http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 08:25:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I can't take it anymore  (Read 3777 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2006, 06:52:13 PM »

Does anybody else have a problem with the cross-posting that goes on between this forum and OO??  I swear sometimes I feel like I'm browsing the exact same forum.  If I wanted absolutely no variety then I would just stick with a single forum.  It seems like 30-40% of the threads are carbon copies of each other.

Anyways that's about it.  Sorry I just felt the need to vent. smile
All I ask is that if you're going to cross-post please state that you are doing so in your original post so we all know that you are too lazy to provide original content.  Copying and pasting makes you a spammer. smile
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 06:55:21 PM »

You should post this exact same thing at OO.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 06:56:30 PM »

I almost never, unless its a trade, cross post on the forums. I find it bad form, tacky, and honestly I prefer to keep my best, or at least my actual "me being pleasant and normal" time for GT. But anyways, the least the better, UNLESS its something simple like game releases, demo news, etc. There is nothing wrong with that stuff being duplicated. Its just the nature of the internet.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 06:58:58 PM »

It used to bug me, but I try not to dwell on it any more.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 07:08:42 PM »

Considering we get the same information but exactly none of the drama of OO, I consider it an evil I can live with.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 07:40:18 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
I find it bad form, tacky...

I read 'form' as 'forum.'

It makes more sense that way.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 07:46:31 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Heh.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 07:51:02 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Heh.
lol

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 07:57:27 PM »

Simplify your life.  Ditch OO.

All the cool kids are doing it.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 08:10:44 PM »

Ok though, while some of this is funny, lets not turn this into a site bashing thread, because the general discussion about cross posting is pertinent and worthy of talking about. So lets stay cool hmmmkay?
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 08:22:16 PM »

I'm not a huge fan, but I have been guilty of it on occassion. Typically I'll try, even if I'm posting on the same subject at both sites, to vary my posts up a little bit.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 08:33:18 PM »

I think each has their strengths and weaknesses.  
For example

I don't think OO would have a 4 page thread about Dragon Quest 8.  But I also don't think GT would have a 10 page thread about Gothic 2.  

Each place is different enough I think to compliment each other without drawing down.

What I find really interesting is how the responses and tone of a thread can be vastly different between the two sites even if the starting material is the same.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 08:37:39 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

What I find really interesting is how the responses and tone of a thread can be vastly different between the two sites even if the starting material is the same.

I find this particularly fascinating, from a socio-cultural sort of standpoint.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 08:57:07 PM »

Quote from: "Canuck"
Does anybody else have a problem with the cross-posting that goes on between this forum and OO??

I haven't been to OO for awhile so I'm missing the cross-posts.  That said, they are inevitable.  I'll occasionally post something here I see at QT3 or somewhere else but I always try to say "found this at QT3."

Let's not be hating on other forums here though.  Unless it's the IGN boards.  Feel free to bash those.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 09:02:51 PM »

For my daily dose of venom, few things can beat BC. But that's me. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 09:25:43 PM »

For example

I don't think OO would have a 4 page thread about Dragon Quest 8.

O Rly?

:wink:
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 09:31:08 PM »

I do it all the time. Simply because not everyone reads both forums and i like for everyone to see my posts.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 09:32:50 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
For example

O Rly?

NO WAI!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 09:35:38 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
I do it all the time. Simply because not everyone reads both forums and i like for everyone to see my posts.
Well we know you do, you are public enemy #1 smile
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 09:35:42 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
For my daily dose of venom, few things can beat BC. But that's me. smile

What he said!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 09:51:54 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Simplify your life.  Ditch OO.

All the cool kids are doing it.

I lucked out and found Console Gold on its own, got hooked, and migrated here of course after the whole domain issue.  However, I only recently found out about OO, and after reading on that forum for a couple of days, realized that I could do just fine with this place and Gamers With Jobs.  I don't need a third forum.  slywink

For that matter, I must say that it's amusing sometimes how much cross-posting I see on that forum and this one, too.  A lot of times I see the exact same thread (and first post) started on each forum by the same author.  What's up with that?  biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 10:21:20 PM »

I can see how each forum would give it's own slant on an issue, but it is an amusing thing.  For myself, there are enough of the people I knew from GG here, and essentially none of the idiots, that I'm perfectly happy here.  I will even say I find this place far more enjoyable than GG was.  The whole 'selective moderation' issue doesn't occur here, for one thing among many.

I also cut down on the forums I was on.  I had accounts at a few other forums, but most of the time it isnt worth it.  How many forums does one person really have time to check?  For me, it seems my limit is really one or two.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 12:27:47 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Let's not be hating on other forums here though.  Unless it's the IGN boards.  Feel free to bash those.

Can we bash the Gamefaqs boards as well? biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 12:33:42 AM »

I tried to get into their boards, but... wow, its just TOO scattered around.  Multiple forums for each version of each game?  WTF is up with that?

And don't get me started on their BS faq acceptance policies.  
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 01:09:33 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Does anybody else have a problem with the cross-posting that goes on between this forum and OO??

I haven't been to OO for awhile so I'm missing the cross-posts.  That said, they are inevitable.  I'll occasionally post something here I see at QT3 or somewhere else but I always try to say "found this at QT3."

Yes thanks for that, I apprecieate seeing "(crossposted at QT3)" even though I never visit that site. To me, crossposting without actually stating it is as bad as handing in an essay for university that you've already submitted for another class. If you're gonna do it, at least own up to it. smile

And for the record, I my purpose is not for this thread to descend into forum bashing (unless of course as it has already been stated, we're talking about IGN boards or Gamefaqs boards) as I actually quite like OO.  That's why the lack of content variety annoys me sometimes.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2006, 01:39:44 AM »

For example

O Rly?

NO WAI!

YA WAI!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
warning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2006, 01:56:43 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
For example

O Rly?

NO WAI!

YA WAI!!!

unbreakable
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2006, 02:04:26 AM »

...as bad as handing in an essay for university that you've already submitted for another class. If you're gonna do it, at least own up to it. smile

There's something wrong with that?  Sounds like working smart, not working hard.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2006, 02:07:15 AM »

...as bad as handing in an essay for university that you've already submitted for another class. If you're gonna do it, at least own up to it. smile

There's something wrong with that?  

Only if you if you get caught I suppose smile
unbreakable
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2006, 02:58:48 AM »

No, really, is there some rule which says you need to wholy create, new, each report you write?  I don't see something wrong with modifying old work, so long as it was actually authored by you.

I'm just wondering if this is not allowed.  Recycling old reports sounds like a great time saver.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2006, 04:34:19 AM »

No, really, is there some rule which says you need to wholy create, new, each report you write?  I don't see something wrong with modifying old work, so long as it was actually authored by you.

I'm just wondering if this is not allowed.  Recycling old reports sounds like a great time saver.

Been there - done that.  A lot of time I look at these 'reports' as the 'filler' of the class.  I'm not abject to recycling them as long as it isn't with the same instructor. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2006, 06:35:03 AM »

Yes it is illegal and you can get kicked out of your program for it!  If it wasn't then I would have perfected a generic essay and handed it in for every class.
unbreakable
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2006, 06:41:04 AM »

I was thinking more along the lines of a synergenistic report.  You choose a topic which can work for more than one class, and put your time into that.

However, is "illegal" really the proper term?
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2006, 10:13:24 AM »

I have been to OO twice... I think...

You dont cool kids like me there, so thusly this place is better by association.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2006, 05:03:59 PM »

I always 'massage' my reports to fit the class, but there are some reports that simply don't need to be rewritten.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2006, 05:26:12 PM »

This sounds like some of the petty bitchin' that goes on over there, too  :wink:

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it because it simply doesn't happen that often.

I've been guilty of doing it myself on occasion, but mostly concerning something console-related, bargain-related or hardware-related.

Makes sense, doesn't it?

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
unbreakable
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2006, 07:52:58 PM »

Bargain related I can see, since it is just spreading the word.
Same thing with computer problems.  It's just a greater chance that somebody would have a proper solution, or could help find one.

But as far as asking something like whether Salma Hayek is hotter than Vida Guerra, I don't see how many different forums some questions need to be posted in.  Althought honestly, for my money you can't see enough pictures of those two.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2006, 08:15:55 PM »

I've done it on occasion when it's a topic i really want some feedback on, particularly a gaming issue.

I only recently registered there but my home is here.   We got a tight little community here that i'm confortable with.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2006, 09:31:01 PM »

Quote from: "Xmann"
I've done it on occasion when it's a topic i really want some feedback on, particularly a gaming issue.

I only recently registered there but my home is here.   We got a tight little community here that i'm confortable with.

:  thumbsup
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2006, 03:10:12 AM »

II. Academic Offences

Academic offences shall include, but shall not be limited to, the following:

* Infringing unreasonably on the work of other members of the University community (e.g., disrupting classes or examinations; harassing, intimidating or threatening others).
    * Violation of safety regulations in a laboratory or other academic setting.
    * Cheating on examinations, assignments, work term reports, or any other work used to judge student performance. Cheating includes copying from another student's work or allowing another student to copy from one's own work, submitting another person's work as one's own, fabrication of data, consultation with any unauthorized person during an examination or test, and use of unauthorized aids.
    * Impersonating another student or entering into an arrangement with another person to be impersonated for purposes of taking examinations or tests, or carrying out laboratory or other assignments.
    * Plagiarism, which is the act of presenting the ideas, words or other intellectual property of another as one's own. The use of other people's work must be properly acknowledged and referenced in all written material such as take-home examinations, essays, laboratory reports, work-term reports, design projects, statistical data, computer programs and research results. The properly acknowledged use of sources is an accepted and important part of scholarship. Use of such material without complete and unambiguous acknowledgement, however, is an offence under this policy.
    * Obtaining by improper means examination papers, tests, or similar materials, or using or distributing such materials to others.
    * Falsifying academic records, including tests and examinations, or submitting false credentials for purposes of gaining admission to a program or course, or for any other purpose.
    * Oral or written misrepresentations which may have an effect on academic evaluations, such as making fraudulent health claims, obtaining medical or other certificates under false pretenses, or altering certificates for purposes of misrepresentation.
    * Submitting an essay, report, or assignment when a major portion has been previously submitted or is being submitted for another course without the express permission of all instructors involved.

III. Disciplinary Penalties

One or more of the following disciplinary penalties may be imposed:

* A reprimand shall be in the nature of a warning to the student that her/his behaviour has been unacceptable to the University and that further similar behaviour will lead to a stiffer penalty. A note to this effect shall be placed in the student's file by the Associate Dean, but will not appear on grade reports and transcripts; the note will be removed when the student completes her/his degree requirements.
    * Submission of a failing grade in an examination, test, assignment, or course; or, where applicable, failed standing in a term. A failing grade in a course or term shall remain part of the permanent academic record. The grade UR may be used while an alleged offence is under investigation or appeal.
    * Disciplinary probation for the balance of the period of registration at the University in the degree program in which the student was registered at the time of the offence. A note that the student has been placed on disciplinary probation shall be placed in the student's file by the Associate Dean, but will not appear on grade reports and transcripts; the note will be removed when the student completes her/his degree requirements. The impact of being placed on disciplinary probation is that any further offence will lead to a significantly stiffer penalty.
    * Restraining orders in the case of threats to individuals or restitution for property or other damages, as may be appropriate in certain cases.
    * Expunging grades or revoking degrees.
    * Suspension of a student from the University, which shall not exceed three years. While suspended, a student may not register in the University and shall lose the right to attend lectures, write examinations and receive payment from University sources; courses taken elsewhere during a period of suspension shall not be eligible for credit toward a UW degree. Notice of a suspension shall be placed in the student's file and will appear on any transcripts issued during the period of suspension. Upon completion of the period of suspension, the student will be eligible for reinstatement to full academic status and the notice of suspension will no longer appear on transcripts.
    * It is the student's responsibility to consult with an academic advisor prior to resuming studies. Depending on factors such as program changes implemented during the suspension, the student may be advised to undertake some type of preparatory work.
    * Expulsion shall be permanent and a statement of such action shall be part of the student's permanent academic record and shall appear on all subsequent transcripts.
    * Such other penalty or order as appropriate in the circumstances.

This is the policy from my alma mater.  I did it once-didn't get caught but I did feel pretty greasy.  Actually what I did was even worse because I think I handed in the same essay to the same proffessor only in two different years.  Both were very big history classes and I figured  that if I changed it around a little bit, the odds of him remembering my likely unmemorable essay were pretty low.

It's greasy to do it in university and it's even greasier to do it on here in my opinion.  I've got no problems with doing it for computer problems and stuff like that but for anything else it just seems like a cry for attention.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: