http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 06:20:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If by "suicide" you mean "whacked" then suicide it is  (Read 887 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2007, 06:17:34 PM »

Chinese CEO kills self after the toy company was accused of shipping lead-based toys. ninja

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 07:14:58 PM »

This is the first of many I think....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 08:52:21 PM »

Oh I bet he did it himself.

But I bet they handed him the rope and told him to save them the trouble.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 09:30:37 PM »

I kind of like how China doesn't fuck around.  There was one government official who was discovered to have taken $750,000 in bribes.  He was executed.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 09:41:22 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on August 13, 2007, 09:30:37 PM

I kind of like how China doesn't fuck around.  There was one government official who was discovered to have taken $750,000 in bribes.  He was executed.

Climbing the corporate ladder would be SO much easier if we dealt with corporate crime that way.   nod paranoid

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 10:02:15 PM »

I'm sure the Chinese toy industry will be much safer now that this one guy is dead. Feel free to lick all the Sasame Street toys you want, kids!

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 10:31:47 PM »

I doubt if this makes anything much safer. I'm sure the Chinese Government turned a blind eye to this for years. Now that there is international pressure on them, they parade out a few scapegoats. This is a problem that will take decades to fix properly.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 12:46:03 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 13, 2007, 09:41:22 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on August 13, 2007, 09:30:37 PM

Climbing the corporate ladder would be SO much easier if we dealt with corporate crime that way.   nod paranoid

or we could use the Klingon way!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 01:20:43 AM »

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on August 13, 2007, 10:31:47 PM

I doubt if this makes anything much safer. I'm sure the Chinese Government turned a blind eye to this for years. Now that there is international pressure on them, they parade out a few scapegoats. This is a problem that will take decades to fix properly.

+forever.

The government doesn't care (or didn't) as long as the economy was expanding.  Now that they may have a black eye they're moving to 'correct it'...but only superficially so.

I wonder why this isn't an issue for the election. You'd think with all the unsafe stuff they've been sending us, there'd be some kind of backlash.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 01:29:39 AM »

Quote from: Grievous Angel on August 13, 2007, 10:02:15 PM

I'm sure the Chinese toy industry will be much safer now that this one guy is dead. Feel free to lick all the Sasame Street toys you want, kids!
Can you tell me how to get to Sasame Street?

PSN ID: EduardoX
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 01:31:13 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on August 14, 2007, 01:29:39 AM

Quote from: Grievous Angel on August 13, 2007, 10:02:15 PM

Can you tell me how to get to Sasame Street?

it's in Chinatown.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 02:04:17 AM »

its not a big deal for the elections because there is an entire WORLD of special interests involved, all of whom are free trade buffs.  the only one (that ive picked up on so far) who is a bit more protectionist (and even he isnt compared to candidates from years ago) is edwards.  on the republican side ron paul i would guess leans toward a more protectionist stance because he seems to favor a bit of a withdrawal from us entanglement abroad but im pretty much only guessing on his economic policy here.

other than that the republican party broadly is free trade,  and clinton at least WAS pretty unabashedly free trade though shes been backtracking lately to appeal to that magical thing known only to politicians as "the base"

however its a sketchy issue to tackle because cheap chinese imports are a huge check on inflation.  not to mention theres sort of an unspoken arrangement whereby the us imports huge amounts of chinese goods and in exchange the chinese soak up our debt in the form of bonds - which keeps our interest rates low

these are really only the superficial and most obvious reasons why its not a big election issue - there are a thousand and one others - among which the fact that really, how many us citizens have been harmed?  and how rapidly the chinese have been attempting to address the issues.  its ironic how much a communist country is now the land of cowboy capitalism
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 02:51:43 AM »

Any real reform would have to come from within China, but right wingers are always the biggest destroyers of civil rights (and especially labor unions), and the Chinese variety are no different.  Well... not different aside from the fact that US tech firms are helping them keep their citizens under heel.

That's pretty much why they made sure trade from China had no relation to civil rights: why would they bother holding China to a standard they are trying to destroy in the USA?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 02:56:11 AM »

I see China uses the Imperial Army merit system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: