http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 02:36:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have 5 bosses. Shades of Office Space...  (Read 776 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2005, 02:56:34 PM »

I'm keeping this gender neutral, so pardon the odd formatting.

So I have a direct supervisor (who was recently promoted from an equal position to mine) who is a great person.  This person treats me with respect and tries not to get in my way. I don't mind working for this person at all.  Unfortunately the sanity ends there.

Up from there I have an empty seat.  We are getting a new boss, but no clue who this person will be or what radical changes they will make when they arrive...whenever that is.

My next boss up is the goddamned AntiChrist.  Technically, this person doesn't even fall within my chain of command but they like to shove their goddamned hooves into everyone elses business, so lets say they have 'influence' enough. This person makes certain that you are put under as much scrutiny and pressure as possible all while keeping a smile (smirk?) on that plump little face.  Even people that this person thinks are on their side hate this person with a passion.  There is one particular tech here that this person dotes on all the time - this tech hates this boss with a passion and would leave immediatly if the opportunity presented itself.  A good portion of the supervisors who work for this person would like to see a happy accident involving a bus.  We have people quitting at record pace and we are so understaffed that people are cracking under the pressure.  I know of 3 other resignations that are going to happen shortly. This person likes to add more pressure by treating everyone like they are a bunch of 6 year old children.  Its hard to believe that this person is a manager but apparently some mistakes you can't take back.  We lose great people while this pod-person stays planted.

Up from there I have a brand new boss.  This person just started Monday so I'll reserve judgement for now.

On top of all of this is another boss.  Personally, I think this person is a good boss.  Professionally, this person is absolutely on top of things.  We disagree on how things are run (this person thinks that stat based management is best, I prefer to see people as people instead of numbers) but this person is the bosses' bosses' bosses' boss so I have no real meaninful input.  

I just thought I'd share the hellish landscape I have to tread to get a decision made.  Unfortunately, other than peon-level decision I have to ride the chain ALL the way to the very very top to get anything done.  If I'm not tripped up on the way up that freakish ladder its a miracle.  If its not 'Why wasn't I included?!' its something else.  Sigh...2 more semesters  till graduation.

I just thought I'd share...hope I still have a job after this.  So much politics for this simple job...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 04:41:55 PM »

Well, you do have one good thing going KD.......the 'asshole' isn't the highest level boss.

Matter of fact, the higher-ups probably know what that one is like, and keeps him(her) around just to do their dirty work.
It's a great strategy, and one that I would probably use myself  :wink:

The only advice I would give, is to just not pay much heed to the 'asshole' whenever he(she) starts barking, and to know that there are still the higher-ups to go to in the end.

Good luck  :wink:

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 06:49:01 PM »

I wonder if this might be a good solution to the problem...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 06:51:07 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Serving your boss breakfast? Why not throw an omlette in while you're at it?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 08:00:43 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Let me know when the job's done so I can hire him.

I feel for your situation since I'm dealing with a similar one in my workplace.  There were a ton of layoffs at my workplace recently due to business leaving.  These layoffs included my manager, who is affable and knows his stuff and has been with the company for over 15 years.  He's being replaced by his boss' "friend" who knows nothing of our process and has basically done nothing for the past couple years he's been with the company.  He basically got the job because he's a kiss ass to the big bosses and likes to tell people what to do.  

Don't you love office polititcs?   Tongue

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 11:33:47 PM »

Why not throw an omlette in while you're at it?

...and why not spell omelette correctly while you're at it?  :lol:  :wink:

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 11:51:29 PM »

You know, you'd get those TPS reports done much quicker if you stopped bitching  :twisted:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 12:18:13 AM »

I am SO gonna gut a fish on one of my QA reports...its gonna happen.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: