http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 09:10:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you have a smartphone?
Yes - 39 (72.2%)
No, but I plan on getting one - 5 (9.3%)
No - 10 (18.5%)
Total Voters: 54

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many of you have a smartphone?  (Read 1894 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2009, 05:44:57 AM »

Just reading on the news that cell phone sales of the last quarter are way down compared to last year but smartphones are actually performing quite strongly compared to the previous year.  I can certainly see the appeal.  I wish I could combine my PDA with my current cellphone.  Oh and to be honest I don't actually know the definition of "smart"phone but I was thinking of the latest Palm's, Blackberry's, Iphone, HTC's offerings, etc.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 12:48:06 PM »

The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. my iPhone.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 01:40:06 PM »

I have an iPhone, and it constantly bugs the snot out of me.  My next phone when my contract expires is likely to be the newer version of the Google phone.

I can say that I wound up with a smart phone because I hardly ever call anyone, and it made more sense to me to spend $55 a month and get all the smartphone capability instead of paying $45 a month to get just voice communication that I hardly ever used.

Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 03:24:08 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 05, 2009, 01:40:06 PM

I have an iPhone, and it constantly bugs the snot out of me.  My next phone when my contract expires is likely to be the newer version of the Google phone.

I can say that I wound up with a smart phone because I hardly ever call anyone, and it made more sense to me to spend $55 a month and get all the smartphone capability instead of paying $45 a month to get just voice communication that I hardly ever used.

I hate google.  I hate the company, and I hate their opaque evil business practices that go by unnoticed while the googlebots chant "we do no evil."

I do love my iPhone though.  smile
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 03:25:56 PM »

Quote from: Geezer on February 05, 2009, 03:24:08 PM

I hate google.  I hate the company, and I hate their opaque evil business practices that go by unnoticed while the googlebots chant "we do no evil."

What he said.

I do love Gmail though.

gellar
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 03:31:05 PM »

Another iPhone lover here.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 03:34:17 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 05, 2009, 12:48:06 PM

I The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. his iPhone too as well as my own.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 03:45:20 PM »

iPhone 3G here

Quote from: Canuck on February 05, 2009, 05:44:57 AM

I wish I could combine my PDA with my current cellphone. 

Duct tape.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 04:00:12 PM »

Quote from: Geezer on February 05, 2009, 03:24:08 PM

I much prefer Google to Apple's snarky, elitist, overpriced cult following and snarky, elitist and outright deceitful marketing.  Google, though fast becoming a behemoth to rival Microsoft, at least makes a multitude of applications that work well and have features that are actually useful to me.  Obviously they're evil, but so is every other corporate entity.  Their brand of evil is simply more directly beneficial to me.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 04:08:35 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 05, 2009, 04:00:12 PM

I much prefer Google to Apple's snarky, elitist, overpriced cult following and snarky, elitist and outright deceitful marketing.  Google, though fast becoming a behemoth to rival Microsoft, at least makes a multitude of applications that work well and have features that are actually useful to me.  Obviously they're evil, but so is every other corporate entity.  Their brand of evil is simply more directly beneficial to me.

Sorry, I hadn't realized that Apple had raped your mother.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 04:17:13 PM »

I have the AT&T Tilt (WinMo 6.1) and I'm to the point of wanting to toss it from a 10-story building.  I loved the first one I had (WinMo 6), but I broke the touchscreen, so they keep sending me other refurb pieces of shit, and WinMo 6.1 has some really annoying bugs that 6 didn't.

I'm going to be calling AT&T again soon and asking for a new fucking phone.  I wonder if I can talk my way into getting an iPhone?  (Fuck you, Mike...I haven't caved... Tongue)
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 04:26:54 PM »

I still cling to my years-old Motorola Razr. Before I had a cell phone, many many years ago, I thought, "bah it's just a cell phone and I don't talk to many people, it won't make a difference." Then I got a cell phone. And for a while it was good. But then my company started calling me. My Grand Rapids office called me to talk about the puppies happening in my Detroit office. My Atlanta office called me to ask me where the stuff from Grand Rapids was. Lots and lots of calls started happening and I discovered this cell phone thing was actually a leash to the company from which I could no longer part.

So I'm afraid that if I upgrade to a smart phone something similar will happen and it will double or triple my workload somehow.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »

We use Windows Mobile phones at work and I've been pretty happy with them so far.  From a support standpoint, I don't have to do much with them.  Just enable them at the Exchange server and off my folks go.  I personally use a Motorola Q (9c).  While I still have folks that complain they want a Blackberry, we haven't decided to support them yet.  I do have a user with an iphone that works great with my Exchange server, though.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 05:30:05 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on February 05, 2009, 04:17:13 PM

I have the AT&T Tilt (WinMo 6.1) and I'm to the point of wanting to toss it from a 10-story building.  I loved the first one I had (WinMo 6), but I broke the touchscreen, so they keep sending me other refurb pieces of shit, and WinMo 6.1 has some really annoying bugs that 6 didn't.

I'm going to be calling AT&T again soon and asking for a new fucking phone.  I wonder if I can talk my way into getting an iPhone?  (Fuck you, Mike...I haven't caved... Tongue)

That's ok, I'll continue to laugh while you jump from piece of shit to piece of shit.

And yes, iphone here- and I LOVE it.  most useful mobile device I have ever owned.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 05:32:35 PM »

iPhone here also. Although the Palm Pre does look great.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 05:37:09 PM »

love my   The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.   iphone 3G

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 05:38:05 PM »

I had a Treo 650 (palm) before I had my Treo 750 (windows). We have an exchange server and it really is nice having the mobile version of outlook.

My contract is now up, and while I am an Apple fanboy, I am reluctant to get an iPhone until they make one with a keyboard (which may be never). I'm curious about the Pre, but really, since work will most likely not chip in for the phone this go-round, I'm not sure I'm going to want to drop $500+ on a phone. That is the one thing the iPhone would have going for it - if they bump up to 32GB I would be willing to buy it because I'd get a replacement for my old 20GB iPod along with the phone.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 05:42:35 PM »

This is a post from my blackberry storm. I was berryless for about 4 months.  Never again.

- shaggy

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 09:38:30 PM »

I have a Motorola Q 9c like  hepcat, and I'm pretty happy with it.  I do like having a full keyboard on my phone.  It makes it easier for sending messages to me.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 09:43:07 PM »

I have both a G1 (Tmobile) and an iPhone 3g (ATT Network).  Pros and cons to both of them, let me tell ya smile

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 10:47:14 PM »

I'm still using a Nokia brick (well, 2004, by today's standards). I don't text message. I don't have a Bluetooth set in my ear and talk to myself all day. I read a inky newspaper at lunch, I don't glaze over in front of my netbook/laptop/iPhone over my soup.

So I'm hopeless.  crybaby

I am hoping to get a Palm Pre, but only if the price is not completely out of orbit. And Palm better hurry up before Sprint lays off all its employees.  paranoid

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 05:13:55 AM »

Blackberry Curve.  Best phone I've ever owned.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 07:30:14 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 05, 2009, 12:48:06 PM

you hug your companion cube iphone?

also google>poop on a stick>poop>white plastic company

oh damn, im late to the apple hate already. oh well, cant be said enough imo.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 09:10:07 AM »

iPhone.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 04:34:40 PM »

iPhone

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 05:28:22 PM »

I am seriously debating that once this phone dies or the 2 years are up that I'll switch to a blackberry or a palm pre if they get reviewed well and there is a GSM version.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 05:32:34 PM »

More or less happy owner of a Sprint Mogul (PPC 6800) over here (used to own a Treo 650). Or at least I am now that I've completely replaced the front end of Windows Mobile into something that's a lot more touch friendly.

I am seriously eying the Palm Pre however...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 07:24:53 PM »

i've been on the verge of a smartphone for a while...just holding out to see if the Palm Pre is worth a buy now...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2009, 08:55:39 PM »

BB Pearl 8120. Love it.

GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 09:06:23 PM »

Been a Blackberry guy for a while and am currently using the Storm.  Could never go back to a phone with less functionality.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 09:15:04 PM »

I drop my cell phone, on average, once a day.

That is why I do not own a smart phone.

TheMissingLink on PSN
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 09:26:06 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 10, 2009, 09:15:04 PM

I drop my cell phone, on average, once a day.

That is why I do not own a smart phone.

Maybe you should keep your hands out of the lube jar.

motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2009, 01:17:59 AM »

G1 here.
I tend to get the non popular gadget, have a Zune as well.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2009, 01:33:50 AM »

Quote from: motodd on February 11, 2009, 01:17:59 AM

G1 here.
I tend to get the non popular gadget, have a Zune as well.

I hate to admit it, but that's part of the reason that I'm planning on switching away from the iPhone when my contract comes up.  Especially living in a city, especially working where I do, I'm constantly surrounded by people with iPhones.  Part of me wants to wear a t-shirt that says "I'm using an iPhone, but I'm not in love with it."  I hate being part of the herd.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2009, 01:49:44 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 11, 2009, 01:33:50 AM

I hate to admit it, but that's part of the reason that I'm planning on switching away from the iPhone when my contract comes up.  Especially living in a city, especially working where I do, I'm constantly surrounded by people with iPhones.  Part of me wants to wear a t-shirt that says "I'm using an iPhone, but I'm not in love with it."  I hate being part of the herd.

But by not being part of the herd, you're being part of the herd that doesn't want to be part of the herd.  Seriously, though, if you like something, it's kind of dumb to stop using it because other people like it.  If video games became super popular, would you stop playing?

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 03:03:06 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 11, 2009, 01:49:44 AM

Quote from: Chaz on February 11, 2009, 01:33:50 AM

But by not being part of the herd, you're being part of the herd that doesn't want to be part of the herd.  Seriously, though, if you like something, it's kind of dumb to stop using it because other people like it.  If video games became super popular, would you stop playing?

Well, maybe I like the other herd better.  Tongue

Really though, the thing is that I don't particularly love it.  I don't hate it, but I'm not convinced that there's nothing better out there. 

Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 12:37:49 PM »

Have a HTC Touch Dual- it's a great phone but sometimes I'd rather just have my old Nokia back. Windows Mobile is slow, and the touch-screen is no way near as good as an iPhone (or my NDS actually). The problem with WM is that they want it to look like desktop Windows (they have Windows CE for that).

But I have to use it since I use it for my work (develop apps for WM/PPC) and I don't want to carry around 2 phones.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2009, 04:37:46 PM »

I have an iPhone and like it ok...it's not loud enough and I hate having to slide to answer the damn thing.

Just ordered an HTC Fuze because I want to test mesh out on it and see how viable it is to control my work desktop on it in emergencies.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2009, 03:33:40 AM »

I have... Skype.  No cell phone no land line.  I pay $3 a month and can call any phone in the world unlimited for no added expense.  Phones are silly.  nod
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: