http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 07:05:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How the fork do I put an .mp3 onto my Razr?  (Read 1176 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2006, 09:12:04 AM »

Yeah, so, I have this 2-second .mp3 of the ring that the phones in CTU offices make (yes, I am obsessed with 24), and I want to know, how in the hell do I put it on my cell phone?  I have a Razr, and my computer doesn't have bluetooth.  Isn't there any sort of web-service where you upload the .mp3 and it sends it to you in a text message or anything?

And I would use my voice record function, but the volume is super, SUPER low on my Razr.  I was at a concert a week ago and tried recording some songs, and they're so faint you can't hear it.  A music concert.  What the hell!  So, I would go THAT route, but the sound quality (even if I were able to get a good volume level) would probably suffer as opposed to putting the actual file on the phone.

Anyone have any experience with this?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 10:34:37 AM »

Motorola has a set of programs called "Mobile phone tools" that lets you transfer stuff to your phone like ringtones. They sell it on their site (you'll need a usb data cable) or you can probably find a version on the net. This site is reputable (if slow) for getting the cd/cable cheap

https://www.axshop.com/details.aspx/sku-413/

Check out http://www.howardforums.com too for info on ringtones/software stuff.

Also, heres the 24 ringtone site:

http://www.ccir.ed.ac.uk/~jad/ringtone.html

biggrin
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 12:43:55 PM »

What's weird is I can't even find the driver for my Razr.  Without that, Windows doesn't recognize it and won't charge it from my USB cable.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 03:48:05 PM »

For what it's worth, I grabbed a data cable and Mobile Phone Tools package for my Moto V551 off of Ebay for around twenty bucks. It lets me manage my media, like ringtones, with ease. (Frankly, I think shit like that should be standard in this day and age, but I degress.) I use a free program called Audacity to grab sections from .mp3s that I can cut and fade to work with my phone as ringtones.

My ring always rules. In fact, it's about time I came up with a new one ...

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 05:05:43 PM »

On my phone, a Motorola V600, I just connect it to a PC using Bluetooth and drag MP3s onto it.

Cost of bluetooth adapter for PC: ~$20.

No reason to bother with a USB cable and a special (non-free) program.  Unless your phone is artificially crippled to not play MP3s directly, which is very likely the case frown

I do have one friend who can put files on his phone the same way I do, but it   won't play "MP3s" as ringtones.  However, if he simply renames them to .mid instead of .mp3, they play fine.  I don't remember what kind of phone that was.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 06:22:44 PM »

Wow, thanks for all the great information everyone!  Talk about some instant feedback   :o

TheMissingLink on PSN
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 11:47:35 PM »

I have experience.  I sent you a PM.  It's easy.

Actually, I could probably make the ringtone for you and send it to you as an SMS message.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 12:02:11 AM »

AS OF THIS MOMENT I have the CTU ringer on my cell phone.

Flippin' SWEET!!

I declare February 21st, 2006, Stiffler Day!  Thanks a lot, buddy!

TheMissingLink on PSN
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 12:08:32 AM »

Glad I could help. smile

Enjoy it.

Bleep bleep BLEEP bleeeep.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 12:10:02 AM »

Quote from: "tiny ogre"
On my phone, a Motorola V600, I just connect it to a PC using Bluetooth and drag MP3s onto it.

Cost of bluetooth adapter for PC: ~$20.

I have a V710 and my PC will only recognize the phone as a dial-up networking adapter via bluetooth. frown

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 12:22:28 AM »

That actually shouldnt be all that much different, since a DUN connection is handled in Win 2000/XP just like any other network connection.  You could probably even map a network drive to it.

But IMO such a setup is a failing for the design of the device.  Technology works best when it doesnt require the user to know all the tech operating on the device.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 12:26:48 AM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
I have a V710 and my PC will only recognize the phone as a dial-up networking adapter via bluetooth. frown

Mine shows up as a "Motorola USB Modem" when I connect it to my PC with a USB cable.  Are you sure you are using the right drivers?

tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 12:44:18 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
That actually shouldnt be all that much different, since a DUN connection is handled in Win 2000/XP just like any other network connection.  You could probably even map a network drive to it.

But IMO such a setup is a failing for the design of the device.  Technology works best when it doesnt require the user to know all the tech operating on the device.

It's actually quite a bit different.  If the device doesn't support file transfer over bluetooth, you're not going to be able to transfer files to or from it that way.  Cell phones do not generally provide networked drives.  They either provide a Bluetooth file transfer service, or they don't.

Evil vendors and manufacturers disable features like that on purpose even though the device could support it, to try and force you to buy their $3 ringtones.
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 01:04:44 AM »

But if it's using DUN, that is a standard network connection (Windows 2000/XP makes no distiction between DUN or any other network connection.  If it uses Windows Networking, that is how it works).

Now if it required some kind of network app, that would be a different matter, which is why DSL providers try to force you into using PPPoE software, or what ever other proprietary schemes there are (like the Bluetooth issue).

But using DUN is a good thing.  Or can be, anyway.
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 01:19:02 AM »

But if it's using DUN, that is a standard network connection (Windows 2000/XP makes no distiction between DUN or any other network connection.  If it uses Windows Networking, that is how it works).

Now if it required some kind of network app, that would be a different matter, which is why DSL providers try to force you into using PPPoE software, or what ever other proprietary schemes there are (like the Bluetooth issue).

But using DUN is a good thing.  Or can be, anyway.

Establishing a network connection is one thing, using that network connection to transfer files is another.  There is no network share provided by the cell phone.  You may indeed have a standard network connection to the phone, but that does not automatically mean you have a way to transfer files to and from it.

The whole point of this thread is how to get files onto a cellphone so that it can use them as ringtones, not how to use it as a network access point.

What you're saying is like saying that since your modem uses DUN, you should be able to transfer files to your modem.  It doesn't even make sense.
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 02:47:36 AM »

No, it makes sense, but I misunderstood the reason why it was a DUN connection.  For some reason it didnt occur to me that the connection could be there for internet access.  Yes, stupid oversight, but there ya go.

Anyway, most of these problems are why I'm holding out for a Treo which will have Wifi built in.  They already have an MP3 player, and it will even use SD cards.  A co-worker has one, and you can get headphones with a control on it which will manage the songs without using the Treo screen; very nice.  It also allows you to use an MP3 for your ringtone.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 03:11:56 AM »

Ah, I forgot this thing could connect my laptop to the Internet in a pinch.  I bet those transfer speeds are scary slow.  Either that or the CPU in the phone is just so slow at rendering that it makes it seem that way.

Back to the topic at hand.  I don't know about your phone, coopasonic, but mine can transfer files via Bluetooth.  I think you still need the Motorola PhoneTools or a similar app to do so, though.  There are some freeware tools but I can't recall what they are called.

There are also tools to unlock all the features of your phone but you're on your own with those.  Let's just say I'm happy I no longer have the Cingular logo on my phone when it is open among other things. :wink:

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 02:22:05 PM »

You guys have my attention.  I have a Motorola V551 and service with Cingular.  I would love to be able to add my own MP3s to use as ringtones.

So can someone give me  a blow by blow to o this.   I am getting a Bluetooth UBS port for my PC friday.  What else do I need

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 06:26:01 PM »

a V551 has very similar functionality to the RAZR - you can just upload the MP3s via Bluetooth.
unbreakable
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 12:58:59 AM »

I'm trying not to use anything Bluetooth, since it causes interferance with 802.11 signals (they use the same bandwidth, 2.4 GHz).  Compounding the problem is that Bluetooth does a LOT of broadcasting.

Having said that, however, those REALLY sweet Bluetooth wireless headsets are trying to pull me over to the darkside.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 05:18:31 PM »

If anyone needs RAZR software, PM me. I also have the standard windows driver for it so that the MINI USB cable recognizes it (and then will also charge your phone off that cable).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 05:33:52 PM »

I'm trying not to use anything Bluetooth, since it causes interferance with 802.11 signals (they use the same bandwidth, 2.4 GHz).  Compounding the problem is that Bluetooth does a LOT of broadcasting.

Having said that, however, those REALLY sweet Bluetooth wireless headsets are trying to pull me over to the darkside.

I use a bluetooth mouse right next to my 802.11b/g router and my wife's 802.11b laptop and my 2.4GHz wireless phone all in the same room and have no problems with interference.

Quote from: "stiffler"
Back to the topic at hand. I don't know about your phone, coopasonic, but mine can transfer files via Bluetooth. I think you still need the Motorola PhoneTools or a similar app to do so, though. There are some freeware tools but I can't recall what they are called.

I was specifically responsing to TOs post about transferring files via BlueTooth, not with a USB cable. I haven't gone for the USB cable yet, it's not worth the money to me since I almost always have my phone on vibrate.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 06:37:34 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"

I use a bluetooth mouse right next to my 802.11b/g router and my wife's 802.11b laptop and my 2.4GHz wireless phone all in the same room and have no problems with interference.

I play WoW using a Bluetooth headset for Teamspeak on a computer with a wireles 802.11g connection.  Occasionally I'll even have a torrent going at the same time.  No problems to speak of.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: