http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 11:52:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many jobs do you have?  (Read 1709 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2009, 01:17:06 PM »

In chatting with a group of friends last night, they all seemed shocked that both Mrs. Gratch and I worked two jobs (one full-time and one part-time).  All four of them said they've never worked more than one job at a time, and thought it was very strange that we were doing so.  In looking back, I don't remember a time since I graduated from college 13 years ago that either me or the missus haven't worked at least two jobs, sometimes three.    Granted, I've never made a ton of money at any of these jobs, so maybe I'm just so used to it by now that it seems like the norm.  Just curious if it's really all that uncommon.

How many jobs do you guys work?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 01:59:01 PM »

One.  Prior to getting my job at FedEx I had some times of working 2 jobs but not anymore.  My wife works one job as well.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 02:17:41 PM »

just one.  9 hours of despising people per day is enough for me.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 02:48:04 PM »

Just one.  Forty hours a week away from my family is already far more than enough to ask.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 02:51:22 PM »

In college I had as many as 3 jobs at a time if you count Army Reserve duty, but since I've never had more than one. I couldn't imagine adding a part time job on top of what I already do unless it was something I truly enjoyed. I know one person at work that worked a part-time job for a while because she was bored. Single woman splitting custody of a teenager. I could see if I was alone doing that, but not with a family.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 03:06:58 PM »

Huh, maybe it is pretty out of the ordinary.  I really enjoy my part-time gig (graphic design and video editing for a college sports recruiting company) and have been working with them for going on 12 years now, so I can't imagine quitting.  I'll admit that having Saturday's off would be kind of nice, but I'm so used to 60-70 hour work weeks at this point that when I do less than that, I feel like I'm slacking off.  smile

Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 03:46:48 PM »

0 going on 7 months now  crybaby
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 03:51:38 PM »

The only way I'd pick up a second job is if I find myself in the position where I'm struggling to buy food for my family. With my three hour daily commute, I'm out of the house 11 hours a day from M-F. That's enough.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 04:48:30 PM »

I work one job, but usually 50+ hours per week (sometimes much more if we're crunching). 

I did two jobs for a few months to save up some money when I took a year off from college, but doing both night and day shifts got really old really quick.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 04:57:08 PM »

I work two.  I teach high school full time, and I do computer programming on the side.  The CP is not intensive, usually only 5 hours or so a week.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 05:00:11 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on October 17, 2009, 03:51:38 PM

The only way I'd pick up a second job is if I find myself in the position where I'm struggling to buy food for my family. With my three hour daily commute, I'm out of the house 11 hours a day from M-F. That's enough.

3 hour commute?  Fuck.  That.   icon_eek

My full-time gig is usually 7-5 on weekdays, then I typically work 6-8 hours on Saturday and maybe 1-2 nights (3-4 hours) during the week doing the part-time stuff. 

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 05:02:30 PM »

Only one.  My terms of employment actually expressely do not allow me to have a second job (not that I'd want or need one anyways).
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 05:13:31 PM »

Its interesting that people find it to be a positive trait to work much or for longer hours... I'd guess its all down to what yo personally get out of life as quality time - for me, thats the time spent with my loved ones - work is something I do to contribute enough to society to get food and luxury items

oh, and I have 1 job (just lost one, got the other one 1 week after), thank god...

A new one
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 05:21:35 PM »

Quote from: Goldchamp on October 17, 2009, 03:46:48 PM

14 months for me

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 05:26:58 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 17, 2009, 05:13:31 PM

Its interesting that people find it to be a positive trait to work much or for longer hours... I'd guess its all down to what yo personally get out of life as quality time - for me, thats the time spent with my loved ones - work is something I do to contribute enough to society to get food and luxury items

oh, and I have 1 job (just lost one, got the other one 1 week after), thank god...

Certainly if I could work 30 hours a week at my job and get paid the same I'd do it!  That is just not the reality of jobs in the industry, unfortunately.

I have heard that Europeans tend to work less hours per week.  Is that your experience in Denmark?  I'm assuming if it is the norm then it isn't looked down upon by your corporate overlords like it may be in the US.  I think we do tend to feel pressure -- whether real, implied or imagined -- to sacrifice our personal lives to give more time to work.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 05:28:47 PM »

Just one but I do the work of three people.  Someone told me yesterday it’s my own fault for knowing how to do so many different things in my industry.  Sometimes I think I would be happier if I was incompetent.   icon_confused
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 05:30:55 PM »

Oh, I actually didnt know so...we have in general a 37 hour work week here in denmark, and unions make sure that you WILL get overtime if you stay longer than that. Normally, that means 40 hours, since we then pay for our lunchbreak ourselves. A few years back it was all the rage to work long hours, hey I did it myself, 60 hours a week, but no longer. Now the thing most people value is their spare time. Of course, if you are some sort of management or executive position, there will be longer hours possibly, but in general most people here work those 40 hours.

We also tend to get paid per month, and not per hour, unless you are a craftsman..eh, carpenter and so on - no idea what that is called in english. That means you arent as likely to stay those extra 10-20 hours, since you wont get anymore money out of it.

Generally, its frowned upon by an employee to ask for more than 40 hours a week, and there has to be special circumstances if this is to be allowed

A new one
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 05:40:17 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 17, 2009, 05:13:31 PM

For the record, I don't think it's necessarily a positive thing to work so much - it's simply the nature of the beast.  As a commission sales person, you do whatever work is needed to hit your numbers.  Sometimes that equates to 40 hours a week, but more often it's closer to 50+.   My bosses don't particularly care how much or how little I work to hit my quotas, they just care whether or not I hit it.

The second job used to be for "play money", but now I do it in order to try and pay down the massive debt we incurred from our IVF procedure.   The extra $600-700 I bring in every month makes a big difference.  Plus, I (usually) enjoy the work and can basically set my own schedule, so it's not a huge deal to put in a few extra hours. smile

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 06:37:32 PM »

One job, working for my own company. But I have four titles in my incorporation papers: President, CEO, Treasurer, Secretary. I spend about half of my time on those functions and half as a shipper/receiver. Most of the year I work 30-35 hours a week, then rise to as much as 60 during November and December.

I had as many as four jobs at once in high school and college, but haven't worked multiple jobs since then.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 06:42:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 17, 2009, 02:17:41 PM

Ditto this for myself.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 08:04:05 PM »

I've had a couple of times in my life that I've held 2 jobs at the same time but after doing that for a few months straight, it was really hard on me mentally and physically, so I stopped doing that.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 09:58:55 PM »

Just one, but for my regular job history of 13 years, four of those, I was in school full time, three of those were salaried management (which means I couldn't just punch out at the end of the day), and 3.5 of those have been in a programming capacity, where you are likely to have late nights and occasional weekend work (like right now). 

The times where I could punch the clock were all night shift work, so there was no way I could get a part time job after I got off and trying to do a part time job where I had to get up even earlier would not have worked out well.  Since it would be the "second" job, my loyalty and willingness to get up early would have been severely lacking.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 10:12:38 PM »

Was out of work for 2.5 months, managed to get a part-time seasonal job starting tomorrow, hoping to hear from the university for a full-time overnight job.  <shrug> I've worked up to 4 jobs at once in the past, don't enjoy it that much.  At the moment I have to work as much as possible to get caught back up on my student loans/car maintenance/etc.  Of course I've never made all that much money either.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 10:15:45 PM »

Just one thankfully. Though I keep doing grad school off and on part-time and that's enough extra stress/work when I'm doing it. Same for the wife.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 03:18:55 AM »

After I graduated college, I had three jobs going, but they tended to be seasonal so it was rare when I was working more than two of them at a time.  Only working one these days thankfully.  I make some extra cash here and there playing with a local cover band, but I don't consider that a job per se.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 05:25:56 AM »

My wife teaches part time at a small college. She does contract writing and editing for 3 clients. Officially, she's unemployed. So how many jobs is that?

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 06:11:58 AM »

One.  But I work 10-14 hours a day M-F and usually a good half-day on the weekends.  It's something I thought I'd never do, it's not sustainable, but for now my job rocks as I'm learning tons and am digging the challenge.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 06:47:34 AM »

I was a bit surprised at how many people work only one job, but I really shouldn't be, because I actually can't think of any friends/ family/ acquaintances that work more than one job right now.  They might want some extra work, but maybe there aren't enough "little jobs" to go around due to the economy (?)

I have exactly zero jobs right now.  In my past work history I was always working at only one job at any given time, but most of the jobs I had involved plenty of overtime, both voluntary and involuntary.  One week might be 40 hours, but a few days might end up 36 hours in a row, so very unpredictable - but still only one job, one employer. 

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 08:26:22 AM »

Quote from: Goldchamp on October 17, 2009, 03:46:48 PM

Whoa, for some odd reason I thought you had another job already frown

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 04:07:56 PM »

When I was first starting out after college I worked two jobs. At one point I was working close to 80 hours per week.
Once my salary grew due to having experience and promotions I no longer needed to do that.

It is very telling though. We went from a society where a family could live on one salary 50s and 60s to a society where people have to work two jobs to make ends meet.
I know there will be people that chime in with a different experience, but most families can not survive on one income.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 05:25:27 PM »

Only one for me but my wife teaches full-time at one college and part-time at another.

Come to think of it, I like the fact that I work less than she does.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 06:43:22 PM »

Anecdotal: Pretty much every one at the Borders I'm working at has more than one job.  Of course several of them are just working at Borders for the holiday season.

I can't stand large corporations and don't have any particularly marketable skills unfortunately so I am resigned to fact that I'll be working low end jobs, and probably more than one for the rest of my life.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
KC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2009, 07:28:56 PM »

One paying job. Being a good husband and raising two girls sometimes feels like a job, but I think that you were referring to jobs in the traditional sense.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2009, 07:43:35 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on October 18, 2009, 04:07:56 PM

I know there will be people that chime in with a different experience, but most families can not survive on one income.

This is a very diverse group, so there are people on both ends of the spectrum. We have 1.5 incomes in my household supporting myself, wife and 2 kids in daycare (ouch). I'm pretty sure we could survive on my income alone, but we wouldn't be able to have as much fun or be able to be the consumer whores that we are. Personally I kinda wish my wife would go back to work full-time as with a second kid things are getting a wee bit tight with her working part time.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2009, 08:19:04 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on October 17, 2009, 06:42:10 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 17, 2009, 02:17:41 PM

Ditto this for myself.

Same, but mine is no more than 8 hours a day (short of Saturdays, where I work 9 because we're open that long - huzzah for OT each and every week because of that).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 03:20:31 AM »

I generally had two jobs in college. One summer I worked two jobs averaging about 74 hours a week between the two of them all summer. Never again.

right now I work 48 hours a week. Technically I am salaried, but that is what our managers are asked to work, also we have non-salaried managers who can get overtime. it's stupid and convoluted. The perks are that I make my own schedule, do outside sales calls, and have a pretty flexible working environment. If I am not feeling while being the office, I'll grab my keys or an outside rep and go make calls and feel productive.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 05:55:17 AM »

Someone had to do it...
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 06:09:38 AM »

I basically have two part time jobs-both teaching English.  Fortunately the combined salaries and my fairly spartan lifestyle allow me to live relatively without money worries.  Oh and I only work about 26-30 hours per week.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2009, 09:33:58 AM »

i was able to work two part-time jobs with little effort, but once i was promoted in one of them to full-time, i had to quit the PT one a few months later... too much commuting.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2009, 11:50:22 AM »

I'm like Peter from Office Space, I hate my job.

Work the typical 40 hour work week and then usually once a week I get held over on a double shift (always my saturday) about 2 minutes prior to shift change.

Working one job at a prison for violent sex offenders is enough for me.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: