http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 08:11:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How hot does it get where you are?  (Read 2380 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 26, 2007, 05:52:36 PM »

See, we here in Canadialand are often asked things like "do you have air conditioning in your igloos?" but we actually make houses out of concrete, wood, and gyprock. We also use nails, screws, and duct tape.

As it stands here in Manitoba, (it's called a "province")  we don't get cold weather. We get continental weather. It's either extremely cold, extremely hot, or extremely mild. We go from -40C/F to 38C/100F depending on the year (and that's the temp; that's not any adustment due to either humidity or wind-chill). Generally it's mild, but our weather is rarely consistant.

Yesterday one of the smaller towns in Manitoba just got to 53deg Celcius (127.4deg F) with the humidex rating, and we were at a paltry 57C (116F) in Winnipeg (provincial capitol). Then it rained and dropped to low eighties in the afternoon. Crazy stuff

fixed some bad labelling. that's 116F, not 116C retard Water boils at 100C
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 04:05:04 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 05:57:20 PM »

SF is basically 60 degrees F year round.  It can fluctuate 30 degrees or so either way, but doesn't do so often.  And if you go about 10 miles south, it can easily be 20 degrees hotter than SF.

gellar
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 05:58:58 PM »

What, you mean Canadians don't live in Igloos and have heads that look like eggs? (South Park  icon_biggrin)

Down here in South Florida (Miami/FtLauderdale) it's always hot. I'm sick of it. Even in the "winter" it's hot. No wonder all the Canadians come down here!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 06:18:10 PM »

Salt Lake is usually 95-105 F in the summer and 20-40 F in the winter.  Both spring and fall are 60-70's.  I hate the summer (I generally despise hot weather in general), but the rest of the year is really quite nice.  Very low humidity as well, which helps.

Weather.com says it's 85 today, but after spending the morning outside, I can guarantee it's hotter than that.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 06:22:09 PM »

Missouri here... it goes all over the place... usually with high humidity.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 06:25:19 PM »

Here == Scottsdale, AZ

It was around 115 here last week...been in the 100s this week (with rain, which means YAY HUMIDITY DEATH). frown

GT/OO Weight Loss Tracker: http://www.jxprime.net/WeightTracker
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 06:27:40 PM »

It rarely gets above 100 here in middle Tennessee, but the humidity is always high.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 06:43:36 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on July 26, 2007, 05:58:58 PM

Down here in South Florida (Miami/FtLauderdale) it's always hot. I'm sick of it. Even in the "winter" it's hot. No wonder all the Canadians come down here!

Where are you? I'm just outside Ft. Lauderdale. It's been hot as hell lately.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 07:03:17 PM »

Quote from: SpicyJ on July 26, 2007, 06:25:19 PM

Here == Scottsdale, AZ

It was around 115 here last week...been in the 100s this week (with rain, which means YAY HUMIDITY DEATH). frown

But look on the bright side for us who live in Arizona (or downtown at least) - our winters rock (60-70 degrees for a high). Makes the summer (and the oh-so glorious monsoon season) bearable.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kratz
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 07:03:57 PM »

Rarely above 85... rarely above 80, really... this summer has been particularly hot though, and we've had like a month above 80, even a couple of days above 90, I think...

Humidity is generally less than 20%.  Today it's up to 41% because we had a massive downpour yesterday.

Go WYO.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 07:08:37 PM »

Quote from: Jag on July 26, 2007, 06:43:36 PM

Quote from: corruptrelic on July 26, 2007, 05:58:58 PM

Where are you? I'm just outside Ft. Lauderdale. It's been hot as hell lately.

West Palm Beach crew reporting in. And yes, yes it has been. Not much fun to be had outside nowdays.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 07:16:10 PM »

I live in WI, 20 mins from milwaukee so no lake effect here. it goes from like below zero in the winter at times, to sometimes hitting 100 in the summer. last few days have been like 80 with about the same in humidity, it's just terrible. right now it's 75 with 83% humidity, yuck.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 07:48:07 PM »

Too fucking hot.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 08:26:04 PM »

Seattle's pretty nice if you want a moderate climate without extremes and if you can handle a lot of gray rain drizzle days.  People think it rains a lot here, but that's only true in terms of number of days it rains and it not true in terms of amount of rain.  The nice thing is that the rain filters the air so air quality if usually pretty good and clear days are brilliantly nice.  High temps range from 50-70 degrees most of the year with summer averaging 75.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 08:35:48 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 26, 2007, 05:52:36 PM

and we were at a paltry 116C in Winnipeg (provincial capitol). Then it rained and dropped to low eighties in the afternoon. Crazy stuff.

Now that's freakin hot.  icon_twisted What's that, like 240 in real world degrees?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 09:03:52 PM »

Chicago is nice.  Everyone here lives for the summer.  Some days it can get really humid, but the wind does a good job of making it bearable.

Winters... not so much.  But thanks to global warming, they haven't been too bad for about ten years or so (it used to be below zero for most of January, now it's usually around 20-30 degrees).
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 09:26:44 PM »

Portland Oregon (actually Hillsboro - a suburb to the west) here. Our hottest average high temperatures of the year are 82, but you know how averages go. The hottest temperature ever recorded in Portland is around 107. Currently we're supposed to be around 80 and it hasn't been far off that mark.

I grew up on the Monterey Peninsula in CA, and so I like cool, cloudy weather (summers there are 65 and clouds). I absolutely love it when October rolls around in Oregon and the highs plummet from the low 70's to the upper 50's. Only three months to go....  icon_biggrin

Humidity is hardly ever a factor here. Just a few days ago it was a bit warm with higher than normal humidity, but it's never anything like you poor people in the south put up with, so if you ever hear anyone from my area whining about it, just slap them.

As for winter, the coldest average day's high temp is 45. Our average yearly snowfall is seven inches, and we've been consistently below that for a few years now (a couple years with no snowfall at all, but Mt. Hood is an hour away with all the snow you could ever want). When we have a cold spell (near or below freezing) blow through it's almost always accompanied with completely dry weather. I've been in the Portland area about 16 years now, and can't remember it ever getting below 15 degrees.

Portland is a really mellow place to live when it comes to weather.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 09:49:36 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on July 26, 2007, 09:03:52 PM

Chicago is nice.  Everyone here lives for the summer.  Some days it can get really humid, but the wind does a good job of making it bearable.

Winters... not so much.  But thanks to global warming, they haven't been too bad for about ten years or so (it used to be below zero for most of January, now it's usually around 20-30 degrees).
The summers in Chicago are fucking awful. I prefer winter by a long shot.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Drazzil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 11:20:04 PM »

Here in San Bernardino CA it can get as cold as around 30 degrees in the winter and as hot as 115-120 degrees in the summer. The record has to be around 125 degrees set a few years ago.
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 12:03:32 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 26, 2007, 07:03:17 PM

But look on the bright side for us who live in Arizona (or downtown at least) - our winters rock (60-70 degrees for a high). Makes the summer (and the oh-so glorious monsoon season) bearable.

Aye.  I live in the Coronado historical district in downtown Phoenix (NORTH of I-10, thankyouverymuch) and the winters are just perfect.  From November through usually April, it's beyond pleasant.  Right now, not so much.  At least those in the east/west valley get rain.

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 12:26:51 AM »

Atlanta's summers are mostly in the 90s to 100s with high humidity and daily afternoon rain showers. Pretty brutal, but the winter (my first Atlanta winter after 30+ Chicago ones) was mostly in the 40s, with nary a flake of snow to be found. That more than made up for the burning death of summer.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 01:25:52 AM »

about the mid 90's is our max here, although the last week it's been around 80.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
unbreakable
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 03:43:04 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on July 26, 2007, 09:49:36 PM

This summer was great, IMO.  But I live literally right near the lake, so that probably has a lot to do with it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 04:05:52 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on July 26, 2007, 08:35:48 PM

Quote from: Purge on July 26, 2007, 05:52:36 PM

and we were at a paltry 116C in Winnipeg (provincial capitol). Then it rained and dropped to low eighties in the afternoon. Crazy stuff.

Now that's freakin hot.  icon_twisted What's that, like 240 in real world degrees?

good catch coop.. fixed that. Water boils at 100C. heh.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 03:12:37 PM »

It's been a mild summer for the most part here in DC. Its mostly been mid-high eighties with some nineties thrown in for much of July. June was simliar, but we had two weeks of straight mid-high nineties and a couple days around 100-all of this is typical for DC swamp weather. Where I am moving has been in the low to mid 80s with nary rain insight according to weather.com for the last 4 weeks, with evenings in the mid 60s. Cannot freaking wait to live there.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 04:34:04 PM »

We've actually had a rather temperate summer in Connecticut.  I haven't been precisely tracking things, but I'd estimate that we've averaged 75-85F for daytime highs with moderate humidity.  The last couple days have been on the warmer side of that and pretty muggy, but most days are quite comfortable.

Most summers are more like high 80s-to-mid 90s with moderate to high humidity.  Those temperatures are where I'll start to get concerned about running my computer or gaming console for too long without an air conditioner to bring down the room temperature, but I'm outdoors a lot more often so that rarely factors in anyhow.  I will start running the A/C at night so I can get some sleep, though.  icon_cool

-Autistic Angel
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 11:36:07 PM »

Buffalo sucks no matter the weather smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2007, 11:56:33 AM »

Like Jarrod said--Missouri is hot and humid in the summer today they are calling for 90F with 90% humidity and it hasn't rained all week and the winters here suck because we are usually on the freeze line and get ICE....good stuff....last winter we didn't have power for about 2 weeks.  The temp in the house droped to around 34F.  On the plus side the food didn't spoil...nothing like mother nature refridgeration (just didn't have a way to cook it so why take the chance).  Yeah it SUCKED!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 11:59:30 AM by papasmurff » Logged

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2007, 02:17:13 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on July 27, 2007, 11:36:07 PM

Buffalo sucks no matter the weather smile

at least you don't get any snow  icon_wink

Because I can,
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2007, 02:24:38 PM »

may the lice of a thousand reindeer infest your cajones.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2007, 04:37:44 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on July 27, 2007, 03:43:04 AM

This summer was great, IMO.  But I live literally right near the lake, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Yeah, but Ed came from Denver so he's used to cold.

As for Texas, it's usually in the high 90s low to mid-100's from June through September but this year has been different. For the first six months of the year it rained pretty much non stop. This coming after two years of record drought. As such, we've only hit the high 90s within the last two weeks and maybe hit 100 once.

It's freaking my shit out.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2007, 04:54:06 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 27, 2007, 04:34:04 PM

We've actually had a rather temperate summer in Connecticut.  I haven't been precisely tracking things, but I'd estimate that we've averaged 75-85F for daytime highs with moderate humidity.  The last couple days have been on the warmer side of that and pretty muggy, but most days are quite comfortable.

the summer here in hartford has definitely been pretty mild.  my only complaint recently is that it's either been hot and muggy, or raining on the weekends.  the weather tends to be great during the week, but every time i've had a chance to enjoy some time outside, we've gotten rain to put a damper on things.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
unbreakable
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2007, 03:09:31 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on July 28, 2007, 04:37:44 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on July 27, 2007, 03:43:04 AM

Yeah, but Ed came from Denver so he's used to cold.

As for Texas, it's usually in the high 90s low to mid-100's from June through September but this year has been different. For the first six months of the year it rained pretty much non stop. This coming after two years of record drought. As such, we've only hit the high 90s within the last two weeks and maybe hit 100 once.

It's freaking my shit out.

After my two weeks in Houston in early July, I don't think anything Chicago can throw at me will seem hot.  It was like being crushed by a big boot of humidity, and smacked upside the head by the sun.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2007, 11:49:19 AM »

Last night @ 8:30pm it was 31 deg C, with the humidex it was 40.  icon_evil

Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2007, 03:27:56 PM »

We ususally have several 100 F days around here in the summer.  Here is SW of Houston about 60 miles about 45 miles from the coast.  It's been very cloudy and rainy all summer and we haven't been above 90 much.  Still 90 degress with 90% humidity is damn hot.

In winter we usually have a handful of morning that are freezing or below.  Usually about 25 F for the coldest morning of winter, but it's been as low as about 7 F before.

We don't have much autumn around here.  It's still in the 90s in October and sometimes November too.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2007, 03:44:46 PM »

ugh, it's going to be lower 90's here most of the week  thumbsdown

Because I can,
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2007, 08:28:32 PM »

70's and low 80's here, always with a nice breeze (as long as you live near the coast like I do). Humidity has been a little ridiculous lately, though.

Edit: I live in Maine, btw (represent)
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2007, 08:48:32 PM »

Quote from: SpicyJ on July 26, 2007, 06:25:19 PM

Here == Scottsdale, AZ

I'm in Phoenix, so I know the Summers can blaze (120'F a couple days a year tho avg is prolly like 108), but the Winters are very nice. Typical hi on Christmas day is 60'F. The 5 weeks of "humidity" brought on by our monsoons is kind of gross, but those wonderful rainshowers are so nice.

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile! ©
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2007, 09:10:31 PM »

It can get up over 100 here in Pittsburgh, Pa but usually in the summer it is around 90, which is way too hot.  Once it gets over 65 I am uncomfortable, over 75 and I am miserable.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2007, 10:03:51 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 26, 2007, 05:57:20 PM

SF is basically 60 degrees F year round.  It can fluctuate 30 degrees or so either way, but doesn't do so often.  And if you go about 10 miles south, it can easily be 20 degrees hotter than SF.

gellar

And if you commute into the city from 25 miles north, the temperature delta between the Sunset and North Marin can be 40 degrees in the summer...

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: