http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 08:54:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need some advice  (Read 1065 times)
scandec
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2007, 03:00:45 AM »

When I got home from work today I found the back door of my house open and my 360 PS3 all the games for them and a large number of DVDs had been stolen. I need to know if I should try to get in touch with MS support about the stolen 360 or not.
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 03:10:34 AM »

I'd say it's worth a shot, but I wouldn't get your hopes up about it.

Bummer though... good luck with everything.

gellar
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 03:31:08 AM »

Might as well contact them. Perhaps they can track it if the person logs on the Live.

I would also make sure to contact the local EBs/Gamestops and ask them to look out for anyone selling a 360, PS3, and a bunch of games.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 03:35:35 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on July 12, 2007, 03:31:08 AM

I would also make sure to contact the local EBs/Gamestops and ask them to look out for anyone selling a 360, PS3, and a bunch of games.
Even better if you can fax or email them a list of all the games.  You might want to consider doing the same to any video stores that buy games and pawn shops in the area.  While you're talking to MS, they can also give you the serial number of the unit if you don't have it handy.  That could help police and stores find your stuff.

Do you have any suspects in mind?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
scandec
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 03:38:51 AM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on July 12, 2007, 03:35:35 AM

Even better if you can fax or email them a list of all the games.  You might want to consider doing the same to any video stores that buy games and pawn shops in the area.  While you're talking to MS, they can also give you the serial number of the unit if you don't have it handy.  That could help police and stores find your stuff.

No but the moron used my home phone to make two calls while he was at it. A local number and a cell phone number. The police have both and I googled the local number. It is to a house a few streets over from me.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 03:50:22 AM »

Quote from: scandec on July 12, 2007, 03:38:51 AM

No but the moron used my home phone to make two calls while he was at it. A local number and a cell phone number. The police have both and I googled the local number. It is to a house a few streets over from me.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 04:03:39 AM »

Quote from: scandec on July 12, 2007, 03:38:51 AM

maybe they managed to pull some prints too.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 02:43:54 PM »

Odd that he called a neighbor. It's also good that the police have the numbers. If you don't mind, how much was the stuff worth? I tend to see that this usually makes a difference in how hard police persue these things.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 02:44:16 PM »

Do you have homeowner's insurance?
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 02:55:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 12, 2007, 04:03:39 AM

Very few investigators pull prints for robbery, in my limited experience.  To me, it's always seemed like if the criminal doesn't fall into their lap, that's as far as the case goes.
scandec
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 05:30:13 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on July 12, 2007, 02:55:06 PM

Very few investigators pull prints for robbery, in my limited experience.  To me, it's always seemed like if the criminal doesn't fall into their lap, that's as far as the case goes.

The patrolman who responded pulled prints and checked my phone logs. He called me earlier and they have located about 1/2 of my stuff at a local pawn shop and are working on a warrent to arrest the guy who pawned it and search his place. You have to love living in a small town with strong ties to the federal government.  icon_biggrin
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 06:04:36 PM »

And that is because the FBI has almost enough time to process the fingerprints sent to them for murder, kidnapping, terrorism, torture, rape (sometimes), and other heinous crimes.  As much as I would be devastated if my videogaming life was stolen from me, I would be somewhat surprised if the police fingerprinted for such an event.  Granted, if a suspect is found, they can match the prints - but only if the department has a technician capable of doing so, and the money and the time to support such activities.

Luckily, as a group, criminals are stupid -  and they tend to actions that make it much easier and faster for the police to convict them.  Umm... like using the home phone of the house they burgled, d'oh!  I can't tell you how many times I begged suspects to remain silent - but they insisted on talking themselves into an inevitable conviction. Fingerprints are only the be-all and end-all to crime fighting on television, pretty much.  If they have them, and can use them (happily, in this case, it seems they will) - it is icing on the cake.

And by the way, lol - I was very polite to the man who asked me why I wasn't taking fingerprints off the rotten apple someone threw at him from a passing car.  Did he get the license plate number, or have the vaguest description of the car - or even call within an hour of the event? Oh, no... that's what the police are for!  Sometimes it is not the criminals that are idiots.   disgust

Good luck, scandec, for a Happy Ending to an other-wise sucky event! 

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 06:32:03 PM »

It's good to hear the police are making a decent effort to get your stuff back.  I hope they catch the guy who did it.  What a loser.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 06:55:45 PM »

Quote from: scandec on July 12, 2007, 05:30:13 PM

The patrolman who responded pulled prints and checked my phone logs. He called me earlier and they have located about 1/2 of my stuff at a local pawn shop and are working on a warrent to arrest the guy who pawned it and search his place. You have to love living in a small town with strong ties to the federal government.  icon_biggrin

Wow, pretty nice!

Are there now electronic devices used to capture fingerprints, or do they still rely on tape and powder?  Because if it were as easy as taking a digital picture, I could see a whole lot of crimes being solved a whole lot easier.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 12:45:05 AM »

thumbsup

hopefully it's Purge  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
scandec
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 01:02:57 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on July 12, 2007, 06:55:45 PM

Wow, pretty nice!

Are there now electronic devices used to capture fingerprints, or do they still rely on tape and powder?  Because if it were as easy as taking a digital picture, I could see a whole lot of crimes being solved a whole lot easier.

They may use digital stuff in bigger cities but Oak Ridge TN still uses tape and powder. That stuff makes one god awefull mess too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: