http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 05:21:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I got hit by a car while on my bicycle.  (Read 671 times)
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2010, 08:57:40 PM »

So it finally happened. I got right hooked this afternoon. I'm alive. Yay. My bike is mangled. Boo. The police and fire department were called. Witnesses stopped and spoke to the police. What do I do first? Do I call my own insurance company? Do they care if I got ran over on my bike? I think I should could call her insurance company, but before or after I call (if I need to) my own?

-Cota
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:10:41 PM »

While I'm nobody in the business, I'd call your own insurance company first and see what they suggest.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 09:25:06 PM »

Quote from: Cota on April 13, 2010, 08:57:40 PM

Do I call my own insurance company?

What insurance company are you planning on calling? Your car insurance won't care. Your homeowner's insurance doesn't sound very likely either. I'd be thinking about calling a personal injury lawyer.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 09:27:08 PM »

I would ask the police.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 09:28:07 PM »

Not quite sure how you would proceed, actually. coopasonic has a point about who you would actually call.

In any case, very scary. And while I have a pretty good route I bike to work on, I've had some close calls.

Good luck with however you may proceed.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 09:38:46 PM »

Well, my home owners and car insurance is with the same company, so I lump together. I only wonder that if for some reason her insurance company doesn't pay to fix/replace my bike, that I can fall back on my home owners to fix/replace it? I know it's covered for theft under home owners, but getting ran over? Also, I worry that if I report it to my own insurance company they'll use that to raise my rates somehow. For what it's worth, the police never asked me to share any insurance information.

And I did ask the police what I should do first, but I've already forgotten. Maybe I hit my head harder than I thought Tongue. It was pretty traumatic you know! Seeing my bike mangled up and all.

-Cota
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 09:44:16 PM »

I don't think it would hurt to call you homeowner's and auto insurance folks to ask some advice. Unless they are also your life insurance folks. If they find out you are a cyclist they might bump up your rates. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 09:48:12 PM »

Quote from: Cota on April 13, 2010, 09:38:46 PM

And I did ask the police what I should do first, but I've already forgotten. Maybe I hit my head harder than I thought Tongue. It was pretty traumatic you know! Seeing my bike mangled up and all.

My wife has this great story about a coworker of hers who got hit while on his bike. I can't remember all the details, but the gist of it was that he suddenly winds up at home after work and doesn't realize how he got there, and has to somehow backtrack and realize that he got hit by a car and told the cops he was ok to ride the rest of the way home. I believe he went to the doctor after that.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 09:57:39 PM »

I couldn't tell from your recap, did the driver stop and see if you were ok and give his or her information?
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 10:08:45 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 13, 2010, 09:57:39 PM

I couldn't tell from your recap, did the driver stop and see if you were ok and give his or her information?

Yes she did. And honestly, I think she was more shook up than I was. Her husband also happens to be a cyclist. She gave her info the police, who gave it to me.

Interestingly, I was just reading this article posted by a local cycling law firm, and in this article, it says there's something called PIP, on my auto insurance policy. Personal Injury Protection. It covers me as a cyclist and/or a pedestrian. So I guess if I need to, I could file a claim on my own policy. I don't know what that would do to my rates though.

-Cota
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 10:15:18 PM »

I don't know what I'm talking about, but shouldn't the driver's insurance be the party paying for everything?
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 10:17:28 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 13, 2010, 10:15:18 PM

I don't know what I'm talking about, but shouldn't the driver's insurance be the party paying for everything?

Yes. But I'm just wondering if I should be calling my own insurance company and reporting this.

-Cota
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 10:26:47 PM »

Quote from: Cota on April 13, 2010, 10:17:28 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on April 13, 2010, 10:15:18 PM

Yes. But I'm just wondering if I should be calling my own insurance company and reporting this.

-Cota

If it was me I wouldn't be concerned with insurance premiums and I would call my insurance just to get some better guidance on how to proceed.  I would also go to the hospital to get checked out even if I felt fine, especially to make sure I didn't have a concussion or anything.  I would hold onto every receipt related to the incident for dear life, especially hospital bills, get copies of every police report, and basically document everything.  I'd be sure not to make any admissions to the driver or her insurance company, and I would think about seeking legal advice.

If you're looking for more internet advice, this thread seems to have some sound advice.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 10:30:25 PM »

Your insurance company will go after her insurance company........
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 12:23:30 AM »

Alright, for what it's worth.

I called a local lawyer that specializes in among other things, cycling stuff. They told me to call my insurance, open a "PIP Claim" (it's an oregon thing) on my own auto policy, and they'll go after her insurance to cover that. And it doesn't affect my rates. Then they said call her insurance, tell them I was run over by one of their insured and say nothing else. So I did those things, and I got a PIP Claim number that I can take to the emergency room if I feel I need to. I am infact feeling sore in places that I didn't at the time of the accident.

Isn't it interesting that people claim there's a special place in hell for lawyers, but when someone asks, "What should I do?", the answer is, "Get a lawyer"? Not directed at anyone here, I'm just saying.

And why. Why do I feel sorry for the woman that hit me!? Jesus, she ran over me. But she was so apologetic. She was just bawling. She waited until my ride came to pick me and my bike up. (The police offered to give me a ride home, but we couldn't fit the bike in the car.) I think she would have gave me a ride home had I not already arranged one. Wouldn't that be an awkward moment?

Oh well, I'm alive. I've got all the paper work and phone calls started. I'm just waiting now to hear how badly my dear bicycle is hurt. Lets not forget about her. All bent up. *sob*

Thanks for the advice, by the way, friends.

-Cota
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 12:29:30 AM »

You don't really need a lawyer.  Your insurance company will work it out with her insurance company and her insurance company will offer you a bodily injury settlement.  I know, it's what I do for a living.  What insurance company does she have?  I'm actually dealing with a similar claim right now and the guy that hit the bike rider is outright distraught.  I mean, how would you feel if you hit a biker?  Glad to hear you're ok for the most part though.  Could have been A LOT worse.

PS:  I work in Oregon.

Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 12:38:36 AM »

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on April 14, 2010, 12:29:30 AM

You don't really need a lawyer.  Your insurance company will work it out with her insurance company and her insurance company will offer you a bodily injury settlement.  I know, it's what I do for a living.  What insurance company does she have?  I'm actually dealing with a similar claim right now and the guy that hit the bike rider is outright distraught.  I mean, how would you feel if you hit a biker?  Glad to hear you're ok for the most part though.  Could have been A LOT worse.

PS:  I work in Oregon.

She has Farmer's.

And you're right. I would be a flippin mess too, if I had hit a cyclist. Especially being one. And remember, her husband is an avid cyclist too, so she knew better.

You know, most of the time around here, the attitude of the driver is only to stop and back up and make sure you're still not breathing before they take off. But here I am. Feeling bad for both of us.

-Cota
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 01:16:51 AM »

"No no... I'm quite alright!   It's just a flesh wound really!"
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 04:02:16 AM »

Quote from: Cota on April 14, 2010, 12:38:36 AM

She has Farmer's.

You forgot the golden rule. If you are going to get hit by someone, make sure they have USAA. Those guys took better care of me than my own insurance company ever did. They were so good I'm making them my insurance company.. well I will... when I stop being lazy and get the change made... eventually.

I was clipped by a car side mirror while on my bike in college. I went down hard, wore a hole in the hip of my bike shorts and had a pretty mean abrasion on my hip but nothing else. Hooray for helmets!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: