http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 07:45:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you back up iTunes?  (Read 970 times)
Graham
Managing Editor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 20, 2008, 04:04:06 AM »

My wife has a bunch of stuff saved on iTunes on our laptop.  Unfortunately, I believe that the notebooks is going to be giving up the ghost in the not too distant future.  (It's a bit over three and a half years old, but it still sucks.)  What do I need to do to save the stuff that my wife bought on iTunes?  Her iPod is synced up, but we want to make sure everything is OK and we don't lose anything.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 04:37:03 AM »

you just need to copy the itunes directory to a cd or dvd.  then just import the songs from the cd or dvd using the add folder... option.  You will need to be online if you have purchased songs in order to reauthorize them.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 05:51:37 PM »

If they are on the iPod, then shouldn't you just be able to get them back off of the iPod and onto a different computer?  I can do that with my Zune...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 05:56:24 PM »

you adjust your mirrors and put it into reverse.  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 06:13:47 PM »

Quote from: kratz on May 20, 2008, 05:51:37 PM

If they are on the iPod, then shouldn't you just be able to get them back off of the iPod and onto a different computer?  I can do that with my Zune...
You can do this, but it requires a little trickery -

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,18011.msg237459.html#msg237459
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 06:18:47 PM »

So there isn't a feature in iTunes to actually do this for you.  That's brilliant!  retard

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 07:01:19 PM »

Quote from: dangerballs on May 20, 2008, 04:37:03 AM

you just need to copy the itunes directory to a cd or dvd.  then just import the songs from the cd or dvd using the add folder... option.

I just copy the entire "My Music\iTunes" folder to an external hard drive, and then copy it back in its entirety if needed. I think the metadata (play counts, ratings, etc.) gets lost if the Add Folder method is used.
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 07:07:11 PM »

Quote from: zinckiwi on May 20, 2008, 07:01:19 PM

I just copy the entire "My Music\iTunes" folder to an external hard drive, and then copy it back in its entirety if needed. I think the metadata (play counts, ratings, etc.) gets lost if the Add Folder method is used.

I do something similar. I use a program called SmartSync that copies my iTunes folder (as well as other files that I want to back up) to my file server.  This is automated at 2:00 AM every night.  I also have a copy of SmartSync on my file server that makes an additional backup at 4:00 AM every night to an external USB drive.

Call me paranoid, but this ensures that I have multiple copies of my files.. smile

You can find SmartSync here: http://www.smartsync.com/
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 07:30:59 PM »

Quote from: Graham on May 20, 2008, 06:18:47 PM

So there isn't a feature in iTunes to actually do this for you.  That's brilliant!  retard

ITunes would rather wipe my IPod Shuffle when I plug it into my work computer to charge than let me keep my songs.  eek
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 07:37:48 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on May 20, 2008, 07:30:59 PM

Quote from: Graham on May 20, 2008, 06:18:47 PM

ITunes would rather wipe my IPod Shuffle when I plug it into my work computer to charge than let me keep my songs.  eek

somethingsomething... DRM... somethingsomething.

gellar
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 08:10:24 PM »

You can also export your library to a file. This will essentially keep your library, including playlists and songs bought on itunes, which makes re-authorizing much easier. Do this along with the backup of the whole directory.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 03:21:22 AM »

Quote from: zinckiwi on May 20, 2008, 07:01:19 PM

I spent $99 for a 500GB external HD (Staples), copied My Music directory in its entirety and also copied all of my digital pictures for good measure.

Previously, I had been doing the library backup from within Itunes, but my library of stuff is large enough that I'm using several DVDs and I still didn't have a good plan for the pictures.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 03:30:14 AM »

Buy a Mac and use Time Machine? smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: