http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 05:29:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you deal with your boss in this situation?  (Read 560 times)
Larraque
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2008, 10:20:52 PM »

Ok, here's the problem.

I did some work for a customer a week ago. There was definately still some things that could be done but there was some decisions that I had to make that I wasn't comfortable making. I sent the customer an e-mail and explained the situation. I never received a response, and kind of forgot about it. I reformatted my work computer that weekend and lost all my e-mail so I did not have my record of the work done.

Well, anyways, my boss asks me Thursday to get a copy of the customer's database. I have to jump through a couple of hoops to get it as he's very persistent to see it. I asked why he wanted to look but got "I just want to see it".

Friday was a pretty rough day; On top of that I had a problem with another customer from a few weeks prior that I couldn't deal with - we re-sell an application and make modifications; the error was 'access violation' occasionally accompanied with 'database connection failure' with no other real information, that was inconsistent and pretty much impossible to figure out what's going on. I escalated it to my other boss who never bothered to respond after two weeks. So of course when it happened again - what am I going to do? I look like a fool while he 'downgrades' it to my co-worker and mentions something about a log file for database connections - how have you never told me about this??

So today I get an e-mail about the work I did a couple weeks ago stating that there's more that can be done. Yeah, obviously there can be - I did tell the customer as much. Not being given the instructions on how to drill down further means I can't really drill down further...

But if my boss is unwilling to explain the situation to me, and the customer is going over my heads like this, what's the deal? It seems to me that my boss has lost faith in my work, and has no interest in communicating with me these problems. I'm at the point where I'm starting to believe I'm going to be canned - so I've started to look for a new job. It's probably an over-reaction, but I always keep my resume up to date anyways so it's not really excess work. But I enjoy this job for the most part.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm pissed off, frustrated, and tired of looking like a fool.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 10:24:32 PM »

Can you ask your boss for a sit down and just ask him if he has an issue with you or your work?  sometimes a direct approach works wonders, and your boss may appreciate you taking steps to smooth over perceived problems in the workplace. 

if not, well...you probably don't want to work in that kind of environment anyway.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 01:19:38 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 27, 2008, 10:24:32 PM

Can you ask your boss for a sit down and just ask him if he has an issue with you or your work?  sometimes a direct approach works wonders, and your boss may appreciate you taking steps to smooth over perceived problems in the workplace. 

if not, well...you probably don't want to work in that kind of environment anyway.

YEah +1

I would just tell talk to your boss about the situation.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 01:35:43 PM »

Whatever you end up doing, remember this:  PAPER TRAIL, PAPER TRAIL, PAPER TRAIL!

I realize the format/ email issue has removed some of the "paper" but you should start by writing down everything you can remember from any of the pertinent events.  Also, start thinking of other past situations that may have been similar, i.e., is your boss possibly trying to set you up to be canned?  Write down everything you can remember now, and keep copies of everything from here on.  Speak to anyone else involved, if possible, take notes on what they say.  When you have the info ready as you talk to the boss, it can be intimidating (or impressive) to see you calm and well prepared.

Try not to burn your bridges if you do decide to leave - though law prevents employers from dropping a secret dime on former employees, you know it happens, especially when the boss is ticked off about it.

Good Luck!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 02:55:56 PM »

I spoke to my boss. Everything seems to be ok. I was not in a good mood / I was pretty confrontational during the discussion. Really the problem comes right down to "I wasn't trained to properly perform the task that I was asked to do". So I did it wrong.

I think he understands my point of view. If not, well - maybe I'll have a new job lined up before then and won't have to worry.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 03:08:38 PM »

One thing I always found works well is start your meeting/discussion with your boss with "I thought your expectation of me in regards to this was blah blah blah. What were/are your expectations?" 1. Expectations is a good buzz words that managers seem to eat up. 2. It takes away a lot of the blame portion or atleast paints it in a more professional/courteous light and keeps them from getting defensive.

After that just follow it up with something about "miscommunication" and all should be ok.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: