http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 01:00:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HP webOS! Pre 3! Veer! TouchPad!!!  (Read 3625 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2011, 07:45:02 AM »

Well I guess we've seen the price level at which these tablets go from a luxury toy to a must have item.  I hope this will have some affect on the next generation pricing.  I don't mind spending $399 for a console that I need to replace every 5 years but $399 for a tablet which gets obsoleted every year? Forget it.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2011, 09:43:14 AM »

I've been messing with mine for a while now. it's pretty slick, 99 is a great price imo. justintv and google music both work well. the web browser does leave a few things desired.

people have already started work on porting android over. so hopefully within 6 months this is a reality. I have no clue if it's possible, but I sure hope they do it cause this would be a steal of a tablet then. I'm glad I went and got one before the price drop. It sounds like best buy will be selling these on sunday though. if you're looking for a great priced tablet ,this is definitely it.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2011, 11:43:17 AM »

This is showing up at firesale prices on bestbuy.com this morning.  Anyone who still wants one might want to give it a shot there.  Just snagged the $99 version, myself.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2011, 03:28:49 PM »

Good luck finding one.  I was at Target this morning to get some canned air for my computer (by the way, when did they start carding for canned air???   icon_confused) and there was a line about 2 dozen deep in front of the store an hour before they were to open.  When I came out of the store a little later, they were down to 2 folks just lingering around waiting for the store to open for regular business.  When I asked what was up, one of the guys told me the others had been there for the touchpads, but they sold out literally 5 minutes after they came out to let folks in early for purchases. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2011, 04:49:22 PM »

bummer that I missed out on these.  there was a big thread on it over at CAG and the consensus is a ton of people are hoarding them as craigslist/ebay have exploded with people selling them for $100 under full price. 

i wasn't expecting best buy or amazon to clear them out after yesterday's mass dumpage and missed getting one there either.  oh well, guess I'll need to bite the bullet for an android tablet next year.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2011, 05:27:57 PM »

I went to Best Buy this morning about 10 minutes after they opened and asked the lady in the computer department if they had any Touchpads left. She said the customer service desk was helping people with Touchpads.
Went over the the customer service desk and saw what looked like a box for a Touchpad! (Turned out to be a Touchpad accessory in a similar box.) Feeling like I hit the jackpot I asked if they had any touchpads in and the lady said no, they only had 5 in this morning and there were about 30 people waiting in line an hour before they opened to get them!

Probably just going to give up looking, at least at the $99 discontinued price. I'm happy with my Android tablet (Dell Streak 7) does everything I need it to, streams movies, online gaming, web browsing, even text messaging. (I'm on a T-Mobile 4G plan with it.)
First tablet I've owned and so far so good.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2011, 06:43:45 PM »

me and the wife got the 32gb. i went to my bb at 9 and wife came at 930 after dropping kiddos off. think our store had about 30. so most of the people there at 10am opening got one. but they were gone as soon as the doors opened.

never would have gotten any tablet until prices come down so had to jump on these. even if i just use it to surf the web.

did waste time yesterday checking a few walmarts in the boonies so glad today was a successful hunt smile

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »

you guys should do this for some improvements:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-apps/289569-simple-steps-install-webosquickinstaller-preware-touchpad.html
install that. follow the instructions pretty easy.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/287848-my-hp-touchpad-seems-running-so-fast-2.html#post3027858
then add those.

if anything you can download adblocker. the preware also has a bunch of software too. i would get kalemsoft media player.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2011, 09:08:26 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 21, 2011, 07:45:02 AM

Well I guess we've seen the price level at which these tablets go from a luxury toy to a must have item.  I hope this will have some affect on the next generation pricing. 
I've been hearing from different people that there may not be too many generations of tablets coming... Sales overall have been slow.... Returns have been high at some stores I hear (mostly due to people not really understanding what the tablet is... many thought they were laptop replacements...)
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2011, 07:42:47 AM »

Well Apple seems to do the yearly thing. I would expect every other company to try to compete with that.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2011, 12:47:55 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on August 21, 2011, 09:08:26 PM

Quote from: Canuck on August 21, 2011, 07:45:02 AM

Well I guess we've seen the price level at which these tablets go from a luxury toy to a must have item.  I hope this will have some affect on the next generation pricing. 
I've been hearing from different people that there may not be too many generations of tablets coming... Sales overall have been slow.... Returns have been high at some stores I hear (mostly due to people not really understanding what the tablet is... many thought they were laptop replacements...)

I don't really agree.  Asus, Acer, HTC, Samsung, to name a few have a ton of next generation tablets coming.  Nvidia has a next gen chip optimized for tablets and the ipad isn't going anywhere. 

The Galaxy Tab has sold very well.

Wake up.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2011, 03:44:14 PM »

The thing with tablet sales reminds me of WoW's success. The iPad numbers so dwarf those of other individual tablet makers (as opposed to compiling all the Android OS tablets into one sales figure), that it warps the whole idea of what decent sales numbers are.

So WoW has umpteen million subscribers, and if some hot new MMO comes out and ultimately ends up with "only" 100,000 or 150,000 subscribers, is that then considered a "failure."? It's like grading on a curve where one person gets 99, and everyone else is getting 50, 40, 30. Are they bums cause they're not in the same vicinity as the No. 1? With tablets, I'd look at a single maker's manufacturing/marketing costs, how many tablets they're selling, and just see whether they're able to break even or turn a profit.

This PC World blogger kind of had the same thought I had earlier here:
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/238580/hp_touchpad_fire_sale_is_a_recipe_for_tablet_success.html
Sure, the TouchPad flew off the shelf and sold out almost instantly at $99, but that doesn't mean that tablet rivals have to race to the bottom to be the cheapest in order to sell. What would the point be anyway? It would be a losing proposition so there would be no reason to bother selling the tablets at all.

But, what the HP TouchPad fire sale demonstrated is that a tablet vendor can create a stampede by offering the device at $99. Samsung, HTC, Motorola, RIM, and other tablet vendors should be paying close attention to the whole TouchPad debacle, and see the opportunity it represents.

iPad 2 competitors don't have to cut prices permanently, but an initial push at $99 would work to get a tablet off the shelf and into the hands of hundreds of thousands of users. The vendor can take a short-term loss on the first couple hundred thousand units just to build a base and make a dent, then return to more normal pricing.
Too bad HP didn't think of that before they killed it...

Of course it's fair to ask whether temporary $99 pricing is a sucker's bet, as you'd have to take a humongous short-term financial beating to offer it, and investors/shareholders probably don't like that much. If one of these tablet-manufacturers is privately-owned though, it might be something they could stomach.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:46:12 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2011, 04:42:12 PM »

I guess I missed this but Best Buy changed its mind, joined the $99-$149 feeding frenzy (both in stores and online) at some point over the weekend, and promptly sold out sometime Sunday, with no plans to get any more inventory as they're presumably just glad to wash their hands of it:
http://www.precentral.net/best-buy-caves-will-sell-remaining-touchpad-stock-steep-discounts

If you just got one, Precentral has some tips:
So, you just bought an HP TouchPad? Here's what you need next...
http://www.precentral.net/new-touchpad-tips-apps-accessories

I was still seeing a lot of Touchpad accessories (case, Touchstone charger, screen protectors etc.) in those Office Depot stores I checked Saturday. So it might be worth checking them if you're interested in any of that stuff.

Although Office Depot lists it online now, clicking on it tells you it's not available for purchase at this time.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 04:45:40 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2011, 09:57:48 PM »

The Pre 3 is officially dead for the U.S. market.  And there's a price cut for the Euros:

In Europe it’s currently retailing for 349 euros ($505) in France and 299 pounds ($490) in the UK. But much like the fire sale for the HP TouchPad, the Pre 3 is set to get a tremendous discount. The unlocked version will go on sale for $75 unlocked, although exactly when the sale will kick off has not yet been confirmed.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2011, 03:19:26 AM »

I tried in vain to find a touchpad today but had no luck. Sold out everywhere. Got caught napping on this one frown
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2011, 04:17:17 AM »

You're SOL as are most of us who waited.

There's a possibility HP.com might sell them online again if they have any inventory over, but you can bet if you aren't online and ready to jump on it the second you see it go up it'll be too late.
Maybe we can partner up in teams of 2 or 3.. if I'm on and see it come up again, I'll order 2 or 3 (for myself and 2 other GT'ers) while they are up, then you just pay me back + shipping costs. (And vice versa.)
Anyone interested?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2011, 01:18:29 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on August 23, 2011, 04:17:17 AM

There's a possibility HP.com might sell them online again if they have any inventory over, but you can bet if you aren't online and ready to jump on it the second you see it go up it'll be too late.

Not true - http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/08/22/hp.fire.sale/index.html?iref=allsearch

quote: While the electronics giant has ceased production on the products, the "next batch" of TouchPads is being retrieved from a warehouse, Corcoran wrote. HP is seeing high demand for the bargain-priced tablets, which first retailed for $500 last month, and has struggled to keep its inventory alert system online.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2011, 02:20:41 PM »

Actually that sounds almost exactly like what I said.

I see no reason to believe that when they have them on their website again they won't be sold out almost immediately, just as was the case when they first went up at the $99 price. The demand is there that people were buying them up in batches.

Guess it was 'true' after all. 

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2011, 12:21:14 AM »

Yeah, I was on vacation and didn't even know about these until Monday.  I'm really scanning and trying to snag one but I'm not confident at this point.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2011, 02:36:33 AM »

BrynaAtHP is apparently the twitter feed to follow if you want the official word on when the remaining HP inventory is ready to be sold.   Good luck to everybody still looking!

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2011, 02:44:39 AM »

i did the preware patches and now happily running at 1.5ghz

ready somewhere (precentral?) that you can use playon to watch netflix through the touchpad browser. i redownloaded playon (had nabbed a basic license for cheap long ago before wii had netflix) and reset it up. seems to work OK so far.

also set up my box.net acct for the free 50gb of storage instead of just regular free 5gb (sign up from the touchpad to get it).

happy with my new toy so far.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2011, 03:08:17 AM »

Maybe we can partner up in teams of 2 or 3.. if I'm on and see it come up again, I'll order 2 or 3 (for myself and 2 other GT'ers) while they are up, then you just pay me back + shipping costs. (And vice versa.)
Anyone interested?

Im down for that.  If I get the chance Ill grab what ever I can and then let the people here at GT know.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Z-Corn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2011, 11:12:09 AM »

I'm going to snag another one for my wife.  After playing around with mine she wants one...
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2011, 01:51:22 PM »

Anyone interested?

I'm in, too.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2011, 02:43:38 PM »

I'm hoping for a tweet before the emails go out. Gmail has been slow as of late.

Here are Home and Office links to the product pages:

16GB
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=storefronts&landing=rts_tablet&category=16GB&lanAttr=Type&product_code=FB355UA%23ABA&catLevel=2

32GB
http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/product/product_detail/FB359UA%2523ABA

Can't say if watching them is worth it or not (they could change the links)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2011, 03:18:11 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on August 24, 2011, 01:51:22 PM

Anyone interested?

I'm in, too.
I share the sentiment it's highly unlikely I'll luck into any. But by all means I'd be game to get a couple and share. I did recall reading one of those places offering it only let you buy one of each model (16 and 32GB). I don't know if others will.

I have found it sort of enlightening that this has all given the Touchpad and HP the kind of publicity and sudden presence in various columns online that they couldn't so much as dream of before. The irony just kills me.  icon_neutral

In the end, it was more important to me Saturday to meet my friends for lunch and visit an ailing friend than buy a $99 dead tablet (I think if I'd have gone to an Office Depot at exactly 10 a.m., I might've snagged it). Although I did waste a lot of gas driving by three Office Depot stores before surrendering. If I'd known Best Buy had changed its mind and decided to join the fire sale, I would've driven by BBs too. That's what I get for not being more plugged in.  icon_redface
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 04:55:44 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2011, 08:57:12 PM »

They keep saying the best way to keep in-the-know re: availability is to sign up here;

http://www.hp.com/united-states/webos/us/en/tablet/touchpad-availability.html?jumpid=ex_r11694_go_touchpad-availability

And you'll get an email when it's back in stock.

If I or anyone here gets to some, we'll grab 3 or so and share it here.

They're going for more than that on eBay so even if we all ended up overbuying, we can sell the remaining on eBay. smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2011, 12:41:36 PM »

If you did snag one (or have long had one and just want some freebie apps), try to get in on free apps HP is offering regularly vis its HP Palm blog (another 6-pack planned in September):
http://blog.palm.com/palm/2011/08/6-pack.html
Got your App Catalog open? It’s time to click open your 6-Pack (if you’re reading this on your TouchPad, just click on the app title and enter the promo code indicated in parentheses below (following the publisher's name and regular price) when you check out:

Glimpse (Inglorious Apps, $5, injoj55410gavxv): Amp up your TouchPad multitasking to 11 using this customizable and addictive split-screen interface.
    Kung Fu Panda 2 Storybook (zuuka, $2.99, eotss76676jjzqr): Enjoy images and voices from Kung Fu Panda 2 right on your TouchPad.
    Big Boss (Fair Play Labs, $1.99, vfimk09918lngoz): Design your “ Big Boss Boss” – a gigantic monster – and attempt to defeat the brave heroes and powerful wizards of WackyLands.
    Sparkle HD (10tons Ltd., $4.99, pweuq32135vrbhx): Save Crowberry Woods in this TouchPad version of the popular desktop game.
    Camera for TouchPad (Keen Studios, $0.99, rijon62171nhvtu): Start snapping away, with options for managing your photos and using them with other TouchPad apps.
    Audubon Birds (Green Mountain Digital, $14.99, jjiox66488ddnik): This searchable digital field guide to North American birds offers stunning photography and thrilling (trilling?) bird songs.

And stay tuned for the next 6-Pack of apps (planned for early September).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2011, 12:47:56 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on August 24, 2011, 08:57:12 PM

They keep saying the best way to keep in-the-know re: availability is to sign up here;

http://www.hp.com/united-states/webos/us/en/tablet/touchpad-availability.html?jumpid=ex_r11694_go_touchpad-availability

And you'll get an email when it's back in stock.

If I or anyone here gets to some, we'll grab 3 or so and share it here.

They're going for more than that on eBay so even if we all ended up overbuying, we can sell the remaining on eBay. smile

That's my plan if I happen to run across some.. sell the extras at cost + shipping here.  If anyone finds some I will be more than willing to take one.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2011, 03:06:07 PM »

If anyone gets extras I would buy one in a heartbeat. If anyone has enough extras, I would buy 2 in a heartbeat.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2011, 03:21:32 PM »

Quote from: Crux on August 26, 2011, 03:06:07 PM

If anyone gets extras I would buy one in a heartbeat. If anyone has enough extras, I would buy 2 in a heartbeat.
What's your heartbeat rate? Mine tends to run a little fast - I need more exercise.  icon_razz

I signed up for the notification list but I'm a little unclear whether that's to signify HP will sell it from its web site or that it will restock retailers that want to keep offering it (BB not being one of those, it seems).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2011, 12:30:54 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 26, 2011, 03:21:32 PM

What's your heartbeat rate? Mine tends to run a little fast - I need more exercise.  icon_razz

Resting is usually around 50 biggrin Not sure what does to my chances of snagging a touchpad though! Maybe I should speed it up.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2011, 05:10:07 PM »

E-mail update:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in the HP TouchPad and webOS. The overwhelming demand for this product in recent days has made it difficult to fulfill your request at the present time, and we are working to make more available as soon as possible. While we do not yet have specific details, we know it will be at least a few weeks before we have a limited quantity available again. We will keep you informed as we have more specifics that we can communicate, and we encourage you to join the conversation here for the latest information.

In light of this and other recent HP news, we want you to know that we remain committed to you. We will continue to honor our warranties now and in the future. We will continue delivering products that make a difference in your life and we will continue to provide the best possible service to you every day.
They also include a code for 25% off printers, ink, HP accessories, and PCs starting at or above $599 through tomorrow at HP's site.

Touchpad FAQs page:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/go/touchpadfaqs?jobnum=em_r329_hhos_5986&aoid=82293
There they are less committal about getting any more back in stock.

If they had some sort of sane reservation system for getting one, I'd still be game, but this whole thing started to remind me too much of Cabbage Patch doll (pick your fad or insane price discount story du jour) insanity. icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2011, 11:00:51 PM »

Watch them pull a "Limit one per customer" fast one on us if they get any back in stock.

I can't watch 24/7 but I'll plan on buying four (if allowed) two for myself and then the other two I'll sell on here for what I paid plus shipping if I happen to be online the moment they go up. Maybe we can give CK a master phone list so he can mass text us when they go up.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2011, 03:12:54 PM »

I chatted on Steam with an old bud from another forum last night. He indicated he bought the TouchPad at full price some time ago, and was just credited the price difference by HP. Obviously, he's ecstatic about that, but disappointed about HP's abandoning the platform.

There still seems to be hope for users to carry forward with WebOS "homebrew" stuff, and these various user projects to turn it into an Android OS tablet.

btw, I've read "Typewriter" is an excellent word processing app for TouchPad. Check it out and let us know.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2011, 03:15:54 PM »

Bobehm and I picked one up this morning from abc warehouse. They were limiting one per person and handed out coupons as we stood in line. (bob waited an hour, I got there 20 minutes later). They said each of their stores were getting 13 units.

Impressions coming soon, if it sucks ill just throw android on it ...

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2011, 07:45:54 PM »

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-apps/290298-machinarium-webos.html

You can save swf games to the touchpad and play them from there. Not sure how it works with all games. Guess the control method determines if it works or not.

I've been looking for a zinterpreter (interactive fiction) for webos unsuccessfully but used the method above to get Parchment (https://github.com/curiousdannii/parchment) working on my touchpad. So now I can play infocom games on it. Works good so far, except save/restore only works during the current play window. So if the browser is shut the save is lost.

Once its usb installed to touchpad just type: file:///media/internal/ParchmentIF/index.html?story=file:///media/internal/ParchmentIF/stories/hitchhik.z5 (can save to launcher after typing it)

I might try some other flash z interpreters to see if they work better.

EDIT: Think webos has a tendency to cut the url when Parchment tries to save. If after saving I click on the URL to verify its got some ending (lots of random text), it seems I can save a bookmark that works as save. If the text is missing I hit refresh page and it seems to show up. So far it works. Have 3 seperate bookmarks at different parts of story.

Edit2: Edited one of the parchment html files so I have a web launcher to different infocom games smile
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 03:08:42 AM by Creepy_Smell » Logged

Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2011, 08:23:23 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on August 30, 2011, 11:00:51 PM

Watch them pull a "Limit one per customer" fast one on us if they get any back in stock.

I can't watch 24/7 but I'll plan on buying four (if allowed) two for myself and then the other two I'll sell on here for what I paid plus shipping if I happen to be online the moment they go up. Maybe we can give CK a master phone list so he can mass text us when they go up.

In the FAQ here they make it clear there will be order limits if it comes back in stock. It doesn't specify what those limits are, but I would expect 1 or 2 per physical address.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2011, 08:25:50 PM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on September 01, 2011, 03:15:54 PM

ill just throw android on it ...

Well, not yet anyway....
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2011, 01:16:38 AM »

I managed to snag two 32 gb models for my wife and myself. So far I love it. I like WebOS a lot more than iOS. Especially like the web browser much more than Safari. It is a real shame the platform is dead.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: