http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 01:30:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I had a pretty sad encounter today at Rite Aid  (Read 879 times)
naednek
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2014, 02:16:57 AM »

I was there to purchase a shipping envelope, and wanted some ice cream (Thrifty Ice Cream FTW!!!)
When I arrived at the ice cream counter, there were two people ahead of me. My coworker and I went were next. About a minute later a guy shows up and is standing by the end cap, not in our direct line.

We patiently wait till it's our turn (the person behind the counter was super slow due to an injury she had with her leg) and at one point the guy moves towards the front of the store to check to see if the light rail was at the station, and then came back when he saw that it wasn't. When the lady stated "next" I moved forward to make my selection. Then I hear the guy behind me go "Really, is that what you are going to do?" I turn around and asked him what do you mean?" He says he was here way before me. I politely inform him that what he was saying wasn't true, and continue to place my order.

Then this gem comes out of his mouth. "Oh it must be because your white and I'm black is why you are cutting in front of me." I turned around and told him, "dude, don't play the race card. You don't know me, and even if I did cut in front of you, that doesn't automatically mean I'm racist."

The other customers heard what he said and they also said, don't go there, and there was a female clerk nearby who was also African American backed me up and couldn't believe what he was saying.  She was very nice to me after the incident and apologized.  I told her she didn't need to, she obviously didn't share the same views.

I didn't want to have this argument over some stupid ice cream, and ended up leaving to the next line to pay for the envelope.

I can't believe that a person who doesn't even know me would quickly just say that crap because he didn't get his way.

If he simply just asked hey, I'm in a rush trying to catch the train, can I go before you, I would have said yes.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 03:18:11 AM by naednek » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 02:35:30 AM »

Yikes, but I can't say I am surprised, I have seen that kind of attitude as well. I was a supervisor in a place that was mostly white but there was only one black guy. This guy kept a little notebook in his pocket so he could record any racist incidents. My name was written in it because everyone was sitting around, and I told him to take out the trash. In his eyes I was racist because I picked him instead of all the others sitting around. He refused to do it as well. In reality I picked him because he had been the least helpful that week (also the biggest pain in my ass). Learned a lot about supervising that day.

Glad to hear at least the people around you backed you up. Sounds like the guy was delusional.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 03:36:06 AM »

Would you write your name down?
Thank you. When I'm famous I'll make it a point not to like you.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 03:46:29 AM »

I've seen it on both sides when I worked retail.  I rang a guy up for some stuff (under $20) and when I gave him the total, he asked me if I knew about reparations.  I responded that I had and that I was waiting for mine from the Russian government for losses suffered during the revolution, then asked him if he wanted to pay by cash or credit.  I got an odd look for that but he paid and left.

I later was in a position of assistant manager and had two younger African Americans working with me.  One guy who came in tried his hardest to wait until I was free then finally relented and let the older, darker guy help him.  I wasn't able to see everything that went down, but my co-worker said that the customer was very stand-offish and was hesitant to answer any kind of questions.  When it came time to pay, my co-worker held out his hand to take the card from him and the customer instead threw it onto the counter.  He had barely stopped to grab the bag with his receipt and left with my co-worker holding the card out and trying to hand it back.  The guy came back about 5 minutes later, would not speak to either of the other guys and accused that the clerk was trying to steal the card.  

He was so belligerent that I asked him to leave and told him that there were at least 2 other people who saw what happened and did not back his version of events. My co-worker felt hurt and insulted; I felt shame at having shared the same skin color as this customer.  

My wife had a co-worker who would regularly threaten to sue the company if they ever let her go for racial discrimination.  It took years for them to get enough paperwork showing repeated performance issues before they could fire her.  

long story short, you can run into racist a-holes when you least expect it.  

biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 02:37:04 PM »

When I worked at the retail about 10 years ago, one guy purchased 20" TV and I told him,
"I am sorry that I can't give you plastic bag for that item" (it's 20" TUBE TV !!!!)
He told me with straight face "Why? because I am black?"

Then again, I do feel I get discriminated just because I am Asian...
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 03:15:31 PM »

Quote from: Caine on July 03, 2014, 03:46:29 AM

I've seen it on both sides when I worked retail.  I rang a guy up for some stuff (under $20) and when I gave him the total, he asked me if I knew about reparations.  I responded that I had and that I was waiting for mine from the Russian government for losses suffered during the revolution, then asked him if he wanted to pay by cash or credit.  I got an odd look for that but he paid and left.

Oh man, I have got to remember that. Not that I have ever gotten asked about reparations but it's a nice line to come back with smile

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 03:16:50 PM »

There is no God if we don't get a Zeke reply soon.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 11:25:16 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 03, 2014, 03:16:50 PM

Glad to re-establish a God in your life.

I could make a million comments on this topic, but i'll just stick to two:

1) thank you, naednek, for posting this.

2) why did you move to another line??? Fuck that.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 11:59:53 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on July 03, 2014, 11:25:16 PM

Not to answer for Naednek, but that's pretty obvious. Crap like that isn't worth the hassle. Easier to avoid the nuts then to aggravate the situation.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 12:59:02 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 03, 2014, 03:16:50 PM

Glad to re-establish a God in your life.

I could make a million comments on this topic, but i'll just stick to two:

1) thank you, naednek, for posting this.

1: wasn't worth the arguing, when someone throws the race card.  You can't reason with him.  It's like talking politics with you in R&P Tongue
2: They didn't have the flavor I wanted.
3: I had to purchase an envelope and you can't do that at the ice cream station.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 01:54:43 AM »

Sometimes courage means knowing it's okay to walk away and de-escalate a pointless conflict. 

-Autistic Angel
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 02:12:26 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 04, 2014, 01:54:43 AM

Sometimes courage means knowing it's okay to walk away and de-escalate a pointless conflict. 

-Autistic Angel

really? like how I do most of the time in the R&P forum?

but sometimes you also have to have the courage to not secede

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 02:26:24 AM »

You owe me a new monitor.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 12:36:35 PM »

Black people can be racist?  Does the media know about this?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 12:45:50 PM »

Was there any doubt they could be?  Is there any doubt racism can exist within the heart of any person on earth?  If you're trying to insinuate that the media only covers examples of racism when it's directed towards whites, I would counter that that's mostly because they've grown tired of covering stories of racism by whites toward minorities after, you know, the entire life of this country.

That doesn't excuse any act of racism, but let's not trivialize such things by trying to claim it's fashionable to ignore it when the majority experiences it.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 03:43:49 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 04, 2014, 12:36:35 PM

Black people can be racist?  Does the media know about this?

Yes.  It's just that you don't see it as much because "White Man Confronted While Waiting In Line" naturally warrants less coverage than "All Black People Statistically Earn >20% Less Than White People" or "87% of All NYC Stop-and-Frisk Targets Are Black, Latino; 88% of All Searches Prove Fruitless."

-Autistic Angel
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 05:31:35 PM »

I've told my wife before that someone was reverse-racist toward me and she said thats just racist! Not reverse. nod
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 09:20:50 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 04, 2014, 03:43:49 PM

Quote from: ATB on July 04, 2014, 12:36:35 PM

Black people can be racist?  Does the media know about this?

Yes.  It's just that you don't see it as much because "White Man Confronted While Waiting In Line" naturally warrants less coverage than "All Black People Statistically Earn >20% Less Than White People" or "87% of All NYC Stop-and-Frisk Targets Are Black, Latino; 88% of All Searches Prove Fruitless."

-Autistic Angel

Hmm. white dude hits black kid. Stops to help. Gets mauled by black mob had almost no coverage. Neither the victim nor the mob were claimed by obama as what his son would look like.  But a 'white latino' (first time I'd ever heard of that ethnicity) kills a black kid and global headlines and obama says that's his son.

As for what you mention, The New Jim Crow is an excellent book about how we got into the situation and how we've all been manipulated to encourage the continuation of those exact situations.

Edit: Nice Red herring by the way. So racism is excusable if you're oppressed?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:26:21 PM by ATB » Logged
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 02:45:51 AM »

of course it is. it's the new status quo.

it's all about revenge on those dastardly whites!

Roll Eyes

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 03:26:39 AM »

Quote from: ATB on July 04, 2014, 09:20:50 PM

But a 'white latino' (first time I'd ever heard of that ethnicity)

And yet, that ethnicity has been an official classification of the U.S. Census Bureau since 1980.  Turns out things still exist whether you've heard of them or not.

Quote from: ATB on July 04, 2014, 09:20:50 PM

I've only made two previous posts in this single page thread: one where I cited naednek's courage for simply walking away from a pointless confrontation, and a second where I pointed out the proportional difference between racist individuals and racist institutions which are occasionally covered by the media.  There's a total of three sentences.

In other words, actually pushing over a strawman would have required more effort than this.  You should get some rest.

-Autistic Angel
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 04:44:52 AM »

I think this thread has probably run its course in Off-Topic.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 11:39:20 AM »

People are dicks in all colors.   

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 05:25:53 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on July 05, 2014, 11:39:20 AM

yep!

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 06:12:46 PM »

I'd stay in line, order neopolitan and proudly display my cone while proclaiming I've just ordered a multi-colored, multicultural flavor. Then again, I live in Canada.  Tongue
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 09:18:32 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 05, 2014, 06:12:46 PM

I'd stay in line, order neopolitan and proudly display my cone while proclaiming I've just ordered a multi-colored, multicultural flavor. Then again, I live in Canada.  Tongue
damn I wished I thought of that smile
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 04:03:09 PM »

Quote from: naednek on July 05, 2014, 05:25:53 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on July 05, 2014, 11:39:20 AM

yep!

There's the moral to this story.
Isgrimnur