http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 10:13:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How was your mother's day?  (Read 270 times)
naednek
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2013, 03:12:40 PM »

Mine started off good.  Took the family to the Big Tree State Park, and walked under the mighty redwoods.  Came home and received a call from my dad stating that he's taking my mom to the ER, she can't remember the last 3 weeks.    eek eek eek eek eek

Around 4:30 this morning she started regaining her memory.  I spoke to her this morning and she's sounds very tired, but she remembers most of the last three weeks.  Doing tests to find out what's going on
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 03:47:01 PM »

Yikes...hope everything turns out OK.

My mothers day crashed and burned when my 4-year-old said to my wife during lunch on Saturday, "Mommy, are you excited to get your iPad?" (she was with me when I bought it).  It got worse when Mrs. Gratch replied "I don't want an iPad".  So her Mother's Day gift consisted of a card and me telling her to pick out what camera she wants and I'll go and buy it.

Who doesn't want an iPad?   icon_confused  So much for my cool big gift. 

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 04:24:39 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 13, 2013, 03:47:01 PM

Me! I won't take it off your hands. Sorry.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 04:28:57 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on May 13, 2013, 04:24:39 PM

Quote from: Gratch on May 13, 2013, 03:47:01 PM

Me! I won't take it off your hands. Sorry.

yeah, you never know where he may have been hiding it....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 04:31:50 PM »

Not to make light of it, but I'm going to make light of it:

I'm reading John Dies at the End and there's a part in there about losing memory after fighting the spawns of hell.

Perhaps your mom is a demon hunter and has been battling the minions of Satan and it got so intense she blacked out.

Ask her about soy sauce.

And I hope she gets better soon.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 04:33:25 PM »

Yikes.  

We had a good day that turned to shit in the last minutes.

Gifts were a hodge podge but included a work-out bag that she was even more excited to get than I expected and PJs in her favorite color, along with a "Keep Calm and Don't Blink" t-shirt that had her more giddy than I imagined, too.

Nice game of lacrosse.  Mom's coaching and daughter is playing.  Though she's a little half-assed about it.  Part of the problem is that they've neutered the game of it at this level (no score, no checking, mumbled chant at the end of every game about how the score doesn't matter and we think the other team is neat).  Another issue, though, is that my daughter's depth perception is a little off.  She went to very expensive vision therapy to correct this.  Watching her try to get a ball today, I asked when she last did her VT workout that she's meant to continue twice weekly.  She told me she'd done it that morning.  This is where the seed of the horrible ending was planted.

Great brunch at a "bohemian French" cafe.  Wife and I both had bacon-fat fried french toast with a fried egg and bacon.  Plus a glass of sparkling rose followed by a glass of wine.  And dessert.  Good stuff.

Watched the finale of Doctor Who series six which almost catches our daughter up to where we are.  Just the first half of seven (and a couple of Jenna Louise-Coleman episodes) to go.  

Just before the end, my iPhone reminded me that my daughter is supposed to do VT practice the next day.  I mention this.  My wife asks when she last did it.  I said she told me this morning.  It quickly becomes apparent that this was a bold-faced lie.

So I had to go into cold parent mode.  My wife talks about how important (not to mention expensive) VT was and that if she doesn't practice, it was all a waste.  To me, though, the much bigger issue is that she could lie so flatly to my face about something that would have had little impact if she'd told the truth (frankly, it's also our responsibility to remind her and make sure she does it, and we would have just had her do it that evening anyway).  I tell her I'm furious (which I am) and disappointed.  We were going to watch another Who, but she goes to bed instead.  I do not go in to kiss her immediately, which causes no end of heaving tears.  She comes in to apologize and hug me multiple times, but for me to respond by kissing her goodnight would have sent the wrong message.  Of course, I do kiss her right before she has to sleep, but with the message that all is not smoothed over and though I love her, I'm still disappointed and angry.

Hell of a downer for an otherwise great day.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 04:50:50 PM »

I don't get my wife anything for Mother's day. She returns the favor on Father's Day.

Its Mother's day, not our wedding anniversary. To which we celebrate happily every year(28 years now)

Took Mom to an all you can eat Chinese Food joint. Would you like some chicken with that MSG. sir?

Fun day, Mom was blessed, wife was blessed by the kids............Got home, watched the finale of Survivor.

Cochrane....My all time favorite player now.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 05:13:58 PM »

early diagnosis global transient amnesia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_global_amnesia

Transient global amnesia (TGA) is a syndrome in clinical neurology whose key defining characteristic is a temporary but almost total disruption of short-term memory with a range of problems accessing older memories. A person in a state of TGA exhibits no other signs of impaired cognitive functioning but recalls only the last few moments of consciousness plus deeply encoded facts of the individualís past, such as his or her own name.

I think it directly relates to this

If the definition of a precipitating event is widened to include events days or weeks earlier, and to take in emotionally stressful burdens such as money worries, attending a funeral or exhaustion due to overwork or unusual childcare responsibilities, a large majority, over 80%, of TGA attacks are said to correlate with precipitating events.[8]

There's some stressful stuff going on with her dad.  And my mom obsesses over everything

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: