http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 11:37:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How have CG's forums changed since the flood of GG refugees?  (Read 2726 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2004, 10:22:46 PM »

I registered on these boards last May but never actually posted here after I registered.  I was a GoneGold junkie tried and true.  Rightly or wrongly, I never even checked in here prior to October 8th or so when Gone Gold folded.

I got to thinking today that these boards operated for months without the influx of refugees from Gone Gold.  For those of you who have been around awhile, what has the change been like?  One of the major worries us boat people had when we washed up on your shore was that we would treat the locals rudely and spoil something good you had going.

What was it like before? How has it changed?  What's been good and what's been bad?

Thanks for indulging my curiosity.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 10:26:22 PM »

It was less busy, but very simple and easygoing.

Don't know if that's what you're going for, but it's the best wording I've got. I was honestly only an intermittent visitor, but I did check it out at least a few times a week.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 02:09:59 AM »

Ye Olde Farte
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 04:28:42 AM »

I recall it being much the same, though a little quieter.  I also don't recall as many MMORPG threads, but maybe that's because the two big boys weren't rolling out.

The splintering of the gaming forum into console and PC sections didn't even cause a rift among the members.  Am I dissapointed or relieved? Tongue

It's the same place, just more faces.  Welcome!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 10:36:31 PM »

As a Gone Gold refugee, I have only this to say:

In this country, you gotta make the posts first. Then when you get the post count, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the...  

I'm not sure what you get next actually.  I already have a woman, what should I use my newly found power here to acquire?

Seriously, though, this place kinda feels like it's become very GG like and I have no idea whether the atmosphere was like this before the influx but I think we might have molded a little of these forums with our "forum preconceptions"
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 05:40:23 AM »

There was a rough spell while people were getting over the disappearance of GG, but it's back to how it was before.  For one, I'm glad that the R & P people took their discussion elsewhere -- it simply doesn't fit, en masse, in this community.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 08:53:45 PM »

||
||
||
\/

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 04:47:18 PM »

I don't think it's changed much at all. It was wierd at first, but it seems that everyone had settled on the forum that they want and now it's back to normal.

In fact I'd say I like it more. I hated checking the GG forums and then come back here, we had a good little core here that had good discussion, and now everyone else gets to the see that group of people, who weren't necessarrilly noticed at GG.

On top of that it's good to know that we have defined leadership and things in place so that we can avoid things like the Mod-wars, and people freaking out because a few people want to change how the forum was run.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 03:06:19 PM »

I have to admit that I was a bit worried there for a while, but good discussion among managers and mods and the community at large kept the oars in the water.  I'm happy with how things turned out.

As far as how things changed, we do have a bit more traffic than before, but I don't think our core has changed much.  We had a solid community of people interested in gaming and I think we still have that.  

That said, I'm happy that we are now covering PC - there were just too many great games that we were not covering because of our console-only focus.  I'm happy to be covering great titles like WoW, EQII, Vampire, HL2, etc. as well as the smaller nitche titles that some folks won't necessarily pick up like CSI and Sherlock Holmes.  As we move forward and integrate PC a bit better I think the focus will re-adjust and blend so its more even, but that'll take time.  I love watching this site grow...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Matt
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 05:11:23 PM »

Good thing I registered here early to get my nick.. I have been out awhile and just found out GG folded but I play more console lately anyway

I like these forums better then them old ones anyway. Looks good here..

Gamer tag= gball
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2004, 05:35:50 PM »

Not much change - I like it here!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2004, 09:29:06 PM »

I'm a happy GG refugee!!

Thanks for having me.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 09:59:41 PM »

Quote from: "PaulBot"
I'm a happy GG refugee!!

Thanks for having me.

Where would the CG Post Padders Club be without you?   biggrin
ma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2004, 06:35:09 PM »

Can somebody remind me of the other message board started up by GGers?  I'd like to try to keep up with both...

Formerly known as "matt" on GG
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2004, 07:18:57 PM »

that would be Octopus Overlords

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2004, 08:59:38 PM »

I think the CG/OO split is a bit of a shame as neither board seems quite as "dense" as Gonegold was, with as many new messages posted regularly.  I have to keep switching back and forth.

It's also sort of weird to see the same thread topics appearing on CG and OO and occasionally on Quartertothree as well.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2004, 09:04:18 PM »

Quote from: "bluefugue"
I think the CG/OO split is a bit of a shame as neither board seems quite as "dense" as Gonegold was, with as many new messages posted regularly.  I have to keep switching back and forth.

It's also sort of weird to see the same thread topics appearing on CG and OO and occasionally on Quartertothree as well.

Yeah, when people copy and paste their posts...never had to do that during the old days.  I'm not dissing on it, but it's kind of a pain to do.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2004, 09:47:14 PM »

Quote from: "ma"
Can somebody remind me of the other message board started up by GGers?  I'd like to try to keep up with both...

I hope this OK by the mods, but the other board is here:

www.octopusoverlords.com

I personally check in with both of them. This place seems to be more active with gaming and the other with R&P and other stuff. I don't mind it nearly as much as I thought I would.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2004, 10:03:03 PM »

hey, I didn't know there was a second board...I'll have to check it out.

But for now, I like CG...its not as "hectic" as GG, and the discussion is more open.  Heck, even bought the xbox I have been thinking about, does that make me a CGer now?  Heck I haven't even bought a PC game in over two months!!  (I don't have half-life 2 and no GG effect to buy it smile)

.   But overall, lots of familiar nicks and chats.  I just hope CG doesn't do that "politics and religion" forum...that was one part of GG that I didn't enjoy, and NEVER posted in it.   The deals forum in GG was more active than here, but overall, I think CG is nice (the forum is up and no lag!).
warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2004, 10:25:49 PM »

Quote from: "Zero"
...but overall, I think CG is nice (the forum is up and no lag!).

Wait till we start open bar Fridays.!
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2004, 10:33:43 PM »

Ive been here for a lil bit readin and only started postin recently.  I dont mind it at all.  There's a bit more of the "threads gettin off topic as we smash the stupidity of others" stuff every now and then, but not enough to really ruin the experience.  Its more than offset by the increased volume of good threads... and Im not sure I would have been able to bullshit as much durin the ALCS and WS without the influx of GGers  smile (I was a LONG time visiter to that site - actually since just before PC Gamer mentioned the site for the first time but really never once checked out the forums, just Rich's front page stuff).
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2004, 10:33:49 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

would that be in Phoenix, AZ?  I'll bring the CHEEETOS   :wink:
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2004, 10:46:35 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

would that be in Phoenix, AZ?  I'll bring the CHEEETOS   :wink:

Where's the Mountain Dew?!?!

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2004, 07:18:11 PM »

Are there any girls?  cause if there are any girls I want to DO THEMMM!!!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2004, 07:26:50 PM »

Um...yea....reading this isn't going to get my wife to come to any CG gatherings. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: