http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 09:29:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurry! Grab Opera (browser) for free! Today only!  (Read 1407 times)
dangerballs
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2005, 04:32:15 PM »

Today is the Opera browser's 10th anniversary and the company is giving away free registrations for the ad-free version.  You can register your email at this address (this works for you Linux freaks too)

http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml

and you get a free code to put in the browser you can download here:

http://www.opera.com/download/

The offer ends tonight at 12am.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 05:28:16 PM »

I was just going to post this.  Good find!

The registration site is getting hit pretty hard but I waited about 5-10 minutes and it worked for me.

Posting from Opera right now!  ninja
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 05:30:24 PM »

What's so special about Opera? Never heard of it.

Who reads these anyway?
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 05:43:44 PM »

Quote from: "Scuba-V"

It is one of the three big browsers held over from the 90s (IE, Netscape, and Opera).  It is known for being one of the fastest and most standards compatible browsers.  It was the first browser to have tabbed-browsing and customizable features among many other things.  While it has a pretty low market share right now, Opera has a following that borders on cultish.  There are two versions of Opera: a ad-driven one and a pay one.  Today, they are giving away the pay one.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 05:44:34 PM »

Quote from: "Scuba-V"

Before Firefox came out, it was the best browser.  Tabbed browsing and all that jazz.  Some people prefer it to Firefox, but the current Opera interface isn't my favorite cup of tea.
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 06:49:23 PM »

They would have to pay me money to switch from IE.  Better the devil I know and cannot uninstall than the devil I don't know which will become another attack vector.

Besides, I installed Opera on a test machine about four years ago, and it f#&@%ed that machine up bigtime.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 07:58:50 PM »

Ok-I did it-its a cool promotion, and I might use it from time to time. I am not a huge fan of Opera, but maybe that is from the version that had ads-it annoyed me. I will give this a try smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 08:38:10 PM »

I'll stick with the 'completely free from the beginning' Firefox, thank you very much. biggrin

Still, it's a cool thing to do for those Opera users out there.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 09:24:46 PM »

I like Opera, but it still gives me problems with certains sites like MLB.com and the drag down menus. frown

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 09:43:13 PM »

Woo hoo for Opera!  I've got mine paid for already.  Now if they would just release their java-based browser for cell phones.  It's free in their native country but not available here yet...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 11:57:43 PM »

Just DL'd and installed it. Figured why not? Besides, I keep expecting Zaxxon to pop in and scream about how all of us are living in fantasy land for not switching to Opera years ago. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 02:28:43 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Just DL'd and installed it. Figured why not? Besides, I keep expecting Zaxxon to pop in and scream about how all of us are living in fantasy land for not switching to Opera years ago. slywink

Yep, I was just thinking the same thing. Zaxxon has serious Opera love.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 03:48:16 AM »

i'm not sure how much i'll actually use Opera, but i installed it for now just to give it a shot.  the fact that you normally have to pay for an ad-free version of Opera was the reason i went with Firefox when i made the decision to get away from IE.  i've been very happy with Firefox for a while now, and it will take a lot to convince me it's worth switching again...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 09:27:09 AM »

I've been using Opera for a while now.  I like it best of all browsers but I've noticed something amusing.

When I first switched to Firefox(back when it was Firebird or something like that),  a bunch of sites worked with IE but not FF.  So I'd wind up using IE for the couple of websites that required it.

Since I switched to Opera, I've found that a few sites work fine with IE or FF but not with Opera.  So I wind up using FF for sites that Opera has trouble with, then using IE for sites that Opera AND FF have trouble with.

It's a crazy world I tell ya!
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 11:52:20 PM »

I used to use opera when I was looking for something other than IE.  I noticed some sites weren't loading properly (like gamespot) and some dropdown menus weren't working.

Other than that, I really liked it.  And then firefox came out and I switched over.
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2005, 03:04:06 AM »

If you like the enhancements (like tabbed browsing, mouse gestures), you can always check out Maxthon.  It uses IE as a base, so you aren't installing another browser.  Only one browser-based attack vector that way.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2005, 05:47:52 AM »

I like Opera.  It's my favorite web browser by far.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
warning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2005, 11:24:48 AM »

I used it for the last couple days and I'm going back to Firefox for my home browser.  There have been a couple of websites that react weirdly to Opera.

When I hit the tag buttons here on the forums (i.e. URL, etc) Opera places the cursor in front of the tag instead of behind it.

Netflix's site - when I click in the search box in Firefox the whole box empties so I can type my text in there.  In Opera it just places the cursor in the middle of "Movies, actors, etc" and I have to manually highlight the entire box and delete it before I can search.

GameFAQs - I never could get it to display correctly when I wanted to pull up a FAQ on Mario Golf Advance.  It was hidden by an ad and I couldn't figure out how to get rid of that.

That said, my work machine hangs on Firefox so I'll continue to use Opera there instead of IE.  It's miles ahead of IE.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005, 06:43:00 PM »

you can also use SlimBrowser which is another IE alternate shell like Maxthon.

I prefer its tabbed browsing to all others, and it's speedy.[/url]

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: