http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 07:39:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hulu Plus  (Read 1322 times)
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2010, 07:56:19 PM »

Hulu announced it's subscription package on it's site, though right now I think it's only in "invite to preview" stage.

What Hulu Plus get's you for $9.99 a month:
*Current Season Ticket - Watch every episode aired from the current season of top shows from ABC/NBC/Fox. 
*Rich Library Content - Catch up on every episode of every season from "many" of TV's greatest shows (120 seasons/2,000 episodes)
*Supported Devices - Iphone, Ipad, Ipod Touch, Samsung TVs & Blu-Ray Players, PS3 (comming soon possibly July), Xbox 360 (coming early 2011), Sony and Visio TVs and Blu-Ray (Fall 2010).

No word on how this affects the current setup, but I could see it being worth the $10 when the 360 is supported (or cave in and get an Ipad).

Just a little hiccup.
gangeli
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 08:06:22 PM »

still have to watch the ads though.  no thanks
rshetts2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 08:20:51 PM »

you can watch the Fox, NBC and ABC shows on the networks own sites, why would I want to pay for that?  On top of that you still have the ads?  No thanks!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 09:02:28 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on June 29, 2010, 08:20:51 PM

you can watch the Fox, NBC and ABC shows on the networks own sites, why would I want to pay for that?  On top of that you still have the ads?  No thanks!

A lot if times they only keep a few episodes up on the main sites, so if you want to go back to an earlier episode you may be out of luck.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 09:07:10 PM »

I can't imagine this being enough to hook people.  It seems like less value than you would expect, but I guess people pay $100 or more for cable so obviously people are willing to pay for TV with ads. 

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 09:53:21 PM »

To those saying "pay and still get ads? No thanks", do you have cable? If you do, then you're a hypocrite.

Sorry, it's the honest truth.

As for me, I'd gladly pay for this service to watch all those TV shows on my iPad. But when I downloaded the app, I saw that they seemingly neglected to add CC support, even though their site, Desktop app, and (apparently, based on the Guided Tour) other devices does.

Fail.
DOSHIGH
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 10:12:44 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on June 29, 2010, 09:53:21 PM

To those saying "pay and still get ads? No thanks", do you have cable? If you do, then you're a hypocrite.

Horrible comparison, cable offers way more per dollar than Hulu. Commercial free cable would cost a fortune.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 11:04:07 PM »

Quote from: DOSHIGH on June 29, 2010, 10:12:44 PM

Horrible comparison, cable offers way more per dollar than Hulu. Commercial free cable would cost a fortune.

You can get a ton of networks (hundreds, not 3) for just $30 with cable.  And for $10 more, I can skip the ads.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 11:30:53 PM »

If you sit in front of the TV all day, sure, I agree with you 100%.

But I don't, and like to watch when I want to and where I want to. Compared to iTunes, Hulu's $10 a month is a hell of a good deal.

Either way, I'm not going to pay Hulu anything because they didn't seem to put CC support in their iPad/iPhone app, so no worries, I'm with you (in a sense).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 11:37:54 PM »

my plan is this:  wait until the end of the season, sub for a month to watch all the shows (if there's anything I want to catch up on that is) and then cancel.

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 01:04:32 AM »

Nope, I do not have cable.  I watch HD over the air with an antenna and get a lot of stuff off the internet.  I deal with the ads because thats the cost of watching the stuff for free.  CeeKay, that sounds like a good plan there but youll be glued to hulu for a month so have a mini fridge with plenty o' beer near at hand!

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 01:15:58 AM »

I've never used Hulu, but isn't it free on the web?  If so, then that's why this is so stupid.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 01:54:27 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 30, 2010, 01:15:58 AM

I've never used Hulu, but isn't it free on the web?  If so, then that's why this is so stupid.

They only offer the 5 most recent episodes. That's the point of the "plus".

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 03:07:12 AM »

They'd also have to increase the image quality a lot before I'd be willing to pay for it. 

Recently, we wanted to catch up on this season of Glee.  Hulu only had five episodes, so I torrented all the earlier ones.  Some were HD, some weren't.  Every single one of them looked miles better than the later ones did off Hulu.  It was a huge difference, and if I thought I could've gotten away with it, I would've told the GF that we were going to wait a night or two while I pulled down the better versions.

Now, if they upped the quality to Netflix HD levels, I'd consider subbing.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 04:22:07 AM »

I am absolutely in on this.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 04:30:54 AM »

Just tried a preview of Hulu on the iPhone 4.  The quality looks really good over wifi.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 04:31:10 AM »

Not a chance.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 01:00:13 PM »

I don't watch enough network TV to make it worth the money.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 01:02:28 PM »

Fail.

With the advent of DVr's and on Demand I watch very little live TV.  When watching a recorded show I can skip commercials.   One thing I do watch live with commercials is sports.  Does Hulu have sports?  Can I skip to a different show when the commercials on Hulu are playing?  

morlac00 on PSN
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 06:05:48 PM »

Quote from: morlac on June 30, 2010, 01:02:28 PM

Fail.

With the advent of DVr's and on Demand I watch very little live TV.  When watching a recorded show I can skip commercials.   One thing I do watch live with commercials is sports.  Does Hulu have sports?  Can I skip to a different show when the commercials on Hulu are playing?  

Firstly, do you really have to edit my post and completely alter the meaning of the "fail"?

Secondly DVR isn't the same as on demand, and I've never seen a cable package that includes on demand.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 06:20:36 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on June 30, 2010, 06:05:48 PM

Secondly DVR isn't the same as on demand, and I've never seen a cable package that includes on demand.

U-Verse has a pretty good on-demand catalog.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 06:25:35 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on June 30, 2010, 06:20:36 PM

U-Verse has a pretty good on-demand catalog.

Pretty much every cable company has on-demand these days - Comcast, RCN, etc. Very surprised that you haven't seen a package that has one.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 07:35:24 PM »

Granted Cablevision is the monopoly around here so who knows, but the only on demand they offer, I have to pay per view. Like PPV but on demand.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 07:51:53 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on June 30, 2010, 07:35:24 PM

Granted Cablevision is the monopoly around here so who knows, but the only on demand they offer, I have to pay per view. Like PPV but on demand.

ugh.  That sucks.  My wife and I watched the entire run of The Tudors (seasons 1-4) on demand.  Same with Dexter and part of season 2 of True Blood.  Network TV is a little harder to find, though.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 10:23:15 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on June 30, 2010, 07:35:24 PM

I also have Cablevision, and they have free On Demand.  Not as vast as some other companies, but it's there, and it works fine.  There are a number of shows where I missed an episode and caught it there, or even caught up on full runs.

It could absolutely be better, however it exists.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 10:55:38 PM »

Quote from: morlac on June 30, 2010, 01:02:28 PM

Fail.

Firstly, do you really have to edit my post and completely alter the meaning of the "fail"?

Sorry I meant to edit out the fail part to.  I was trying to edit it down to the point above.  Your second point is way off mark as everyone offers on demand.  Most of it for free.  It includes....movies, tv. shows, concerts, etc.

edit:  I see you say your cable service does not have on demand?  That does indeed suck.  i would take the money you are willing to spend on hulu and get a different cable service. You should get some great bang for the buck.  ATT uverse has some awesome stuff free On Demand.  Wife and I are currently watching Weeds and the Tudors from season 1.  We just switched to them from Comcast who had better free movies but not as good overall imo. Plus switching cable service almost guarantees you a cheaper price.  We are saving about $100 month on phone, internet and cable.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 11:00:28 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 11:32:33 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 30, 2010, 10:23:15 PM

I also have Cablevision, and they have free On Demand.  Not as vast as some other companies, but it's there, and it works fine.  There are a number of shows where I missed an episode and caught it there, or even caught up on full runs.

Either I'm being screwed by the cable company (probably), or I'm too stupid to figure out how to get the (free) on-demand stuff. Mind telling me how/where to get it?
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 11:47:21 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on June 30, 2010, 11:32:33 PM

I also have Cablevision, and they have free On Demand.  Not as vast as some other companies, but it's there, and it works fine.  There are a number of shows where I missed an episode and caught it there, or even caught up on full runs.

Either I'm being screwed by the cable company (probably), or I'm too stupid to figure out how to get the (free) on-demand stuff. Mind telling me how/where to get it?

Call them up and cancel.  Watch the new offers fly in.  Seriously, When I canceled Comcast I got a nice offer to stay.  Then 3 days later  I got a phone call with an even nicer offer to stay.  The fact that  I had asked for a free DVR 3 months earlier and was told no "that offer is only for new customers" meant they had sealed their fate.  Comcast is panicking in our area.  Not sure what other offers you have but there is always satellite?  Or at least the threat of it.

morlac00 on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 03:05:59 AM »

Quote from: ravenvii on June 30, 2010, 11:32:33 PM

If you go into the Guide and under On Demand, you'll find stuff there, but it's scattered.  There's something like Primetime Shows (which only has NBC and ABC, sadly), but there's also Free Shows and other options in there that give you many more choices.

Again, it's not great, by any means, but it's there and it's free.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 06:52:25 PM »

saw they were offering a free 10 day trial o this so I figured I'd give it a spin and play around with it on the PS3 and PC.  On my PC it's nice and smooth,but the PS3 was another story, the video kept on stopping to buffer and the Hulu Plus app actually locked up the console twice, so I guess I'll be watching from my PC.  I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it past the 10 days; sure, it's only 8 bucks but there's not a lot of stuff on it.  most of the shows I want to catch up on don't have the full seasons, so it's not quite worth it.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 08:50:34 PM »

For those interested in watching Hulu on their PS3 or 360 I went the route of buying PlayOn and really like it.  It is basically a media server that you run on your PC that allows you access to anything that's available on Hulu, CBS.com, TBS.com, Comedy Central, Netflix, Amazon Video on Demand, and a bunch of other channels that I don't check out often or at all.  And it supports 360, PS3, Wii, iPhone, Andoid phone, Roku box, etc.

Before getting this I had dropped my cable but am still able to watch most things that I want to see.  Basically the way I use it is subscribing to shows I care about on Hulu (free), and supplementing that with other shows I like to check out on CBS, etc.  So every night when I come home there are a few shows waiting in my Hulu queue (assuming there was a new episode of a show I follow) or else I catch up on episodes on other channels.

The nice thing is that it is a fairly cheap one-time payment (for either one year or forever) and not a monthly subscription.  I think I paid $25 for one year with a promotion. The thing I didn't like about Hulu Plus is that you'd think it has all the shows that Hulu does plus others, but that's not really true.  There are some shows on normal Hulu that aren't available on Plus.

The PlayOn interface is pretty basic and leaves something to be desired (it's pretty much just folder searching), but it is generally quick and I can get to what I want without much trouble.  There is a free 14 day(?) free trial if it sounds interesting.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 09:57:32 PM »

If CBS would actually stream the shows I like (aka The Mentalist and Numbers), instead of every crappy reality show they can think of, PlayOn might be worth it.  I'll stick with hunting stuff down on the PC while being mad at CBS and FX for not streaming their good shows.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »

Yeah, if the network doesn't make their episodes available PlayOn isn't going to do you any good.  I'm not sure why they do that, but it is pretty annoying.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 11:52:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 20, 2011, 06:52:25 PM

saw they were offering a free 10 day trial o this so I figured I'd give it a spin and play around with it on the PS3 and PC.  On my PC it's nice and smooth,but the PS3 was another story, the video kept on stopping to buffer and the Hulu Plus app actually locked up the console twice, so I guess I'll be watching from my PC.  I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it past the 10 days; sure, it's only 8 bucks but there's not a lot of stuff on it.  most of the shows I want to catch up on don't have the full seasons, so it's not quite worth it.

I've had very good experiences with Hulu Plus on PS3.  Worked just as reliably as Netflix for me. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 12:11:15 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 20, 2011, 11:52:28 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 20, 2011, 06:52:25 PM

I've had very good experiences with Hulu Plus on PS3.  Worked just as reliably as Netflix for me. 

I'm coming to the conclusion my PS3 just doesn't like being online- I posted elsewhere about Netflix working horribly too.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »

hmmmm....  Apple considering Hulu purchase?

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2011, 05:05:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 22, 2011, 03:03:07 PM

Yeah so is Google, Yahoo and AT&T.    The owners of Hulu are highly motivated to sell, so Hulu will be under new management soon.  Whether that will be a good thing or a bad thing only time will tell.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2011, 04:52:28 AM »

Knowing my luck, it will probably be Comcast that buys them or something.  icon_mad  Either way, the number of ads on Hulu is quickly nearing that on network TV so the sheen is wearing off.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: