http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 07:49:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How has the economic downturn affected you?  (Read 3715 times)
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2008, 09:23:40 PM »

Quote from: PaulBot on September 21, 2008, 08:43:35 PM

Just a couple days ago I looked at ticket prices to fly from Portland OR to Phoenix AZ to visit family at Christmas, and was shocked! $400-500 per person!!! It's half that if I fly in early December. The airlines are going to put themselves out of business with crap like that. I refuse to pay nearly $2,000 to fly my family to AZ for a week.

Ho ho ho...

Fewer seats available will raise ticket prices. If you want to fly get use to paying higher prices.
Victoria Raverna
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 01:53:26 AM »

Seem like thing is worse than what I thought before. The owner called me yesterday and we discussed solution to save the company. Seem like we ran out of options. It is possible that we'll just cut down to 2-3 personnels work from a single room to minimize cost, but if that solution doesn't seem to be able to save the company then I'll be unemployed next month. Since it is going to be a major Islam holiday (business close for one week) next month, I don't think it is a good time to look for job. My saving can only last about 2 months at my current monthly expense.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2008, 02:24:25 AM »

no raises in 4 years, not even for cost of living, so i am currently actively seeking new employment.  at least my wife is in a good solid industry with a raise every year per the contract and another for time hired.  i'll tell you, being an RN is one of the safest jobs around right now.  makes IT look like a seasonal job at the mall.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2008, 03:26:16 AM »

People will always get sick.  There will not be a shortage of jobs for medical personnel until the well after the next holocaust/superbug.  Current projections are that the U.S. population will exceed 400 million by 2050.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2008, 12:22:16 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 22, 2008, 02:24:25 AM

i'll tell you, being an RN is one of the safest jobs around right now.  makes IT look like a seasonal job at the mall.

That's why I switched after the tech bust in 2001. Now, after 4 years of slogging through school with a teacher's income, our futures are looking better than most of my friends/relatives.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2008, 12:31:22 PM »

I turned 40 this year, been in the IT industry 13 years now, worked for my current fortune 50 company for 8 years. I work for the financial business unit. All in all our company is doing fairly well. About 5 years ago we made a very big push get into foreign markets and that is really starting to pay off. While the US market have slowed down, some of the foreign ones are picking up the slack. So things are looking good for me. My wife works in accounting at a mid-sized company. She is not real confident about her job in the long-term, but thanks to paying off lots of debts (no credit cards, both cars paid off, mortgage within the next 5 years), we are in good enough shape that we can get by on just my salary if worse comes to worse.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2008, 06:37:04 PM »

Well, another area of the market that is safe is supervisor/managerial positions within Logistics and Distribution. You can't exactly outsource a distibution center to China or Mexico. I'm moving to a new company next Monday. My pay has gone up over 12% this year, and if you include the bonus eligibility (which this company has met every year) it may go up a whopping 22%.

The problem is I'm VERY burnt out in the field, even though I think I've got one of the best possible packages: relatively high pay, I work three 12 hour days (4 consecutive days off per week), and the company pays for an MBA. I just can't shake the exhaustion factor, and it angers me that I'm so mentally weak over the situation.

My girlfriend thinks my mental exhaustion comes from the fact that I am very introverted and quiet, but at work I'm in charge of 30 employees. That forces me to "wear" a personality that isn't my own. I really want to change fields altogether, but at 35 I feel like I'm on borrowed time and should already be properly nested in my career.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 06:39:01 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2008, 07:41:59 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 22, 2008, 06:37:04 PM

My girlfriend thinks my mental exhaustion comes from the fact that I am very introverted and quiet, but at work I'm in charge of 30 employees. That forces me to "wear" a personality that isn't my own. I really want to change fields altogether, but at 35 I feel like I'm on borrowed time and should already be properly nested in my career.

That's your parents' generation talking.  Go find you a nice computer job where at most you have to deal with your co-workers at most an hour a day. 

I speak from experience.  My father was 14 years into his 21 total with the Air Force by my age.  I've tried comparing myself to him, and it just doesn't work.  The economy isn't set up for 20 and a gold watch.  Modern expectations that I've seen are that the average worker is expected to change careers 7 times during their working years.  Given how "stable" economies are these days, I can believe it. 

I am on my second industry as a computer programmer.  I spent 11 years in the call centers, 3 of which as a Manager, at two different companies.  I am introverted like you, and managing employees was a mental drain.  Now that I'm a programmer, and a single one at that, I find that I have to work to get what little social interaction that I do need. 

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2008, 10:40:35 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 22, 2008, 07:41:59 PM

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 22, 2008, 06:37:04 PM

That's your parents' generation talking.  Go find you a nice computer job where at most you have to deal with your co-workers at most an hour a day. 

I speak from experience.  My father was 14 years into his 21 total with the Air Force by my age.  I've tried comparing myself to him, and it just doesn't work.  The economy isn't set up for 20 and a gold watch.  Modern expectations that I've seen are that the average worker is expected to change careers 7 times during their working years.  Given how "stable" economies are these days, I can believe it. 

I am on my second industry as a computer programmer.  I spent 11 years in the call centers, 3 of which as a Manager, at two different companies.  I am introverted like you, and managing employees was a mental drain.  Now that I'm a programmer, and a single one at that, I find that I have to work to get what little social interaction that I do need. 

Yeah, my girlfriend keeps telling me to get out of the field, and go into computers, psychology, consulting, etc. I'm great working with people one-on-one or in small groups, but as the numbers increase so does my stress level. The strange thing is, in my reviews I'm rated as the most "mentoring and approachable" manager. I really, really have a desire to go into police work after going with a friend on a few ride-alongs. I love helping people and he spends alot of time doing exactly that. Unfortunately, I'm at that age where departments probably won't look at me.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2008, 11:05:01 PM »

I call shenanigans.  Call the local PD and ask for the admission requirements.  Until they definitely rule you out, there's no reason for you not to look into it.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: