http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 01:42:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I bought a bottle of sake...what's the best way to drink it?  (Read 1281 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2006, 10:33:32 PM »

I've never had it before.  And it showing up in Okami made me go out and buy a bottle.

So, how do you GT-sake-drinker's like your sake?  Warm?  Room-temp?  On the rocks?

TheMissingLink on PSN
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 10:35:50 PM »

Cold.  Refridgerate it.

Warm sake is only served to hide bad sake.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 10:43:36 PM »

Sip it, realize that rice is not good alcohol and keep the bottle as a reminder of your mistake. I tried it cold, I tried it warm, I won't try it anymore.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 11:06:43 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 22, 2006, 10:35:50 PM

Cold.  Refridgerate it.

actually chilling a beverage is how you hide poor quality, not heating.  This is why poor wines are better served chilled. 

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060615010040AAgleKw  there is one reference, you can find plenty more.  I watch too much food network and go to too many wine tastings. 

Most people I know prefer Sake chilled because it's such a harsh burn at room temp or higher.  It's especially rough if you aren't used to hard liquor. 

"Unlike many drinks, it is mild on the stomach and its aroma can be savored whether served hot or cold -- or even over ice"

Traditionally I believe it's served slightly warm like a mulled wine, lately the brands sold here advise chilling but I think that's due to most Americans having issues with the bite of the sake and chilling it tones that down and hides some of the flavors.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 12:24:01 AM »

Serving it warm IS done to hide the bad flavor of a poor Sake.  Serving it chilled is the way to do it.  Chilled, not near frozen.  Same goes for white wine, you dont want it near freezing and that isnt what chilled means.  I also agree with whoever said rice doesnt make good alcohol, they are right.  Sake is decent at best. 

Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 12:27:12 AM »

Reminds me of someone telling me that a Sake Bloody Mary was the best drink ever made.  I still wanna die from it, and this was 2 years ago frown

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 12:44:34 AM »

in a pink cup while depward paints your tonails pink as you wear your pink tutu and pink tiara that match your pink DS  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 01:02:23 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 22, 2006, 11:06:43 PM

Quote from: gellar on September 22, 2006, 10:35:50 PM

Cold.  Refridgerate it.

actually chilling a beverage is how you hide poor quality, not heating.  This is why poor wines are better served chilled. 

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060615010040AAgleKw  there is one reference, you can find plenty more.  I watch too much food network and go to too many wine tastings. 

Most people I know prefer Sake chilled because it's such a harsh burn at room temp or higher.  It's especially rough if you aren't used to hard liquor. 

"Unlike many drinks, it is mild on the stomach and its aroma can be savored whether served hot or cold -- or even over ice"

Traditionally I believe it's served slightly warm like a mulled wine, lately the brands sold here advise chilling but I think that's due to most Americans having issues with the bite of the sake and chilling it tones that down and hides some of the flavors.

Wine != Sake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sake

As heating serves to mask the undesirable flavors of lower-quality sake, it is said that the practice became popular during World War II to mask the rough flavor of low-quality sake resulting from scarcity of quality ingredients.

The most common way to serve sake in the United States is to heat it to body temperature (37C/98.6F), but professional sake tasters prefer room temperature (20C/68F), and chilled sake (10C/50F) is growing in popularity.

If there's one thing I know, it's alcohol.

gellar
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 01:32:43 AM »

Sake is technically a form of rice beer, isn't it?

xbox live: nude rick james
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 04:04:39 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 23, 2006, 12:44:34 AM

in a pink cup while depward paints your tonails pink as you wear your pink tutu and pink tiara that match your pink DS  Tongue

Nice.   icon_lol

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 09:02:02 AM »

http://www.asianartmall.com/sakewarmcold.htm

"Any sake that has had distilled alcohol added will generally benefit from heating, because it enhances the flavor of these types."

http://www.hakutsuru-sake.com/content/02.html

When Japanese "sake" is made warm or hot, the taste of the "sake" becomes deeper, and it is possible to feel the flavor which differs from that of "sake" consumed at room temperature

Wiki is not always correct, and I do know alcohol, not just wine.  Cold hiding flavor is true for all food, not just wine I was just using the most common example.

I don't like getting into pissing matches online, so I'll be done after this, I'll still read though if you have further proof for the myth that it started being warmed in WWII since every article I've read over the years mentions they've warmed it throughout history.  Sake is very much an aquired taste and most people I know don't care for it because it seems so harsh.  It's more tolerable cold or chilled, but it still maintains some of it's unique flavors.

Sake isn't a rice beer, though there are some really good rice beers available, sake is a hard liquor.

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 01:44:48 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 23, 2006, 09:02:02 AM

Sake is very much an aquired taste and most people I know don't care for it because it seems so harsh.  It's more tolerable cold or chilled, but it still maintains some of it's unique flavors.

Sake isn't a rice beer, though there are some really good rice beers available, sake is a hard liquor.

I used to think sake was harsh and bitter and yucky. Then I found some information online, and from Japanese friends. Basically the information boils down to: sake, like wine, has different levels of quality, sweetness, and whatever else one uses to describe the flavor of alchohol. Personally I find the Sho Chiku Bai brands equivalent to Milwaukee's Best. Other than that, I don't have a brand preference, but I do prefer the sake types called Ginjo-shu or Daiginjo-shu. Those typically go down almost like water and then I feel a pleasant warming sensation in my chest.  If you're lucky you can find imported sake bottles on which the American importer has put info about the level of sweetness and acidity along with more descriptions about the flavor. I tend to go towards the more sweet sake as that goes down a lot better than the Milwaukees Best stuff.

However, I have found that ALL sake generally gets more bitter if you have leftovers after its been opened and are trying to save the leftovers for another night. So, invite some friends and have them help you down the entire bottle in one sitting. I also find that, warm or cold is not the end all be all to enjoyment of sake. Its serving sake with friends and observing the sake ettiquette. In this case, the pourer always pours for others, never for himself. Then someone else will take the bottle and serve the original pourer. Also, sip the sake because as soon as the cup is empty it must be refilled. To me THAT is the point of how to enjoy sake.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 01:54:37 PM »

Try it both ways and see which you like better. It's largely a personal taste thing, though some kinds are better suited to being hot or cold.  If you order sake in Japan, they'll ask you which way you want it.

Of course, if you really want to experience it the way people in modern Japan do, buy a bottle of shochu instead. :)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 02:02:03 PM »

I had a couple glasses tonight...not too bad.  I need to try it chilled.  And a little warmer than room temp. 

For reference, I picked up the Fu-Ki Sake biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 02:19:23 PM »

That sounds like the start of a good evening...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006, 06:06:34 PM »

That sounds like the start of a good evening...

Interesting... i always thought it was sake, then fu-ki?  but ive always been big on the fore... nevermind
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 06:44:48 PM »

i very frequently get sake when I go for sushi.  that or green tea, depending on time of day, or my mood at the time.  the palce I go is very good.  The sushi is top notch, the chef there is great, and always willing to tell me what he recommends for the day.  Which is always a plus.

As for sake, there are MANY different brands, some you will find made in the US.

I have had room temp sake, and cold sake, and warm/hot sake.  I prefer Hot Sake.  I think it gives it a nice flavor.  I have had some sake that just tasted like alchohol, and thats all.  course I have had wine that literally tasted like vomit/bile in a bottle.  i am going to bet that just like wine, different types of sake should be served at different temperatures.  reds at room temp, whites and blushes chilled.  The make clear sake, white sake, and sort of a cloudy sake.

Keep in mind as well.  Its rice alchohol.  its not the same as the alchohol you are used to drinking.  It may affect your differently.  Also warm alchohol gets into your system faster.

SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 08:45:50 PM »

One time I had some chilled sake with some plum wine mixed in it.  Motherfucking Delicious.

Just Hiro will do.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 08:42:21 AM »

Run a tube down your throat and pour the sake directly into your stomach, conveniently avoiding your mouth, tastebuds, and throat.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 11:09:46 AM »

"I bought a bottle of sake...what's the best way to drink it?"

Having it sipped and swallowed by somebody else.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 08:57:22 PM »

What kind of sake is Fu-Ki?  Dry or sweet?

I have learned and practiced recently from those more learned in the partaking of sake that sweet sake is best tasting served colder than room temp and dry sake served warmer than room temp.  I have partaken of both in varying temperatures, and found this rule to be generally true.  The aromas of good dry sake are released by heating it, which, in my opinion, allows your palate to prepare for the actual libation, with the alcohol bite secondary to the rice wine goodness.

An excellent American sake company, SakeOne, makes cheap fantastic Ginjo style and sweet sake's...their Moonstone line of dessert sake is great, with the Asian pear sake topping my personal list.

The best sake I've ever tasted, though is called Divine Droplets, made by Japanese brewer Takasago Shuzo.  If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.  It is so choice.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 09:06:17 PM by WarPig » Logged

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2006, 03:54:05 PM »

I dont like sake much.  If I am choosing what to drink it would be at about the bottom of the list.  That said if you have to drink it, sake bombs are the best way because you are chugging some beer too.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2006, 05:10:12 PM »

Mix it with soy sauce, marinate some chicken with it, skewer the chicken, and grill. Mmmmmm

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: