http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 05:18:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm convinced Steve Martin is no longer funny  (Read 3273 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2004, 01:13:01 AM »

I just watched the trailer for his remake of The Pink Panther, and sat stone-faced while doing so. Following Cheaper By The Dozen and the other crap he's been shoveling lately, I'm convinced this once-hilarious comic has completely forgotten any meaning of the word "funny."

/weeps for the loss of a great comic

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 02:24:59 AM »

Yeah, family life seems to degrade many people.  Look at George Lucas.  I mean please, if you are going to lose your talent, please dont blame your kids for it.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 02:28:17 AM »

*blink*  I laughed myself silly during the trailer for Pink Panther.  And I liked Cheaper by the Dozen, but not because of him.  The kids were the hook there.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 02:36:44 AM »

he was funny?
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 02:37:51 AM »

The Jerk is comic genious!

To clarify myself, yes I am being serious. I love that movie.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 02:40:00 AM »

Nevermind his acting for a minute. The man wrote The Jerk, L.A. Story, and Bowfinger. Show some respect!

I think he's always funny, even in movies that are beneath him.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 03:08:00 AM »

I actually laughed at the trailer. *shrug*

Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 03:13:01 AM »

Read his novels.  They're pretty good.

http://www.compleatsteve.com/biblio.htm
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 03:49:41 AM »

Ummm he has'nt been funny since the early 80's at the latest.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 03:51:51 AM »

Quote from: "Kagath"
The Jerk is comic genious!

Whether intended saracastically or not, you are correct.

"And that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this. The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. And this. And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair."

Mother: Navin, it's your birthday, and it's time you knew. You're not our natural-born child.
Navin R. Johnson: I'm not? You mean I'm gonna STAY this color?

And, the greatest line after a funny as hell setup ever:

"He HATES THESE CANS!!!!"

:lol:

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 04:46:29 AM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
Nevermind his acting for a minute. The man wrote The Jerk, L.A. Story, and Bowfinger. Show some respect!

I think he's always funny, even in movies that are beneath him.

Explain "Looney Tunes: Back in Action."

/pwned

I will grant you "The Jerk" and "LA Story" as two classics (LA Story is one of my favorite romances) but "Bowfinger" was hit or miss. The whole Mind Head part being one of the bullseyes. biggrin

And I failed to laugh because I recall laughing hysterically at any and every Clouseau vs. Kato fight from the original series. Or the synchronizing of the watches in "A Shot in the Dark." Or the nudist colony. Or the drive back from the nudist colony. Or Clouseau breaking into the fortress of Dreyfuss. "That is not my dog."

Brilliance, all.

"That must have hurt." = Not so much.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 06:28:58 AM »

I hated the way Martin sounded in that trailer, and I found what the trailer showed to be fairly lackluster as far as comedy goes. I wish Steve was funny like he used to be.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2004, 06:39:27 AM »

Well,EXCUSE MEEEEEEEE!

Ye Olde Farte
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 08:00:43 AM »

Meh. Yet another remake that didn't need to be remade.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 01:56:45 PM »

I think he is still FUNNY.

But he has made some bad script choices.

He has gotten older, and less hungry I suppose.

But he is still great.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
rshetts
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2004, 02:38:35 PM »

The man's standup (decades ago) was brilliant!  He could be extremely funny without dropping the f-bomb every other word.  He has done alot of good work, but lately he's gone the family comedy route and seems really watered down.  I havent seen a trailer for the Pink Panther, but I doubt that taking on the role of Closeau would work for anyone.   Come on how can anybody come even close to Peter Sellers.  It aint gonna happen.  They may as well have cast Pauly Shore.  This is destined to fail.   PS  If you want to watch a very funny Martin movie that slips under the radar, check out All Of Me with Steve and Lily Tomlin.  Very funny stuff.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2004, 04:01:41 PM »

Quote from: "rshetts"
The man's standup (decades ago) was brilliant!  He could be extremely funny without dropping the f-bomb every other word.  He has done alot of good work, but lately he's gone the family comedy route and seems really watered down.

Amen. Steve Martin was my childhood hero. I remember having and 8-track tape of his comedy routine in the 1970's! I'd listen to it daily. I've always greatly admired Steve Martin, and still do, despite some recent movies he's done. He'll always be my favorite comedian.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2004, 04:44:27 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Quote from: "rshetts"
The man's standup (decades ago) was brilliant!  He could be extremely funny without dropping the f-bomb every other word.  He has done alot of good work, but lately he's gone the family comedy route and seems really watered down.

Amen. Steve Martin was my childhood hero. I remember having and 8-track tape of his comedy routine in the 1970's! I'd listen to it daily. I've always greatly admired Steve Martin, and still do, despite some recent movies he's done. He'll always be my favorite comedian.

I had the Steve Martin vinyl, the one with "Getting small." smile  I also got in trouble in elementary school for bringing in my 45 of "King Tut" and playing it on the class record player during free time.

I agree that I am puzzled by his movie choices the last several years.  I still need to see Spanish Prisoner though, I assume he was pretty good in that.  (I love Rebecca Pidgeon, swoon...)  And it looks like they are doing a movie of Shopgirl sometime soon, which could be good.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2004, 07:34:58 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Ummm he has'nt been funny since the early 80's at the latest.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles came out '87ish so you're off a couple of years at least.  That movie and his work before has pretty much given him a pass in my eyes to do whatever he wants.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2004, 07:42:59 PM »

The Spanish Prisoner was a great flick, but it wasn't a comedy. I'm just looking at his IMDB list, and I'd say his last good flick was Bowfinger in '99, and even that wasn't "classic" Steve Martin.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2004, 07:46:26 PM »

His writing is pretty consistently solid.  He's had a couple of New Yorker essays in the last couple of years  that have been unsafe to read while drinking.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2004, 10:07:17 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
The Spanish Prisoner was a great flick, but it wasn't a comedy. I'm just looking at his IMDB list, and I'd say his last good flick was Bowfinger in '99, and even that wasn't "classic" Steve Martin.

If anyone's interested, there was another serious drama that he was very good in, and that was Grand Canyon, with Kevin Kline and Danny Glover. I thought that was a great movie.
unbreakable
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2004, 01:23:23 AM »

Bowfinger was brilliant, IMO.  A nice move for both Steve Martin as well as Eddie Murphy, who also seems to be into making unfunnies.
solarisgax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2004, 03:09:43 AM »

is it because we are so used to their antics, their styles, and their comedic routines that they no longer surprise us?

it is also unfair to compare Martin with Sellers.  Sellers created that role and was brilliant at it.  Unless Martin recreated that role based on his own ideas, we will not think that Martin is funnier than Sellers.

however, if Martin did recreate the role, wouldn't we expect the good inspector to be like who we expected him to be?

in my opinion, we outgrow every single comedian; even the comedians themselves outgrow themselves.

i do admit that some of the old SNL bunch have not produced their best stuff in recent years, but they are still "good".
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2004, 03:32:49 AM »

I wouldnt say Ive outgrown Steve Martin, its just that he does stuff which isnt funny.  "Bowfinger" was Steve Martin being his old school type of funny.

I wouldnt chalk it up to the reason Chevy Chase isnt funny (no talent), its probably just either bad directing or an 'off' performance.  Heck, even Chevy's lack of talent can result in good movies with a good director- the Vacation movies are classics!
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2004, 07:46:56 AM »

Credit for Spanish Prisoner goes to David Mamet.

I do think Martin's acting has gotten a bit cliched, but his writing is top-notch.  I was in a production of "Picasso at the Lapin Agile" a stage play he wrote in 1999 (I played Elvis), and its brilliant.  He actually came to see the production and was very humble and gracious when I met him.

"The Cruel Shoes" is also pure genius.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2004, 05:04:56 PM »

Steve Martin's choice in scripts of late has been terrible. He's fallen into that Nice Guy Syndrome that killed my respect for Robin Williams. Way too much sentimentallity, way too clean. I hate family films, but I really hate to see people who I know can be great cynical comics lowering themselves to do family films.

He's still funny in every single other venue, from his essays to his novels to his hosting of the Oscars. In fact, he's the only decent Oscar host we've had this century. Chris Rock will suck. God, will he suck.

I'd like to see Martin play another grouch, another character who could go off on a tirade of profanity like his character in Planes, Trains & Automobiles. Stop being the sappy nice guy, Steve.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2004, 06:09:11 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Quote from: "Dafones"

If anyone's interested, there was another serious drama that he was very good in, and that was Grand Canyon, with Kevin Kline and Danny Glover. I thought that was a great movie.

Parenthood is one of my all time favorites as well.  Not a pure drama but a mix of comedy/drama.

morlac00 on PSN
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2004, 06:11:57 PM »

Parenthood is a classically well-written film. It was one of the key examples we used in my screenwriting courses to analyze proper cinematic storytelling. Great movie.

Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2004, 12:55:58 PM »

Hey now! Chevy Chase is funny in Caddyshack.

And my own personal dirty secret: I love Spies like us with Chase and Aykroyd. I watched that movie again and again when I was younger.

HELLO!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2004, 01:48:31 PM »

Spies Like Us rules. Great stuff there despite the weak ending. I never liked Parenthood, though I'm not sure why. It just struck me as overly phony in parts and trying like hell to be sincere in others. It makes the wife all weepy though, so what are ya gonna do? smile

Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2004, 11:27:39 PM »

Quote from: "Napoleon"
Hey now! Chevy Chase is funny in Caddyshack.

And my own personal dirty secret: I love Spies like us with Chase and Aykroyd. I watched that movie again and again when I was younger.

Some of us even own the DVD. :oops:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: