http://gamingtrend.com
November 20, 2014, 09:34:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I ate 5 Guys  (Read 1645 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2010, 03:57:34 AM »

Pervs

Nooo I ate at 5 Guys with my wife today. First time ever. Opinion.....overpriced but good. The burgers were the way I love them....juicy,greasy, and since it was a cheeseburger..melty. We made the mistake of getting the large fries to share. It was like having 6 orders of other place's single large fries. the fry cup was filled up and half the bag too. But I have to agree that they are the best fries in town. Yum. I think I got my limit of salt and trans fat in one visit. Loved it. Will go back. Still $18 was a bit much with no dessert.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:13:33 AM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 04:08:17 AM »

I've only eaten there twice.  Both times while on vacation in North Carolina.  The first time, I went with my dad to pick up lunch for everyone.  We got 6 orders of burgers and fries, then my dad decided to order an extra order of fries on top of that for some reason.  The amount of fries we found in the bags when we got it all back to the beachhouse was insane.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 04:14:24 AM »

I love 5 Guys.  #1 thing I miss having around since I moved from DC.  There's one here in Renton but that's quite a ways outside the city in a direction I don't go.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 04:41:35 AM »

Ate it once and wasn't terribly impressed. There's two near my work... I'm still waiting for a Steak N Shake to hit Jersey because I LOVE that place.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 04:51:57 AM »

They opened one of these a few miles away a year ago. Haven't been there because it's too far to drive for takeout -- the food would be cold by the time it got home. Maybe someday I'll go there to eat in. Wife doesn't eat burgers so it would have to be a solo trip.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 07:36:21 AM »

Quote from: kathode on June 21, 2010, 04:14:24 AM

I love 5 Guys.  #1 thing I miss having around since I moved from DC.  There's one here in Renton but that's quite a ways outside the city in a direction I don't go.

According to their website there is also one in Northgate, Marysville, and soon Lynwood.  Those are all in the wrong direction for me, though. 

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 12:11:03 PM »

5 Guys is pretty good while waiting for the elusive (ie never gonna happen) East Coast In-N-Out.

BTW: Cruelest prank, ever

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 03:05:28 PM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on June 21, 2010, 04:41:35 AM

Ate it once and wasn't terribly impressed. There's two near my work... I'm still waiting for a Steak N Shake to hit Jersey because I LOVE that place.

Not impressed with 5 Guys but love Steak N Shake. That's just not a stance I can possibly understand. I guess if you prefer your burgers teensy and dry and your fries anorexic.  icon_twisted

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 03:11:49 PM »

I prefer my burgers to not be soaking through the bun with grease and ruining my shirt when I try to pick them up.

Five Guys > Steak and Shake.  Of course, for burgers, I usually go to Fuddruckers or Jake's (small Dallas franchise).

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 03:27:47 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 21, 2010, 03:11:49 PM

I prefer my burgers to not be soaking through the bun with grease and ruining my shirt when I try to pick them up.

Five Guys > Steak and Shake.  Of course, for burgers, I usually go to Fuddruckers or Jake's (small Dallas franchise).

Never had a 5 Guys burger defeat the bun. I'd take 5 Guys over Fuddrucker's any day. I haven't had Jake's. The Plano location is on the wrong side of Plano, but I'll see if I can get over there to try it.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 03:37:35 PM »

I just had 5 guys for the first time last week.  I thought both the burger and fries were great (they do give you a ton of fries) and will eat there again.  I agree that they are expensive.  I thought it was funny, they have all these articles up in the store saying how much their food is a good value and how you get the most for your money, then my bill comes for one burger and one order of fries and it was one of the most expensive fast food meals I've ever had. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 03:43:49 PM »

I think the good value comes, not from comparing it to Fast Food chains (the prep time is often a little slow in 5 Guys, IMO), but in the quality of ingredients you get for the price.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 03:55:19 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 21, 2010, 03:43:49 PM

I think the good value comes, not from comparing it to Fast Food chains (the prep time is often a little slow in 5 Guys, IMO), but in the quality of ingredients you get for the price.

oh, I got that after I ate.  It was just I read the articles in the restroom before I ordered and to me they strongly implied that 5 guys was inexpensive.  So I was a little shocked when the bill came.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 04:02:08 PM »

Don't forget the shelled peanuts. My kids skip the fries and eat the peanuts instead.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 04:06:13 PM »

Quote from: KC on June 21, 2010, 04:02:08 PM

Don't forget the shelled peanuts. My kids skip the fries and eat the peanuts instead.

The price is definitely right on those. slywink

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 05:00:51 PM »

I love them.  We took a two week vacation to Charlottesville VA last summer and I ate there 3-4 times.  I even got a t-shirt!  Of course the only reason I could do that is because we don't have any in Iowa and probably won't for years (and by then they will have started cutting costs so they won't be as good). 

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 05:43:35 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on June 21, 2010, 03:57:34 AM

Yum. I think I got my limit of salt in one visit. Loved it. Will go back.

I felt cheated by the title of this thread until I read the text more closely (see above).
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »

Yeah one of these finally opened up here recently. Love their burgers and fries. Good BBQ sauce and also liked adding A-1 to the burger.

The one that got pimped was Sonic and those have started opening up recently here too. Tried it once but it really didn't do anything for me. There's also Fat Burger but there are only two in the state and none are close - maybe its for the best.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 06:44:56 PM »

Went for the first time a few weeks ago. It was good, but INSANELY expensive. My wife and I got serious sticker shock when we paid for it. If we ever go back, we'll be sure to split the fries, as I think we ended up throwing out 3/4 of them. We have a place called PTs that has burgers and fries just as good for much less money, so I don't see us going back anytime soon.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 06:51:22 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 21, 2010, 06:44:56 PM

Went for the first time a few weeks ago. It was good, but INSANELY expensive.

A $6 burger is INSANELY expensive? It's not cheap, but "INSANELY" is a bit strong.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 07:20:39 PM »

Eh hell the best burger here is still the Lotta Burger by far. Sold at The Rebel. it's a classic joint thats been here since the 1950's. Used to be a south east thing. Now only this one remains.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 07:34:01 PM »

If you go to 5 Guys and get it to go, do not close the top on the bag of fries.  They need to breathe to stay crisp - close the bag and you'll have a bunch of soggy fries by the time you get home.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 08:17:57 PM »

We've had 5 Guys near us for about a year and they are very good.  But we got a nearish Smashburger a few months ago and I like it much more than 5 Guys.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 08:21:01 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on June 21, 2010, 07:34:01 PM

If you go to 5 Guys and get it to go, do not close the top on the bag of fries.  They need to breathe to stay crisp - close the bag and you'll have a bunch of soggy fries by the time you get home.

unfortunately, your car will also take on a new smell for a while afterward...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 09:00:01 PM »

Quote from: Dramatist on June 21, 2010, 08:17:57 PM

We've had 5 Guys near us for about a year and they are very good.  But we got a nearish Smashburger a few months ago and I like it much more than 5 Guys.

Same here.  5 Guys is decent, but there's about 4-5 other places I'd go before settling on them.

McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 11:57:42 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 21, 2010, 12:11:03 PM

5 Guys is pretty good while waiting for the elusive (ie never gonna happen) East Coast In-N-Out.

BTW: Cruelest prank, ever

This. Nothing touches the In n Outs.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 12:52:59 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 21, 2010, 05:43:35 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on June 21, 2010, 03:57:34 AM

Yum. I think I got my limit of salt in one visit. Loved it. Will go back.

I felt cheated by the title of this thread until I read the text more closely (see above).

Well, we do have people talking about In-And-Out in this thread too.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 01:14:05 AM »

I've never been to 5 Guys, but Smashburger is pretty good.  I've only been to In-And-Out a couple times and it was alright.  I think I'm partial to the burgers at the local Waterloo, though.  Of course you pay for it.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 02:28:14 AM »

A $6 burger is INSANELY expensive? It's not cheap, but "INSANELY" is a bit strong.

It is when you're buying a $3.50 side of fries and a $2.00 drink to go with it. Spending almost $25 on lunch for two people at a casual burger joint ranks in my "insane" category. I could have gone to a dine-in restaurant for that. If I'm going to spend that kind of money for fast food, I better be at Disney World grabbing a bite to eat before riding Splash Mountain.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 03:49:05 AM »

Top center comment.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 04:15:03 PM »

Was standing outside the one at Northgate Mall a couple months ago, but it didn't look that interesting. I think we ended up eating at the Ram brewery instead, which was really good.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 06:20:53 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 22, 2010, 04:15:03 PM

it didn't look that interesting

look? I suppose you are correct the actual restaurant is very plain... But that prevented you from trying the food?

TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 10:01:41 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 22, 2010, 02:28:14 AM

It is when you're buying a $3.50 side of fries and a $2.00 drink to go with it. Spending almost $25 on lunch for two people at a casual burger joint ranks in my "insane" category. I could have gone to a dine-in restaurant for that. If I'm going to spend that kind of money for fast food, I better be at Disney World grabbing a bite to eat before riding Splash Mountain.

Wife and I went there for lunch today.   Spent $15-$16.  We each had a burger and drink and we split an order of fries.  I don't see how you're spending $25 on lunch for two people unless you're each getting the double burgers and each your own order of fries.

Probably the one thing that keeps me coming back is the fresh jalapenos.  Every other restaurant in the city uses canned jalapenos and that's including the multitude of Mexican eateries.

But not 5 Guys.  Man, fresh jalapenos on a burger is just too damn good not to keep eating there.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 11:46:30 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 22, 2010, 02:28:14 AM

A burger and fries was under 8 bucks at Epcot when we went last month. I bought my wife, my daughter and I lunch and it came to around 24 bucks. Either I've been ruined by horrible Jersey prices or that's pretty reasonable for a amusement park. Great Adventure in Jersey by comparison is around 40 bucks for a whole pizza.  icon_eek We saw people going up to the register and spending over 100 bucks on just food. So ya I bring food with me when I go. slywink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: