http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 08:43:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Had My First Whopper this past week  (Read 9254 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2008, 02:07:54 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 14, 2008, 02:03:27 PM

This post started me at bewildered and now I am just sad.  People who don't eat mayo, pickled, tomatoes, alfredo sauce, etc......well......   crybaby

Agreed.

Especially pickles...I love putting both sweet pickles and dill pickles on my burgers, and any sandwhich for that matter.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2008, 02:09:27 PM »

Blondie Burgers FTW.

Whopper's "flame broiled" flavouring is often put on a little too heavily. It doesn't come across as authentic flame broiling.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2008, 02:17:08 PM »

No love for Culvers?
When I do decide it's burger time,
that is almost always my choice.
Butterburger FTW.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2008, 02:18:49 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on April 14, 2008, 01:58:12 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on April 14, 2008, 12:13:51 PM

I don't eat ranch dressing and can barely tolerate alfredo sauce.

dude... seriously...

ok, that's it.. YK is off the Island.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2008, 02:23:29 PM »

I should mention that Blondie's has a 9lb burger (after it's cooked).

I also knew someone who got an anal fissure because he decided to save up his appitite and then go and down a 3lb burger from there.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
MHS
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2008, 02:26:25 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 14, 2008, 12:57:55 PM

Man do you guys all live on the East Coast or Russia?  I say again:

http://www.in-n-out.com/default.asp

That's just so mean.  Colorado is hardly Russia or the east coast, but no In-n-Out Burger to be had. frown  It's probably a good thing for my waistline and cholesterol though.

When we go to Las Vegas, I'm almost more excited for InO than for anything else. smile

"they're lucky they found an MHS out there, otherwise their fates would have been sealed."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2008, 02:27:34 PM »

Blondies?  Culvers?  In and Out?

Never heard of them.

Columbus is so burger deprived  crybaby

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2008, 02:30:22 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 14, 2008, 02:09:27 PM

Whopper's "flame broiled" flavouring is often put on a little too heavily. It doesn't come across as authentic flame broiling.

Wait, what?  I've got to get back into a Burger King to see what they've turned into over the years.  The flame broiled flavoring I remember came from actual charring from the conveyer belt oven.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2008, 02:44:16 PM »

Quote from: MHS on April 14, 2008, 02:26:25 PM

That's just so mean.  Colorado is hardly Russia or the east coast, but no In-n-Out Burger to be had. frown  It's probably a good thing for my waistline and cholesterol though.

When we go to Las Vegas, I'm almost more excited for InO than for anything else. smile

We do have Fatburger here, though!!  I found one in Lone Tree.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2008, 02:45:17 PM »

Quote from: Lee on April 14, 2008, 03:58:22 AM

I would like BK a lot more if they didn't nuke everything.

so the smoke coming from the top of the building is radiation?  damn, i thought they cooked their hamburgers. 

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2008, 02:49:09 PM »

I'm pretty confident that my Whopper was not nuked. 
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2008, 02:53:40 PM »

The thing is I'm not a particularly picky eater. It just happens that my gene pool selected a handful of foods that I just cannot acquire a taste for. Raw tomatoes, mayonnaise, and white sauces are just about the only foods I'm violently opposed to. Oh, and milk. I can't drink milk.

I will eat pretty much every other vegetable/fruit on the planet - including spinach, brussel sprouts, etc.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2008, 02:55:24 PM »

Quote from: drifter on April 14, 2008, 11:47:22 AM

Whoppers do taste great the only problem is that its pretty much all the calories you should have for an entire day in one burger.

That's why they're a once-a-month (at most) treat for me. I can remember when it really did "take two hands to handle the Whopper." It was considered an obscenely huge hamburger when it debuted. Normal people found eating the whole thing challenging.

Now I get the Double Whopper McCheese, no tomatoes. Fast-food tomatoes are really vile...and I like tomatoes. When they're in season, I supply my own homegrown tomato. When they're not in season, I do without.

My second-favorite meal is the Double Quarter Pounder McCheese with large fries. Also a caloric sin, this one varies tremendously in quality depending on freshness.

If I were on Death Row and ordering up my last meal, it would be a Double Whopper McCheese, with homegrown tomato, and McD's fries. BK has awful fries.

Quote from: Purge on April 14, 2008, 02:09:27 PM

Blondie Burgers FTW.

I know they use fake broiled flavor on some of their specialty burgers. I don't know if the same thing afflicts the sacred Whopper. Don't they still use the conveyor belt ovens previously mentioned?

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2008, 02:56:21 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on April 14, 2008, 02:45:17 PM

Quote from: Lee on April 14, 2008, 03:58:22 AM

I would like BK a lot more if they didn't nuke everything.

so the smoke coming from the top of the building is radiation?  damn, i thought they cooked their hamburgers. 

icon_lol

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2008, 03:00:30 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 14, 2008, 02:53:40 PM

The thing is I'm not a particularly picky eater. It just happens that my gene pool selected a handful of foods that I just cannot acquire a taste for. Raw tomatoes, mayonnaise, and white sauces are just about the only foods I'm violently opposed to. Oh, and milk. I can't drink milk.

I will eat pretty much every other vegetable/fruit on the planet - including spinach, brussel sprouts, etc.

We all have our dietary quirks. I practically live on tomatoes and tomato sauce-based recipes. In season, my veggie garden puts a real dent in the grocery bill. But I cannot stand coconut, lima beans, or curry. Even the smell of curry makes me want to hurl.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Hemlock Bones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2008, 03:03:09 PM »

You may not realize this but they will make it YOUR way.

"Hold the pickles hold the lettuce,
special orders don't upset us.
All we ask is that you let us
serve it your way...
(all together now)
Have it your way, have it your way.
Have it your way at Burger King!"
unbreakable
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2008, 03:05:53 PM »

I'm not a big fan of franchise food, but I'll get a whopper every now and then.

McDonalds... not so much.  I've actually gone hungry rather than eat McD's.  However, they recently renovated the 50's McDonalds here in Chicago.  I've been meaning to check it out, since I heard they have a coffee bar at the top, and I've heard their coffee isn't too awful (so it's at least as good as Starbucks).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2008, 03:06:03 PM »

Quote from: Hemlock Bones on April 14, 2008, 03:03:09 PM

You may not realize this but they will make it YOUR way.

"Hold the pickles hold the lettuce,
special orders don't upset us.
All we ask is that you let us
serve it your way...
(all together now)
Have it your way, have it your way.
Have it your way at Burger King!"

he can't have it his way, he's a submissive.   Tongue

Because I can,
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2008, 03:08:51 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on April 14, 2008, 02:55:24 PM

I know they use fake broiled flavor on some of their specialty burgers. I don't know if the same thing afflicts the sacred Whopper. Don't they still use the conveyor belt ovens previously mentioned?

exactly...

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2008, 03:09:35 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 14, 2008, 03:05:53 PM

I'm not a big fan of franchise food, but I'll get a whopper every now and then.

McDonalds... not so much.  I've actually gone hungry rather than eat McD's.  However, they recently renovated the 50's McDonalds here in Chicago.  I've been meaning to check it out, since I heard they have a coffee bar at the top, and I've heard their coffee isn't too awful (so it's at least as good as Starbucks).

McD's, Macs and 7/11 have really kicked up their coffee quality.

Ba-ba-ba-ba-baaa.

joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2008, 03:11:59 PM »

I think what people mean by BK nuking burgers is that they don't "flame broil" it when you order it.  They cook a ton of them on the brioler, and then when you order the burger it's reheated in a microwave on the assembly line so it's hot when you get it.  That's been the standard practice at BK for as long as I've gone there, could have changed in recent months.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 14, 2008, 02:44:16 PM

Oh boy do I miss Fatburger.  Far better than In-N-Out by my book, though I do appreciate the freshness of the In-N-Out ingredients (and their secret animal style menu).
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »

speaking of BK, we took our son there last night as a treat.

as we were ordering, a fella was breaking apart a block of lard (looked to be about 5 lbs.) and dumping it into the french frier.   i wanted to barf just looking at that crap.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2008, 03:46:51 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 14, 2008, 03:35:00 PM

Oh boy do I miss Fatburger.  Far better than In-N-Out by my book, though I do appreciate the freshness of the In-N-Out ingredients (and their secret animal style menu).

We have a fatburger here that I go to as a treat, but can't handle it too often.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2008, 03:51:22 PM »

I live on the East Coast but when I lived in San Diego for a time my apartment was less than a block from an In & Out.  Mmmm....
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2008, 04:59:17 PM »

For whatever it's worth (as I've been a vegetarian for about a decade), I've never had a Whopper or a Big Mac.  I've had OTHER burgers from both Burger King and McDonalds in my meat eating days, but both of those burgers always looked about as vile as they could get with all of the junk smeared on them: for me, it was mayo and yellow mustard that did it in.  I hate each with a passion.
Bakhtosh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2008, 05:17:43 PM »

McDonalds: Quarter pounder with Cheese
Wendy's: Spicy baconator (OMG...that's a good burger)
BK: BK double stacker with pickles
Rally's/Checkers: Big Buford no lettuce and a large side of *the BEST fries* in the world.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2008, 06:02:04 PM »

If we're heading out for a fast food burger, nothing beats a double-double animal style, well-done fries, and a neopolitan shake from In-N-Out Burger.  If we need a quick meal on our way home from puppy school or if I'm especially hung over, then a double-quarter-pounder with cheese from McDonald's is enough to set my stomach at ease (typically accompanied with a 4-piece mcnugget and sweet and sour sauce).  If we're heading to a sit-down establishment with the purpose of having a good burger, then we'll go to Red Robin. 

But most of the time if I want a good burger I'll make my own from scratch.  Not much can beat a mixture of ground beef and pork, egg, finely chopped onions and garlic, salt and pepper, a healthy dash of worcestershire sauce, a little Guinness poured in for my homies, formed into patties, and then brushed with olive oil.  Top that with thinly-sliced gruyere, as much bacon as you can fit, carmelized onions simmered slowly to the point of becoming an onion jam of sorts, a fried egg, and a mixture of mayonaise and pureed roasted chili peppers. 

But I guess that goes a little beyond the level of effort required in ordering a Whopper.     

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2008, 06:03:25 PM »

All this talk of condiments reminded me of Saturday night. I got to experience the PeteRock homemade ketchup, homemade mayo substitute, and special grilled onions with olive oil on my burger. That's my 28 word response. We'll see if he wants to provide the proper full text PeteRock version.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2008, 06:04:19 PM »

Mayonnaise = man sauce.

It's one of the foulest substances known.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2008, 06:25:33 PM »

Quote from: stimpy on April 14, 2008, 02:17:08 PM

No love for Culvers?
When I do decide it's burger time,
that is almost always my choice.
Butterburger FTW.

Love Culvers and frequent them often when I vacation in Michigan every year. Although I often partake of the walleye sandwich instead of a burger. I think I started a thread here a while back about fast food places I covet.  The northeast has a few old standbys, but we are particularly deprived when it comes to some of the better burger and fast food places from the midwest, west and south. No In 'n Out, Fatburger, Sonic, Culvers, Steak and Shake, etc. Not a burger place, but I would kill for a Portillos - they even opened up a couple in California now.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2008, 06:32:31 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 14, 2008, 06:02:04 PM

a little Guinness poured in for my homies

ive recently stopped using the premaid frozen hamburger pattys and started buying the ground meat and making them from scratch.  i MUST try adding Guinness next time.  sounds awesome.

icon_surprised

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2008, 06:47:20 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on April 14, 2008, 06:32:31 PM

ive recently stopped using the premaid frozen hamburger pattys and started buying the ground meat and making them from scratch.  i MUST try adding Guinness next time.  sounds awesome.

icon_surprised

You really want to try something unorthodox?  In addition to adding Guinness to your burger patties (quantity can varry, but just make sure you don't add so much that the patties are too soft and moist for the grill - a 1/4 to 1/2 a cup is a reasonable amount), try also basting the burgers with Guinness while they're grilling.  Oh yeah, I went there.   icon_cool  Or, if you enjoy red wine, adding a bit of Cabernet to your burger mixture is also an amazing way to improve richness, flavor, and moisture.   

Also, condiments should never be forgotten.  You don't necessarily have to go overboard, but if you enjoy onions on your burger, try cutting an onion into 1/4" to 1/2" slices, drizzle both sides with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and grill them up.  You should start the onions prior to the burgers as they take a little longer to cook (right about when it's time to flip the onions you can toss on the burgers). 

And, if you want to add yet another level of complexity, try applying a bit of mustard to the buns and then grilling them.  Or, A-1 sauce, or even a mixture of butter and garlic.  Yet one more layer of flavor for guests to discover. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 06:51:00 PM by PeteRock » Logged

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2008, 07:01:55 PM »

My buddy of mine makes some outstanding burgers. They have all kinds of stuff in them - A1, jalapenos, onions, all sorts of spices baked right into the meat. When he has company over he tones them down a bit, but when it's just him and me he spices them up to the point that they will light your ass on fire. Sooooo good.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2008, 07:12:35 PM »

Please tell me your friend doesn't actually bake his burgers.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2008, 07:16:14 PM »

Fatburger chili cheese fries were the best capper to a night of drinking (Tommyburger's were a close second).  The LA ones that I frequented also had some of the best old blue on the Jukebox that I can recall

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2008, 07:17:54 PM »

You can also add oatmeal to the mix to lighten the burgers up a bit (pure beef can get really heavy). Angus Beef burgers from Costco FTW... sear one side for 5 minutes (from frozen), flip for 2-4 minutes.

Amazing for OOTB patties.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2008, 07:24:36 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 14, 2008, 06:47:20 PM

Quote from: WalkingFumble on April 14, 2008, 06:32:31 PM

icon_surprised

You really want to try something unorthodox?  In addition to adding Guinness to your burger patties (quantity can varry, but just make sure you don't add so much that the patties are too soft and moist for the grill - a 1/4 to 1/2 a cup is a reasonable amount), try also basting the burgers with Guinness while they're grilling.  Oh yeah, I went there.   icon_cool  Or, if you enjoy red wine, adding a bit of Cabernet to your burger mixture is also an amazing way to improve richness, flavor, and moisture.   

Pshawww...this is kids stuff.  What you do is grill your hamburgers like normal.  Then you pour beer into a pot, put in a stick of butter, and let it warm up on a side burner.  As the hamburgers are finished, you put the hamburgers (and brats) into the pot and let it soak up the beer.  Makes some find burgers and brats.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2008, 07:26:01 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 14, 2008, 07:01:55 PM

My buddy of mine makes some outstanding burgers. They have all kinds of stuff in them - A1, jalapenos, onions, all sorts of spices baked right into the meat. When he has company over he tones them down a bit, but when it's just him and me he spices them up to the point that they will light your ass on fire. Sooooo good.

On occasion I'll head over to a local sidewalk vendor and pick up fresh roasted green chiles.  While they're still warm I'll run them under cold water and peel off the skins, and for those who like spicy food, while their burger is grilling I'll toss a couple of green chiles on the grill, and just before adding cheese I'll place the grilled green chile on top of the burger.  An amazing little southwest addition that provides great flavor and a nice natural spice.

jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 14, 2008, 02:16:39 AM

I'm 33 and have never had a Whopper. Two reasons: mayonnaise and tomato. I don't eat either. Never have, never will. Why any food establishment would consider mayonnaise a default condiment boggles my mind. And yes, I know I could "have it my way" but without the tomato and mayo I might as well just order a regular cheeseburger at half the price.

I have mayonaise on my fries.  I love mayo and tomoatos.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: