http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 04:43:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Huge 8.9 quake hits Japan  (Read 8560 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2011, 11:32:59 PM »

If it can't be found online, I'm pretty sure I saved the file so I could put it up somewhere.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2011, 06:46:37 AM »

Now non-japaneese governments have begun evacuating its citizens from Tokyo, due to the disaster. I really hope it doesnt come to this - if the japaneese citizens have to be evacuated as well, its going to be a massive undertaking.

This is one god-awful disaster

A new one
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2011, 04:34:13 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on March 15, 2011, 11:22:35 PM

Quote from: Purge on March 14, 2011, 07:19:18 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 13, 2011, 10:19:31 PM

holy fucking shit ground level view of the water plowing over a neighborhood.

A page ago. slywink

This link is dead, anyone have a new one for this?

I'd read that CNN purchased it and I've since watched them air excerpts from it on TV, so it should be somewhere on their site.

What's gotten to me most about this catastrophe on the home front, is the run on Potassium Iodine tablets. People all along the West Coast are panicking and hoarding them and causing pharmacies to sell out. Worrying and panicking about radiation from those nuclear reactors in this corner of the world is about the stupidest thing I've heard of in some time. Some of our fellow North Americans just don't seem capable of not panicking at the slightest thing  - they really need to get a brain and take a cue from the Japanese.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2011, 04:38:24 PM »

Sadly, I'm quite certain my mother will be sending me an email telling me I'd better stock up on these pills....and we both live in Midwestern states.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2011, 04:41:21 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 16, 2011, 04:38:24 PM

Sadly, I'm quite certain my mother will be sending me an email telling me I'd better stock up on these pills....and we both live in Midwestern states.

Lol, that's even worse.  icon_biggrin
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2011, 04:42:21 PM »

This is the video I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MR7u8xSr-8

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2011, 06:30:38 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 16, 2011, 04:34:13 PM

What's gotten to me most about this catastrophe on the home front, is the run on Potassium Iodine tablets. People all along the West Coast are panicking and hoarding them and causing pharmacies to sell out. Worrying and panicking about radiation from those nuclear reactors in this corner of the world is about the stupidest thing I've heard of in some time. Some of our fellow North Americans just don't seem capable of not panicking at the slightest thing  - they really need to get a brain and take a cue from the Japanese.

This is exactly what I'm seeing in my Arizona based pharmacy job. Frankly, people are stupid.

And for that matter, if a radioactive cloud travels 5 THOUSAND miles to affect us (we were bored at work and checked the distance from Phoenix Skyharbor Airport to Tokyo last night), we have FAR bigger problems to worry about.

You know, like the end of life on Earth as we know it.

And according to the same site, it's 3500 miles from Alaska and Hawaii (roughly) to Tokyo, Japan. And that's the closest US territory that I can think of. Still an astronomical distance.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2011, 06:53:33 PM »

Iodine and mre's. People are probably making a killing on those right now.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2011, 08:13:18 PM »

Not to mention that an unnecessary rush on Iodine tablets in many of the NA states/provinces closest to Japan, means there'll be little or no supply that can be quickly sent if they're required for emergency relief. The BC government is at least on record as having bought up a certain portion of the local supply for possible radiation aid in Japan - albeit it's not a very large portion. Just a though, but if you know someone who's hoarding it, try and convince them to donate some of it.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2011, 08:32:10 PM »

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2011, 08:55:31 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 16, 2011, 04:38:24 PM

My mother-in-law called my wife last night and told her to stock up on water and canned food "just in case, because you never know." And we live outside of Toronto.

Granted, my MIL is from Poland and lived there during the Chernobyl accident, but still.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2011, 09:00:01 PM »

And potassium iodide does nothing against Cesium-137.

Ale
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2011, 12:20:44 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 16, 2011, 08:13:18 PM

Not to mention that an unnecessary rush on Iodine tablets in many of the NA states/provinces closest to Japan, means there'll be little or no supply that can be quickly sent if they're required for emergency relief. The BC government is at least on record as having bought up a certain portion of the local supply for possible radiation aid in Japan - albeit it's not a very large portion. Just a though, but if you know someone who's hoarding it, try and convince them to donate some of it.

i would not worry about this.  I'm pretty sure the US military has few warehouses full of the stuff if need be.

morlac00 on PSN
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2011, 12:26:52 AM »

Quote from: Alefroth on March 16, 2011, 09:00:01 PM

And potassium iodide does nothing against Cesium-137.

Ale

True but it greatly reduces the threat of thyroid cancer from Iodine 131 which is also being released.  Tons of studies after Chernobyl showed a huge statistical difference between folks who got the pills and folks who didn't in regards to thyroid cancer. 

morlac00 on PSN
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2011, 01:57:07 AM »

A touching story about a couple of dogs who are victims of the tsunami. It's in Japanese but the translation is provided on the bottom of the webpage:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/dog-in-japan-stays-by-the-side-of-its-ailing-friend-in-the-rubble
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2011, 03:49:32 AM »

and even better if all these people start taking them now, just in case.  don't they know that it isn't a magic pill and should not be taken lightly? 

no no, better to be prepared against any possibility.  now, who wants to help start the rumor that godzilla has actually been spotted so we can get these hyper-reactive folks stocking up on my new anti-godzilla spray?

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2011, 04:15:39 AM »

This could actually be the way Godzilla is created.

Sweeeeet

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2011, 12:45:24 PM »

I'm really confused about the nuclear situation. Anyone else confused or just me? It feels like it's time to start panicking. Is it time? I kind of want to panic.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2011, 12:58:17 PM »

Quote from: Larraque on March 17, 2011, 12:45:24 PM

I'm really confused about the nuclear situation. Anyone else confused or just me? It feels like it's time to start panicking. Is it time? I kind of want to panic.

Don't Panic!  Also, where is your towel?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2011, 12:58:36 PM »

I work for a company that consults with utility companies and we have a nuclear division made up almost entirely of nuclear engineers and ex-navy nuclear sub folks.  the head of our nuclear division has been sending out daily updates from the NEI (Nuclear Energy Institute).  You can go to their site for updates on the situation in Japan.

That being said, I think there's currently a disconnect between the Japanese authorities and the NEI and other non-Japanese nuclear groups.  The NEI is reporting that reactor 4 is completely dry of cooling fluid (i.e.: VERY bad situation) while TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Company) is reporting that they still DO have cooling fluid in reactor 4.  Also, the US is advising our citizens to stay at least 50 miles away from the plants, while the Japanese authorities are advising their citizens to stay only 20 miles outside the perimeter.  My guess is that they're doing so to prevent widespread panic...but I think that's going to bite them in the ass soon.

Summary:  it's getting worse and worse by the hour.

edit:  as for panic, don't.  the only thing this will affect in the U.S. or anywhere else outside Japan is the economy.  areas outside the Pacific Rim are not going to suddenly be irradiated.   still, it's a horrible, horrible situation for the poor Japanese.   icon_frown
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:01:43 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2011, 01:01:18 PM »

The US head of the nuclear regulatory commission basically threw the Tokyo power company under the bus late yesterday.  Lot's half truths and misinformation out there.  Hard to separate fact from conjecture but I think it is safe to assume that the situation is at least slightly worse than the Japanese are letting on.

edit: too slow hepcat beat em to it.  I will add that the Japanese Gvt. seems to dependent on TEPCO at this point.  They are basically letting them run the show and appears they are getting all their info from them.  Not unlike BP and the big oil spill.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:06:09 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2011, 01:07:51 PM »

I just heard the next 24-48 hours is critical.

So I guess it really is heading in the wrong direction.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 02:05:33 PM by Zekester » Logged

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2011, 02:13:34 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 17, 2011, 12:58:36 PM

That being said, I think there's currently a disconnect between the Japanese authorities and the NEI and other non-Japanese nuclear groups.  The NEI is reporting that reactor 4 is completely dry of cooling fluid (i.e.: VERY bad situation) while TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Company) is reporting that they still DO have cooling fluid in reactor 4.  Also, the US is advising our citizens to stay at least 50 miles away from the plants, while the Japanese authorities are advising their citizens to stay only 20 miles outside the perimeter.  My guess is that they're doing so to prevent widespread panic...but I think that's going to bite them in the ass soon.

looks like they have a history of not being open when it comes to nuclear power.

In 1989 Sugaoka received an order that horrified him: edit out footage showing cracks in plant steam pipes in video being submitted to regulators. Sugaoka alerted his superiors in the Tokyo Electric Power Co., but nothing happened for years. He decided to go public in 2000. Three Tepco executives lost their jobs.

Because I can,
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2011, 02:32:15 PM »

Ok. So we're relatively safe state-side. What about japan. They're talking about a fifty mile radius (kind of large) but what happens to the japanese people who lived inside the exclusion zone? Is there any possibility of a larger scale incident?

I hear genuine concerns about radiation poisoning in Tokyo from CNN reporters, so I'm extremely worried about the people living there. I love the japanese culture and I'm so deeply saddened at what I'm seeing. I can't help but feel like I'm watching an empire fall.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2011, 02:42:41 PM »

Unfortunately, I think all bets are off when it comes to the situation in Japan.  Unless a miracle occurs in the race to cool those reactors, I fear this may end up being more tragic than Chernobyl.   icon_frown

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2011, 02:56:50 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 17, 2011, 12:58:17 PM

Don't Panic!  Also, where is your towel?

thumbsup

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2011, 07:50:38 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 17, 2011, 02:42:41 PM

Unfortunately, I think all bets are off when it comes to the situation in Japan.  Unless a miracle occurs in the race to cool those reactors, I fear this may end up being more tragic than Chernobyl.   icon_frown

it would take a major change in events for this to turn out as bad as the Chernobyl incident.  even if they lose control and containment of all the sites in Japan, the radiation released won't spread over nearly the same amount of populated land as occurred at Chernobyl.  in that case, there was a massive explosion and prolonged fire that blew radiation into the upper atmosphere, which was then carried by weather patterns over a massive area as it returned to the ground.  there shouldn't be anything happen in Japan at this point that would spread contamination as high into the atmosphere.  as a result, there may be severe damage done at the ground level, but it should occur over a smaller area and without as much spread into populated areas.  i'm not saying it's a good situation, but what is happening in Japan is not the same kind of problem.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2011, 10:10:53 PM »

I live in NJ and my wife keeps panicking over this.... I keep telling her to turn the news off, there is just about 0 chance of it affecting us.... I have also been having arguments with some friends who keep seeing the nuclear plant exploded and there has been nuclear explosions....

Still, very bad for Japan.... Anyone know if it's possible/likely for this to actually result in a nuclear explosion of some sort? I don't know enough about it... What's worst case?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: March 17, 2011, 10:43:51 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on March 17, 2011, 10:10:53 PM

Anyone know if it's possible/likely for this to actually result in a nuclear explosion of some sort? I don't know enough about it... What's worst case?

No, definitely not. It's actually rather difficult to make a nuclear bomb explode. The fissile material has to be the right size and shape to sustain a chain reaction, and it needs an explosive trigger designed to trigger one. Plus I think that bomb-grade uranium has to be enriched beyond power-grade, although I'm not positive about that.

I can't answer "worst case", but from what I've read even a total meltdown and complete loss of containment would be a major regional disaster at worst, confined to the 12-mile radius that Japan has evacuated (or the 50-mile radius that the US has warned American nationals about).

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 18, 2011, 03:11:05 PM »

Yup, no possibility whatsoever of this causing a nuclear explosion. On another note Japanese authorities have now upgraded the nuclear alert from 4 to 5, which in layman terms means a radioactive release or meltdown is imminent. Not looking good at all.

BTW anyway the title of this thread can be updated from "Huge 8.9 quake hits Japan" to "Huge 9.0 quake hits Japan"? There's so much incorrect information circulating that it would help a wee bit if the title at least stated the correct magnitude.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2011, 03:18:20 PM »

Yeah, I was surprised the other day when I heard that they had upgraded the quake from 8.9 to 9.0.  That's just horrific.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2011, 03:24:45 PM »

Yeah the ".1" increase may seem small, but because the Richter scale is logarithmic that's a significant increase in the order of magnitude.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2011, 04:02:03 PM »

262 aftershocks of 5.0 or greater have been recorded since the quake.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 18, 2011, 04:06:49 PM »

pop quiz hotshot:  you're in a car and about to be hit by a tsunami.  what do you do?

you record it on video of course.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 18, 2011, 04:15:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 18, 2011, 04:06:49 PM

pop quiz hotshot:  you're in a car and about to be hit by a tsunami.  what do you do?

I hereby nominate him for a Darwin Award. Did he survive?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 18, 2011, 04:17:36 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 18, 2011, 04:15:51 PM

I hereby nominate him for a Darwin Award. Did he survive?

I'm guessing he did, otherwise the video probably would have been lost.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: March 18, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 15, 2011, 04:10:27 PM

Richter Magnitude (approx)Approximate TNT
for Seismic Energy Yield
Joule equivalentExample
6.70168 kilotons708 TJNorthridge earthquake (California, USA), 1994 ($20B in damages)
7.00474 kilotons2.00 PJJava earthquake (Indonesia), 2009 Haiti earthquake, 2010   
8.3550 megatons210 PJTsar Bomba - Largest thermonuclear weapon ever tested
8.70168 megatons708 PJEruption of Krakatoa (Indonesia), 1883
9.00474 megatons2.00 EJLisbon earthquake (Portugal), All Saints Day, 1755

This is why my post went to 9.0 (that .1 is significant)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 18, 2011, 04:35:26 PM »

I'm not sure what else you could do in that case.  That wave came out of nowhere.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2011, 04:44:04 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on March 18, 2011, 04:35:26 PM

I'm not sure what else you could do in that case.  That wave came out of nowhere.

I'm wondering what kind of verhicle he was driving-  the camera is looks like it was mounted on something.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2011, 04:50:42 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 18, 2011, 04:29:11 PM

Quote from: Purge on March 15, 2011, 04:10:27 PM

Richter Magnitude (approx)Approximate TNT
for Seismic Energy Yield
Joule equivalentExample
6.70168 kilotons708 TJNorthridge earthquake (California, USA), 1994 ($20B in damages)
7.00474 kilotons2.00 PJJava earthquake (Indonesia), 2009 Haiti earthquake, 2010   
8.3550 megatons210 PJTsar Bomba - Largest thermonuclear weapon ever tested
8.70168 megatons708 PJEruption of Krakatoa (Indonesia), 1883
9.00474 megatons2.00 EJLisbon earthquake (Portugal), All Saints Day, 1755

This is why my post went to 9.0 (that .1 is significant)

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you measure the magnitude of a quake from the 1700s?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: