http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 10:34:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I might have to move back to LA if this happens  (Read 1774 times)
Pyperkub
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2008, 12:36:39 AM »

After agonizing over it and finally giving up the 49er season tickets which have been in the family for almost 40 years (since the Kezar stadium days), in part because they jacked prices in our section 30%, but also because I didn't want to support the train wreck the team has been under John York, as compared to Eddie DeBartolo, I see this article today:

Sources: Rams up for sale and this quote:

While DeBartolo said he has only a "slight" interest in purchasing the Rams, who sources say are being shopped in the $850 million to $900 million range, he conceded that part of the deal's allure would be the possibility of filling the void in the L.A. market that has existed since the Rams and Raiders left town before the '95 season.

NOOOOOO!  While I would love to see the Rams back in LA, can't we trade York, and get Eddie D back in SF where he belongs?  He can't go to the Rams, that would simply be wrong.  Like Joe Gibbs coaching the Cowboys.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 12:45:30 AM »

Heh, I gave up my seats this year too.  I figured that the only reason I'd be getting them in the off chance that Martz could make the offense passable enough to climb to the top of the mediocre NFC West while Seattle collapses, thus getting the Niners in the playoffs.  I decided that that was very unlikely and if it did (to the point the Niners got to host a playoff game), scalping a pair of tickets would still be cheaper than the $1400 to renew my pair for the season.

On topic - A new LA Rams owned by DeBartelo would definitely be something I could get behind, though I doubt I could ever stop rooting for the Niners.

gellar
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 03:16:39 PM »

I can't see the niners in the playoffs this year.  Martz was the wrong hire for this team.  Fragile QB's and a crappy OL is no way to run Martz's system.  They really should have gotten Cameron to be OC.  Additionally, looking at the schedule, there is no way they go to the playoffs.

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 04:45:27 PM »

Why would anyone ever want to move a team to LA? It is not a sports town, plain and simple.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 04:53:50 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 21, 2008, 04:45:27 PM

Why would anyone ever want to move a team to LA? It is not a sports town, plain and simple.

Wat?

Dodgers #3 in MLB, average team
Angels #6 in MLB, good team
Kings #21 in NHL, 92% attendance, shitty team
Lakers #11 in NBA, 98% attendance
Clippers #19 in NBA, 89% attendance, historically dismal team

It's the largest media market in the nation and CLEARLY people there go to games.  People watch the games on TV, which equals huge $$$ in advertising.  You'd have to be an idiot not to want a team there.

gellar
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 06:08:37 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 21, 2008, 04:45:27 PM

Gellar proved how wrong you are on that point.  But here's another thing: no NFL team is going to come to LA until we build a new stadium.  The Colosseum facilities are ancient, with no high dollar luxury boxes that owners love and need.  The City has shot down any kind of funding proposal that does not involve renovations to that dinosaur, and renovations will just not cut it anymore.  I don't know about Goodell's attitude towards it, but Tagliabue was insistent that city funds of some kind be used to help pay for a new stadium, nixing any all-private funding of the thing. So we're stuck...

...Stuck with three games on Sunday morning/afternoon.  Oh, yeah!!! Tongue
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 06:20:57 AM »

Quote from: gellar on May 21, 2008, 04:53:50 PM

Did they ever not suck since the Great One left?

I mean, you took Cloutier after seeing him play in Vancouver.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 06:48:55 AM »

There's zero chance the Rams are going back to LA.  Zero.

That said, there could be a team to move there.  But it won't be the Rams.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 11:57:44 AM »

It's the largest media market in the nation and CLEARLY people there go to games.  People watch the games on TV, which equals huge $$$ in advertising.  You'd have to be an idiot not to want a team there.
And yet this huge "sports town" market couldn't hold onto *2* NFL franchises. When the NFL expanded it couldn't put together a package that was more enticing than Houston to attract an expansion team. Houston. The Coliseum is just dismal, and Los Angeles just can't get its shit together to renovate it or to win a vote in a suburb to build new.

Attendance for both the LA Raiders and LA Rams was never good and rarely sold out.

Look at USC football attendance over the past 10 years. Actually I'll help. Link. "USC has broken its average home attendance record four times in a row: reaching 77,804 in 2003, 85,229 in 2004, 90,812 in 2005 and over 91,416 with one game to go in 2006 (the capacity of the Coliseum is 92,000)." Look at the University of Michigan football attendance. It's not even a top 10 market anymore.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 02:26:38 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 22, 2008, 11:57:44 AM

And yet this huge "sports town" market couldn't hold onto *2* NFL franchises. When the NFL expanded it couldn't put together a package that was more enticing than Houston to attract an expansion team. Houston. The Coliseum is just dismal, and Los Angeles just can't get its shit together to renovate it or to win a vote in a suburb to build new.

That has more to do with the fact that there is no suitable football stadium in Los Angeles for a team than it does the city itself.

Attendance for both the LA Raiders and LA Rams was never good and rarely sold out.

Towards the end, this was definitely true.  However, you gotta consider that both teams were bad, played in bad stadiums, and played in geographically undesirable places.

Look at USC football attendance over the past 10 years. Actually I'll help. Link. "USC has broken its average home attendance record four times in a row: reaching 77,804 in 2003, 85,229 in 2004, 90,812 in 2005 and over 91,416 with one game to go in 2006 (the capacity of the Coliseum is 92,000)." Look at the University of Michigan football attendance. It's not even a top 10 market anymore.

So your argument is that because USC cannot fill a 92,000 person shithole of a stadium (but they still sell 90,000 tickets), LA is not a top 10 sports market?  Alrighty.

Don't get me wrong, I hate just about everything about LA.  I left that godforsaken place for a reason.  I still think you'd be a total buffoon not to want a sports team there.

gellar
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 02:45:41 PM »

I think there are two different conversations defining what a sports town is going on here.

1)  There are a lot of people who pay attention to sports.

2)  They don't fill the stadiums and they don't inspire the town to welcome a team.

In essence you are agreeing:

both teams were bad, played in bad stadiums, and played in geographically undesirable places.

Cheeba lived around a town that supported a Dead Wings organization that went some fifty years without a cup.  Supports a baseball team that goes cold for decades at a time.  And supports what it probably the worst team in NFL history.  Parents live to take their kids to sporting practice.  Everyone in the state consider themselves honorary Wolverines unless they went they have a degree from Spartieville.  They go see bad teams, in bad stadiums, in geographically undesirable places.

The results for one kind of Sports Town:  The Lions
The results for another kind of Sports Town:  The Wolverines
The results for a third kind of Sports Town:  There is no market for us in your town.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 02:54:01 PM »

I am talking strictly from a biz standpoint.  I agree that LA fans are for the most part total douchebags.  However, they are douchebags with money, a gigantic television market, and have proven that if the stadium is nice enough (Staples Center) or the team is worth a crap, they will come out to the games.  The market is too good not to want something there.

However, if I was to field a team with zero hope of winning anything ever, I'd put it in a place where there are less things to do than Los Angeles.  Detroit is a good example.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 02:57:49 PM »

It's also worth noting that the Lions were 30th in the NFL in average attendance and 26th in the NFL in % attendance last year.  They've been in the bottom 10 of the NFL attendance for as long as I've looked up (all of the 2000s).  The Tigers had DISMAL (near 50%) attendance figures up until 2006.

gellar
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 03:00:24 PM by gellar » Logged
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 03:00:29 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 22, 2008, 02:26:38 PM

So your argument is that because USC cannot fill a 92,000 person shithole of a stadium (but they still sell 90,000 tickets), LA is not a top 10 sports market?  Alrighty.
No, I'm not saying LA is not a top 10 sports market. I'm saying that the Detroit area is no longer a top 10 media market, and yet, an hour from Detroit, Michigan Football has averaged well over 100k fans per game since 1975. And Michigan Stadium is nothing but a huge bowl with bleachers.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 03:01:37 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 22, 2008, 03:00:29 PM

Quote from: gellar on May 22, 2008, 02:26:38 PM

No, I'm not saying LA is not a top 10 sports market. I'm saying that the Detroit area is no longer a top 10 media market, and yet, an hour from Detroit, Michigan Football has averaged well over 100k fans per game since 1975. And Michigan Stadium is nothing but a huge bowl with bleachers.

Name 10 sports markets you'd rather be in (if you were an owner) than Los Angeles.

gellar
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 03:15:55 PM »

Are you asking for football or in general? For football:

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Dallas
4. Philadelphia
5. Houston
6. Washington, DC
7. Boston
8. Detroit
9. Green Bay
10. St. Louis
11. Indianapolis
12. Pittsburgh

I would expect a more devoted fan base than LA in any of those markets. I agree on paper Los Angeles would be pretty much impossible to give up in a business sense - too much potential for reward - but I'd still rather have a bleed-my-color town that lived and died by my team's performance.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 03:32:56 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 22, 2008, 03:01:37 PM

Name 10 sports markets you'd rather be in (if you were an owner) than Los Angeles.

gellar

Apparently there have been at least seven that owners would rather be in since 1995:

St Louis
Oakland
Carolina
Jacksonville
Baltimore
Houston
Tennessee

I don't know why.  But they all chose somewhere that wasn't LA.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 03:35:02 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on May 22, 2008, 03:32:56 PM

Pssst. It's because LA isn't a sports town slywink.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 03:37:47 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 22, 2008, 03:35:02 PM

I think it's actually because the idiot politicians in LA refuse to give a dime to help build or renovate a stadium.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 03:41:16 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 22, 2008, 03:15:55 PM

I would expect a more devoted fan base than LA in any of those markets.

You'd expect wrong.

2. Chicago (29th in the NFL in % attended last year)
8. Detroit (26th)
10. St. Louis (20th)
11. Indianapolis (25th)
12. Pittsburgh (24th)
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 03:42:23 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 22, 2008, 03:41:16 PM

You'd expect wrong.

8. Detroit (26th)
10. St. Louis (20th)
11. Indianapolis (25th)
12. Pittsburgh (24th)

where'd ya get those numbers?  Just curious...
newcastle

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 03:45:59 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 22, 2008, 03:37:47 PM

I think it's actually because the idiot politicians in LA refuse to give a dime to help build or renovate a stadium.

gellar

I am actually happy that those idiot politicians dont give a dime to them billionaire owners to help fund their stadiums...I always think of it as corporate welfare. Tax breaks I can agree with, some negotiations and incentives I can deal with...but when owners expect the local goverments to pony up large swaths of cash...that's where i draw the line.

You also forget, in the winter time, it's nice in LA....people can go golfing, hiking, enjoy outdoor activities. THey are not restrained by the weather like many othe NFL cities. Dont underestimate that. I was actually pretty peeved at first when the raiders left....too young to really appreciate the rams longevity here....but honestly since then...i really could care less if the NFL comes back or not.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 03:52:04 PM »

Again, I think you guys are saying the same thing and just arguing over the nomenclature of what "a sports town" is.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 03:56:53 PM »

You'd expect wrong.

8. Detroit (26th)
10. St. Louis (20th)
11. Indianapolis (25th)
12. Pittsburgh (24th)

And what was LA's % attendance last year? smile
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 04:02:15 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 22, 2008, 03:42:23 PM

You'd expect wrong.

8. Detroit (26th)
10. St. Louis (20th)
11. Indianapolis (25th)
12. Pittsburgh (24th)

where'd ya get those numbers?  Just curious...

Oddly enough, ESPN has them.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 04:03:42 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on May 22, 2008, 03:52:04 PM

Again, I think you guys are saying the same thing and just arguing over the nomenclature of what "a sports town" is.

You're right.  I'm just arguing for the side of empirical data vs the side of warm and fuzzies.  I get what cheeba is saying to an extent, I think just about EVERY city is a better 'feeling' city than LA to have a team.  I'm just saying that the data doesn't match up to that and as far as biz goes, you gotta go with the data.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2008, 04:04:06 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 22, 2008, 03:56:53 PM

You'd expect wrong.

8. Detroit (26th)
10. St. Louis (20th)
11. Indianapolis (25th)
12. Pittsburgh (24th)

And what was LA's % attendance last year? smile

Error cannot divide by 0?

gellar
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2008, 04:18:22 PM »

On a side note, selling itself as a sports town, Detroit had a sports campain called April in the D.  It was everywhere across the media, though mostly through Fox, who broadcast games almost seven nights a week.  I have to say I didn't get the campaign.   I song was stupid.  And if we ever start nicknaming Detroit "The D" I am going to find the marketing firms that started that shit and show them why we are the Murder City.  The D?  That's worse than the people who started wearing 313 as some sort of local hip hop answer to Oakland and LA.  We have a million acceptable handles already.  If you are going to market a new one at least make it a good one.  Otherwise, steal your pay by going down to Dally in the Alley or host of other festivals happening every weekend from now until August and see what real local development and city opinion is doing.
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »

You'd expect wrong.

8. Detroit (26th)
10. St. Louis (20th)
11. Indianapolis (25th)
12. Pittsburgh (24th)

Pittsburgh at 24th is not an indictment of how the team is run, because of the business model in Pittsburgh and the realities of the weather in an open air stadium.

The Rooney Family purposefully undersized their stadium by modern standards in order to maintain a more constant level of attendance in an outdoor stadium in Late November through the Playoffs.  If it was somehow under 20 F in LA in an open air stadium, you'd have a point.  You would also have a city that is shut down instead of holding a football game.

Compare it to their overall result, away games included, and they jump to the top half in the league at 14th, because they are in the top 5 on road attendance percentage.  People show up to watch the Steelers on the road because of the Population exodus in a depressed industrial economy.  Pittsburgh moved to where the Jobs are, and took their team with them to their new town of employment.

Pittsburgh has a small stadium that is always sold out and has a generation-long waitinglist for season tickets.  When you have a child, put their name on the waiting list and they might get a shot at it before they are married and out of school.  The fans there don't show up, even though the tickets are sold, in the late regular season, usually because they have a place in the playoffs clinched and its too cold to make sense to sit there and freeze off your perogis.  Hats off to the Lambeau crowd for toughing it out.  We'd rather be warm.

The Rooneys make their money on merchendaising.  You could lock the fans out of the stadium and it would still turn them a profit.  I would be very surprised if anyone outsold the Steelers on liscenced gear.

Done posting
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 05:25:26 PM »

Quote from: CSL on May 22, 2008, 06:20:57 AM

Not to mention they took Crawford after his days of being an effective coach were long gone. I don't recall LA being a real conentder since Gretz left, but damn if it isn't impressive that they can sell that many tickets while being the western conferences' bottom dwellers.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 05:39:35 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 22, 2008, 02:57:49 PM

It's also worth noting that the Lions were 30th in the NFL in average attendance and 26th in the NFL in % attendance last year.  They've been in the bottom 10 of the NFL attendance for as long as I've looked up (all of the 2000s).  The Tigers had DISMAL (near 50%) attendance figures up until 2006.

gellar

You are misguided if you are blaming the Detroit sports market for that.  That was because both franchises were losing games at a historic pace.  Both the Pistons and the Red Wings have enjoyed extremely high attendance levels and not coincidently are in still in contention for their respective league championships.  Bottom line:  winning puts butts in the seats, even in Detroit.  (the Tigers are a perfect example of that)

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 05:41:12 PM »

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on May 22, 2008, 05:21:00 PM

You'd expect wrong.

8. Detroit (26th)
10. St. Louis (20th)
11. Indianapolis (25th)
12. Pittsburgh (24th)

Pittsburgh at 24th is not an indictment of how the team is run, because of the business model in Pittsburgh and the realities of the weather in an open air stadium.

The Rooney Family purposefully undersized their stadium by modern standards in order to maintain a more constant level of attendance in an outdoor stadium in Late November through the Playoffs.  If it was somehow under 20 F in LA in an open air stadium, you'd have a point.  You would also have a city that is shut down instead of holding a football game.

Compare it to their overall result, away games included, and they jump to the top half in the league at 14th, because they are in the top 5 on road attendance percentage.  People show up to watch the Steelers on the road because of the Population exodus in a depressed industrial economy.  Pittsburgh moved to where the Jobs are, and took their team with them to their new town of employment.

Pittsburgh has a small stadium that is always sold out and has a generation-long waitinglist for season tickets.  When you have a child, put their name on the waiting list and they might get a shot at it before they are married and out of school.  The fans there don't show up, even though the tickets are sold, in the late regular season, usually because they have a place in the playoffs clinched and its too cold to make sense to sit there and freeze off your perogis.  Hats off to the Lambeau crowd for toughing it out.  We'd rather be warm.

Fair point, but the figures still stand.  Green Bay, New England, Philly, Denver, and (to a lesser extent) Washington have shitty weather, but people still go out there.

The Rooneys make their money on merchendaising.  You could lock the fans out of the stadium and it would still turn them a profit.  I would be very surprised if anyone outsold the Steelers on liscenced gear.

Just pulling it out of my ass, but I'd venture that the Raiders and Cowboys would outsell on licensed gear.  I hate them both.

gellar
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 05:41:48 PM »

gellar

The answer as to why there is no NFL team in LA has nothing to do with fans' attitudes or the perceived fan base, it is the fact that there are no luxury boxes.  Without the modern amounts of money that can be generated by luxury/corporate boxes, it isn't viable for an NFL owner to move to LA, the existing 100 year old stadiums don't have them and can't really add them - which doesn't matter as much to the college teams because of the the alumni donations.  NFL teams all share in the TV revenues, so the thing that differentiates teams in terms of income is how much it can make from merchandising and more importantly, stadium operations.  An NFL team in LA with a new stadium in a desirable location will make tons of money.  Eddie D as the owner could make a mint.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2008, 06:55:36 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on May 22, 2008, 05:25:26 PM

Quote from: CSL on May 22, 2008, 06:20:57 AM

Not to mention they took Crawford after his days of being an effective coach were long gone. I don't recall LA being a real conentder since Gretz left, but damn if it isn't impressive that they can sell that many tickets while being the western conferences' bottom dwellers.

Yeah no shit.  As a LONG SUFFERING Kings fan, I am not a huge fan of the hiring decisions.  There is hope now with Kopitar, Brown, Johnson, Frolov, and O'Sullivan, but the goaltending situation has gotta get better.

They were decidedly average bordering on good when they had Palffy, Allison, and Deadmarsh pre lockout.  Of course that same season when they were looking so good, Allison and Deadmarsh both got severely injured (cost Deadmarsh his career) and poof went the season.

gellar
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2008, 08:12:23 PM »

There is a fair amount of evidence that there will be an NFL team in LA in the next ten years, most likely a relocated team.  While the Rams won't be going back, even if their lease does end in a few years,there are some other teams that are a lot less locked into their cities and that the NFL privately views as marginal markets.  Plus, DeBartolo isn't the only potential owner for the Rams.

Now, the obvious question is why the NFL would want to go back to LA.  It's about money, naturally.  A team in LA increases the value of the next TV contract (they are going to start negotiating that this fall.) A team in LA would likely mean a merchandising boom as folks there bought all that licensed merchandise (which is shared equally among teams). 

As for a stadium, there is a private developer who has a plan in place who already owns the land and it's a central location. 

http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com/

Finally, is LA a good sports market?  Well, the football history isn't great, but no one complains about attendance to baseball and basketball games.  Like a lot of US cities, LA is a bandwagon town.  A winning or competitive NFL team would do just fine in LA.  If they suck, then they will struggle.  But that's true of a lot of NFL cities.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 09:18:10 PM by Sarkus » Logged

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2008, 09:16:19 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on May 22, 2008, 08:12:23 PM

Finally, is LA a good sports market?  Well, the football history isn't great, but no one complains about attendance to baseball and basketball games.  Like a lot of US cities, LA is a bandwagon town.  A winning or competitive NFL team would do just fine in LA.  If they suck, then they will struggle.  But that's true of a lot of NFL cities.

Football attendance is a hard one to judge.  It was just plain not safe for you to take your family to Raiders games.  Gangbangers of every stripe loved the Raiders colors, loved the bad boy mystique, and flocked to the games.  You get that many conflicting gang members into one stadium, fill them full of beer and there were large fights every weekend.  Ask Charger fan which visiting team they hate the most and I'll guarantee that the Raiders are the top of the list due to the large amount of LA-based Raider fans that come down for the games (and fights).  Few with the kind of cash it takes to buy season tickets are going to subject themselves to that.  I think a new team bringing a different kind of attitude will do great here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: