http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 11:07:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I like feeling a part of a gaming community..  (Read 2071 times)
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:34:08 PM »

And I've been trying to fit in and help out around here for years. I think I'm moving on(play some melodramatic musice here). I like being respected at times for what I might share or suggest. You guys in general do know more about gaming, and all things electronic, but that's not what we're basing community on, is it?

Is it my age? 59
Is it my love of Jesus?
Is it my answering any post where one of our community friends needs some advice and comforting?
It can't be my looks? can it?

I just don't get it. Im not overly sensitive to this kind of thing. I don't experience it in real life.

I just think I don't check off all the boxes you guys need to become a friend in the on-line sense.

I'm gonna dip my foot in a little deeper at one of the other sites, and try to remember the good times in the early years of Gone Gold.

Too bad, cause I think some of you guys are super-intelligent, sensitive people, who try to be "real" most of the time.

Ok, that's all.
I'll say it for ya.........."Don't let the door hit ya in the butt on your way out".

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:40:27 PM »

That wasn't what I was going to say. I was going to say, what in the world are you talking about?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 02:44:59 PM »

Arc, a few things:

1) you're dead sexy. Don't change.
2) everyone is testy right now - damn consoles. Tongue
3) I consider you to be a part of my online gaming community, and I appreciate you and your contributions here.

If you feel you have to move on, I'm sorry to see you go. I do appreciate the respect of telling us you're going - that way we're not wondering in a month "Where'd arc go?"

Happy gaming, happy Thanksgiving. smile

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 03:14:27 PM »

Umm, okay..   Sorry to see you leave, but seriously if you're fighting with some members it's probably best to take a break.   Anyway, I hate to see us  lose another member of our very small community, but at the end of the day you have to do what's best for you.

Hope to see you back soon

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 03:25:45 PM »

I just looked up your last few posts to see what you might be talking about... are you feeling down because of the "Gobble-gobble" thread?

I saw the thread title when you posted it, and didn't click on it.  It wasn't because I thought, "Oh, an Arclight post.  I should ignore it."  I stayed out because I thought it was either A) a post about a megacorporation acquiring yet another smaller corporation, or B) a post about American Thanksgiving.  I wasn't interested in discussing either of those, so I didn't click.  Nothing at all personal. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 03:52:31 PM »

Huh?   saywhat

No idea what prompted that post, but I'm sad to see you (or any) member of the GT community leave.

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 04:00:57 PM »

The forums are naturally slow on the weekends since most people browse from work/school/pool side gazebo during the weekdays. So I'm not sure what was expected with the gobble gobble post. That I only click on things that look interested to me and I thought the gobble gobble post pertained to the deep introspective research into turkeys, and since I think I know all there is know about turkeys I didn't feel like adding to the post.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 04:34:22 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on October 14, 2013, 04:00:57 PM

The forums are naturally slow on the weekends since most people browse from work/school/pool side gazebo during the weekdays. So I'm not sure what was expected with the gobble gobble post. That I only click on things that look interested to me and I thought the gobble gobble post pertained to the deep introspective research into turkeys, and since I think I know all there is know about turkeys I didn't feel like adding to the post.

you forgot "the John, potty, crapper, Library, shitter and can"

Arc, come back and join the fun.  we can have Ceekay insult you if that would make you feel at home.  as for the gobble thread, I usually avoid the foreign events threads.  very surprised that they thread could have wandered off into international bickering. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 04:38:42 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 14, 2013, 04:34:22 PM

we can have Ceekay insult you if that would make you feel at home.

or he could sit on my lap.  it is a nice lap.  ok, maybe a little bit bony, but still nice.

crap, now he's running away.  don't go Arc!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 06:04:09 PM »

I know from doing it myself that leaving a goodbye message on a forum just means two things: You are desperate for attention and that you aren't going anywhere. When you really quit a forum, you just go away.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 06:34:45 PM »

I thought of that too, but since it's a holiday here perhaps his Thanksgiving isn't going so well - I don't mind giving some of that attention frown

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 06:41:19 PM »

Its tough sometimes being part of an online community, and it doesn't get easier the longer you've been part of it. Sometimes you get in a feud with some of the people here (Happened to me), sometimes you act like an ass(Happened to me as well), and sometimes you just feel no-one pays any attention to you, and you wonder why you bother, since it seems everyone else is so closely connected.  I guess I'm just trying to say, that everyone gets like this once in a while, and don't go. The drones need you.

A new one
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 06:46:52 PM »

Damn Swedes. slywink

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 07:04:33 PM »

Always sad to see someone go. This is literally the only place I post anymore. If you think this is bad... Sure a little bickering from time to time. Just learn to ignore it and move on. Ill miss posting responses to your threads from my phone on the tiolet. Lets be honest, alot of posting is done under these circumstances.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 07:29:58 PM »

This wasn't because I compared Jesus to an MI-6 operative, was it?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 07:32:11 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 14, 2013, 06:04:09 PM

I know from doing it myself that leaving a goodbye message on a forum just means two things: You are desperate for attention and that you aren't going anywhere. When you really quit a forum, you just go away.

Arclight's post doesn't strike me as the going-down-in-flames forum ragequit you sometimes see.  I think he doesn't want to leave, but for whatever reason feels like his presence is no longer appreciated here.  Hopefully the responses he's seeing here convince him that we really don't have any direct hatred of Canadian Thanksgiving and that we'd be sad to see him go.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 07:33:44 PM »

Wait...Canada is a real thing?  I thought he was just kidding!  icon_eek

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 07:43:42 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 14, 2013, 07:33:44 PM

We are the bogeymen your mother used to scare you with.. Plus, you started it. Tongue

Also:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Rear Admiral George Cockburn

Heh. Heh.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 07:50:05 PM »

I don't remember hearing about...

...wait...that happened during what you guys like to call "The War of 1812", right?

Sorry...we did learn about that in school.  But it was called "The Time America Tried to Make Canada Feel Good About Itself By Letting Them Shoot at Some Things and Start a Fire".

Granted, the whole section in our history books is comprised solely of that line, but I think it sums up the whole thing quite succinctly. 

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 07:56:28 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 14, 2013, 07:50:05 PM

...wait...that happened during what you guys like to call "The War of 1812", right?

Sorry...we did learn about that in school.  But it was called "The Time America Tried to Make Canada Feel Good About Itself By Letting Them Shoot at Some Things and Start a Fire".

Granted, the whole section in our history books is comprised solely of that line, but I think it sums up the whole thing quite succinctly. 

AKA "The War Of Frozen Aggression".

morlac00 on PSN
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 08:20:27 PM »

Quote from: morlac on October 14, 2013, 07:56:28 PM

AKA "The War Of Frozen Aggression".

Shouldn't you be in a tank somewhere?

A new one
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 08:22:34 PM »

Close, I'm betting he's tanked somewhere though.

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 08:27:47 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 14, 2013, 04:34:22 PM

Quote from: SkyLander on October 14, 2013, 04:00:57 PM

you forgot "the John, potty, crapper, Library, shitter and can"

Arc, come back and join the fun.  we can have Ceekay insult you if that would make you feel at home.  as for the gobble thread, I usually avoid the foreign events threads.  very surprised that they thread could have wandered off into international bickering. 

Flying a plane, whilst paying a stripper, driving a monster truck into a flaming bus

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 08:58:58 PM »

I always wondered what a Canadian history book would look like if you took out all references to the United States.  icon_razz

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 10:16:42 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on October 14, 2013, 08:58:58 PM

I always wondered what a Canadian history book would look like if you took out all references to the United States.  icon_razz
Thicker than an American version of the History of the World doing the same thing. Tongue

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2013, 10:19:40 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 14, 2013, 06:46:52 PM

Damn Swedes. slywink

I hate those guys.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2013, 10:20:02 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 14, 2013, 07:29:58 PM

This wasn't because I compared Jesus to an MI-6 operative, was it?

Lesus Christ Hep.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 10:20:51 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 14, 2013, 07:33:44 PM

I know, I was surprised too.  I just assumed you fell off the earth if you went north of the border slywink

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 10:21:32 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on October 14, 2013, 08:27:47 PM

driving a monster truck into a flaming bus

only after really hot wings.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 10:25:02 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 14, 2013, 10:16:42 PM

Thicker than an American version of the History of the World doing the same thing. Tongue
you know what they call the History of the World if they took out all references to Canada?  Trick question, there wasn't any to begin with.  Tongue

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2013, 10:26:27 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 14, 2013, 10:25:02 PM

you know what they call the History of the World if they took out all references to Canada?  Trick question, there wasn't any to begin with.  Tongue

Totally cool with that. We'll sit back and watch the world burn.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 10:30:46 PM »

sweet!

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 11:08:48 PM »

This is kind of sad but also kind of weird.  I'm not sure what the ultimate impetus is/was but I would have expected someone of Arc's age/maturity to understand the ebb and flow of ANY community, particularly an online one like this.  I can't believe this is the first time/period things might have been disappointing or disheartening.  I don't know where he's going but I doubt it's easy to find an online community that's not going to have a fairly mixed bag of people and opinions leading to a mixed feeling of community.

My very first online community experience was in Diablo 2, where we had a nightly group that played together stemming from the Amazon Basin forum.  It was so nice while it lasted, but once the game interest dwindled, so did the group.  Next up was Gone Gold, and from there my DAOC guild, the Wanderers.  There have been times over the years where that was the most wonderful group/community I'd been part of, but other times when it's been a mess, and still other times like now where it's essentially non-existent.  But anyone who's been around long enough in a certain group should probably come to terms with the fact that nothing like this lasts forever.  Online groups like this are fleeting, particularly when they are tied to gaming which is often such a transitory experience - so you need to manage your expectations appropriately.  And if you've got something that's pretty good, hold on to it and enjoy the ride.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 11:33:48 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 14, 2013, 10:26:27 PM

you know what they call the History of the World if they took out all references to Canada?  Trick question, there wasn't any to begin with.  Tongue

Heat rise bitch, so if the US burns youre going with us!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2013, 11:37:45 PM »

Arc can always try the Broken Forum where he can learn what it is like to be ignored and belittled at at the same time. I am not sure what forums are out there but I like having the option of several and this site comes in real handy sometimes.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 11:53:14 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 14, 2013, 08:22:34 PM

Close, I'm betting he's tanked somewhere though.

Winner is U!

morlac00 on PSN
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 01:20:25 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on October 14, 2013, 11:33:48 PM

Quote from: Purge on October 14, 2013, 10:26:27 PM

Heat rise bitch, so if the US burns youre going with us!
at least you'll have a good seat when we start down here.  Plus, if you can keep the fires from spreading, you'll be in a good place to ride over the border on your moose and mutated battle squirrels and fight the doomsday preppers over the scraps.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 01:22:27 AM »

I'm surprised Razgon hasn't chimed in yet.

Because I can,
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2013, 01:28:35 AM »

Finally read the gobble gobble thread and I think the issues are

1. No one responded in the thread.  It's frustrating when a thread one starts is a dud. Happens to everyone. Nothing personal. Especially on weekends.
2. Bitterness at no responses vented in a pretty jerky way.  I'm all up in these threads and I'm definitely not a part of any clique, though I do get why this place (all forums) at times feels cliquish.
3. On GT you make your presence known as much or as little as you want. I've had feuds on here that made me want to walk away forever.  But this really is the best forum on the net.
4. Sense of entitlement for having been around a long time. Sorry if you're feelings were hurt, but don't be petty. This is the best forum on the net (though it TOTALLY could use some more traffic and new blood) and it gives and takes away to all members regardless of seniority...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 01:31:00 AM by ATB » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2013, 01:56:49 AM »

Quote from: ATB on October 15, 2013, 01:28:35 AM

(though it TOTALLY could use some more traffic and new blood)

agreed.  Hep, start breeding us some new blood!

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: