http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 08:06:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How are the Ipods?  (Read 2001 times)
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2004, 03:13:40 AM »

My CD player doesn't work well any longer and its time I evolved from that obsolete medium known as the compact disc and move into MP3's. I'm thinking about getting an Ipod but $300 is a lot to spend considering I also plan on getting nice headphones. To those who have one, how do you like it? Are there alternatives to the Ipod?
ravenvii
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 03:18:19 AM »

There's also the iPod Mini, which are $250. They aren't good deals $-for-GB, but if you don't have that many songs, the 4 GB HD's can be sufficient. If you do decide to go the Mini route, take my advice and don't buy one now - the current models are almost a year old, and I'll be willing to bet $10 that Apple will release a new revision coming Mac World San Francisco (in January).

Yeah there's other alternatives to the iPod - Dell and Creative makes MP3 players too. But if you want to use iTunes and the iTunes Music Store, the iPod is a must. And it's worth the price - you'll understand once you hold one in your hands. smile
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 03:47:51 AM »

I have a Creative Labs Nomad and use iTunes to purchase my music.  It is a pain in the ass combination but whenever I use my MP3 player I'm doing physical activity so I felt an iPod would not really suit me.  If you just walk around or sit at a desk all day the iPod would be a good choice.
RDJeeper
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 01:35:26 PM »

I was a little nervous about spending the money when I got my iPod 40GB.  But I've had it since mid July and I love it.  I can't recommend anything else. I use it every day and couldn't be happier with it.  The iPod Mini is nice if you want something smaller, but as stated above, the price per GB is steep, you can spend another 50 bucks and get the 20 GB.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 04:58:03 PM »

I wrote this a while back at the Home Theater Forum.

Hi guys,

Rio fanboy here. The Rio Karma is AWESOME! I've had one since the end of June and it has been great. I have about 2500 songs or so on it and about 4 gbs left.

Yeah, it ain't no Apple, but it really is great. Here are some reasons why.

1. Gapless playback. One of my main reasons for buying it. I have many live albums, bootlegs, concept, etc, and they ALL play flawlessly w/o gaps. Awesome.

2. Long battery life. One of my other main reasons for buying it. I haven't timed it from start to finish, but one full charge can last me 2-3 weeks (using in the car for 30-45 minutes a day).

3. On the fly playlist creation. What I'll do is set the Karma to do a random play, or songs I haven't heard in XXX days. I'll hear something cool, then think that Song XXX would be great to hear. And I look it up, hit Insert, and voila! Next song up is Song XXX. And after that, the list continues.

4. Ogg Vorbis compatibility. I admit I had no idea what OGG was before buying this unit. It wasn't until I realized that OGG supported gapless and that the Karma supported OGG and gapless that it all came clear. I ripped most everything I have with 192kbs OGG (level 6, I think) using CDex. Does it sound better than .mp3? Don't know. Are there gaps in Operation: Mindcrime? Heck no!

5. Included Sennheiser headphones. They aren't the best, but they beat the crap most manufacturers include.

6. Included dock supports USB 2.0 and ethernet and has RCA out to hook up to home stereo. Oh, yeah, did I mention the dock lights up blue when charging? Or pulses to the music? Or pulses when charging? Talk about sweet. Here's how cool this thing is. My computer is on one side of the room, my home stereo on the other side. I take an RCA cable, plug it to my receiver AUX IN, and set the dock on top. I have an ethernet wire running from my router to the dock. So what's that mean? I can play music from the Rio directly to the stereo. I can rip music to the computer and send it over the wire to my Karma. There's no need to plug and unplug and move things around. Genius!

7. Equalizer settings. There are some presets (Trance, Rock, Classical, etc) but there's also a robust customizable EQ. Very nice.

8. Karma as HDD. There is software called Rio Taxi that allows you to use the Karma as an external HDD. However, I've heard that it isn't very user friendly. YMMV.

So what don't I like about the Karma?

1. Lousy warranty. 90 days. Make sure you buy an extended warranty.

2. Questionable QA/HDD reliability. My first one died in 3 days. The HDD locked up. I did the dreaded Bitch Slap Your Karma fix and it worked for a sec, then failed. That one went back and I got a new one locally. That's worked great for 2 months now (knock wood).

3. Lack of aftermarket goodies. Aside from a few "homebrew" cases and an entrepeneur who has made static cling screen guards, that's about it. Not like the iPod where you can practically brew coffee with it, if you have the right attachment .

4. Moving parts. Yes, the scroll wheel is fragile. But so is an egg. Just be careful.

These are all observations off the top of my head. I've told many people that the Karma is quite possibly the coolest gadget I've ever bought. It's made me rediscover my music collection and I'm thankful for it. I sold my PS2 and many games to fund this thing. It's been worth every penny!

PS: the site that has the 40gb Karma? May be a "custom" job with a voided warranty. There is a guy at Riovolution who opened up a 20gb Karma, dremeled out all the tabs, inserted a 40gb hdd in and modded it. Not sure if the above site is doing the same or if their legit.

PPS: rumor has it that the Karma2 is just around the corner (Fall). Not sure about the specs other than it will have 40gb. Keep your eyes peeled.

Here's one more good Karma site: Karmalicious.ca

I love my Karma!

Zero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 06:20:19 PM »

I have the Creative Labs Zen Xtra - 40GB MP3 player...I luv it...and saved lots of $$ from the Ipod.  Got it for $180 from newegg.  I also have extra batteries for it and if I ever need more than 40GB, you can swap out the hard drive smile
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 08:44:02 PM »

I'm looking to buy an iPod as well.

Are there headphones included with the purchase? Are they decent?  How is the sound good quality?  Bass?

I probably won't be purchasing any music from the internet.  I still like my actual CDs.  I have many.  Is there software included with the iPod that allows me to download all my bought CDs into the iPod?  

I'm looking at the 20GB model.  Is there a 'shuffle' option for all the songs?
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 08:57:39 PM »

From what I've heard...most of the headphones that come with the MP3 players are not that great.  On the Zen Xtra that I have...I hated the headphones and opted for something called "The Plug" from Koss ($20 at Circuit City).  It made a HUGE difference...another great one is the Sony Fontopia 71s (or 51s for a longer cord).  These are the "in-the-ear" type earplugs.  Now that I've heard the difference...I can't go back to the normal headphones or earplugs.

that's my 2cents smile  I think you will be happy with whatever choice you make...these large MP3 players are wonderful.  I stopped using my Rio SP100 mp3 cd player...and I've only filled this thing up to a third of the storage space!!  I still have like 27GB left (I have the 40GB model)...and no more music to dump on it smile
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 09:01:33 PM »

Quote from: "Torfish"

Are there headphones included with the purchase? Are they decent?  How is the sound good quality?  Bass?

I probably won't be purchasing any music from the internet.  I still like my actual CDs.  I have many.  Is there software included with the iPod that allows me to download all my bought CDs into the iPod?  

Yes - there is a shuffle...most of them have it, but the iPod and Zen Xtra have them too.  You can also build a music list, and shuffle that too.  The iPod comes with software that you can use to rip the CDs...I think they use to come with MusicMatchJukebox, but with iTunes on windows now...I'm not sure if iTunes can rip CDs...but either way, it should come with something to rip your cds.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 09:09:50 PM »

Quote from: "Zero"

Yes - there is a shuffle...most of them have it, but the iPod and Zen Xtra have them too.  You can also build a music list, and shuffle that too.  The iPod comes with software that you can use to rip the CDs...I think they use to come with MusicMatchJukebox, but with iTunes on windows now...I'm not sure if iTunes can rip CDs...but either way, it should come with something to rip your cds.

The iPod does come with headphones. They're decent from my accounts. Just decent, not great mind you. And iTunes can rip CDs.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 09:26:32 PM »

Is the process of dumping your CD's songs into the iPod one or two steps?  Can you 'rip' the songs from the CD directly into the iPod or do you have to download them to your PC's hardrive first?  Just trying to figure out how much time per CD it will take me.  

How many 4 minute songs takes up 1GB?  Estimate of course.

Can you easily delete a song from the iPod?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 09:42:58 PM »

Is the process of dumping your CD's songs into the iPod one or two steps?  Can you 'rip' the songs from the CD directly into the iPod or do you have to download them to your PC's hardrive first?  Just trying to figure out how much time per CD it will take me.  

No, it won't rip directly to the iPod.  The way iTunes works, is it will rip the audio to your hard drive, then you either manually drag the files from your iTunes Library to the iPod, or set it to automatically sync whenever you connect the iPod.

How many 4 minute songs takes up 1GB?  Estimate of course.

Roughly 200-250, depending on bitrate.

Can you easily delete a song from the iPod?

As easy as adding a song.
RookieCAF
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 10:28:50 PM »

Love my Nomad Zen Xtra, but the choice is ultimately up to you. I don't think you can really go wrong with a Karma, Ipod or Zen..

~Rookie
Attitude Determines Altitude
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 12:10:50 AM »

i'm on the verge of buying an mp3 player as well, and it looks like i'll probably be going with a 40GB iPod.  the Creative Zen-Xtra looks like a great player as well, but i don't like the interface as much as the iPod and it's a brick compared to the compact, sleek design of an iPod...sound quality of the Zen is supposed to be great though.  in the end, i don't think you can really go wrong with any of them.  they all play music well, so i think the best way to decide is just go to a store and check them out...pick the one with a form-factor/interface that you like the most and that fits your budget.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 03:48:14 AM »

Quote from: "disarm"
i'm on the verge of buying an mp3 player as well, and it looks like i'll probably be going with a 40GB iPod.  the Creative Zen-Xtra looks like a great player as well, but i don't like the interface as much as the iPod and it's a brick compared to the compact, sleek design of an iPod...sound quality of the Zen is supposed to be great though.  in the end, i don't think you can really go wrong with any of them.  they all play music well, so i think the best way to decide is just go to a store and check them out...pick the one with a form-factor/interface that you like the most and that fits your budget.

On the sound side...I think the Zen Xtra has a bit more to offer than the iPod.  The Zen offers the EAX feature, which is pretty cool - it simulates a sound environment.  So if you set it to auditorium setting it sounds like you're in an auditorium, set it to a theater and it sounds like it.  Very cool.  You're right that its heavier, but I looked at 3 very distinct feature that I liked:  being able to replace my own battery or have spares if I want them, being able to swap the hard drive out later (Eg. 80GB drive smile), and price.  The Zen Xtra was $181 for me, while a similar 40GB ipod was $399.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: