http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 02:47:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Bought My First Ever Bruce Springsteen Album  (Read 1670 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2008, 10:55:21 PM »

Lending further evidence of my secret life of Godless Communism, I purchased my first ever Bruce Springsteen album: Magic.

This is possibly not too much of an oddity, but figure it might be since I grew up in the 80's when he was hot hot stuff.

Anyway, based on the two songs I'd heard, Radio Nowhere and Girls In Their Summer Clothes, I figured I'd give it a shot, given that CC had an all CDs are 9.99 sale this weekend.

It's pretty much exactly what I expected a Springsteen album to be. It's a solid rock/bluesy type mix.  I've only listened through it once (while I was working in the yard), and it's pretty good so far.

So my question to all the Boss fans out there, how does this album stack up with the rest of his catalog. Is it pretty much consistent with his style?
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:09:41 AM »

Get The Rising (9/11 tribute) or his first two.

I listened to this one once...just kinda meh.

Boss credentials: wore out two 8 track tape of Born to Run.  icon_lol

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 12:27:12 AM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on May 27, 2008, 12:09:41 AM

Get The Rising (9/11 tribute) or his first two.

The Rising is a fantastic album. big  thumbsup
NetGuy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 01:31:18 AM »

I'm a HUGE Springsteen fan. 

In my opinion, Magic, while not bad, is not his best stuff.   (As mentioned, his best *recent* stuff is 'The Rising')

If you're looking for a Springsteen overview I'd recommend:
  • The Essential Bruce Springsteen - Collection of most of his greatest hits, plus a 3rd cd with some uniqe material
  • Live in NYC - double CD set of a concert in the late 90's.  It's a fantastic example of why he's considered such a tremendous live performer.  This (along with a greatest hits album) is probably the album that got me most interested in Bruce.
  • MTV Unplugged - Album released of his MTV Unplugged performence in the early 90's.  He's definitley plugged in, but it's great stuff that showcases the material he was releasing at the time.

As far as his studio albums, his best (in my opinion, and in no particular order) are:
  • The Rising
  • Born to Run
  • Lucky Town
  • Born in the USA
  • Greetings Rrom Asbury Park

As far as your 'is this typical' question.... that's hard to answer.  The albums I mentioned above stick pretty much to his rock/bluesy stuff.  Springsteen is a lot like Dylan in the sense that he has a lot of completly different styles he shifts between.  He can be a straight up rock star, he can slip into blues, he does a lot of stripped down solo acoustic folk songs,  he recently put out a big band treatment of folk classics, he does a lot of simple form cheesy rock songs, etc... It's one of the things I most admire about him.  If you get deeper into his work you can start exploring things like Devils and Dust, The Ghost of Tom Joad, Nebraska, Tracks, and the Seeger Sessions. smile smile

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 01:34:40 AM »

Asbury Park and The River

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 01:46:32 AM »

Born in the USA is the only one I've ever had. Altho I've had to buy it 3 times. icon_confused

Ye Olde Farte
map

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 03:41:51 AM »

Born to run

Save America, shoot your television.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 03:44:48 AM »

I haven't bought any Springsteen since Tunnel of Love, but Born to Run is an absolute classic. Thunder Road is one of the best songs EVER.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 04:56:08 AM »

Nebraska's a great album - Atlantic City's got to be a top five song of his.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 04:58:57 AM »

You now own one more than I do.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 11:28:54 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 27, 2008, 04:58:57 AM

Yep.  Maybe it's because I grew up hearing Born to Run and Born in the USA all the time but I can't stand the guy.  He always seemed pretentious.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 11:51:51 AM »

Quote from: warning on May 27, 2008, 11:28:54 AM

Quote from: Gratch on May 27, 2008, 04:58:57 AM

Yep.  Maybe it's because I grew up hearing Born to Run and Born in the USA all the time but I can't stand the guy.  He always seemed pretentious.

For me, Springsteen falls into the same category as Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, and Bono.  I have all the respect in the world for their musical talent, but something about their voice just sets my teeth on edge and it's impossible to listen to them.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 02:11:33 PM »

I have his Greatest Hits collection that came out in the 90's and that's it.  Perhaps it's time to rectify that.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 02:43:13 PM »

For shame on all of you other than Brendan.  Bruce released all-time Rock albums in the 70's (Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, The River), 80's (Born in the USA, Tunnel of Love) and stayed relevant (The rising) even after superstardom.  However, his single greatest effort, imho, is Nebraska, one of the greatest downer albums of all time.  Eight of the ten songs explore life in all it's shades of depression, heartache, desperation and loss.  And then wraps up with one of the most harsh yet true 'positive' songs he ever wrote.  Just a brilliant album, and coming off his 70's 'rocker' success, it was all the more startling.  You doing yourself a disservice if you don't own a copy.

Shining cross this dark highway,
where our sins lie unatoned.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 03:47:57 PM »

Nebraska is, indeed, one of the greatest downer albums, as might be expected given the inspiration for the title track.  slywink  It's also an all-time solo road trip album.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »

I liked Magic a lot, with the exception of the abysmal Your Own Worst Enemy.  I don't think it stacks up against some of the classics, although I think it is immeasurably better than The Rising, which a lot of folks seem to like but I thought pretty mediocre.  My personal favorites are his first two, Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ and the somewhat less accessible The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle.  All of his 70's and early 80's stuff is great though.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 05:46:05 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 26, 2008, 10:55:21 PM

Lending further evidence of my secret life of Godless Communism, I purchased my first ever Bruce Springsteen album: Magic.

This is possibly not too much of an oddity, but figure it might be since I grew up in the 80's when he was hot hot stuff.

Anyway, based on the two songs I'd heard, Radio Nowhere and Girls In Their Summer Clothes, I figured I'd give it a shot, given that CC had an all CDs are 9.99 sale this weekend.

It's pretty much exactly what I expected a Springsteen album to be. It's a solid rock/bluesy type mix.  I've only listened through it once (while I was working in the yard), and it's pretty good so far.

So my question to all the Boss fans out there, how does this album stack up with the rest of his catalog. Is it pretty much consistent with his style?

Did you not buy an Avril Lavigne album also?

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 06:12:02 PM »

Me and The Boss have a love/hate relationship.

Love:

Nebraska
Greatest Hits (90's one mentioned earlier)
The Rising
Magic (to a lesser extent than the others)
Glory Days - just the song. It makes me smile every time I hear it.

Hate:

Just about everything else. I don't really like hearing him talk, and in certain songs his slurred singing makes me want to claw my eardrums out.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 01:42:21 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on May 27, 2008, 05:46:05 PM

Quote from: ATB on May 26, 2008, 10:55:21 PM

Did you not buy an Avril Lavigne album also?

Yes but I threw it out after a single listen. It was abysmal.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 02:14:30 PM »

I hate Bruces voice.  I don't enjoy his musicianship.  I hate his message.  But the lyric, imagery, and rhythm of his early carreer were all brilliant.  He was the Eminem of his generation.  So in a way, I'd also put his early work on par with Bob Dylan.  If other people cover his work or he writes music for them, I'm all about him.  His own personnna, not so much.

Hence songs like "Blinded by the Light" and "Because the Night" are simply awesome.

I think his doing "Santa Clause is Comin to Town" was the total end from him for me.  I already was on the Brrrruuuucceee is crap train by the time Born in the USA came out.  At the same time, when I loved the Elmer Fudd doing "Fire" routine...  Again a cover.  smile

Perhaps I'd be tempted to buy any album from The River going all the way back to the begginning, which is probably the first thing I would buy.  Greetings Form Ass Berry Park would have to the start.  If you forced me to buy and album after The River then it'd only be Live 1975-85 because it shows a bit of his growth and change in perspective, as well as is the only published self perfromed version of "Because the Night".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live/1975%E2%80%9385
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Because_the_Night
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkness_on_the_Edge_of_Town
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_to_Run
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild%2C_the_Innocent_%26_the_E_Street_Shuffle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greetings_from_Asbury_Park%2C_N.J.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 02:33:35 PM »

I think his doing "Santa Clause is Comin to Town" was the total end from him for me.

He not only ruined the traditional song in his own version, but his version spawned copycat versions that have now replaced the standard in terms of popularity. Which infuriates me because his inflection is all wrong in that song, and now he has everybody doing it. Thanks for reminding me of that; his stock just plummeted in my mind.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 02:42:06 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 02, 2008, 02:33:35 PM

I think his doing "Santa Clause is Comin to Town" was the total end from him for me.

He not only ruined the traditional song in his own version, but his version spawned copycat versions that have now replaced the standard in terms of popularity. Which infuriates me because his inflection is all wrong in that song, and now he has everybody doing it. Thanks for reminding me of that; his stock just plummeted in my mind.

Before I came to bahumbug Christmas radio, there were only two songs I christmas songs I couldn't stand.  Bruce's "Santa Clause is Comin to Town" and Elvis' "Blue Christmas".  But then one after another came things like McCartney's "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time" and now there might be three of four Christmas songs I can think of that I can actually stomach.  The only one that comes to mind handily is Emerson, Lake, and Plamer's "I Believe in Father Christmas"
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 05:58:21 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on June 02, 2008, 02:42:06 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on June 02, 2008, 02:33:35 PM

He not only ruined the traditional song in his own version, but his version spawned copycat versions that have now replaced the standard in terms of popularity.

um, I'm pretty sure Bruce's version of the "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" is basically a cover of the Crystals version, so don't blame him for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnB_AeRdOUM

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 06:02:33 PM »

Bah! Nobody's ever heard of The Crystals. Bruce popularized it, thus Bruce gets the blame!  mad
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 06:22:55 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 02, 2008, 06:02:33 PM

Bah! Nobody's ever heard of The Crystals. Bruce popularized it, thus Bruce gets the blame!  mad

Why are you and I in agreement here?  I fear you have done something with YK I am familiar with?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 06:31:37 PM »

I only ever really liked Glory Days.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 06:37:47 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on June 02, 2008, 02:42:06 PM

Before I came to bahumbug Christmas radio, there were only two songs I christmas songs I couldn't stand.  Bruce's "Santa Clause is Comin to Town" and Elvis' "Blue Christmas".  But then one after another came things like McCartney's "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time" and now there might be three of four Christmas songs I can think of that I can actually stomach.  The only one that comes to mind handily is Emerson, Lake, and Plamer's "I Believe in Father Christmas"

There's only two I can stomach, and only for their ironic hipster kitsch value:

Bing and Bowie where we learn that Ziggy Stardust apparently "lives down the road" from Bing Crosby.
Run DMC!:  being a west coast guy, this is how I learned what "Christmas-time in Hollis, Queens" was like.
tgb1.1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 10:44:24 PM »

Leave it to me to totally derail the thread with the bestest version of Santy Claws Is Coming To Town ever.

"My performance in Postal as 'Nazi Theme Park Owner' outperforms easily Ben Kingsley in Schindler's List!" - Uwe Boll
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 10:03:30 PM »

whoaaa-ohhh-ohhhh Elmer Fudd
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: