http://gamingtrend.com
December 17, 2014, 08:11:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I must admit, I love acappella music  (Read 477 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2013, 07:08:13 PM »

I was a huge fan of The Sing Off, and am very disappointed NBC didn't bring it back.  As such I have kept following a few of the bands who were on the show and recently saw that Street Corner Symphony released a video, and I must say it is really good.

Any other fans of acappella out there?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:23:54 PM »

Honestly not a big fan (and I hate all the damn cheesy band names), but everyone should experience Van Canto at least once.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 10:48:34 PM »

I like a cappella quite a lot. I used to make a point of tuning into a college radio station's a cappella show every Saturday afternoon, but it didn't take me long to get my fill of their repertoire -- too many college groups covering show tunes and pop songs. I guess that's probably what their audiences want, but I soon found that I was only enjoying about 1 song out of every 5 or 6 they play.

It's hard to find good youtube versions of my favorites, such as "Galileo." I do like this version of "Wanting Memories," though. 

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:41:09 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on May 06, 2013, 10:48:34 PM

I like a cappella quite a lot. I used to make a point of tuning into a college radio station's a cappella show every Saturday afternoon, but it didn't take me long to get my fill of their repertoire -- too many college groups covering show tunes and pop songs. I guess that's probably what their audiences want, but I soon found that I was only enjoying about 1 song out of every 5 or 6 they play.

It's hard to find good youtube versions of my favorites, such as "Galileo." I do like this version of "Wanting Memories," though. 

Thank you very much for linking to that Ironrod, that is really good.  I am really looking forward to Street Corner Symphony's next album, as it is all original music, no covers supposedly.  I also really like some of the older a cappella such as Jerry Lawson and The Persuasions, who really was the group that started "mainstream" a cappella.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 03:14:34 AM »

The Walk of Shame is an example of the type of a cappella I like. Hard to find decent youtube recordings of these songs.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 03:23:32 AM »

I used to fairly regularly listen to the same college radio a capella show that Ironrod mentioned, "All A Cappella."  It sounds like you would enjoy it if you checked it out. Looks like they have an online stream: http://wers.org/

Have you seen Pitch Perfect?
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 06:00:05 AM »

I like a capella singing when it is a solo singer leading into a song, I'm not into group a capella songs nearly as much.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 01:20:17 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on May 07, 2013, 03:14:34 AM

The Walk of Shame is an example of the type of a cappella I like. Hard to find decent youtube recordings of these songs.

I didn't care for the lyrics, but the harmonies were very good.
dfs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 01:34:31 PM »

nothing better than good accappella.

That said, there's a lot of lukewarm accappella out there.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 02:03:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 07, 2013, 03:23:32 AM

I used to fairly regularly listen to the same college radio a capella show that Ironrod mentioned, "All A Cappella."  It sounds like you would enjoy it if you checked it out. Looks like they have an online stream: http://wers.org/

I have not seen Pitch Perfect, it is very rare for me to watch a movie these days.  I don't think I have been to a movie theater in the last 8 or 9 years.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 02:19:25 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 07, 2013, 02:03:44 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 07, 2013, 03:23:32 AM

I have not seen Pitch Perfect, it is very rare for me to watch a movie these days.  I don't think I have been to a movie theater in the last 8 or 9 years.

There are some new technologies that allow one to see movies in their own home!  They call it Home-O-Vision. slywink

If you're not a movie fan, I don't know if you'd like this one, but you may want to at least check out the soundtrack.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 09:45:17 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 07, 2013, 02:19:25 PM

There are some new technologies that allow one to see movies in their own home!  They call it Home-O-Vision. slywink

If you're not a movie fan, I don't know if you'd like this one, but you may want to at least check out the soundtrack.

One should be careful if they say Home-O-Vision too quickly....

I will have to check out the soundtrack, as yeah I am not a big movie fan anymore.

Edit: And I just listened to a bit of the soundtrack, wow that was not very good, not to mention I don't think I could listen to 90% of it with my kids around.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:48:47 PM by Arkon » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 01:10:32 PM »

With good timing, Straight No Chaser just released a new album, in which they collaborated with some incredible artists.  The list includes Sara Bareilles, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Dolly Parton and a few others!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 02:40:49 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 06, 2013, 07:23:54 PM

Honestly not a big fan (and I hate all the damn cheesy band names), but everyone should experience Van Canto at least once.

LOL, I knew Van Canto would come up.  These clowns are beyond awful.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: