http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 11:07:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm going to Thailand to do tsunami relief work for 2 months  (Read 935 times)
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: April 28, 2005, 05:18:03 PM »

Hey everybody!  Some of you may know me from my near-lurking status around here.  I post sometimes, but truth be told, I've had little time for gaming, as a grad student.  

A fellow student, Alexis, and I are going to Khao Lak, Thailand for two months, do do tsunami rehabilitation and relief work.  While it fills a requirement for our degree, we're both really excited that we have the opportunity to help.  Anyhow, it's only partially funded through the school.  Therefore, we're trying to raise money to help support the trip.  Part of that effort is run through a website that we just set up:
http://www.twohelp.org

We're trying to be as transparent as possible about the trip.  While initial funds will go to cover our travel and living expenses for those two months, any amount above what we have budgeted will go directly, in its entirety, to the tsunami relief center in Khao Lak.  Of course, our time is worth $, too, so any support given to us is, in essence, given to the community.  Any 'corporate' sponsorship will put your logo on the web page.  

I certainly don't expect anybody to donate.  However, take a look at the site.  If you can chip in, that would be great.  If you can't, and you're interested in following along with out trip, then sign up for the email listserv, though which we'll keep in touch.  It should be a really fun and exciting time!  Thanks!

Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 07:37:58 PM »

Fantastic!  It's great to see your passion for helping out, the world could use more like you!

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 08:12:01 PM »

Quote from: "Enough"
Fantastic!  It's great to see your passion for helping out, the world could use more like you!

Thanks!  biggrin   I know it's going to be tough, but I'm really looking forward to the experience.  We'll be working 6 days a week.  I'm mainly going to be doing infrastructure and housing reconstruction, though if they need computer/web assistance, I'll do that, too.  They're in need of some English teachers for the Phang Nga area, in case any of you are looking for something to do this summer!

zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 09:03:58 PM »

Be interested to hear how the coast road north of Khao Lak is coming along, if you get a chance to post. Good luck!
dbt1949
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 09:29:58 PM »

You need to watch this before going.
 http://entertainment.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx?m=152560   :shock:

Ye Olde Farte
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 11:14:19 PM »

Yikes!  I'm not sure that I have ever even heard of that part of Tom Hanks' career.   :lol:

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 01:09:28 PM »

Wow!  Good luck and be safe!
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 09:25:50 PM »

Is that the movie where John Candy sings the Washington State fight song?  They show that at all of our football games here at WSU.  Just that clip of course.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: