http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 12:59:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I may be a knuckle-dragging Eagles fan...  (Read 1017 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2006, 02:09:02 AM »

...but I don't throw bottles at opposing fans (perhaps batteries or snowballs, but not bottles).  This afternoon I witnessed a rather ugly display of behavior when a disgruntled Giants fan threw a bottle of hot sauce from the second level of our local Eagles bar at the general crowd of Eagles fans below that shattered on our table, missed my wife by inches, and cut my thigh bad enough to make stopping the bleeding a formidable challenge (apparently beer does thin the blood).  A small group of Giants fans visited our local Eagles bar for today's Giants/Eagles game, making it a point to be rather vocal throughout the game, and up to a point there was a relatively civil level of competition, with opposing cheers being exchanged throughout the game.  It was one hell of an exciting game, and the energy level and emotion in the bar was the highest of the season.  It was an amazing and much-needed victory, and I should be on top of the world with the possibility of still being able to make the playoffs.  But, after an Eagles interception for a touchdown near the end of the game to seal a Philadelphia victory, I turned around to see a Giants fan hurl a bottle of hot sauce from the upper balcony of the bar at the general Eagles crowd below (which would have probably hit me in the back of my head had I still been sitting). 

There was a time when the PeteRock of old would have climbed up the balcony railing like Spiderman and wrapped his hands around the bastard's neck, and if my wife would have been injured in the incident, I very well may have (along with the entire Desert Eagles nest close behind), but instead we took a different approach.  We instead allowed the owner of the bar to call the police and took pleasure in the fact that the man would be spending the night in jail.  That is, if he managed to make it out of the bar alive.  There was a sell-out crowd of angry, intoxicated Eagles fans through which he would have to pass in order to exit the bar, so he should hope that the police arrive before he has to leave.  My wife and I filed a report with the president of our club and the owner of the bar, and left to avoid an inevitable nightmare.

With a puppy at home in need of dewatering, no need for additional drama in our lives, and the inevitability of a brawl following the game, we spoke with the owner of the bar, paid our tab, and headed home before the parking lot turned into Fight Club.  A part of me would have liked to stay, but because my wife has managed to help me to mature over the years, she has helped me to see that the path we took was a far better one.

Right now I can only be thankful that no one was hurt in the incident, especially my wife.  The possibility that the love of my life, the strength that has molded me into the man that I am today, could have been severely injured by being hit with a glass bottle in the back of the head, is more than I can bear.  But, fortunately I am left wondering about the "what-if's" and am not instead sitting in the Emergency room.  I am happy to be home, am thankful for no one having been hurt, and am just glad that I am sitting with my beloved puppy at my feet and my wife by my side watching the KC/SD game.  Regardless of your football allegiance, it should never come to this.  Starshifter and I share a friendly rivalry, but I would have no problem buying him a beer if we were to meet in person to watch a Eagles/Giants game (and then shatter it on the back of his melon   icon_wink ).  The Cowboys are one of the most hated teams in the entire city of Philadelphia, but Giants fans may have them beat.  Especially due to incidents like this.

If the Philadelphia Eagles manage to win one of our next two games, we will earn a Wild Card spot in this year's playoffs.  And, that is with one of our top defenders and our starting quarterback out with injuries.  Not many teams could manage such a turnaround with both their top defender and their starting quarterback out for the season.  And if we beat the Cowboys in Dallas on Christmas Day, we have a chance to win the NFC East.  But, if we're unable to upset the Cowboys, we can still managed a playoff spot if we beat the Falcons in Philadelphia on New Year's Eve.  Regardless of our playoff hopes (or lack thereof), this is an amazing finish to a season full of turmoil, and what an exciting season it has been.  And being that I have tickets to the Eagles/Falcons game on New Year's Eve, I am looking forward to attending one of the most important games of the season (next to today's).

Go Birds!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 02:31:39 AM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 02:51:19 AM »

Glad your wife is all right.

If you guys make the playoffs (Which I seriously doubt-the Falcons are desperate, and Philly has shown no ability to contain a Vick-like QB, and Dallas is hungry to win the division), you will almost certainly get bounced in the wild card round. The obvious answer to the statement about making it without your top defender and QB is this-the QB is simply overrated. Its quite amazing what Koy Detmer, AJ Feely, and now Jeff Garcia have managed to do in the same system in the span of 3 years. I think its time to start seriously considering that McNabb might be on the downside of his career even at his relatively young age and that his system hides his faults, rather than showcases his strengths. I have long standing loyalty to Jevon Kearse, and agree that he is your top defender-but he hasn't been truly the same for 2 or 3 years now, and even his presence might not have given the defense much extra stopping power. Still, my hat is off to the Eagles. They are playing far above their potential right now and should be commended for their outstanding heart-but speaking of bad fans-have you been to an Eagles game?  icon_wink
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 03:08:01 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 18, 2006, 02:51:19 AM

Glad your wife is all right.

If you guys make the playoffs (Which I seriously doubt-the Falcons are desperate, and Philly has shown no ability to contain a Vick-like QB, and Dallas is hungry to win the division), you will almost certainly get bounced in the wild card round.

Unless you're only referring to this season, apparently you missed the 2004 NFC Championship between Atlanta and Philadelphia, also at a time when Philadelphia's defense was questioned against a mobile quarterback.

The obvious answer to the statement about making it without your top defender and QB is this-the QB is simply overrated. Its quite amazing what Koy Detmer, AJ Feely, and now Jeff Garcia have managed to do in the same system in the span of 3 years.

Given McNabb's statistics at the start of the season, I can see why you would consider him to be overrated.   Roll Eyes

Next you're going to tell me that Tom Brady is a good quarterback because of the system.

I think its time to start seriously considering that McNabb might be on the downside of his career even at his relatively young age and that his system hides his faults, rather than showcases his strengths.

A quarterback may be drafted this year.  Rumor is that Troy Smith may not go until later in the draft.  Perhaps he could find himself in Eagles green.  Either way, your "insight" isn't anything new.

I have long standing loyalty to Jevon Kearse, and agree that he is your top defender-but he hasn't been truly the same for 2 or 3 years now, and even his presence might not have given the defense much extra stopping power.

His speed is noticably missing on the pass rush and outside runs. 

Still, my hat is off to the Eagles. They are playing far above their potential right now and should be commended for their outstanding heart-but speaking of bad fans-have you been to an Eagles game?  icon_wink

Season tickets.  Hence why I already had batteries with me to throw back at him.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 03:21:24 AM »

All kidding aside man I'm very glad both you and your wife are okay. You always have to stand up and defend your wife when someone hurts her. It's one of the Man Laws™ and as you probably know you wouldn't have been the only guy in the place kicking the necessary ass. Good to see that you both got out in one piece.

That being said, the Cowboys are going to pwn the Eagles come Christmas so enjoy what presents you have because clinching the division won't be one of them. icon_twisted

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 12:58:24 PM »

just wanted to say:

1. congrats to you for making the mature decision.
2. glad your wife is okay and you are recovering
3. why is the world full of idiots?
4. the giants suck and i am so glad they lost. cant wait until eli is a 3rd string QB somehwere.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 01:28:41 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 18, 2006, 02:09:02 AM

Starshifter and I share a friendly rivalry, but I would have no problem buying him a beer if we were to meet in person to watch a Eagles/Giants game (and then shatter it on the back of his melon   icon_wink ). 

I'm going to remember that beer offer!  And just before I lose consciousness, I will snap those damn number one fingers you like to proudly display all the time.  icon_wink  Big win for the Iggles.  Congrats.  Being a Giant's fan, you are always prepared (and expecting) this kind of disappointment.  It was just another typical football Sunday for us Giant's fans.  Glad to hear you and J were ok. 

I told my son while we watched the game, "Ryan, if you are going to be a lifelong Giant's fan be prepared for many, many years of disappointment like you saw today."  We spoke on the phone later Sunday night after he went home and he said, "Dad, I'm going to be a San Diego Charger's fan because if I'm going to remain a New York Islander's fan I wan't to try and limit the stress I will have to endure when I grow up."  All this from a 10 year old!

It's been a rough sports year for my son and I.  First the Mets disappointment, then the Rutgers fall and now this.  Ugh.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 01:36:21 PM »

C'mon Shifty.  It could be worse, you could live in Philly.  When was our last Championship anything?  23 years ago!?!

Thank God the only Philadelphia team I like is the Flyers.  (and you can see where that is getting me this year!)

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 02:20:15 PM »

The Bills are 7-7. Whooda thunk it.  Just another playoff tease which will get us nowhere.

Glad I don't follow it very closely anymore  smoke
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 04:33:47 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on December 18, 2006, 03:21:24 AM

Even though I was pretty upset after I left the bar, that is pretty funny.

All kidding aside man I'm very glad both you and your wife are okay. You always have to stand up and defend your wife when someone hurts her. It's one of the Man Laws™ and as you probably know you wouldn't have been the only guy in the place kicking the necessary ass. Good to see that you both got out in one piece.

If anything had happened to her I probably would be going to jail for murder.  The same goes for the small child at the table next to us.  I'm definitely glad that no one was hurt.  It could have been much worse.

That being said, the Cowboys are going to pwn the Eagles come Christmas so enjoy what presents you have because clinching the division won't be one of them. icon_twisted

I only hope that the Cowboys share your same perspective.  I've already postmarked my Christmas list to Santa, which only had one item on it.  I have a feeling he may be wearing green instead of red this year.

Quote from: Starshifter on December 18, 2006, 01:28:41 PM

I'm going to remember that beer offer!  And just before I lose consciousness, I will snap those damn number one fingers you like to proudly display all the time.  icon_wink  Big win for the Iggles.  Congrats.  Being a Giant's fan, you are always prepared (and expecting) this kind of disappointment.  It was just another typical football Sunday for us Giant's fans.  Glad to hear you and J were ok.

If I had a 360 vision camera, you would be seeing those same fingers again.  At least take comfort in knowing that I am raising them right now at my desk in your honor.   

I told my son while we watched the game, "Ryan, if you are going to be a lifelong Giant's fan be prepared for many, many years of disappointment like you saw today."  We spoke on the phone later Sunday night after he went home and he said, "Dad, I'm going to be a San Diego Charger's fan because if I'm going to remain a New York Islander's fan I wan't to try and limit the stress I will have to endure when I grow up."  All this from a 10 year old!

It's been a rough sports year for my son and I.  First the Mets disappointment, then the Rutgers fall and now this.  Ugh.

Smart kid.  Why anyone would route for any team from New York is beyond me.  Would you like me to send him an Eagles T-shirt for Christmas in case he hasn't chosen a specific allegiance yet?  I'll be at the New Year's Eve game and could pick one up at the gift shop.  At least then your family wouldn't be all bad.  I'll even offer to teach him the fight song.   icon_wink

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 06:02:00 PM by PeteRock » Logged

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 05:21:54 PM »

Well, as much as I hate the Eagles I'd have to say they've done an amazing job since McNabb has been out.

It will be fun when the 'Boys kick their asses on Christmas day.  icon_biggrin

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 06:22:57 PM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on December 18, 2006, 05:21:54 PM

Well, as much as I hate the Eagles I'd have to say they've done an amazing job since McNabb has been out.

It will be fun when the 'Boys kick their asses on Christmas day.  icon_biggrin

Bring your own!

<<merely sits back and waits for Christmas>>

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 06:30:47 PM »

You're all just jealous because none of you have Alex Smith as your QB.

gellar
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 07:45:51 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 18, 2006, 06:30:47 PM

gellar

nah, they're jealous that they aren't in the NFC West :-).

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 07:48:04 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on December 18, 2006, 07:45:51 PM

Quote from: gellar on December 18, 2006, 06:30:47 PM

gellar

nah, they're jealous that they aren't in the NFC West :-).

With Alex Smith as their QB.

gellar
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: