http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 03:51:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I get out of my contract with Sprint?  (Read 1619 times)
Eel Snave
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2008, 05:11:45 PM »

I hate Sprint so very much.  Their service has gotten steadily worse over the last couple of months, and I still have almost a year left on my contract.  If I back out now, they'll make me pay $150.  I don't want to pay that.  They're awful.  However, I want to keep our phone numbers.  How do I do this?
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 06:21:12 PM »

I'm afraid you don't have any recourse. I got out of Sprint for AT&T and the Iphone but I was in the last 5 days of my Sprint contract. They don't penalize you if you cancel within the last 30 days, but you're right smack in the middle of that contract.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 06:27:58 PM »

Hostages.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 06:29:53 PM »

PM'ed

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 06:34:35 PM »

Fake your own death.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 06:36:40 PM »

'material adverse effect' is your friend.  unfortunately, i looked through my source of these things and found that sprint hasn't opened the can of worms for this recently. 

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 06:49:54 PM »

If they've changed their pricing for anything recently, you can use that to get out of it as they are changing the terms of your existing contract.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 06:56:24 PM »

Find a residential area that doesn't get any coverage and convince them that you moved there.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 07:11:58 PM »

Have you tried calling or emailing Sprint about the coverage? (I'm guessing that's what you meant be service?)

Reason I ask is because I emailed them about my parents house in South Georgia having poor coverage and no EVDO (3g internet) they setup a ticket for the area. I just visited last week (been about 3 months since I was last there - and coverage was almost non existant) and to my suprise coverage not only increased but they also lit up EVDO!

Still wanting the iphone, I went to cancel Sprint (still have about a year left on my contract as well) and was willing to pay the ETF but the retentions department ended up offering me an Instinct at new customer pricing instead. Took their offer and now I have a phone about as close as you'll get to the iphone considering it's Sprint.

If you do decide to cancel I'd suggest lining up your new carrier and what phones you want now. Then when you're ready, call up Sprint and talk to retentions. Let them know exactly what the problem is and it's a given they're going to try and work with you or offer you something to keep your business. If you don't like the offer, cancel anyway since Sprint bills a month in advance and it won't cancel until your billing cycle is up. Then with the new carrier, immediately start your new contract and when you do, port your number(s) to them. Anytime you port a number it automatically cancels the other carrier.

As far as getting out ETF free, the last material change was their change in data rates. Data card and phone as modem customers got hit with a 5gb monthly cap (used to be unlimited) so you could cancel ETF free if you had one of those plans. Next best try as already mentioned would be to move, or tell them you've moved, and you have no native sprint coverage. (They might ask for proof.)
Finally, try setting your phone(s) to "Roam Only" so that you don't use Sprint's network for voice or data anymore. Use ALL of your minutes and data while roaming. Give it a month or two, and then call in to cancel again. They'll see you're costing them a fortune by roaming because, as you told them already, have moved and have no native sprint coverage. More than likely they'll cancel with that ETF free. And if they don't, just keep the roaming up until they cancel you instead. (Usually with 30 days notice of their intent to cancel which is plenty of time to find a new carrier and port your existing numbers, and 99% of the time when sprint cancels you it's ETF free as well.)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 07:28:58 PM »

I'm just tired of dealing with Sprint.  I mean, I get bad coverage, my phone is dying, there's dead spots all over their supposedly "covered" areas, we get dropped calls, and we've also had strange charges appear on our bill, like text messages to Canada.  Their data rate is 3 cents a KB as opposed to $1.99/MB for Verizon.  Plus, the company is hemorrhaging money like someone's lighting bales of cash on fire in the lobby, and all of it combines to make me nervous.

On top of that, Verizon's messaging plans include text messaging to Mexico, which my wife does a lot of (we know, we looked it up) and I get great discounts on it through work.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 07:33:07 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on July 24, 2008, 07:28:58 PM

I'm just tired of dealing with Sprint.  I mean, I get bad coverage, my phone is dying, there's dead spots all over their supposedly "covered" areas, we get dropped calls, and we've also had strange charges appear on our bill, like text messages to Canada.  Their data rate is 3 cents a KB as opposed to $1.99/MB for Verizon.  Plus, the company is hemorrhaging money like someone's lighting bales of cash on fire in the lobby, and all of it combines to make me nervous.

On top of that, Verizon's messaging plans include text messaging to Mexico, which my wife does a lot of (we know, we looked it up) and I get great discounts on it through work.

If it's that good and you'll save that much money in the long run, why don't you just pay the ETF and get it over with?
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 08:05:06 PM »

Because I don't want to!!!  crybaby  icon_lol
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 08:57:47 PM »

Re-check the cancellation policy.  Some companies' cancellation fees are prorated over the length of the contract, so your $150 fee may only be $75 at this point.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 09:47:04 PM »

Actually, I called and asked.  It's $150.

However, my boss had a good point.  I should call them and say, "Look, I've been with you for 3 years.  Your service has gotten steadily worse.  We want out with no fees.  What can you do for us?"  It's worth a shot.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 09:53:37 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on July 24, 2008, 09:47:04 PM

However, my boss had a good point.  I should call them and say, "Look, I've been with you for 3 years.  Your service has gotten steadily worse.  We want out with no fees.  What can you do for us?"  It's worth a shot.

you could just keep escalating the call until you get someone high enough that just doesn't care and waives the fee.  Just keep asking for the supervisor's boss.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 10:11:11 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 24, 2008, 09:53:37 PM

Quote from: Eel Snave on July 24, 2008, 09:47:04 PM

you could just keep escalating the call until you get someone high enough that just doesn't care and waives the fee.  Just keep asking for the supervisor's boss.

My Buddy did this, was emailing VPs and other Executives, had issues fixed in days and then when they switched the billing style and system a few months back he used that as a reason the bail out.

I have Sprint, I am eyeing a new contract in March since mine expires in April. I have unlimited Data however, and that's awesome since I don't pay ANY extra. I have such a retardedly awesome plan that I may just get an Instinct on the cheap for renewing.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 10:49:22 PM »

Remember Sprint is going to try and get you on one of their "everything" plans in order to get the Instinct.. other than the horrible (and I mean that in the worst possible way) web browser they included, it's a pretty good phone. GPS is rock solid!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 03:05:39 AM »

So, I called the cancellation line, and kept this lady on the phone for about 20 minutes.  She couldn't do anything, which was understandable, but I wanted to keep her on the phone for a bit.  She got exasperated while I kept my voice quiet and pleading, almost to say, "It's reasonable if you do this.  I'm not angry, I just want your help.  Can you do this for me?"

So she routed me to her supervisor after getting tired of me.  He said he was the shift supervisor and that he couldn't help me.  I said, "Well, either way I'm going to get this.  It doesn't matter how long you wait, I'm going to be able to cancel without the ETF."  He said, "No, that's not possible.  Have a good day," and hung up.

So I called back.

I got to the department and asked for his supervisor's name, and they said they didn't know who it was.  Eventually, she said that they had a Team Lead by that name, and he wanted to talk to me.  He picked up the phone said, "We're not going to help you," and hung up again.

So I called back again.  I restated my case, a different rep gave me some things to try which we've tried, and I bade her good night.

So my next step is to call the corporate office tomorrow.  Getting hung up on twice by the customer service line doesn't bode well for them, especially because I was a perfect gentleman the entire time.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 03:39:38 AM »

If you can not get a decent resolution by phone, send a letter to the correspondence address on your bill and add the line "Office of the President."  There will be an executive complaint department.  If you have repeatedly asked and given them the opportunity to resolve the issue and they have failed, they should be reasonable to your request.  If for some reason that fails, the next step is to forward all of your correspondence sent and received on to the FCC, BBB, and your state attorney general.

I worked for Customer Care for a different provider for three years and this kind of thing would get attention quickly, not only an in-depth review of every person who touched your account to see if they handled it properly.  If you are willing to negotiate, offer to compromise on a prorated ETF.  That was my stock in trade as a CC manager.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 01:38:19 PM »

So, I called the corporate office.  They're sending in the Escalation Team.  Why is this so hard?  mad
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 01:48:47 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on July 25, 2008, 01:38:19 PM

So, I called the corporate office.  They're sending in the Escalation Team.  Why is this so hard?  mad

Because they make it hard. They don't want you to cancel. They lure you into these contracts - free phone, etc, lock you in, and BAM - welcome to pay for a bad service for two years ville. Population: You.

It's a shady practice, honestly. If a company is proud of their service and stands by it, they wouldn't need to pull this kind of maneuver, but I don't know a single cell phone company that doesn't.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 02:46:47 PM »

So, what exactly is your problem with your 'service' anyway? Phone problems, or is customer service just crap?

I know that Sprint's CS is lousy - thankfully I've never had to use them over the 3 or 4 years I've been a customer. But you can't beat their rates, which is why I stay.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 03:38:02 PM »

Well, it WAS just the phone service, but now I'm mad at everything.  I get dropped calls, and I'm in one of their supposedly good areas.  I drop calls like mad, and it hasn't been until recently that this has started happening.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 03:48:17 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on July 25, 2008, 03:38:02 PM

Well, it WAS just the phone service, but now I'm mad at everything.  I get dropped calls, and I'm in one of their supposedly good areas.  I drop calls like mad, and it hasn't been until recently that this has started happening.

Unless the phone is going bad, which happens, towers get moved and reprogrammed.  Can you take your phone in to get it updated?  Most phones should be updated every six months or so.

At the same time I despise Sprint CS.  They are the worst.  I wish you the best of luck.  I keep telling myself I'm going to get rid of them but their pricing and phone service has kept me a customer for almost two years after I vowed I was going to quit.  Maybe I'll quit next time.  I really ought to go over to pre paid.

Oh and samsung phones are garbage as far as I Know.  If you have one (which a lot of Sprint phones are) then you've got injury on top of insult.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 04:37:59 PM »

Agreed, customer service is horrible with Sprint. Half of it is outsourced to the Phillipines where they don't even have Sprint! That's one of the few things I miss about T-Mobile, was their excellent customer service. (Alltel is right up there as well.)
But for the data (T-Mobile still lacks a real 3g network while the others have had 3g around for years now) I had to sacrifice good CS.

Luckily, I'm out of contract with Spring right now so I'm free to go wherever I want. I almost cancelled last night and was going to port over to either a GoPhone or Virgin Mobile. I like the idea of not being in a contract but still having a monthly plan.. then I realized, that's exactly what I have with Sprint right now. So I can wait a bit, especially to see what happens with the Virgin Mobile acquision of Helio.

Eel, you may still want to give Sprint the benefit of the doubt. Have you tried emailing ecare yet about the dropped calls? Every time you get a dropped call, call up *2, select technical support, and I think it's option 1 that is a credit for dropped calls. Every time you do that, it's letting them know the tower and area where the dropped calls are happening. On top of that, sending emails every week or so with your exact problem area will further help.
And if it is the phones, call up Sprint and choose "Cancel". Tell them your exact problem and you are looking to leave. Almost a guarentee they'll hook you up with a real sweet deal on some new phones rather than lose you as a customer.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 06:00:55 PM »

They've never offered me one red cent of compensation.  No one's ever said "We don't want to lose you as a customer."  I'm incredibly pissed now because I got hung up on by their escalation department.  This is ridiculous.  I don't ever raise my voice and this is how I get treated.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 06:14:44 PM »

Well, in their defense, you are under a *contract* that you willingly entered, with compensation (subsidized phone cost), and with a 30 day opt out/refund period.  They are not obligated to do bupkis for you.

That does not excuse them for hanging up on you and acting like general idiots, but there does seem to be a misplaced sense of entitlement here.  You do have a course of action - leave and pay the $150.  Clearly they aren't going to do anything for you and really is your frustration worth the $150 to get out and hopefully be happier elsewhere?

gellar
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 06:18:10 PM »

Wasn't Sprint the one that was in the news for "cutting" their customers for "complaining" too much?

A yes, it was them

So maybe you just need to complain more.  I seriously hate my Sprint line that my company switched me to.  I've had for 2 or 3 months now - and can't stand the number of calls I drop.  Not to mention that when it doesn't drop there is this stupid echo in background, and weird buzzing noise too.  It seems strange that I get a full bar, with the "Ev" logo - and then as soon as I call it drops me to 1 bar and the logo switches to "1x".  I hate this phone - I wish I could go back to my T-Mobile.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2008, 06:20:53 PM »

Man....I am telling you....go into the store.  Tell them you want to renew your contract.  Rip up the old one and sign a new two years.  Don't get a new phone or anything and then cancel in the first 30 days.  The little agent in the store will be so happy to get the contract performance number they will sign you to a new contract.  Then you just turn around and drop it....

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2008, 06:24:56 PM »

Quote from: Zero on July 25, 2008, 06:18:10 PM

It seems strange that I get a full bar, with the "Ev" logo - and then as soon as I call it drops me to 1 bar and the logo switches to "1x".  I hate this phone - I wish I could go back to my T-Mobile.

The 1x thing is normal.  When you activate a phone call, the necessary frequencies to run 3G EVDO are being used by voice, so the phone drops to 1x RTT for data.  It's actually nice that you can still get data while being on a phone call, something I'm pretty sure you can't do on T-Mo and I can't do with my first gen iPhone.  I think it's a 3G tech feature.

gellar
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2008, 06:40:25 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 25, 2008, 06:24:56 PM

Quote from: Zero on July 25, 2008, 06:18:10 PM

It seems strange that I get a full bar, with the "Ev" logo - and then as soon as I call it drops me to 1 bar and the logo switches to "1x".  I hate this phone - I wish I could go back to my T-Mobile.

The 1x thing is normal.  When you activate a phone call, the necessary frequencies to run 3G EVDO are being used by voice, so the phone drops to 1x RTT for data.  It's actually nice that you can still get data while being on a phone call, something I'm pretty sure you can't do on T-Mo and I can't do with my first gen iPhone.  I think it's a 3G tech feature.

gellar

Is the signal strength dropping normal too?  I see that I have like 6 bars (full set) -and then when I start a call it drops down to 1 or 2 bars...that's when I start encountering problems.  It either drops my phone call or I get lots of noises in the connection.  About half the time it drops my call and the rest (30 to 40 percent of time) I get a lot of noise on the connection.  Only in 10 to 20 percent of the time does my call go through and everything is fine.  I do like that I can get data when I'm on a phone call - but man, when the call isn't connecting well, that email/data I'm getting isn't worth it for me.  I also have talked to a bunch of the other folks that got switched over, and they are all encountering the same problem, and we are all not on the same type of phones, but all have been switched over to Sprint.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 06:46:21 PM »

Honestly I don't remember - I haven't had a Sprint phone for almost a year now.  It's funny, Sprint's reception was one of the things I missed the most when I first switched to AT&T - in my area it was just plain better.

gellar
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 07:33:02 PM »

I ended up just telling them I moved.  It gnaws at me, but what are you going to do?  If I want to fix my phone, that will cost money.  If I want to drop a line, they'll charge a cancellation fee.  Anything I do, they want money, so now they're not getting one cent. Nyah.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 07:52:07 PM »

i've had Sprint service for seven years now without a single problem...has worked pretty much everywhere i've needed (in three different states), and i can honestly say that i've never had a dropped call unless i was someplace with a really poor signal to start (and that only a few times in seven years).  i guess it just goes to show that everyone's experience is different...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: