http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 03:46:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have found my summer ale  (Read 933 times)
Ironrod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 09, 2008, 01:34:20 PM »

And the winner is... Magic Hat Hocus Pocus. Another good entry from the Vermont brewery whose site I am not linking because it's Flash. I don't know how widespread their distribution is, but I do recommend this one to anyone who runs across it. It's light, refreshing, flavorful, and very well balanced between malty sweetness, citrus, and just a bit of hops. Although they recommend serving it with a slice of orange, I am pleased to testify that it stands up just fine without.

Incidentally, their Lucky Cat is an IPA that will appeal to those who enjoy a strong hop profile without being overwhelmed by it. Between those two beers, I intend to drink a lot of Magic Hat this summer.

I went through many mediocre summer ales to reach this conclusion. I am glad the search is over. This has been a public service announcement.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 02:10:27 PM »

I just had Hocus Pocus for the first time last week as part of a sampler pack.  I'm no beer expert but it did seem really nice and refreshing.  The other new one I came across in the Magic Hat sampler was Odd Notion, which I really really liked.  I guess it's a red ale.
Two Sheds
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 02:15:57 PM »

I'm a big fan of Magic Hat #9. I seem to remember having the Hocus Pocus a while back and liking it as well. Not so much the IPA, but I'm not really into IPAs to begin with.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 02:30:13 PM »

and just a bit of hops

LOL. I read that as "just a bit of hope."

I was thinking, beer that tastes like hope. I'm IN!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 02:31:09 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 09, 2008, 02:30:13 PM

and just a bit of hops

LOL. I read that as "just a bit of hope."

I was thinking, beer that tastes like hope. I'm IN!

no, it tastes like victory.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 03:06:37 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 09, 2008, 02:10:27 PM

I just had Hocus Pocus for the first time last week as part of a sampler pack.  I'm no beer expert but it did seem really nice and refreshing.  The other new one I came across in the Magic Hat sampler was Odd Notion, which I really really liked.  I guess it's a red ale.

I got a few of those same samplers and really enjoyed the Odd Notion.  Love the bottle art, too.

I've been pretty happy with all the Magic Hat brew I've tried.  I'm not sure I've had the Hocus Pocus, but I will keep an eye out next time I hit the big store (Total Wine).

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 03:19:11 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on June 09, 2008, 03:06:37 PM

I've been pretty happy with all the Magic Hebrew I've tried. 

Speaking of misreading stuff....  anyhoo, I'll have to see if I can find MHHP around here, but chances are if I do it'll be at the expensive carryout-  stupid college kids and their wanting nothing but Nati Light or the Beast so much that the regular places have small selections. 

You know, I don't think I've seen Sam Adams Summer Brew out at all yet, which seems kinda odd.  Is that out yet?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 10:28:22 PM »

Sam Adams Summer Ale is out. I think that is one SA I never have had but I don't think I will like it being a Pale Wheat Ale. Blah.

Do not get Magic Hat beers here. In fact we do not get much for East Coast beers. Southern Tier just started distrubution to MN. I had their Big Red Ale and really liked that one. It is a high ABV ale so it is not something one wants to consume much of on a hot day.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 10:31:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 09, 2008, 03:19:11 PM

You know, I don't think I've seen Sam Adams Summer Brew out at all yet, which seems kinda odd.  Is that out yet?

It's been out for at least a few weeks here in Arizona.  Fortunately they're still carrying the White Ale as I prefer it to Sam Adam's Summer Ale.  But their Summer Ale isn't too bad.  A bit more subtle than regular Sam Adams without the hoppy bite and a bit of citrus on the finish.  Refreshing but not too light. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 11:36:06 PM »

I've found my summer beer too, Anderson Valley Brewing Summer Solstice, yummers.  A light enough ale for summer without being boring.  Perfect coppery ale goodness!   thumbsup

Unfortunately I can only afford it when it goes on sale.   thumbsdown

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 01:03:06 AM »

Sams Summer is OK on tap. In bottles, I prefer other brews. I haven't tried the Magic Hat Odd Notion yet. Will have to watch out for it. Magic Hat is competing closely with Sierra Nevada to be my second-favorite brewery. I'm drinking SN's Summer Ale right now. It is not as good as the rest of the SN lineup -- pretty comparable to Sams, actually.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 01:26:19 AM »

One of my favourite breweries when I go out to Vermont every summer is Otter Creek.  One of my favourites is Stovepipe Porter.

http://www.ottercreekbrewing.com/
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 09:06:48 PM »

The drawback to summer ales is how easily they go down, especially on hot evenings like the last few. They are so tasty and refreshing that I'm routinely exceeding my ration, pounding down one after another.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: