http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 11:29:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How is it Possible That Pizza Hut is still the number one Pizza Chain?  (Read 1400 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2010, 01:20:14 PM »

Graphic under photo on lower left in terms of sales.

Don't get me wrong, it's good pizza, but usually it's cost prohibitive and so I rarely ever have it. Guess I'm in the minority.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 01:24:43 PM »

Volume.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 01:27:41 PM »

Their new deal is $10 for any pizza.  Any pizza, any size, any toppings.  Not a bad deal.  All the big chains have been lowering prices lately as it was getting redicoulsly exoensive to get 'cheap' pizza delivered.  After delivery fees and tip it was close to the $20 range for a large pizza.  I much prefer to go to a local owned pizzeria shop and just pick it up for that price.  Or just hit little caesers and get a $5 large pepperoni if I want some on the cheap that is at least semi edible.  That being said I never get Pizza Hut anymore due to the fact that I went and picked a couple up one day and had an unsavory expierence.  Short story I ordered two pizzas and walked out before they were ready due to the way the employees were acting.

morlac00 on PSN
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:45:17 PM »

I love me some pizza hut. Unfortunately (or fortunately for my waist line) the closest one is clear across Boston so I haven't had it in years.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 02:06:14 PM »

I almost never order in pizza anymore. I think maybe once in three months, if that. I'd much rather pick up a pizza at the grocery store / walmart and bake it myself. I mention Walmart because they have some particularly good pizzas. Their deli section has bake at home pizzas for about $6 ($10 for an extra large); And their 'great value' pizza line is actually really good. Chicken Bacon Ranch, and Buffalo Chicken pizzas are both standouts, for about $4 each.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 02:13:39 PM »

I got to the local pizza places instead of the chains.  there's one that gives you the option of having the cheese melted while the pizza bakes or getting the cheese put on afterwards so it's only slightly melted from the heat of the pie.  the latter tastes so much better for some reason.  however, the place I primarily go to has even better pizza and their garlic bread with cheese is to die for.  they put grated garlic on the bread, not just garlic butter like other places do.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 02:16:23 PM »

After having pizza in Italy I can't go back to "American style" pizza anymore. I much prefer the italian minimalist thin-crust style. Especially their pizza margherita. The chain that gets closest to that around here is zpizza.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 03:23:42 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on May 06, 2010, 01:20:14 PM

Don't get me wrong, it's good pizza, but usually it's cost prohibitive and so I rarely ever have it. Guess I'm in the minority.

Cost-Prohibitive? I guess it depends what you're ordering but we've typically been able to get a couple larges for $20 or less which is a helluva lot of food for $20. We generally go with Papa John's as it's far less greasy than pizza hut, but I think cost prohibitive is the last thing that comes to mind with pizza hut. We tried take and bake, but I preferthe pizza to be done when I bring it home, rather than just starting.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 03:27:52 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on May 06, 2010, 01:20:14 PM

I think, I will get you wrong.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 04:05:55 PM »

I used to really like their pan pizza, but the one down the street from my house could never get it right.  We ordered from Domino's on a whim, and have been ordering from them since.  Their new recipe is awesome.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 04:13:40 PM »

When I went to visit my in laws in missouri, I was surprised at how many pizza huts there were... like every 20 feet.

The weird thing?  We ended up eating at one... last time I've had it (4 years ago?)

Saturation.

My favorite chain is Papa Murphy's... way better than any of the delivery places.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 04:40:26 PM »

Quote from: kratz on May 06, 2010, 04:13:40 PM

My favorite chain is Papa Murphy's... way better than any of the delivery places.

Yeah, I get Papa Murphy's once every week or two. It's just too good not to and there's one about three minutes from my house.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 04:41:33 PM »

Why is every guy who owns a pizza place a "Papa"? (or named "Ray")

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 04:44:26 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 06, 2010, 04:41:33 PM

Why is every guy who owns a pizza place a "Papa"? (or named "Ray")

this must be the ultimate place then.

Because I can,
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 04:49:23 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 06, 2010, 01:45:17 PM

I love me some pizza hut. Unfortunately (or fortunately for my waist line) the closest one is clear across Boston so I haven't had it in years.

Plus, you have Papa Gino's for really cheap pizza.

I'm not a big fan of Pizza Slut, especially delivered.  It gets all soggy and nasty if you don't get it fresh out of the oven, no matter what the crust.  Papa John's is even worse...that shit is all but inedible. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 05:27:56 PM »

Pizza Hut is downright cheap compared to some of the non-major-chain places we have around here. If you order a large from the Italian place up the street you're spending $25 when all is said and done. Now, it blows Pizza Hut out of the water in terms of taste, but I'm not sure if does so to the tune of being twice as expensive. Incredible Pizza is another smaller chain we have around here. Really good, but again you will be lucky to get out of there under $20.

The Pizza Hut $10 any pizza thing is the best deal ever. I have had more Pizza Hut since they started that promotion than I think I had the previous 2 years combined.
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 05:55:11 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on May 06, 2010, 04:49:23 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 06, 2010, 01:45:17 PM

Plus, you have Papa Gino's for really cheap pizza.

I'm not a big fan of Pizza Slut, especially delivered.  It gets all soggy and nasty if you don't get it fresh out of the oven, no matter what the crust.  Papa John's is even worse...that shit is all but inedible. 

I don't know. Extra veggies, Extra sauce, well done cooking on the Papa John's stuff makes it pretty good IMHO. When I have to order pizza, a large pepperoni, grilled chicken, mushrooms, peppers, onions, and roma tomatoes, with extra sauce, cooked to well done is my go-to order.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 06:24:53 PM »

I loved Pizza Hut 25 years ago. Then they killed Priazzo, and with it, all my hopes and dreams for the future. Ok, maybe not, but I loved that stuff. There are tons of pizza places in Seattle, and while pricey, we've had some great pies from both Paggliaci's and Jet City. Plenty of other places we haven't tried.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 06:28:09 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 06, 2010, 05:27:56 PM

The Pizza Hut $10 any pizza thing is the best deal ever. I have had more Pizza Hut since they started that promotion than I think I had the previous 2 years combined.

My local Papa John's has been doing the same thing for a while now. 1 Large 3 topping pizza for $10. How often do you really need more than 3 toppings anyway?

Maybe I'll order Pizza Hut next time I'm in the mood for some pizza and compare. But I've been a PJ's fan for a while now.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 07:21:32 PM »

Where I live, there's a Chicago pizza place, Paxti's, that is just fucking amazing. Elsewhere though, Dominos for the win.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 07:31:12 PM »

When I was a kid Pizza Hut came to my small town right after the long-time local place shut down and a new one opened.  I loved Pizza Hut at first, but as I got older and moved to other places, I've lost track of what made it appealing for me.  

As to why they are #1, it's the same reason McDonalds is #1 or some other national chain.  National chains have the advantage in these kinds of surveys.  For pizza, it's really just Domino's and Pizza Hut that are truly national anymore, though I gather that Papa Murphy's is on the rise.  Like others, Papa Murphy has become my pizza place of choice.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 07:36:41 PM »

did Pizza Hut not change its name to Pasta Hut last year?...i think i remember some of ours,or maybe in London changing names

did the name not stick?.or was it just the UK who got this dumb name change?

i think Domino's is more popular here,however i always call out from local pizza places as both Dominos and the hut are too expensive for me

another thing,the Pizza Huts here are more for 'family going out having a meal' type chain..than ordering etc,so that's me out straight away

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 08:18:17 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 06, 2010, 07:36:41 PM

did Pizza Hut not change its name to Pasta Hut last year?...i think i remember some of ours,or maybe in London changing names

did the name not stick?.or was it just the UK who got this dumb name change?

I believe that was limited to Europe.  There were rumors about it happening in the US, but so far they are still using the Pizza Hut name here.

- American Dad
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 08:58:36 PM »

I use to love Domino's as a kid and even worked at one in college.  When they switched to using corn meal instead of flour though, to me it was never the same.  Even the new stuff they have now still is no good for me with the corn meal.  I can't believe it makes that much of a difference.

Really enjoy Pizza Hut's thin crust though and the Pan is not bad every now and then.

Local favorite though here in KC is Minsky's Pizza.  Great pizza. Expensive though.  Would kill for a $10 Large LOL.

Pig
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 09:00:05 PM »

It was temporary.

Quote from: March 2008
The nation's largest pizza chain will temporarily change the logo on its headquarters on the Dallas North Tollway to "Pasta Hut," perhaps as early as Thursday, said Chris Fuller, a spokesman for Pizza Hut, which is owned by Louisville-based Yum Brands Inc.

An official announcement of the company's "name change" is scheduled for Tuesday, April Fool's Day.

The Pasta Hut logo will probably be on display for about a month, Mr. Fuller said.

And I like this little snippet:

David C. Novak, Yum's chairman and chief executive, has called Pizza Hut the company's "problem child."

I don't know about overseas, but in the U.S., Yum Brands owns Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, KFC, Long John Silvers, and A&W, which leads us to get unholy amalgam stores where two or three of them are combined into one storefront.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 09:32:56 PM »

I will come in here and be the odd person that really doesn't like pizza very much.  So many better things to eat out there.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 09:44:54 PM »

I'll admit it, I'm a big fan of Pizza Hut.  Y'all can keep that thin crust crap, I'm all about that awesome butter and grease-laden crust they use on their pan.  That said, I typically only eat it once every couple months because it's just so damn unhealthy.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 09:56:15 PM »

Pizzahut is actually the cheapest place around here if you use coupons liberally.  I Recommend retailmenot.com and order online, some coupons stack and you can regularly save 4-5 dollars. 

Sadly I find Pizza Hut food inviting until I actually have it and then I feel sick.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 10:43:38 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 06, 2010, 09:00:05 PM

Yum Brands owns Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, KFC, Long John Silvers, and A&W, which leads us to get unholy amalgam stores where two or three of them are combined into one storefront.

Kentaco Hut

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 10:47:44 PM »

We used to call them Kentucky Fried Pizza Hell.

Because I can,
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 10:50:42 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 06, 2010, 09:32:56 PM

I will come in here and be the odd person that really doesn't like pizza very much.  So many better things to eat out there.

Not a big fan, either. When I worked in game development the team had to stay late into the evening for months at a time, and we had pizza for dinner 2 or 3 times a week for months at a time. Ever since then I've thought of it as emergency backup food, something to eat when there's no other choice. Can't remember the last time I had one from a chain store.

I used to make pretty good pizza, but it's not worth the effort and the calories.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 11:44:48 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on May 06, 2010, 10:50:42 PM

Quote from: The Grue on May 06, 2010, 09:32:56 PM

Not a big fan, either. When I worked in game development the team had to stay late into the evening for months at a time, and we had pizza for dinner 2 or 3 times a week for months at a time. Ever since then I've thought of it as emergency backup food, something to eat when there's no other choice. Can't remember the last time I had one from a chain store.

I see your point, but there's a big difference between pizza in that situation and something straight out of the oven.  I love pizza, but really dislike it when its produced for group meals like that.  By the time it gets passed around it loses a lot of its appeal.

I used to make pretty good pizza, but it's not worth the effort and the calories.

Heretic!

icon_wink

- American Dad
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2010, 01:11:17 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on May 06, 2010, 10:50:42 PM

... but it's not worth the effort and the calories.

Why do you hate America?

USA! USA! USA!
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2010, 02:38:34 AM »

As I've said in another thread, if Pizza Hut is cost prohibitive, then you're doing something wrong.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2010, 03:46:26 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 06, 2010, 06:24:53 PM

I loved Pizza Hut 25 years ago. Then they killed Priazzo, and with it, all my hopes and dreams for the future. Ok, maybe not, but I loved that stuff. There are tons of pizza places in Seattle, and while pricey, we've had some great pies from both Paggliaci's and Jet City. Plenty of other places we haven't tried.

Priazzo rocked!  Made pan pizza look like diet food!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2010, 04:03:55 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on May 07, 2010, 02:38:34 AM

As I've said in another thread, if Pizza Hut is cost prohibitive, then you're doing something wrong.

could SL=Daehawk?

Because I can,
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2010, 06:07:58 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 07, 2010, 04:03:55 AM

could SL=Daehawk?

Someone remembers!   icon_lol

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2010, 01:16:27 PM »

Delivery = Domino's
Eat in = Pizza Hut
Slice in a mall..Sbarro

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2010, 02:53:51 PM »

Quote from: Flatlander on May 07, 2010, 03:46:26 AM

Quote from: Misguided on May 06, 2010, 06:24:53 PM

Priazzo rocked!  Made pan pizza look like diet food!

If your Priazzo last more than four hours, seek medical attention.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2010, 03:05:14 PM »

that hurts man... that hurts.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: