http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 04:15:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need a doctor's note  (Read 5833 times)
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2004, 09:54:52 PM »

Alright, here's the skinny. I work as a security guard and while one person is out on vacation I have to cover her shift in the control room which is ULTRA boring. What I would do to pass the time was surf the net, I still did my job but during the slow times when nothing was going on I would just browse. My supervisor caught me and warned me not to use the computer for personal use, and against her warnings I continued to use the net because I was utterly bored. After catching me again we had a meeting so now I can't use the net, I was thinking about quitting because there was no way I could stand another three days (till the normal person gets back) in the control room especially if I cant use the net. Instead, since I was pretty much at that point where I had nothing to lose, I called in and said I had gotten in a car accident and got a concussion so I couldnt come in. Basically, it got me out of work the rest of the week, but I go back tomorrow and I need a doctors note.

So, if anyone can sympathize with me and can help me out, think you can give me some tips on the format? I'm just gonna make one up on my computer and throw a few Kaiser icons in here and there, but I need to know exactly what they include in the doctors note and so on.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 10:06:06 PM »

It's actually got to the point where I hope you're actually just having us all on. You're approaching U.2.K. land.
Freezer-TPF-
Gaming Trend Senior Member

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 10:35:25 PM »

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 10:35:59 PM »

That was dumb...just tell your boss you cant stand working in the control room. That its ultra boring or whatever. If they refuse and you can afford it then tell them you'll have to get another job if they force you to work control room duty.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 10:47:53 PM »

It won't be dumb if I pull it off, and besides its too late to give them another excuse. I've been researching a bit and found that doctors notes are actually much more general than I thought, they don't even have to put the reason I was under medical care. I can go to my doctor and tell him I'm depressed and get a note if I want... thing is I don't have a doctor =(

I would like to keep the job for another month, once I get another one I'll quit.

Anyhow, any advice yet?
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 11:00:02 PM »

Fucking hell, dude...haven't you ever heard of stuff like a book or a GBA to pass your time?

HELLO!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 11:07:10 PM »

Quote from: "\/\/olverine"
Anyhow, any advice yet?

Stop doing dumb things?

gellar
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 11:29:00 PM »

To teh boss lady,

Yo bitch.  Teh man do not show up for work because he iz teh sick.  His head hurz!!1!11!1   He iz on teh medicine so hiz head won't explode!1!!1OMGWTF!11!!

Teh doctor

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 11:51:30 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"
Anyhow, any advice yet?

Stop doing dumb things?

Like, say, stealing from your employer...
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 12:29:49 AM »

Isn't it like a crime to forge a doctors note?

\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 01:39:08 AM »

Fucking hell, dude...haven't you ever heard of stuff like a book or a GBA to pass your time?

If I cant use the internet what the fuck makes you think I can use a GBA? They just want me to sit there as a statue. And its not dumb, I don't see how my decision to fake an illness to get a few days off equates with unintelligence.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 01:58:19 AM »

If I cant use the internet what the fuck makes you think I can use a GBA? They just want me to sit there as a statue. And its not dumb, I don't see how my decision to fake an illness to get a few days off equates with unintelligence.

It's stupid because you were stupid in that you lied to get out of work.

Take responsibility for your actions.  That's the best thing that you can do.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 02:13:24 AM »

Um, yeah.  So you do what they explicitly tell you not to do, then you lie to get out of it... I'm thinking, you know, that it wasn't the smartest move because you lied about something that's easily checked up on, and now you're scrambling to fake documentation.

My advice is to forget about that job, and definitely not to list that job on your resume, lest any potential future employers find out that you disobey orders, then lie to your employers, and then try to fake your way out of it.  Honestly, a short jail stay for shoplifting would probably look better on a resume than getting that off a phone call to a former employer.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2004, 02:18:48 AM »

Take a blow up sex doll with you and see what they say when they catch you playing with that smile

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2004, 02:23:21 AM »

Man, quit being a tool.  You deserve to be fired.  Especially if it's found out that you're faking a doctor's note.  Your boss, knowing your past history of disobeying orders, will probably check up on your note to see if its legit.  Once she finds out it's not, you're toast, all for being a dishonest fool.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2004, 02:41:18 AM »

If you can't see the stupidity of the action, then you're doomed to repeat it.  Again and again.  But please, do keep posting about your antics smile

gellar
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2004, 02:45:26 AM »

Quote from: "Graham"

It's stupid because you were stupid in that you lied to get out of work.

Take responsibility for your actions.  That's the best thing that you can do.

what do you expect.  He doesn't have responsibilty.  It's the same person who put his cat to sleep because he didn't want to deal with an eye infection
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2004, 02:54:59 AM »

Dude, just go to work without a note, don't bring it up, and if somebody asks, just tell them that you forgot.

zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2004, 03:06:38 AM »

Though I'm not sure why I'm bothering to post this, after more thought you should really own up now, because they would have every right to get you into serious legal trouble.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2004, 03:49:48 AM »

Just print this off and show it to your boss.  Tell her you really weren't at the doctor but were out on important court business.  How could she argue with the Krimnal Sopina?

El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2004, 02:07:04 PM »

Yeah, forging a doctor's note is definitely fraudulent, though I imagine with security guards they're far more likely to just fire you than to bother with any sort of legal punishment.  I think I'd just quit at this point; you hate the job, this would avoid the hassle, and you wouldn't have to worry about getting in trouble for forging a doctor's note.

And next time, just fake an illness; it's much easier to deal with than a car crash and a concussion.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2004, 02:26:14 PM »

Wolverine, seeing as the request is illegal, it doesn't have a place here.

For everyone else, 15 yard penalty for piling on.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2004, 02:53:28 PM »

I'm sowwy oh and IN BEFORE THE LOCK w00t!!!!

Ascendent
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2004, 03:42:15 PM »

SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2004, 11:13:17 PM »

I'll give some semi-serious advice.

Seriously, if you're going to skip work... just use a real illness. Say you have the flu or you were running a fever.  And for god's sake never EVER do more than one day... esspecially when you're on thin ice. Doctor's notes are hard to come by... but I'd say if you visit the ER or just go in for a checkup you can probably get something.  This is all assuming of course, that you only missed out for one day with a 'fever'. A whole week with a 'concussion'... well good luck with all that.

You didn't fake an illness... You faked an injury.  And you got greedy and skipped a whole lot more than a normal person can get away with.

So yeah.

Just Hiro will do.
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2004, 12:47:33 AM »

Eh, you guys are squares slywink This risk paid off anyhow.

Dude, just go to work without a note, don't bring it up, and if somebody asks, just tell them that you forgot.

Thats exactly what I did today actually, turns out they don't care about the note they're just glad I'm back and healthy. Not only that, but the receptionist/conference schedule lady decided to quit while I was gone because she's having a baby and she wants to dedicate more time to her family, blah blah blah, so I get to take her position which is awesome. Although, now I have to dress more professionally (nice long-sleeve button up, tie), but I love the added responsibility. My first name plate too, woohoo =) Now I'm just wondering if a pay increase is in order because I know she was getting paid more than I was.
RookieCAF
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2004, 01:28:48 AM »

Just what you need, Positive reinforcement for Negative behavior. WTG.

Hows the Cat?

~Rookie
Attitude Determines Altitude
JSHAW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2004, 01:28:50 AM »

I give him 6 months before he's fired for using company PC to surf the internet.  :twisted:
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2004, 01:46:23 AM »

I just raised the probability that this is all made up.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2004, 02:02:06 AM »

Quote from: "El Guapo"

Are you saying that his boss was the founder of the Black Panthers?

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Freyland
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2004, 02:40:11 AM »

Actually,  I'm a doctor.  Not that it's going to help you any, but I just thought you should know.   Cool

Jonathan, M.D.     Internal Medicine-Pediatrics
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2004, 03:09:13 AM »

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on teh intarweb.
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2004, 05:57:00 AM »

You know, honestly I almost didn't want to post what happened because I was afraid of that. Don't know what I could do to convince you guys though, just gotta take my word for it =) My mom's reaction was "you never learn...", if that adds any reality to the mix.

I give him 6 months before he's fired for using company PC to surf the internet

I give myself about 1 month before I turn 21, complete my bartending classes (which I take this weekend and the following), find a job as a bartender and quit the security job.

Thanks for 30+ replies and not a single one that helped, hehe. I don't see why you guys have to be so negative about my "antics", I don't need to post them on this message board but its just for the sake of discussion and I enjoy some of the feedback. Would you really prefer all that all the threads pertained to mocking celebrities for goofing and "this is the hottest chick ever!" images?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2004, 06:11:22 AM »

Ok Im curious...lots of people want to be bartenders...i dont see the draw....why do you and others want to be bartenders?...is the pay better than the seemingly crummy work?

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2004, 06:44:22 AM »

Bartending isn't necessarily crummy work.  I've never done it myself, but I had a friend in college who did it.  The money can be very good as long as you're good at mixing the drinks and you keep them coming within reason.

To be honest, I'd be willing to bet his answer would be its a way to both make money and maybe find a lady (or ladies) he can have relations with.  This isn't a strike against him, it's just a large draw for men going into bartending.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2004, 07:27:19 AM »

Kinda mystified by the response here.  He managed to put one over on a shit job and actually come out ahead. Way to go! I always feel bad for our security guards, sitting at their little desk, not allowed to read or use the computer...just sit and watch the clock tick. Any employer that puts a thinking being into a job like that  and then sticks a computer with an internet connection in front of them is just asking for it.

Way to put one over on The Man, Wolvie! The rest of you should go watch Fight Club again, or at least Chaplin's Modern Times. Y'all have turned into cogs! Cogs, I tell you! Cogs!

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2004, 11:42:50 AM »

Wow...

Pretty shocked to see so many holier-than-thou responses here.

I guess attitudes vary a lot more across country than I expected. In Denmark, where I live, this kind of thing isn't a big deal. Naturally, people are expected to be at work, but faking illness is not uncommon.

What's even more amazing is that we have a pretty healthy economy, and in general do very well competetively. It seems we can make it work without sacrificing ourselves for the job. Everyone can use a day off now and then, and this example really doesn't strike me as such a big thing.

Anyway, just wanted to offer a different perspective on this. But you should remember that I'm the kind of guy who refuses to give up my personal freedom for the job, at least not as much as most people I know. Sure, it has consequences, but in the end my girlfriend, family and friends mean infinitely more to me than how much the company I work for earns/produces. I won't climb the ranks very fast, if at all, but I earn a decent living and can maintain a decent life. More than that I really don't need.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2004, 02:28:08 PM »

Good luck finding a job as a bartender being a "just turned 21" male, as most places want experienced, hot chicks for those spots smile
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2004, 03:32:54 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Good luck finding a job as a bartender being a "just turned 21" male, as most places want experienced, hot chicks for those spots smile

Yep.  Maybe with your flawless record in the security business, you could stand at the door and check IDs.

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2004, 04:37:17 PM »

Quote from: "DArtagnan"
Everyone can use a day off now and then, and this example really doesn't strike me as such a big thing.

Yes, but honest people call those "vacation days". See, that's what they're there for. I've taken sick days that I could have gone into work on (though the quality of my work wouldn't have been up to standard) but I've certainly never lied to my employer. There's a mutual respect issue there. If that's being holier-than-thou, well, guess I am.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: