http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 11:29:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get an estimate on baseball cards?  (Read 1935 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2004, 03:57:31 AM »

An honest estimate would be more like it.  
Here's the situation, i have what i would say is several hundred or near a thousand baseball cards i'd like to get rid of.  I know i could find a local collector to look at them, but is there a way to know how honest someone would be and for me not to get ripped off?  I was a semi serious collector in the late 80's and remember buying some specific cards to add to my collection.  Therefore i gotta believe i have a decent amount of $$ in this collection i'd like to maybe cash in on.  I also have some old football cards, ie. late 70's 80's, i'm thinking might be worth something.
All in all i think i have some money in these i don't want to get ripped off over.  Is anyone here a serious collector that can help me out or have some advice on where to get some help?  If you do, shoot me an email at [email protected].

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 04:27:54 AM »

In all honesty, go get a Beckett guide for both baseball and football. Check out the values given in the guide, and then evaluate each of your cards using their guides. If all of your cards are in really good condition you can probably ask for about 25 to 40% of their listed value in Beckett. Don't expect to be able to sell them to a dealer for more and you'll find it tough to get a serious collector to pay much more than that, but you never know.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 04:33:37 AM »

ya i was hoping not to have to do that since i got hundreds.  most if not all are in excellent to mint condition.  i just don't have the patience to go card to card if i didn't have to.
thanks  Tongue

Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 11:00:01 AM »

XMann there's a continuum here:

time/effort/cash........................................ease of disposal

If you spend the time to go through the collection, sort stuff out, organize it, determine the condition of items which are your top sellers, and do something like list it on eBay or talk to collectors at shows, etc, then you'll make a decent return.

If, on the other hand, you want to get rid of them and don't want to spend however much time going through it, then selling it as a lot on eBay or to a dealer will be fast.

If you want to dump the whole thing, I'd call a dealer or two and see if they have interest - or visit the store if there's one near you. Show him a list of what you have and bring some representative samples and/or the highlights and ask if he's intrested in looking it over. Some might be some might not be.

I have heard of dealers who go to people's houses to buy collections, though those are probably thousands of dollars worth of cards. One stipulation I heard of was that the collector had to buy the whole lot - he couldn't pick and choose what he wanted. So he bought the valuable ones and tons of late 80s early 90s mass produced crap - for that stuff probably at .02 on the dollar - but the guy who originally owned the collection was happy, he got rid of his cards and got some cash for it.

If you got a couple of estimates for the lot then you could decide if it's worth it to you to deal with splitting the collection up. You get more from selling items individually or in small lots but some of the stuff won't sell at all probably. Plus it's more of a hassle. It really depends on your collection size and value.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 01:24:28 PM »

ya i think i'll just buy a guide and just go card by card and realize it's gonna take awhile to get it done and then see a collector.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 06:55:44 PM »

If you have ALOT of valuable cards it might be worth it for ya to get a booth at a trade show.  It takes time but you will get much better prices then selling to the local card shop.  MUCH better prices smile

morlac00 on PSN
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 07:36:59 PM »

How does a trade show compare to ebay?  I ask because my dad collected thousands of cards (we're talking multiple sets of *every* sport card put out between 85 and 98 ), and they're currently sitting in the basement gathering dust.  My mom wants to sell them, but we can't decide on the best method.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 09:04:05 PM »

Not sure...never Ebayed.

morlac00 on PSN
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 10:07:09 PM »

It costs money to get a booth, and you'll need a business license. I worked with my Uncle who had a collectibles side business and there's NO money in it.

Laner,
I would recommend cataloging your cards, take pictures of them in large lots and sell them off in a lot. You might not get as much but it'd be worth it considering the amount of cards you're talking about.

You wouldn't believe what kind of value your Dad's cards may pull, but you have to decide what you want to sell them for and what the market will bear.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 11:13:29 PM »

so Tebunker you would suggest sell in a lot on ebay instead of individually?

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 11:15:43 PM »

Hmm not sure on the buisness licesne but yes there will be a booth fee.  I know I didnt have a license when I sold my comics at one many moons ago.  A package deal will defintly save you some time and headache.  I'd suggest keeping some of the best cards though an selling them individully.

morlac00 on PSN
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 02:06:51 AM »

actually Xmann, it didn't sound like you had nearly as many as Laner, I tried to address both of you guys separately.

Depending on the amount of and type of cards you have Xmann, you, from the sounds of things, should price stuff out for each card.

Laner on the other hand sounds as if his Dad built sets of cards and created doubles and even triples. When you have these mass collections like this it's actually more beneficial to the seller to keep a complete set as that almost allways overvalues the individual cards.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: