http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 12:52:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long can you stay conscious after being decapitated?  (Read 2957 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2006, 05:13:26 PM »

This is a seriously creepy article over at Damn Interesting on the subject of how long someone can remain conscious after being decapitated.  They report the story of a guy named Languille who was executed by beheading in 1905 and the following eye-witness account by a doctor:

Here, then, is what I was able to note immediately after the decapitation: the eyelids and lips of the guillotined man worked in irregularly rhythmic contractions for about five or six seconds I waited for several seconds. The spasmodic movements ceased.

The face relaxed, the lids half closed on the eyeballs, leaving only the white of the conjunctiva visible, exactly as in the dying whom we have occasion to see every day in the exercise of our profession, or as in those just dead.

It was then that I called in a strong, sharp voice: 'Languille!' I saw the eyelids slowly lift up, without any spasmodic contractions Next Languille's eyes very definitely fixed themselves on mine and the pupils focused themselves After several seconds, the eyelids closed again, slowly and evenly, and the head took on the same appearance as it had had before I called out.

It was at that point that I called out again and, once more, without any spasm, slowly, the eyelids lifted and undeniably living eyes fixed themselves on mine with perhaps even more penetration than the first time. Then there was a further closing of the eyelids, but now less complete. I attempted the effect of a third call; there was no further movement and the eyes took on the glazed look which they have in the dead.

I have just recounted to you with rigorous exactness what I was able to observe. The whole thing had lasted twenty-five to thirty seconds.

Gave me a major case of the heebie-jeebies...  :shock:
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 05:17:43 PM »

Jesus that's creepy
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 05:20:33 PM »

Really interesting but yeah, super creepy.

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 05:58:47 PM »

Iiiiiiiii aint got no-BODY...

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 06:01:09 PM »

a french chemist by the name of Antoine Lavoisier supposedly did something similar when he was executed near the end of the 18th century.  among other major scientific accomplishments, Lovoisier was a pioneer of stoichiometry who first stated the 'Law of Conservation of Matter.' he also studied combustion extensively, recognized the existence of oxygen and gave it its name, and was the first to prove that air was a mixture of gases and not a pure element.  

unfortunately, Lavoiser was involved in french government at the time of the french revolution and revolutionists sentenced him to death for being a traitor.  at the time of his beheading by guillotine, Lavoisier asked an assistant to count how many times he blinked in rapid succession after being decapitated...he supposedly managed 15-20 blinks at roughly one second intervals before dying.  of course noone is sure if the story is really true...

you can read all about Lavoisier over at Wikipedia if you're curious Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 07:09:29 PM »

Technically you should be able to stay conscious as long as you can keep blood to the brain. I imagine that the oxygen from the blood would deplete fairly rapidly.

I was just reading about an insect that could be decapitated and live for a year (which was as long as it's last meal could take it). If given the proper hormones, it would even molt to an adult without a head (and it would even mate!). Pretty cool stuff.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 07:20:38 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Technically you should be able to stay conscious as long as you can keep blood to the brain. I imagine that the oxygen from the blood would deplete fairly rapidly.

I was just reading about an insect that could be decapitated and live for a year (which was as long as it's last meal could take it). If given the proper hormones, it would even molt to an adult without a head (and it would even mate!). Pretty cool stuff.

Good thing you didn't tell us which insect that was!

PSN ID: EduardoX
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 07:32:21 PM »

Yikes!!
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 07:54:53 PM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"

Good thing you didn't tell us which insect that was!

And I never will. For the rest of your days you'll be haunted by every insect you see, wondering if it is headless and if it is coming to devour your brains!!!* Bwahahahahahahah!

*Does not apply to people without brains.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 08:27:16 PM »

I've always heard 10 seconds.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 08:47:31 PM »

True or not, that would make a great story to tell kids on Halloween.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 10:07:36 PM »

Personally?  The best I've ever done is a week.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 10:12:53 PM »

Bah. If you're concious, your brain is so overwhelmed with pain that it's probably not 'true conciousness' rather than an involuntary reaction to the overwhelming nerve chatter.

Next time I happen across a beheading, I shall ask the unfortunate party, immediately after the event, "Quickly! What is 2+2?"  Anyone should, if they are truly concious, be able to answer that one.

I'll report my findings back here.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 10:27:05 PM »

I'd be surprised if anyone feels pain from a quick decapitation, like from a guillotine.  I'd guess the shock would blunt that.  But for the same reason I'd be surprised if anyone could do even basic math after a decap.

Imagine asking someone who has just been in a bad car accident what 2+2 is, their reaction would probably be "what?".  I don't imagine the reaction after a decap to be much better.
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 01:08:32 AM »

I doubt it would be painful.  I was hit by a car (as a pedestrian), and didn't feel any pain for at least ten minutes.  Boy, it sure hurt like hell after that!  I wouldn't recommend the experience.

Anyway, I have since heard many doctors repeat that great trauma is not followed by pain until some time afterward, especially if there is an adrenal response.  I guess, evolution-wise, it would give an injured person/animal/whatever time to escape and get to somewhere safe before the pain kicked in.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 01:17:28 AM »

Sounds like some dipshit Frat-boy.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 01:22:44 AM »

Probably depends on what drugs you are on... post-decapitation:

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
unbreakable
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 01:35:34 AM »

I heard a roach can survive months without it's head, and the only reason it dies is because it has no way to eat.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 11:40:06 AM »

I've gone weeks without using my head.

Try to imagine what the brain is recieving in terms of neural signals. You know that feeling you get when you sleep on your arm and the circulation is cut? Well, multiply THAT by a thousand... smile

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2006, 01:42:26 AM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"

Imagine asking someone who has just been in a bad car accident what 2+2 is, their reaction would probably be "what?".  I don't imagine the reaction after a decap to be much better.

Unlike a car accident, you would expect a beheading, so it's less likely you'll be dazed and confused.

You wouldn't be able to answer the question however, because you'd have no breath to make sound. You could perhaps blink the answer I guess.

Would there be phantom feelings of the rest of the body though? (Much like people who have limbs amputated). It'd be really freaky if you felt fine but couldn't move or speak.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: