http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 01:34:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How has your life changed since the last "next gen"?  (Read 664 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2013, 01:13:50 PM »

A dawn of a new age is upon us! I guess we'll go with the 360 since that was released first. In November of 2005 I had just turned 26 and had been living in Japan for about about 7 months of my planned one year stay in Japan. I was living with my company assigned roommate who has since passed on this spring. I wasn't married and I certainly didn't have any kids (one born this September). I was in normal shape for a 26 year old but I think now I'm about 7 or 8 kg heavier at least!
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 04:53:21 PM »

I really like this topic idea smile

My pre-ordered 360 ended up being available on Xmas Eve.  That was seriously awesome timing.  My son was 3 going on 4.  And we had a 1 year old daughter.  I remember he had a blast watching me play Kameo.  It was a pretty awesome time because he was just getting old enough to be excited by the idea of me getting a new console.

Fast forward to today.  The kids are quite a bit older, my son is 11 going on 12, daughter is 9 going on 10.  My son, while excited about the idea of a new console , has his own computer now.  That's where he games with his friends.  I'm in a similar situation.  So while gaming is my hobby and I'm super excited about these consoles.  I'm holding off for a while because we really have enough stuff to play at the moment.

What is really interesting to me is that we spent enough time in this current generation for me to have toddlers at the beginning of it who are almost teenagers at the end of it. 

For the record I was 31 when they came out, now I'm turning 40 next year.   

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 05:53:49 PM »

I didn't get the Xbox360 until Christmas, 2007. I was holding out through sheer willpower, even through the imminent release of Halo3. Then RockBand happened. And I had to have it. So in one fell swoop I went all in on the xbox. It was glorious RockBand and Halo3 nirvana. Less than 10 months later my first daughter arrived. That put a serious dent in my console gaming until the kinect came out. Then both daughter and daddy could play together - until my second daughter arrived two years ago. Then, just after daughter #2 was able to walk, she became cognizant of the white xbox console with the inviting big button on the front.

She pushed it, and yet another gamer was added to our fold smile. It started innocently enough - she'd play with the wireless controller and press the giant X button, then smile as the console lit up and made noise. Then she watched as daughter #1 and I played Once Upon a Monster. And now, she's the one who hands me the controller whenever she wants to play Once Upon a Monster.

Along the way I've been lucky enough to been a part of the MESSENGER mission to Mercury, witness a NASA balloon launch, switched jobs to work for the Applied Physics Lab, and gain 13 pounds, of which I've been able to lose 10.

I'm going to wait out this next gen though. I'm saving up my pennies to spend on the Occulus Rift (if indeed it becomes ALL that). I hope it does, because Eve Valkyrie looks amazingly awesome.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 05:59:42 PM »

In 2005 it was just me and Mrs. Gratch, and I had all the time I could ever want to game.  Probably averaged between 2-3 hours a day, and it was my primary hobby.

Today, Little B is 4.5 and the Wonder Twins are 0.5.  I have an established career, and typically work 50-60 hours a week and travel between 2-3 weeks a month.  I now consider myself very lucky if I get 2 hours a week to game.  Not sure if it's just me getting older and busier or the gaming market actually shifting, but I find myself less and less interested in gaming.  In 2005, I would probably have a two page list of games that I was looking forward to.  Today, I can count the number of upcoming games I really want to play on one hand.  I wouldn't say I've replaced gaming as a main hobby, but I'm much more of a casual gamer these days.  If a game has a steep learning curve or is overly complex, I find that I simply don't have the energy or brain cells to devote to learning it.  I give up and move on more often than not.  I have zero interest in jumping into the "next gen".

Kinda sad about it, but it is what it is.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 06:05:21 PM »

My daughter had just been born and I was in no way going to go out to stand in line for a console, especially as my 'it' game was pushed back from launch and I went with a PC upgrade in the interim.  In the time since, I went full over to PC, drifted back over with social gaming on the Wii, then heavy on PC while seeing all the fun 360 gamers were having here and jumped in when the Elite launched.  I stayed primarily a console player with it and the PS3 the same year until about 2 years ago when my PC was upgraded and the games began to surpass what could be done on console alone.  

I remember many sleepless nights where you forget what time and day it is when the sun finally rises.  it wouldn't be for another year that I got in with the next gen, and then only with the Wii.  

She just turned 8 and I feel old.  My son is 5 1/2 and is now the primary player on the console although that is slowly fading out as the lack of quality kinect games means he's getting bored of playing the same ones all the time.  

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »

For the better. My depression is under control and I've found out that I don't need to be "perfect" for someone to love me. It took a long time -over 20 years-  I finally can love myself for who I am.

I even have my drinking under control. I no longer drink to get hammered. Ever.

I did not take up smoking again as I feared I would after I stopped drinking like a fish. I eat a bit more than usual because I found out that I love to cook food. Seriously, guys, BLUE BERRY MUFFINS are the shit when made from scratch. And smoking meats is a lot of fun.

I'm a person who is loved by others.

That was something I couldn't see... And it nearly killed me.

It's cool to read everyone's stories and to see how much we've all grown through the years. We're all sorta, like, a family. Ceekay bot included.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on November 21, 2013, 06:22:00 PM

For the better. My depression is under control and I've found out that I don't need to be "perfect" for someone to love me. It took a long time -over 20 years-  I finally can love myself for who I am.

I even have my drinking under control. I no longer drink to get hammered. Ever.

I did not take up smoking again as I feared I would after I stopped drinking like a fish. I eat a bit more than usual because I found out that I love to cook food. Seriously, guys, BLUE BERRY MUFFINS are the shit when made from scratch. And smoking meats is a lot of fun.

I'm a person who is loved by others.

That was something I couldn't see... And it nearly killed me.

It's cool to read everyone's stories and to see how much we've all grown through the years. We're all sorta, like, a family. Ceekay bot included.

thumbsup  This warms my dark, shriveled heart.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »

And what happened, then? Well, in Whoville GT-Ville they say - that the Grinch's Gratch's small dark, shriveled heart grew three sizes that day. And then - the true meaning of Christmas gaming came through, and the Grinch Gratch found the strength of *ten* Grinches Gratches, plus two!

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 07:19:54 PM »

icon_lol icon_lol

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 07:23:49 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on November 21, 2013, 06:22:00 PM

We're all sorta, like, a family. Ceekay bot included.
01100001 01101000 01101000 01101000 01101000.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 09:06:23 PM »

sure you wanna hear this?

Spoiler for MO's 101 laughs a minute:
Lost my job which lead (unknown to me at the time) to be unemployed for a very,very long time,a year later while still looking for a job i had trouble peeing and after having a very long and large enough camera stuck into me-Yeah,it went down there- it was confirmed i had Bladder Cancer.

Stupid Cancer had blocked all my holes in my Bladder,my Kidneys could not put any pee in there and hole to dick was blocked so i could not get any pee out of there.

So I spent next 4-5 months in and out of hospital having things stuffed in and out of my penis..its a shame i am not kinky(well,more so i mean),as i perhaps would have enjoyed it a bit more,but yeah there was a lot of  eek moments...and blood hitting the flo...you know,what?,we can skip that part(Hint:I said 'Out of my Penis')

Then the big 10 day stay in Hospital and had my Bladder removed,which leads me to now have to wear an Urostomy Bag(Hey,you know what Mr Spell Check red wiggly line,I spelt that correctly,so fuck you!)

so i more or less can never be completely naked now which could be a pretty good defense for future indecent exposure court cases!!

It took a long time to get my balance right again,it was pretty funny actually how just getting rid of a little thing like your bladder can mess about with how stable you are on your feet...I nearly landed on the cat a few times(but she was too quick disgust)

Although i did not have any Chemo/Radiotherapy(as your Bladder is it's own unit inside your body) it took another two years to recover and get off the sick,Off the sick as in classed fit to work by the Government that is..which is where i had more problems,as i was now officially unemployed again,my mortgage people decided now would be the time to start proceedings for reposession

No job was forthcoming (This is the part where you think all is lost for the hero of the story(yeah thats me) after all he has been through)...month after month i would be taken to court while trying desperately to find a job,and of the first 4 times,i was lucky enough to have a Judge on my side and would adjourn the case..but yeah,that didn't stop depression hitting like a brick wall to the face,much more so when i was sick

The 5th time in court was coming up(22nd October 2013),it was going to be the end...but by amazing luck on 17th October i managed to get a job,and that was good enough for the Judge because i could still make my mortgage payments and settle before the time the mortgage was agreed to end(2025-I have 11 years 10 months left from the 25 year mortgage..or something like that anyway)

After all that,I am enjoying my job,its not great pay and its a warehouse job but i love it and the people there,my health..well,i guess could be better still as i am still overweight and i get a lot of aches and pains but i get through and i get to plan for all the little jobs my house needs(new carpets,floors,doors...well yeah too many to list),and plan for next gen as well

Looking back to just the last 5 weeks,its funny how me getting a job has completely turned my life and my attitude around

moral of the story?...er..not sure really,don't chew with your mouth open?

oh and as well as all that i also lost Myto to Forsaken World(Give her back you bastard!!)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 09:39:01 PM »

November 2005, eh?

I was married and we were struggling with our 5 month old's inability to sleep through the night.

Since then I've lost my wife to cancer and dealt with raising a now-8 year old myself.  I've loved and lost and now find myself in love again with an amazing woman who shares many of my nerdy hobbies.  I didn't get a Ps3 until several years after launch and it's now a dedicated BluRay player as all my gaming takes place on the PC.

It's been a very eventful 8 years.
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 11:40:20 PM »

I'm at the same job, married to the same woman and live in the same neighbourhood (although I have since purchased a home).

Very little has changed and that's A-OK with me
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 12:33:34 AM »

All of these stories only validate my decision not to own a console. No consoles, nothing changes.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 12:57:23 AM »

Interesting read Metallicorphanm glad things worked out in the end.

I remember in 2005 driving 45 minutes to check all the stores for a 360 with no luck. Finally bought one on Ebay at something like $10 over price.

Since then everything has completely changed, many times over. My life is pretty boring, but looking back to 2005, a lot of crap happened.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 05:31:07 AM »

For the 1st time in decades, I no longer have young children at home. That meant beginning last Fall, for the 1st time in 3 console gens, I didn't buy Nintendo's shiny new console at launch. As well, my kids are in their teens now and are really only interested in PC gaming, so the 3 consoles won't factor nearly as much into my game play this gen.

I've been playing in biweekly LAN meets for years now and for the past few years that's when/where I get in the majority of my console game play. A number of the younger members or our group now have young children at home and won't be attending nearly as often. Which means fewer overall players. Players like myself that started it as a PC LAN group back during the PS1/N64 gen won't bother buying our own consoles. 90% of my console play is co-op play, so that works for me. If I buy any of the consoles this gen, I'll probably only get 1 of them.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 05:34:18 AM by kronovan » Logged
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »

In November of 2005 I was 31 years old working in Savannah Georgia (for the same company, just different location).  My mom was alive and we had no idea she was going to be diagnosed with cancer and later lose her battle with it (I miss you mom).  My daughter was 2.5 years old, and my son was less than a year.  I was heavily into World of Warcraft and raiding.   The University of Alabama was still mucking around the probation + Shula years, and it would be two more years before the start of an era of renewed football dynasty.

That year, at the request of his wife, I camped out with a coworker in 33 degree weather overnight at a Best Buy to get a 360.   We made it from 10pm to 8am and were 2 people short in line to get the system.   It was devastating.   I later purchased one of Walmart.com's completely unethical and insane (and useless) bundles to get it in time for Christmas.   When it arrived I promptly piled all of the extra garbage it came with into my car and returned it all to Walmart for a refund (everything besides the system).
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 11:35:00 PM »

My now-wife bought me a 360 as a Christmas present.  After these past 8 years, she won't be making that mistake again smile  At the time I was living the bachelor life for a little bit longer in a one bedroom apartment.  Now I'm in the 'burbs with a wife and two kids after years of infertility treatments and adoption rigmarole.  Still at the same employer, but my job responsibilities have changed significantly and I'm much happier career-wise than I was back then.

I was 18 months out from my cancer diagnosis in 03, and still very unsure what the future held.  Celebrated 10 years in remission this fall.

Quote from: Exodor on November 21, 2013, 09:39:01 PM

Since then I've lost my wife to cancer and dealt with raising a now-8 year old myself.  I've loved and lost and now find myself in love again with an amazing woman who shares many of my nerdy hobbies.  I didn't get a Ps3 until several years after launch and it's now a dedicated BluRay player as all my gaming takes place on the PC.

It's been a very eventful 8 years.

To say the least... holy crap man, I don't know if you've shared that here before, but if you did I missed it.  My condolences on the loss of your wife, and congrats on the new woman and being a kickass single dad.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:38:27 PM by Laner » Logged
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 07:18:13 PM »

In 2005, I was a broke college student scraping together bucks to buy a 360 at launch.

Since then, I got an internship, graduated, carried the internship over into a job, got married, got divorced, turned the job into a career, and I've lived in Queens, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and now Manhattan.

So, uh, I've been busy.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 01:41:50 AM »

I got an Xbox 360 a few weeks after launch with Kameo as my first game. I had been married for about 5 months at the time and my wife agreed to camp out, but the line at best buy was already full. So I got one elsewhere later. Now 8 years later I'm happy to say I'm still married and we're expecting our first child (a boy) in January. In that time of enjoying the DINK lifestyle we've moved from a 2 bedroom townhouse to a single family (only to learn that bushes grow a lot and that stinks) and we've each gotten masters degrees. Still work for the government, but fairly happily so.

This go around I've not gotten a launch system and probably won't for a while. I finally got a PS3 last Christmas and a new cpu this year. So I am still playing through games I missed out on there. Plus the whole baby thing may hurt my gaming time... Hopefully I'll find myself buying one in the next year, but there's no huge rush.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 02:37:05 AM »

In 2005 I was still married and still religious.  My kids were two and four, with all the capabilities of kids that age.  I rarely if ever played console games - I didn't get a generation 7 console until 2010.  I'd only been on disability a couple of years, and was still a pretty big mess.

In 2013 I'm 6 1/2 years divorced and an atheist.  My kids are ten and twelve, and gamers to such a degree that I have to share my stuff with them every night.  These days, most of my gaming is on consoles, mostly because I can't afford the PC upgrade routine anymore.  I have a much, much better sense of who I am and what that means, and have a solid understanding of how I came to be where I am.  Through that, while my life isn't objectively better, I've learned how to be happy and find contentment with what I actually have, rather than worrying about what I don't.  While I do still have bad days, overall I'm more content than I have been at any other time in my life.
KC

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 02:56:01 AM »

I got older and have a lot less time to pay video games now.  I actually read a lot more now because unlike gaming, I can have the same experience whether I am reading on my phone, tablet, or hardcopy
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 04:09:52 AM »

In between deployments in 2005 I believe, and I got both the PS3 and 360 a little after the launch window.  Had a serious girlfriend, who eventually became my wife. Since then I've been blown up, met a good bunch of you GT folk at PeteRock's party (which I am forever grateful for), and even made great friendships with Harkonis and Jarrodhk (who are now both my real life friends)
Now I'm retired, and ironically in the best shape of my life. I am that bored and the gym I work at is the only place to get the demons out.
I have been in a slump these past few months, which is why I haven't even opened up my new XBOX 1 or PS4. Once I get through it I will join everyone in the next gen.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 01:25:20 PM »

It took me about a year and a half to get on the next gen train last time around. I had a lot of time to play games and my wife tolerated them well enough. I had several consoles do the red ring of death thing a year later which was lame!

Now my kids are grown but I'm still married to the same great gal, 23 years next month, and I have almost zero time to play. I've put a paltry 2 hours into the new Call of Duty game since it was released. In the last 5 years I've written 7 novels and the more I write, the more time I have to dedicate to the craft and fulfilling publishing contracts. But that's not the only reason I don't play games as much as I used to. I just can't seem to get into games anymore. Skyrim was the exception - I think I lived in that game for a few months. In fact I'm scared to start it up again because weeks of my life will just disappear.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 01:38:32 PM »

Got the XBOX360 in October of 2006.  Had been in NC less than a year, had two children and a dog and was in year 5 of what would be a 9 year run at a consulting firm and was just weeks away from running my 2nd marathon.  First game I played was Dead Rising and it's still one of my favorite gaming experiences of the entire generation.

Now I've got 4 children, have been in NC almost 8 years, moved to a bigger house, lost the dog to cancer, have worked at 3 different companies since the lay off of 2010, found that I'm a pretty good Project Manager, have gained and lost 40 lbs to various degrees (right now at -30) and have the XB1 sitting in my closet either for a family Christmas gift or to be sold. Still TBD.

Gaming time has dwindled and dwindled, but is still in the mix.  There was a 9 month period where I did almost none.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 05:21:16 PM »

I skipped to the last page to simply say this:

I'm going to read and enjoy this post and contribute my own story.

I'm truly sorry my bout with the R&P forum may have disrupted my reputation here.  It's Politics and I'm simple not built to debate politics with our current state of affairs.

It hurts my heart to hear of folks my age losing their wife etc.  I am grateful for this forum and am thankful for the decade plus I've spent here.

Keep the stories coming and I'll contribute when I'm not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 06:04:54 PM »

In 2005 I was living in NC and working in an incredibly boring job. I moved down to Florida in 2007 to get a PhD in biology and somehow, I'm still here.  eek  It's been a great 6 years, though. I should be finishing up in the spring and in the process now of applying for postdocs, so I have no idea where I'll be a year from now. As for gaming, I don't play as much as I used to. I'll still occasionally get into a game and play the hell out of it for a few weeks, but those times seem to come months rather than weeks apart now. Over the last year especially I've gotten into fishing (I've got to take advantage of Florida while I'm still here!) and spent most of my free days out on the water in my somewhat newly purchased kayak.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 06:16:34 PM »

Nov 2005 UI had no kids but my wife had just told me she was pregnant. I bought a Mountain Dew free every 5 minutes 360 on ebay. Now I have 7 and 4 year old boys and I preordered the XB1 direct from Microsoft. Same job, bigger house in the same area, just more kids. biggrin

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: