http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 09:41:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do tell your manager to do her job  (Read 723 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »

My new manager just "ask" me to summarize two RFP , Request for Proposal, for two companies we are considering farming some work out.  I quoted ask because she basically stated she has two many others things to do and I need to handle this for her.  I informed her I'm very uncomfortable handling this since this a contract issue I have no experience in this area.   

This was kicked down to her by our Sr. Director since this was what she  was hired to do.

Now I consider myself a team player but in this particular instance I feel like I am out of my depth and the quality of the summaries most likely will not meet the quality of work I normally produce

Looking for suggestion

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 03:01:04 PM »

this is the kind of thing that can burn you no matter what you do.   disgust

Making it clear to her that you are uncomfortable doing it is definitely the best start though imo.  Next would either be being more assertive to her that you really don't think you should be doing it, or going to the next in the chain.  This is where you can have everything blow up in your face.  Business life sucks.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 03:21:51 PM »

Send the summaries to her, CC the Sr. Director.  icon_twisted

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 03:26:52 PM »

How big are these RFP's? If they're anything like the RFP's I've dealt with in business, then it shouldn't be difficult. It's a book report, just bullet-point the important topics that would be relevant to your company. If they're RFP's like I've dealt with in academia, however, then screw that.

But I would definitely do it and not tell the manager "to do her job." If it is her job then the quality of your work is going to fall on her, not you. Also, if you ever want a promotion you need to demonstrate that you can do the work above you and/or you can do new things. As a manager myself, if I asked someone to do something, even if it wasn't something he'd normally do, and he refused to do it, that person would forever be labeled "drone" in my eyes.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:30:47 PM by cheeba » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 03:31:54 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 02, 2011, 02:13:00 PM

My new manager just "ask" me to summarize two RFP , Request for Proposal, for two companies we are considering farming some work out.  I quoted ask because she basically stated she has two many others things to do and I need to handle this for her.  I informed her I'm very uncomfortable handling this since this a contract issue I have no experience in this area.  

This was kicked down to her by our Sr. Director since this was what she  was hired to do.

Now I consider myself a team player but in this particular instance I feel like I am out of my depth and the quality of the summaries most likely will not meet the quality of work I normally produce

Looking for suggestion

Hack her account and send your summary to the Sr. Director using the same skill you used to write the text above. (emphasis mine)

Also, is this account an alt for Remus West? slywink

In all seriousness, I would do the work and make it clear you did the work within the body. I would not go above the managers head unless I wanted to either leave in the next two years or had a good rapport with the manager above - even still, it would then seem like you are complaining rather than helping the team.

I would also make sure it was included in my Performance Appraisal material that I have taken on challenging work beyond my role. Rewards come to those who do the heavy lifting, and try not to grunt when they do it. Being consistent in that gets rewards.

If the work itself is so far beyond you, you could go to your manager and ask if there was some other task that they're performing that you could take on as you are not aware of the weight of the factors in the RFP, and feel that you wouldn't want to do it only to have someone else have to re-do it because of their improved perspective.

I would only ask once though, and then live with their decision - that is their job, after all - to make decisions and delegate work. Hiding behind "job description" isn't always the smartest play.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 03:40:31 PM »

Management is about delegation.  Seems like she's got that part down. 

If the work doesn't meet the Sr. Director's desired level of quality, it falls on her.  She may try to throw you under the bus, but if you've advised her (in writing) that this is the first time you've performed a task, you have some shielding. 

Do the best you can.  It's either a feather in your cap if it works out or an opportunity for growth if it doesn't.  And if things go pear-shaped afterwards, at least you can add that to your list of skills when you interview at the next job. smile

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 04:10:45 PM »

Through interpretive dance.  Works every time. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 10:46:26 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 02, 2011, 02:13:00 PM

My new manager just "ask" me to summarize two RFP , Request for Proposal, for two companies we are considering farming some work out.  I quoted ask because she basically stated she has two many others things to do and I need to handle this for her.  I informed her I'm very uncomfortable handling this since this a contract issue I have no experience in this area.   

This was kicked down to her by our Sr. Director since this was what she  was hired to do.

Looking for suggestion

1) Re-state via email you are uncomfortable performing this with read receipt enabled to cover your ass if something backfires.
2) Do the RFPs anyway.  Send them to her AND someone you trust to backup that YOU did the work and not her.  I've seen enough bosses take credit for crap for which they had not done a lick of work, including just reading over the material, and taking full credit for said work.
3) If the RFPs workout - you can then use them in a future performance review to justify raises, promotion, etc.
4) The caveat to all of the above - if they don't workout it can backfire if the RFPs aren't that good, but you have the out with the "uncomfortable/first time" claim and could request further training to improve those skills.

Just some thoughts.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 11:03:04 PM »

Quote from: Shel Silverstein
“If you have to dry the dishes
(Such an awful boring chore)
If you have to dry the dishes
('Stead of going to the store)
And you drop one on the floor
Maybe they won't let you
Dry the dishes anymore”
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 11:38:09 AM »

Thanks for the advice.  I am doing the summaries and will probably be done by Friday. 

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 02:21:44 PM »

Paper trail... that way, if the S hits the F, you can point her supervisors to the emails that state you were not comfortable with this, and why, and her responses to your concerns.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 04:02:20 PM »

Quote from: kratz on November 02, 2011, 11:03:04 PM

Quote from: Shel Silverstein
“If you have to dry the dishes
(Such an awful boring chore)
('Stead of going to the store)
And you drop one on the floor
Maybe they won't let you
Dry the dishes anymore”

now that was awesome
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 02:13:23 PM »

Embrace the challenge and do the best you can.  Succeed or fail you will learn from it and be better for it.

You never know what skill you learn now will open a critical door later.

In the awesome words from Heartbreak Ridge:

"Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome!"

Hit it head on and knock the fucker out of the park.

I could go all day LOL.

Really though, grab the ball and run.  Worst thing that could happen is you fail and we do that all the time.

Pig
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: