http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 11:18:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Are Mac & PC People Different?  (Read 839 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2011, 05:51:56 PM »

In an infographic thatís bound to cause arguments and perhaps fistfights, researchers at Hunch placed data from about 700,000 of its website visitors onto a deep illustration that shows just how different users of Macs and PCs are.

They came up with interesting correlations between usersí chosen computing platforms and their demographics and personalities, as well as tastes in food, fashion and media.

Did it sort out like a comparison between Tea Party members and liberals? Are PC users geeks and Mac users hipsters, in keeping with common stereotypes? Almost. Mac users are more educated, eat more hummus, prefer modern art over impressionist art, and are 21% more likely than PC users to say that two random people are more alike than different.

http://mashable.com/2011/04/23/mac-vs-pc-infographic/

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 05:57:24 PM »

Not shockingly, I am in the right side of that column far more than the left.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 06:08:46 PM »

So Mac users are gay vegetarian wine snobs.  Got it.  smile
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 06:21:21 PM »

Quote from: theohall on April 24, 2011, 06:08:46 PM

Hey.  I'm only one of those three things.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 06:55:38 PM »

hmm.. just a rough estimate of which sides I fall one leads me to believe I may be bi.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 07:54:52 PM »

I'm about equally split between those two columns (although I'm a diehard lifelong PC user).

Mac people are 21% more likely than PC people to consider themselves computer-savvy gearheads.

Now that's pretty funny. I thought Apple's main market demographic was people who don't know how to use computers. Would computer-savvy gearheads overpay for machines that they can't customize or upgrade?

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »

I like the Harley vs Vespa line slywink
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 08:03:05 PM »

Of course you can customize Apple products.  There are a wide variety of designer stickers that you can put on them and hideously expensive cases to put them in.  And upgrading an Apple product is much simpler than with a PC.  Every year, you just look for the long line of smug people, get at the end, and purchase the new version!  Simple!  slywink

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 11:26:40 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on April 24, 2011, 07:54:52 PM

Mac people are 21% more likely than PC people to consider themselves computer-savvy gearheads.

Now that's pretty funny. I thought Apple's main market demographic was people who don't know how to use computers. Would computer-savvy gearheads overpay for machines that they can't customize or upgrade?

I also found that one hilarious.

I can't think of a single mac owner I know that doesn't throw their hands in the air and screech for help at the local apple store when their machine does something they don't want it to.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 11:40:26 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on April 24, 2011, 11:26:40 PM

I can't think of a single mac owner I know that doesn't throw their hands in the air and screech for help at the local apple store when their machine does something they don't want it to.

I think the main reason for that difference is that most people who know nothing about computers buy PCs. And so while there are almost certainly more absolute numbers of tech-savvy PC people, there are also almost certainly higher absolute numbers of computer illiterate PC folk. So relative to their install base, Mac users probably have a higher percentage of tech savvy users.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 12:26:07 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on April 24, 2011, 11:40:26 PM

I think the main reason for that difference is that most people who know nothing about computers buy PCs. And so while there are almost certainly more absolute numbers of tech-savvy PC people, there are also almost certainly higher absolute numbers of computer illiterate PC folk. So relative to their install base, Mac users probably have a higher percentage of tech savvy users.

So Mac users are lazy, gay, vegetarian, wine snobs.  Got it.  smile
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 01:18:12 AM »

Couple issues with the infographic...

1. This is all based on data from a single website and really only represents the users of that site. It's a site that recommends products to you based on what products you already like and that your friends using the site also recommend. In other words, a site that is going to appeal to some people and not appeal to a whole lot of others.

2. These are all self-answered questions. Someone describing themselves as a "computer savvy gearhead" means absolutely nothing without any sort of qualifiers. Sure, if I'd paid twice as much as I needed to for a computer stuffed full of proprietary parts I'd also like to justify it to myself by thinking the purchase was because I was "computer savvy".

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 04:51:12 AM »

Nonsense. I am not a vegetarian.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 01:53:21 PM »

I fall in with the PC users for almost everything, but I'm a Mac guy.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 25, 2011, 01:53:21 PM

I fall in with the PC users for almost everything, but I'm a Mac guy.

Why do you hate life by not owning a vespa? Truthiness!

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 02:26:05 PM »

I would take either, but given the choice, I'd go with the Harley...and I hate life.  icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 02:30:08 PM »

Keep in mind that OS X sits on top a Unix variant, which is attractive to some techies.

I'm surprised that Pete is not a Mac user given that we are so fabulous.  Fabulous

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 02:57:37 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 25, 2011, 02:30:08 PM

Keep in mind that OS X sits on top a Unix variant, which is attractive to some techies.

This would be the reason i use Mac (and Linux) machines at work - the Unix-based command line interface.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 03:04:37 AM by hitbyambulance » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 04:24:58 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 24, 2011, 06:55:38 PM

hmm.. just a rough estimate of which sides I fall one leads me to believe I may be bi.

now there's some out of context quote material. 

Quote from: hitbyambulance on April 27, 2011, 02:57:37 AM

This would be the reason i use Mac (and Linux) machines at work - the Unix-based command line interface.

so, how do you classify a pc guy who hates the gui and scripts everything at the first opportunity? 

i don't hate macs btw.  they make great windows 7 machines

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 04:26:24 AM »

Quote from: Caine on April 27, 2011, 04:24:58 AM

so, how do you classify a pc guy who hates the gui and scripts everything at the first opportunity? 

Someone who is using the wrong OS smile.  Not saying you should use OSX, but if you like CLI's Windows is undoubtedly the worst one available.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 05:55:33 AM »

Quote from: gellar on April 27, 2011, 04:26:24 AM

Quote from: Caine on April 27, 2011, 04:24:58 AM

Someone who is using the wrong OS smile.  Not saying you should use OSX, but if you like CLI's Windows is undoubtedly the worst one available.

forced compulsion due to the job.  at least they finally got something decent with powershell.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: