http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 03:23:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you feel about your ISP?  (Read 978 times)
Huw the Poo
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Please feed dog

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2011, 04:19:48 PM »

I'm curious about this.  As important as the internet is to me, it's absolutely vital that I have an ISP I can trust to do a good job.  After many years of being with various shitty companies that don't give a shit about customers, I'm happy to say that my latest - Zen Internet - is amazing.  They're much more expensive than 95% of ISPs in the UK, but worth every penny.  My connection speed is about as fast as I could possibly get on my particular ADSL line, support is always a quick phone call away, or IM, or even email!  Crazy that an email address for tech support is a rare thing in this country, but there you go.  And if any fault occurs on the BT-owned network, Zen will fight my corner tooth and nail until it's resolved and keep me informed every step of the way.  Most ADSL providers here wouldn't bother.

I feel like I'm just boasting, but I'm just really happy that I finally have a great ISP after so many years of appalling service.  So how about everyone else?  What makes a good ISP for you?  Do you pay a premium for a rock-solid service?  Would you if you had the choice?  How is their customer service when there is an outage?

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 04:22:14 PM »

No issues whatsoever. I have a 20/2 Mb line, and its practically never down. They are slightly expensive, but then again, I could go with lower speeds but its not so bad. And no cap on how much I want to download.

Its Stofanet, part of the Northern company Telia.

A new one
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 04:24:30 PM »

I have whatever the top is from Charter. My download speed is ridiculously fast and I have never had an issue with packet loss or performance. Love it!
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 04:27:53 PM »

Great speed, great reliability, shitty bandwidth caps.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 04:31:49 PM »

I hate mine, but I live in the  country and I am lucky to have DSL at all. I am limited strictly to verizon DSL and my DL speed tops out at 90k. It really sucks bad, but I have zero options unless I wanted to go the satellite route.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 04:37:04 PM »

I have AT&T U-Verse DSL, and I'm very happy.  I get 24Mbps down and 3Mbps up.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 04:39:54 PM »

I am with Virgin Huw,never had any problems with them and their 20meg connection,i do speedtest.net and it usually says 21meg or so,i did have trouble when i was with SKY/BT and had trouble with NTL before Virgin took over them,my mum has had a lot of trouble with TalkTalk and Tiscali,also,which is apparently the worse ISP in the UK,LOL

with Virgin i pay 60 a month for XL TV package(no Sports or Movies,but everything else,i get the 3 ESPN channels),line rental with free phone calls and the 20mb Internet

TBH though i have not heard of Zen Internet

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 04:49:22 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 14, 2011, 04:39:54 PM

TBH though i have not heard of Zen Internet

They're a small, Rochdale-based company who primarily cater for businesses.  They win award after award every year, and for very good reason.  smile

Steam profile
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 04:59:09 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on January 14, 2011, 04:31:49 PM

I hate mine, but I live in the  country and I am lucky to have DSL at all. I am limited strictly to verizon DSL and my DL speed tops out at 90k. It really sucks bad, but I have zero options unless I wanted to go the satellite route.

I'd keep an eye out on Sprint and Verizon's 4G network. They average 5mb down and 1mb up and with sprint there are no caps. Even Sprint and Verizon 3G (you can find unlimited plans through 3rd parties) will get you an average of 1.5mb down, sometimes higher.

Having said that I'm in a similar situation, the only internet I can get at my apartment is through CenturyLink (formerly Embarq) and due to my location, the fastest plan I could get was 3mb. It's a very consitent speed though, so I have no issues with online gaming or anything, but I wish I could get on their 10mb plan.

So far though, CenturyLink has been very reliable.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 05:02:38 PM »

$40 / month from Orbitel gets me a cable connection of 9Mbs down and 1.2Mbs up, confirmed at speedtest.net.
I've been pretty happy with the service.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 05:09:22 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 14, 2011, 04:59:09 PM

Quote from: Scraper on January 14, 2011, 04:31:49 PM

I'd keep an eye out on Sprint and Verizon's 4G network. They average 5mb down and 1mb up and with sprint there are no caps. Even Sprint and Verizon 3G (you can find unlimited plans through 3rd parties) will get you an average of 1.5mb down, sometimes higher.

Having said that I'm in a similar situation, the only internet I can get at my apartment is through CenturyLink (formerly Embarq) and due to my location, the fastest plan I could get was 3mb. It's a very consitent speed though, so I have no issues with online gaming or anything, but I wish I could get on their 10mb plan.

So far though, CenturyLink has been very reliable.

Are you talking about their wireless service? If so I have been patiently waiting for this to become a reality in my area as I seriously doubt they will ever upgrade their land lines near me.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »

A timely topic.  I'm on AT&T DSL (6Mbps down/512Kbps up), but about a hair's width away from switching to Charter.  The internet goes down consistently, and rarely meets the advertised speeds.  But the straw on the camel's back:  Our internet went out last night, and I spent an hour with AT&T tech support this morning talking to "Justin" (a female, natch).  

Here's the gist of the entire hour:

Justin: "OK Mr. Laner, please to be typing in your browser address bar '192 dot'"

Me: "Right.  192.168.1.254 - the modem IP you've given me four times already."

Justin: "168 dot"

Me: "Oh lord..."

---

Later on...

Justin: "Now click on the button that says'"Internet Connection Settings'"

Me: "OK, I'm in 'Internet Connection Settings'"

Justin: "Now, tell me what screen you're on"

Me: "Uh, 'Internet Connection Settings'"

Justin:  "Great."

(This happened numerous times... I would say what was on the screen, just to be immediately asked what was on the screen)

---

Her solution seemed to be if she changes my password enough times, and I reset my computer and modem enough times, it will start working.  I kept trying to explain that my computer's settings weren't the issue, as I have no internet connection on any of my computers and mobile devices, and everything was working fine last night, and nothing has changed in the meantime.

Finally after explaining all this:

Justin: "OK, let's try optimizing your browser"

Me: /RAGEQUIT
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 05:45:54 PM by Laner » Logged
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 05:50:44 PM »

Cox Cable has been fine. It occasionally goes out for a couple of minutes here and three and it costs more than I would like ($51!), but the speed is good. Plus, I get to watch ESPN3.com even though I don't subscribe to any cable television service, so I can't complain too much.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 05:53:56 PM »

I have Charter. they are great service wise. but they are WAY too damn expensive .

They now tell me I can have 60 mb down...for $135+..ya when pigs fly.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 05:54:14 PM »

love mine, it's Wide Open West.  wish they had a better DVR for cable though.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 06:15:20 PM »

Cox Cable never had any real problems with them other than short outages once in a while.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 06:38:51 PM »

Quote from: pingwrx on January 14, 2011, 06:15:20 PM

Cox Cable never had any real problems with them other than short outages once in a while.
Ditto for me. Although Cox now has these options for "Super Duper Mega Bandwidth Cable Internet" (or whatever it's called) for I assume gamers and people that constantly download gigantic files, I've been quite happy with whatever it is I have now.

My brother uses Verizon FiOS and seems happy with that.

The only odd thing is that while my local dial-up provider was very generous with web page hosting in terms of space, bandwidth and CGI support, Cox wasn't. Kind of irrelevant at this point but it bothered me a bit back in 2004 when I switched over.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 06:43:10 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 06:47:51 PM »

Time Warner.  Service-wise, I have no major issues.  But they keep raising rates on things.  My DVR service is going up by $2.  At the moment, they're still cheaper than switching to U-Verse, but I'm seriously getting close to calling them and threatening to move if it continues.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 08:06:14 PM »

Mine could definitely be better, but I have no choice since they're the only cable company in town. Lots of other small ISPs, but they're merely resellers of the same service using what the cable company has put in place, so going from one ISP to another wouldn't make a bit of difference in terms of speed or quality of signal.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 08:14:32 PM »

A couple years ago a company named Surewest deployed their service in my area. They ran a fiber line into my house which services my cable and internet (could do phone too but I don't need a home phone).

Cable service is decent, but for Internet I have a 25mb/25mb connection for less than $50 a month - and that's just middle tier service - i could upgrade all the way up to their high end which is like 60mb/60mb but that would cost over $150 a month (so unlikely to happen anytime soon)
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 08:16:40 PM »

Comcast?  They can suck it.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 08:48:36 PM »

It's fine, for now. Be happy with unlimited or really high caps. I'm pretty sure if you see what MetroPCS is doing for wireless it will trickle down to the major ISPs. I know the supposed FCC rules are supposed to block it but the ISPs will shove enough money at them and the FCC will bend over for it.

Going to be 70 dollars for a 250gig cap and 10 bucks extra for Youtube and netflix.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »

I have Comcast 25 down/3 up (I think) and have never had any problems.  I can count the number of times it's gone down in 10 years on one hand, and it's always back up in a couple hours.  No idea if there are any caps, as I don't stream much or download large files.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 11:46:58 PM »

I have U-Verse 6/1.5 service, and it's plenty fast for Netflix streaming and pretty much anything else we need to do, and we've never had one outage.

I'm still trying to convince my wife to pay $5 more for 12 down, but it's a tough sell. frown
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 11:54:51 PM »

i've been with Cox for 4.5 years now and don't have any complaints...fast, stable service and can't remember a single outage in that time.  i'm paying $59/month for their Premier service which is rated at 24Mbps up and 4Mbps down, but i actually seem to do better than that a lot of times.  i just ran a test at Speedtest.net and got 26/8Mbps...plenty fast for my needs icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 12:49:17 AM »

We graduated from Earthlink dial-up to Earthlink DSL quite a few years ago. The quality was merely OK and when problems struck it was hard to isolate them to EL, Verizon's phone line, or our own router/computers. EL's tech support was adequate but we needed it more often than I liked.

A few months ago we made the leap to cable internet via our local electric company. We have the triple-play phone/cable TV/internet package for $128/month (which is what the $99 package costs with all the added fees and taxes). I like getting service from a local, taxpayer-owned utility. Since they only have about 4,000 customers it's easy to get a local human on the phone when I have a question or complaint.

Reliability was good until the xmas weekend blizzard knocked out service to a big section of town for more than two days, but they did at least keep us updated as to repair status. I'm going to assume that that fluke will not be repeated anytime soon. I could get comparable service for comparable money from one of their two local competitors (Verizon and Comcast) -- Verizon tries hard to pitch their FiOS as superior -- but I'm happy to support a local nonprofit company instead, knowing that my payments are staying in our town rather than enriching stockholders.

Our utility was one of the first municipal electric companies in the US, founded by Thomas Watson (Edison's assistant).

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 02:31:04 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on January 15, 2011, 12:49:17 AM

We graduated from Earthlink dial-up

What is this thing you speak of? Is it from the before time?

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 04:23:56 AM »

Quote from: Moliere on January 15, 2011, 02:31:04 AM

Quote from: Ironrod on January 15, 2011, 12:49:17 AM

We graduated from Earthlink dial-up

What is this thing you speak of? Is it from the before time?

Our relationship with EL goes so far back that we are paying them $4 a month to keep our old email addresses alive. With my wife's disinterest in updating old accounts to her new address, we will probably continue to pay EL $4 a month until either we die or they do.

I found out last night that our $4 also keeps my vintage 1998 personal website online. 2700 visits in just 13 years!  icon_lol

You can see why dropping EL after >13 years (I didn't put that web page up right away) was a big move for us.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 04:27:37 AM by Ironrod » Logged

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 04:27:04 AM »

I'm on a local DSL provider.

It's almost incredibly slow, but rock solid reliable. On the other hand, cable in the area is way faster (20 megabit is what most people get) but where we live it goes down a couple times a month.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, 06:31:38 AM »

DSL provider.  Tolerable speeds and relatively stable. They aren't awful.  I consider this a WIN in ISP providers.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2011, 08:52:37 AM »

I use Clearwire, which is the wireless internet company. I use them because where I live isn't wired for cable internet and the DSL speeds are bad because I am too far from their nearest booster point.  In theory I could try one of the mobile internet services, but I don't think I'd see much improvement in speed or price.

As for performance, it's ok.  Speed Test just put me at 5.76 down, 0.48 up, and a ping of 143.  I should note that I'm on the edge of their coverage area so I don't get the advertised numbers.

Stability is solid - when it goes down it's only for very short periods and usually only late at night (which means it might be maintenance related or something).  When it rains a lot performance drops, which isn't the best aspect considering where I live.  icon_lol

It runs about $40/mo. but I don't care because my ex-roommate still hasn't bothered to switch over the service to my name and hasn't bothered to contact me about paying since he left over 3 months ago.  ninja

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:58:25 AM by Sarkus » Logged

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2011, 07:49:26 PM »

I have Cox as well and I've been happy with it ever since I got it. Also, unlike some other states in the US, I have an alternative provider that's pretty much as good (Qwest DSL), so this is why I don't have any complaints - we have competition.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, 07:53:59 PM »

Isn't there any legislation in the USA to promote competition?

Steam profile
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 10:54:03 PM »

I have Comcast, and use about 350GB of bandwidth a month between Netflix streaming and Anime downloads. Considering that their policy is to ban anyone using over 250GB, I can't complain. Also, in 3 years I've had only 1 brief interruption in service.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2011, 04:58:13 AM »

service is great, modem is awful.  i've had to call in to have the ip reset half dozen times in just a year.  damn thing just won't renew like it should.  which brings me to the second part.  their tier 1 is only slightly ahead of space monkeys on the intuitive discovery tests.  i've had to explain what mac cloning is so many times i decided to skip that and lie when they ask me if the router is plugged in.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: