http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 05:49:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I must admit, I love acappella music  (Read 371 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2013, 07:08:13 PM »

I was a huge fan of The Sing Off, and am very disappointed NBC didn't bring it back.  As such I have kept following a few of the bands who were on the show and recently saw that Street Corner Symphony released a video, and I must say it is really good.

Any other fans of acappella out there?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:23:54 PM »

Honestly not a big fan (and I hate all the damn cheesy band names), but everyone should experience Van Canto at least once.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 10:48:34 PM »

I like a cappella quite a lot. I used to make a point of tuning into a college radio station's a cappella show every Saturday afternoon, but it didn't take me long to get my fill of their repertoire -- too many college groups covering show tunes and pop songs. I guess that's probably what their audiences want, but I soon found that I was only enjoying about 1 song out of every 5 or 6 they play.

It's hard to find good youtube versions of my favorites, such as "Galileo." I do like this version of "Wanting Memories," though. 

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:41:09 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on May 06, 2013, 10:48:34 PM

I like a cappella quite a lot. I used to make a point of tuning into a college radio station's a cappella show every Saturday afternoon, but it didn't take me long to get my fill of their repertoire -- too many college groups covering show tunes and pop songs. I guess that's probably what their audiences want, but I soon found that I was only enjoying about 1 song out of every 5 or 6 they play.

It's hard to find good youtube versions of my favorites, such as "Galileo." I do like this version of "Wanting Memories," though. 

Thank you very much for linking to that Ironrod, that is really good.  I am really looking forward to Street Corner Symphony's next album, as it is all original music, no covers supposedly.  I also really like some of the older a cappella such as Jerry Lawson and The Persuasions, who really was the group that started "mainstream" a cappella.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 03:14:34 AM »

The Walk of Shame is an example of the type of a cappella I like. Hard to find decent youtube recordings of these songs.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 03:23:32 AM »

I used to fairly regularly listen to the same college radio a capella show that Ironrod mentioned, "All A Cappella."  It sounds like you would enjoy it if you checked it out. Looks like they have an online stream: http://wers.org/

Have you seen Pitch Perfect?
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 06:00:05 AM »

I like a capella singing when it is a solo singer leading into a song, I'm not into group a capella songs nearly as much.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 01:20:17 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on May 07, 2013, 03:14:34 AM

The Walk of Shame is an example of the type of a cappella I like. Hard to find decent youtube recordings of these songs.

I didn't care for the lyrics, but the harmonies were very good.
dfs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 01:34:31 PM »

nothing better than good accappella.

That said, there's a lot of lukewarm accappella out there.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 02:03:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 07, 2013, 03:23:32 AM

I used to fairly regularly listen to the same college radio a capella show that Ironrod mentioned, "All A Cappella."  It sounds like you would enjoy it if you checked it out. Looks like they have an online stream: http://wers.org/

I have not seen Pitch Perfect, it is very rare for me to watch a movie these days.  I don't think I have been to a movie theater in the last 8 or 9 years.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 02:19:25 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 07, 2013, 02:03:44 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 07, 2013, 03:23:32 AM

I have not seen Pitch Perfect, it is very rare for me to watch a movie these days.  I don't think I have been to a movie theater in the last 8 or 9 years.

There are some new technologies that allow one to see movies in their own home!  They call it Home-O-Vision. slywink

If you're not a movie fan, I don't know if you'd like this one, but you may want to at least check out the soundtrack.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 09:45:17 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 07, 2013, 02:19:25 PM

There are some new technologies that allow one to see movies in their own home!  They call it Home-O-Vision. slywink

If you're not a movie fan, I don't know if you'd like this one, but you may want to at least check out the soundtrack.

One should be careful if they say Home-O-Vision too quickly....

I will have to check out the soundtrack, as yeah I am not a big movie fan anymore.

Edit: And I just listened to a bit of the soundtrack, wow that was not very good, not to mention I don't think I could listen to 90% of it with my kids around.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:48:47 PM by Arkon » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 01:10:32 PM »

With good timing, Straight No Chaser just released a new album, in which they collaborated with some incredible artists.  The list includes Sara Bareilles, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Dolly Parton and a few others!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 02:40:49 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 06, 2013, 07:23:54 PM

Honestly not a big fan (and I hate all the damn cheesy band names), but everyone should experience Van Canto at least once.

LOL, I knew Van Canto would come up.  These clowns are beyond awful.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: