http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 10:25:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm outa here.  (Read 1756 times)
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2009, 01:33:48 AM »

I *might* come back.

-Cota
Suitably Ironic Moniker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 01:37:44 AM »

Have a good trip?

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 01:38:57 AM »

I'm outta here as well, but to a slightly different destination:

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 01:46:49 AM »

My dad had a coworker a long ways back who started biking south from San Jose with Brazil or something as a destination.  Pretty cool.   I think something made him stop halfway down, and I can't remember what it was, but make sure you watch out for that.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 01:59:41 AM »

That seat looks like it would make my ass hurt after about 20 minutes.

Good luck!
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 02:22:19 AM »

I am full of hate and jealousy. Have fun.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 02:28:56 AM »

Me too.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 02:37:46 AM »

I'm stickin' around for the AZ monsoons.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 02:41:13 AM »

IIRC, there was a dood on OO/GT somewhere who did a diary type thread of he and his buddy riding cross country.  It was incredibly awesome.

I hope you do the same. Safe travels!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 04:41:28 AM »

You need a SIGG water bottle on that thing. Maybe the route 66 one.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 06:10:58 AM »

Erm, I'm actually interested in doing something like this... but how does one even begin?  I'm already getting back into shape and I also feel the call of doing something adventurous like biking all over, taking my sketchbook with me, but the logistics baffle me.  Where do you sleep?  What do you eat?  How much do you plan your route?
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 08:16:59 AM »

No toe clips? Two kickstands? This bike is odd to me!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 12:39:41 PM »

Maybe two kickstands because there's too much weight for one to keep it upright?  icon_confused
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 01:25:02 PM »

You're missing one thing on that bike.  A motor.  Seriously, I envy your ability to just load up and go.  I will never be able to do that.  The wife, dogs, sick relatives.  I am 50 and as of yet have never had the opportunity to 'get away'.  My life long dream has always been to get on the back of a big comfortable motorcycle and spend a  Summer exploring the US.  Alas, it will NEVER happen.

Go man go!

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 01:37:18 PM »

You guys are reading alot into that picture.  Maybe Cota is just going for a weekend biking trip.  You all make it sound like there is a circumnavigation of the globe taking place.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 02:46:30 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on July 18, 2009, 01:37:18 PM

You guys are reading alot into that picture.  Maybe Cota is just going for a weekend biking trip.  You all make it sound like there is a circumnavigation of the globe taking place.

In addition to the picture there's "I"m outa here and I *might* come back," which hints at a more epic trip than a trip to the 7-11 and back.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 03:12:28 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on July 18, 2009, 08:16:59 AM

No toe clips? Two kickstands? This bike is odd to me!

I'm assuming that the two kickstands keep the bike upright rather than slightly leaning to one side.  What with the weights hanging off the sides, it probably seems like a good idea.

Have a good time!  A few years ago I grabbed a crappy old mountain bike and my backpack and I biked across Normandy for 2 weeks.  Best f'in time of my life!
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 03:16:24 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 18, 2009, 02:28:56 AM

Me too.  smile

That looks very much like the Opryland Hotel in Nashville. Am I right?
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 04:33:34 PM »

When I take a cross country trip next summer it will also be on a bike but not a Surly;

Only a few more bits to put on it and she's ready to go.

Your bike looks great, have fun!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 04:51:51 PM »

Are those style bikes as comfortable as say a cruiser for long trips?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on July 18, 2009, 03:16:24 PM

Quote from: Gratch on July 18, 2009, 02:28:56 AM

Me too.  smile

That looks very much like the Opryland Hotel in Nashville. Am I right?

You are correct sir!

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 09:44:55 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on July 18, 2009, 04:33:34 PM

When I take a cross country trip next summer it will also be on a bike but not a Surly;

How long have Triumph been back in the thick of it? I've always loved Harley's. But the old Truimph Bonneville 650cc was a great looking upright twin.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 01:30:36 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on July 18, 2009, 09:44:55 PM

How long have Triumph been back in the thick of it? I've always loved Harley's. But the old Truimph Bonneville 650cc was a great looking upright twin.

Zinfan has the right idea. Triumph has been back for awhile. I was looking at buying a Speed Triple about 5 years ago. The new Bonnevilles still look great.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 07:32:33 AM »

Quote from: mori on July 19, 2009, 01:30:36 AM

Quote from: Arclight on July 18, 2009, 09:44:55 PM

Zinfan has the right idea. Triumph has been back for awhile. I was looking at buying a Speed Triple about 5 years ago. The new Bonnevilles still look great.

I think the mid 90's might be about right for the return of the Triumph's but I'd have to look it up.  The 1050cc triple engine in this bike is very well regarded as one of the best out there and I can report it is lots of fun.  Sorry for the threadjack Cota, pedal on pedal on.
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 09:20:16 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 18, 2009, 02:41:13 AM

IIRC, there was a dood on OO/GT somewhere who did a diary type thread of he and his buddy riding cross country.  It was incredibly awesome.

That would be Soup.  You can find his final post on the trip here with lots of great info along with a link to a gallery he made for the photo book he was having printed of the whole trip.

Count me in the jealous camp, hope you have a great trip.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 04:35:50 PM »

Is it possible he/she just doesn't like us and is leaving GT?  NO! That would just be crazy talk!   icon_eek

Mikeg, I'm sorry to hear you are suffering the post-50 "sick relatives syndrome" - it really is no fun. The dog is fun, some spouses are fun, but constantly busting to help the sick and/or old... not so much fun.  I hope it ends well for you, my relatives' situations don't have much hope, unfortunately.  icon_frown

Well, Cota - whoever you are, lol - if you are going on a biking trip and you want to go on it and it goes well, congratulations!   nod

Someday, let us know if you went, where you went, if you loved it, and if you are (happy to be) back.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 06:02:16 PM »

Quote from: joeyjazz on July 19, 2009, 09:20:16 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 18, 2009, 02:41:13 AM

That would be Soup.  You can find his final post on the trip here with lots of great info along with a link to a gallery he made for the photo book he was having printed of the whole trip.

Count me in the jealous camp, hope you have a great trip.

Thanks for that JJ. It was really neat to see it again...I can't believe it has been 3 years already...
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 07:41:59 PM »

Is your name Doug?
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 12:27:11 AM »

Geez. I go camping for the weekend and ya'll act like I rode off to the edge of the world (there is an edge you know). I guess that's what I get for being all mysterious and dramatic. Anyways, I know I was loaded for a month long tour, but I only went out for the weekend to a state park about 35 miles from my home. I fully intend to do week/month/??? long tours, but I am starting with overnighters. You see, I haven't camped since I was a kid, probably 25 years now or longer, and that was all by car. I have a lot to learn about bicycle camping and touring. Since early this winter, I've been slowly piecing my equipment together as funds allowed and finally was able to pack it all on a bike and take off this weekend. Let me tell you, it was great.

I hooked up with this outfit called Cycle Wild. They lead two or three day trips to local wilderness locations. There's no charge for this, as they provide nothing but guidance. You have to provide your own equipment, food and pay your own fees if any. They call what they do "bicycle camping". I am interested in "touring". There's a bit of difference you can imagine, but there is some cross-over, and I figured it would be a good chance to practice with my equipment and work on a typical packing list. And hell, bicycle camping is just fun too. The weather was perfect, mid 80's and sunny the whole time. I lay in bed friday night going over the trip in my head, and it occured to me - I'm going into the wilderness with a group of strangers I read about on the internet. Is this a good idea, I wondered? Well, it was fine, naturally. Except for the two Cycle Wild folks, we were all newbies. They were all cool and interesting though, and we all survived just fine.

Is your name Doug?

Me? No.

I'm assuming that the two kickstands keep the bike upright rather than slightly leaning to one side.  What with the weights hanging off the sides, it probably seems like a good idea.

That's right. When it deploys, it's like a center stand on a motorcycle. I've read that one legged kickstands will not support a loaded touring bike and often tip over.

Have a good time!  A few years ago I grabbed a crappy old mountain bike and my backpack and I biked across Normandy for 2 weeks.  Best f'in time of my life!

Nice. I am wet with anticipation of my first multi week tour. It seems like such an adventure.

The wife, dogs, sick relatives.

Gods, I hear you man. My mother and my grandmother have both been sick this summer, and I've spent most of time running back and forth caring for them. I would be a lot further along with my goals to get out and tour this summer were it not for them. But, it's my mom and grandmother. You gotta take care of 'em (though I keep threatening to put my mom into a home if she doesn't get herself back together smile ). As for the dog, I just came home with a new bicycle trailer for dogs. I don't know about taking her touring with me, but I reckon she'll enjoy weekend camping trips!

I am 50 and as of yet have never had the opportunity to 'get away'.  My life long dream has always been to get on the back of a big comfortable motorcycle and spend a  Summer exploring the US.  Alas, it will NEVER happen.

Never say never, as they say. I'm 42 and just getting started. Yeah, I wish I had gotten into cycling 20 years ago, but I didn't. I'm doing it now though. I hope you can make it happen for yourself. When I was a young boy, my mother hung around a bunch of motorcyclists. I went on several summer tours with that crowd and it was just awesome. Do it!

Erm, I'm actually interested in doing something like this... but how does one even begin?  I'm already getting back into shape and I also feel the call of doing something adventurous like biking all over, taking my sketchbook with me, but the logistics baffle me.  Where do you sleep?  What do you eat?  How much do you plan your route?

All good questions, and ones that I'm still trying to answer for myself. My biggest hurdle so far has been - what to eat? Well, this weekend, even though it was just an overnighter, I treated it more like a tour, with respect to gear and food. For supper, I boiled some pasta and squirted pizza sauce over it. Pasta is easy pack along. I don't know how long the pizza sauce would last without refrigeration, but I reckon it would be good for a couple of days anyways. It wasn't half bad at all! For breakfast, I had oatmeal. I eat oatmeal for breakfast everyday anyways. It's easy to pack along, needs only water (though I brought some brown sugar to put in it). For lunch, I bought some foil packets of tuna and bread. Again, easy to pack, no refigeration. A little plain, and dry, to be sure, but completely edible and satisfying. I also brought peanut butter, but didn't have any. I pretty much live on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at home, but I wasn't sure if jelly would survive on a tour. The guys at the camp seemed to think jelly would be fine, so I'll try that next time. So that makes Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Variety would be nice, but I haven't got that far along yet.

As for sleeping, that's easy. I got a tent this winter during one of REI's big sales, and a sleeping bag and sleeping pad at a later REI sale this spring/summer. Light weight, intended for backpacking, packs small. That part was easy.

For Trip Planinng, I think you can go either way. Heavy planning or winging it. People do it both ways, I've read, and I think it just kind of depends on what sort of person you are. I am not sure where I fall on this issue yet.

Any how, I'm off to day dream about the next trip. Ciao.

-Cota
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 12:29:05 AM »

since you came back I guess you're gonna want your underwear back...

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: