http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 11:17:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to watch a ZOMBIE movie tonight - recommendations?  (Read 1118 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2005, 12:34:52 AM »

So I've got this new thing for zombies, I don't know what it is.  That said, I want a GOOD zombie movie to rent tonight.  I've hardly seen any zombie movies, but I thought Dawn of the Dead was entertaining and 28 Days Later was super creepy-awesome.

Anyone got any recommendations?  I haven't seen *any* of the classics, so that may be somewhere to start...but I don't want LAME zombie movie, either.

TheMissingLink on PSN
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 12:50:52 AM »

I'll go ahead and be the first to suggest the absolutely brilliant, and obligatory suggestion, Shaun of the Dead.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 12:52:27 AM »

Anything starring Goldie Hawn

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 01:16:59 AM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
I'll go ahead and be the first to suggest the absolutely brilliant, and obligatory suggestion, Shaun of the Dead.

Yes!  Forgot to add that, I LOVED that movie!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 02:09:07 AM »

Try the original Dawn of the Dead.  I found the difference between the remake and the original comparable to the difference between Alien and Aliens...  

The 2004 version of DotD is more of an action movie, and the original is more of a horror movie.  The zombies aren't fast, but I prefer the shambling variety to the sprinting kind.

Of course, the original was made in 1978, so it looks somewhat cheezy by today's standards.

I also liked the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead.  I like it more than the 1968 version, simply because I thought they improved the story a bit, and the acting and zombies are better.

I am also one of the few who actually liked Day of the Dead, even though I found that one to be a bit gorier than I usually like.

The first 2 Return of the Living Dead movies aren't terrible, but I don't like my zombies to be funny.  The thing I liked most in Shaun of the Dead was that the zombies were utterly serious, they were not goofy like in the Return of the Living Dead movies.  So, watch the RotLD movies at your own peril.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 02:17:08 AM »

Oh my god no one has yet to suggest Dead Alive?  Kids, before Peter Jackson got a real job, he used to direct these...

i suggest watching it with the girlfriend and a barf bucket - and youll have some interesting opportunities for creative pick up lines...
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 02:30:14 AM »

Lots of great suggestions - I gotta get on those!

*Had* to leave earlier than I wanted (because it's Homecoming here at Wazzu and a football night - so traffic was about to go BONKERS) and picked up a movie named "Undead."  I KNEW I would leave, only to come back to some great movie suggestions...I just looked it up, yup, 25% ROTTEN rating.  Oh well.  It'll make the zombie movies I watch after this that much better.

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 03:12:27 AM »

Well, Sci Fi did have both of their new 'Return of the Living Dead' sequels on tonight....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 04:28:03 AM »

Dangit!  And I was stuck watching "Undead", perhaps one of the worst movies I have ever seen.  Avoid it like the plague!!  Zombies + Aliens?  W.T.F.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 05:18:05 AM »

curious about zombies and aliens huh... might i suggest plan 9 from outer space?  smile bad as bad was intended
pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 12:42:23 PM »

I love Zombie movies - I'll always stop and watch smile

Shawn of the Dead is the best recent one - very funny and plenty of bits flying around.
Dead Alive I wholehartedly second - using a lawnmower as a weapon is classic (note: if you want to see Peter Jackson's start - get Bad Taste.. no Zombies, but people-eating aliens).
For some campy fun (and the immortal 80's B-movie Queen - Linnea Quigley) watch Return of the Living Dead
Day of the Dead is the weaker story of the 3 Romeros, but how can you say no to Bob the Zombie??

Chris.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 03:00:13 PM »

Day of the Dead is the weaker story of the 3 Romeros, but how can you say no to Bob the Zombie??

When his name is "Bub."

I also liked the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead. I like it more than the 1968 version, simply because I thought they improved the story a bit, and the acting and zombies are better.

The problem with the remake is that it demonstrates why shambling zombies are completely unthreatening in the open countryside.  Throughout the movie, the woman tells everyone that they could literally just walk out of there at any moment and the zombies would be too slow to catch them...and by the end, that's exactly what she does.  When a zombie is unable to manipulate its arms well enough to catch someone who strolls by within arm's reach, it's sort of hard to feel the tension of the movie.

-Autistic Angel
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005, 03:32:37 PM »

Well, most of the Night of the Living Dead takes place at night, and it is happening at the beginning of the end.  So, people expect to be rescued, and they don't want to go out into the wilderness full of zombies at night.  I sure wouldn't want to go out there either.

You may be able to get away from them, but if you accidently stumble into some in the dark, you are most likely going to get eaten.  A very unpleasant way to die.

The threat of the romero zombies is never that they will get you quickly.  It is alway that they outnumber you, and there isn't enough ammunition to kill them all.

I just think the 1990 version is a bit better than the 1968 version.  They are mostly the same, just the 1990 version has better special effects, and better acting.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: