http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 10:42:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to use AIM on the web without visiting AIM.com?  (Read 2666 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: November 19, 2004, 06:36:47 PM »

I've been a lazy bum here at work over the last few months, and I've been visiting AOL.com and clicking on the idiot button to use AIM on the web (as I'm behind a firewall and that keeps Trillian and anything else I usually use from working).

Well, yesterday, AOL decided to change the AOL.com front page, and now instead you have to visit aim.com to access the 'bring up AIM on the web' feature.

Only one problem - aim.com is a blocked website.

So, in order to continue my lazy practices here at work, I need some way to either punch around/through my firewall (not likely), or I need some kind of link I can simply click on (or some sort of Javascript code like AOL used before).

Does anybody have any suggestions/tips?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 06:48:06 PM »

Have you tried downloading the most recent version of Netscape and using their built in AIM?  That's what I did.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 07:01:31 PM »

Gush uses a proxy and gateways so you can communicate with AIM, MSN and Yahoo networks. Unless they block the jabber network which it runs on.

LiveTAG: happydog
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 07:33:16 PM »

Quote from: "happydog"
Gush uses a proxy and gateways so you can communicate with AIM, MSN and Yahoo networks. Unless they block the jabber network which it runs on.

The whole problem is that I access the internet via a firewall somewhere down the line (requires a user/pass to access), and as thus, most software programs simply won't accept the commands to bypass it.

That's why I liked AIM on the web - it was completely contained in the browser window. Nothing to download.

I'll give it a try, as well as Netscape's thingy. I haven't used Netscape in, well, a very long time. biggrin

To be exact, I have to type this in under the 'Automatic Configuration URL' field in Firefox:
http://barneyweb.kroger.com/proxy.pac

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 08:35:36 AM »

If you just need the client, I personally use Miranda IM.  It lets you connect to AIM, MSN, ICQ, IRC (although I couldnt get the IRC to work right), and I know Yahoo was in the works, so they may have that in there now.

There are also a lot of fans of GAIM, but I havent used it.
Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 09:11:51 AM »

I use trillian myself...

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 01:11:37 PM »

As I said though - I need a browser based solution, as most software packages (I've tried Trillian and now Gush) just can't seem to get around the firewall we have up at work. Either I don't know how to configure the thing properly, or the funky way our firewall works (requiring that link I provided before) just outright stops it.

I'll give Netscape a try (had to download all the files here at home though, as once again, I couldn't get around the firewall), and I found out that MSN.com has their own web based chat service as well.

Wish me luck, as I want to be lazy. smile

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 07:40:49 PM »

Here is the instructions for setting up Gush to use their proxy.

LiveTAG: happydog
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 12:27:42 AM »

Quote from: "happydog"
Here is the instructions for setting up Gush to use their proxy.

Yeah, I saw that link and gave it a whirl, but I must be technically unsavy as I couldn't get it to work.

I'll beat on it more once I get a chance to at work though. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Stupid AOL.

Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2004, 04:25:02 AM »

We have the same problem at work.  MSN is supposed to be working on a wholly browser-based solution.  If anyone finds another of these, please let me know. COmpanies are getting super-picky about IM stuff, given all the legal stuff and potential for misuse.

Rhino

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2004, 04:57:33 AM »

Ask and Ye shall receive:

http://webmessenger.msn.com/

Yeah!

Rhino

Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2004, 04:07:54 PM »

More Web Messenger results:

ACK!  Still blocked for me.  Damn my company's hard line.  Hopefully it will be more useful for you.  It completely replicates messenger, running through a browser, with seperate conversation windows, etc.  All pop up blocking software must be turned off for it to work, including that built into IE/SP2,  Tools|pop up blocker.

Good luck.

Rhino

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2004, 08:22:49 PM »

Yeah, I found the webmessenger site when I was browsing around before. It's better than nothing, but that's not saying much.

I just don't get this though. I pulled the full version of Netscape, which has AIM included, but while I can connect to the web with it, it won't use the same configuration protocols that the AIM feature uses.

IE/Firefox/Netscape under the Proxies tab has an 'Automatic proxy configuration URL' field, which accepts my proxy info (single line, just paste in).

AIM on the other hand, under the Netscape download, requires a slew of proxy info, including Host, Port, Username/Password, and what Protocol type I'm using. Why can't it just use the one line that the browser itself needs in order to connect to the 'net?

I simply don't have all that info, nor do I have any idea what the hell it really is. Anybody have any suggestions?

Impervious
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 12:39:10 AM »

All you need to do is put the ip of your proxy in that host field, then simply select http as your method.  (or some variation of http).  Port should be the same port you used before I think 55.  The usename/pass is not required so you don't need to worry about that.  Good luck fighting the man!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: