http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 05:08:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How's the 3rd Pirates of the Caribbean movie?  (Read 3680 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2007, 08:42:39 PM »

I'm deciding if I will ask for it for Christmas on Blu-Ray.

For reference, I loved the first.  The second... not so much.

Yay or Nay?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 08:46:53 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on December 10, 2007, 08:42:39 PM

I'm in the same "boat."   icon_eek

Also why isn't the Bourne Supremecy on Blu-Ray?

The 3 movies I wanted in HD this year  were Bourne, Transformers, and Harry Potter and 2 of them are HD DVD only.  mad
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 08:56:41 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 08:52:02 PM »

Yay or Nay?

If you didn't like the second, I'm afraid the third has even more of the "not so much".  Out of the three, the original is the only one I think I'll ever end up rewatching.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 08:52:40 PM »

I somewhat enjoyed the first and skipped the second.

The third Pirates of the Caribbean movie is one of the worst movies I've seen in theaters.  It was long, dull, parts were unexplainable, and I seriously wish I had that nearly 3 hours of my life back.

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 09:02:09 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 10, 2007, 08:52:40 PM

I somewhat enjoyed the first and skipped the second.

The third Pirates of the Caribbean movie is one of the worst movies I've seen in theaters.  It was long, dull, parts were unexplainable, and I seriously wish I had that nearly 3 hours of my life back.

It was boring.  20 minutes in, I split and watched Shrek 3, which was hilarious!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 09:06:59 PM »

Fucking horrible.

It felt like a first-draft that they shot and figured people would flock to it anyway. Sorta like Spiderman 3. Exact same problems, though less dancing. Yet both start with a musical number oddly enough. The song in Pirates though, is terrific. Stop the movie after that because you'll have seen the high point exactly five minutes in.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 09:13:46 PM »

Yeah, I haven't watched the third one yet because #2 was such a letdown.  Granted, my wife and I watched that one with the volume low cuz my daughter was a newborn at the time.  I keep thinking that I need to rewatch it a little louder now, but I don't feel like torturing myself any further...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 09:16:43 PM »

It's a big mess, although enjoyable at times.  But I thought it was a let down following the second movie, itself a big let down from the first movie.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 09:33:19 PM »

I liked it. icon_biggrin

But I liked the second one, too.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 09:33:27 PM »

Well the good news is that it looks fantastic on Blu-Ray. Really spectacular video quality.

The bad news, as everyone else has commented on, is that the movie is HORRIBLE. The story is so incomprehensible that you basically give up trying to make sense of it and take the path of least resistance. A lot of the action is pointless to the story. Hell, a lot of the plot is pointless to the story. The comparison to Spiderman 3 is appropriate. Both movies throw so much at you that it becomes overwhelming in its pointlessness and collapses under its sheer complexity. First movie was great. Second movie was meh. Third movie was "oh god make it stop already".

How's that for a ringing endorsement?  icon_biggrin
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 10:16:18 PM »

so, it's kind of amusing (and sad) that two of the big summer blockbusters turned out to be "too much crap shoveled into a bag two small to hold it" bad.  i haven't seen this one, but if it's getting compared to sm3, then i am now officially holding off buying it.  sm3 was all kinds of horrible. 

it follows the matrix trilogy in perfect match-step.  one good movie followed by poorly written sequels which make them almost unwatchable.

unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 10:24:19 PM »

It's ok.  I saw the two movies back to back, so I probably had more sense of the story than someone who watched them months apart.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 10:24:37 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 10, 2007, 10:16:18 PM

sm3 was all kinds of horrible.

I couldn't agree more.  I can't believe that they could fuck that up as much as they did.

it follows the matrix trilogy in perfect match-step.  one good movie followed by poorly written sequels which make them almost unwatchable.

You're referring to Pirates on this one, right?  Cuz SM2 was leaps and bounds better than #1.  smile
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 10, 2007, 10:24:19 PM

It's ok.  I saw the two movies back to back, so I probably had more sense of the story than someone who watched them months apart.

And you suggested to that type of torture why?  Tongue
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 10:31:43 PM »

SM3 was ok, but I didn't really like the liberties they took with the way the story played out from the comics (case in point being how insanely powerful they made Sandman).

If you want a real travesty, look at X-Men 3.  It's so bad, I refuse to even watch it.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 10:33:44 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 10, 2007, 10:31:43 PM

SM3 was ok, but I didn't really like the liberties they took with the way the story played out from the comics (case in point being how insanely powerful they made Sandman).

If you want a real travesty, look at X-Men 3.  It's so bad, I refuse to even watch it.

Come on, man...you didn't like that Sandman flew???  biggrin

Trilogies are having shit luck lately: Spider-Man, X-Men, Pirates, Shrek (3 was shite)
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 10:35:31 PM »

There aren't too many #3 movies which are all that good.  Godfather 3 sucked donkey balls.  Alien 3 wasn't that good.  The only good one I can think of at the moment is Back to the Future 3.

I don't think "Matrix 3" is that bad now, but it took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on.  I walked out of the theatre not liking it.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 10:46:04 PM »

X-Men 3 wasn't bad. It was just very, very average. Typical of Brett Ratner who makes cookie-cutter "everyone friendly" studio films. It's not terrible, but it's not good. Right smack in the middle as opposed to SM3 and PoTC 3 which both were terrible.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 10:51:02 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on December 10, 2007, 10:46:04 PM

X-Men 3 wasn't bad. It was just very, very average. Typical of Brett Ratner who makes cookie-cutter "everyone friendly" studio films. It's not terrible, but it's not good. Right smack in the middle as opposed to SM3 and PoTC 3 which both were terrible.

I'd probably hold X3 in a higher regard had the first two not been so damn good in the first place.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 11:13:41 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on December 10, 2007, 10:51:02 PM

I'd probably hold X3 in a higher regard had the first two not been so damn good in the first place.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 12:06:20 AM »

POTC3 wasn't good but it still entertained me in patches- which is more than I can say for X3 which I found incredibly boring.  I wouldn't even call X3 average. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 12:51:03 AM »

YAARRRRGGHHH!!!!!

<cough>

I mean YAY!  go for it.  The PotC trilogy on Blu-ray will be my whole reason for buying a PS3.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 02:25:15 AM »

I agree with that statement wholeheartedly.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 02:48:43 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on December 10, 2007, 11:13:41 PM

Shortly before the film was released, someone dropped a spoiler on me that: 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Cyclops dies right in the beginning.

Yeah... if they deviate that much from the comics, they have nothing but my contempt.  It's amazingly hard to describe the level to which that's such a travesty.  It's like making an A-Team movie and killing off Hannibal right at the beginning of the movie, times 100.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 02:54:17 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 11, 2007, 02:48:43 AM

Shortly before the film was released, someone dropped a spoiler on me that: 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Cyclops dies right in the beginning.

Yeah... if they deviate that much from the comics, they have nothing but my contempt.  It's amazingly hard to describe the level to which that's such a travesty.  It's like making an A-Team movie and killing off Hannibal right at the beginning of the movie, times 100.

Yeah that happens within the first five minutes but it's nothing compared to what happens at the mid-way point, only to be kinda reversed post credits. Make no mistake, it was a rush movie for no better reason than the head of Fox, Tom Rothman, wanted to beat Bryan Singer's "Superman Returns" to the big screen so fast-tracked it without anything or any one in place. Take it as a separate telling of the same story in the vein of how "Transformers" didn't exactly follow established continuity and you're fine for an average movie. If you want it as an accurate on-screen telling of the Dark Phoenix saga, then keep waiting because that ain't happening anytime soon.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 03:08:20 AM »

Quote from: depward on December 10, 2007, 09:02:09 PM

It was boring.  20 minutes in, I split and watched Shrek 3, which was hilarious!

Can't comment on PotC 3 (haven't seen it), but Shrek 3 was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long, long time.   Possibly the un-funniest "comedy" I've ever sat through.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 03:28:25 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 11, 2007, 03:08:20 AM

Can't comment on PotC 3 (haven't seen it), but Shrek 3 was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long, long time.   Possibly the un-funniest "comedy" I've ever sat through.

thumbsup  Agreed...terrible, terrible movie
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 03:40:11 AM »

No, X3 took a steaming shit all over the first two.  The promise of a Dark Phoenix movie at the end of the second one was the first time I HAD to see the next movie since the end of Empire Strikes Back.  X3 was like Brett Ratner pulling a copy of X-Men 137 apart page by page, eating it, and shitting it out onto another copy of X-Men 137.

Spider-Man 3 sucked balls, but at least it had one sequence in it that reminded me of the comics (Peter in a battle while trying not to lose the wedding ring his aunt gave him).

And we watched Pirates 3 the other night- I found it entertaining, didn't hate it, didn't have very high expectations for it, and actually liked it more than the second one.  go figure.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 03:58:44 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 10, 2007, 08:46:53 PM

I'm in the same "boat."   icon_eek

The 3 movies I wanted in HD this year  were Bourne, Transformers, and Harry Potter and 2 of them are HD DVD only.  mad

Universal and Dreamworks are HD-DVD only.

We have POTC 3 here but haven't watched it yet, we're waiting for a spare three hours to get through it all and I'm definitely going in with low expectations. I thought Spider-man 3 was bad and Shrek 3 was even worse (yet the Christmas special was great), both really disappointing as far as sequels go. I'm really excited to see Bourne 3 next week.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 04:08:20 AM »

i bought PotC 3 last week to finish out the collection and watched it for the first time over the weekend...big disappointment despite going in with low expectations.  i thought the first PotC was a fantastic summer action movie, but they took a big step back with the second...all setup for a big finish that just didn't materialize in the last movie.  i didn't have any trouble following the story in #3 because it's actually very simple and totally inconsequential to all the action they try to put on the screen.  unfortunately, the action scenes don't meet the high standard set by either of the previous two movies, and i can't really say there was a single character or event in the final movie that i really cared about.  i guess i was entertained in the end simply because of the 'spectacle' of the whole thing, but it really isn't a good movie, and it's easily the worst of the three.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2007, 12:26:43 PM »

I liked the big wheel thingy in the 2nd movie.  That's actually the only thing I remember from the 2nd movie other than it was way too long.

I had no desire to see the 3rd.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 12:37:03 PM »

First, the on topic:

The third PotC movie sucks, just like most have said. It's too long, too boring, and so far from the spirit of the first film that I wish I'd never seen it.

And now for the off topic:

Quote from: denoginizer

The Bourne series is from Universal, whose president I believe was in on the creation of HD-DVD as a format.

I wouldn't expect any of their movies to show up on Blu-Ray for a long time. Maybe ever, depending on how the format "war" turns out.

Quote from: th'FOOL
No, X3 took a steaming shit all over the first two.

God this is so true. I can't stand seeing people argue that it wasn't that bad. It's right up there with Ultraviolet with some of the worst piece of crap movies I've ever seen in my entire life, and that's before I factor in all the good things about the first two films that it just dumped and ruined.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 12:40:51 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 11, 2007, 03:08:20 AM

Can't comment on PotC 3 (haven't seen it), but Shrek 3 was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long, long time.   Possibly the un-funniest "comedy" I've ever sat through.

+3

Oh, and PoTC2 was overwrought... I didn't actually "Get it" until the third go-round ... mind you the second viewing I was armed with toxins that commonly prevent lucidity. That. and I was shhhllurrrinnng.... but what about the RUM?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
unbreakable
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2007, 04:06:25 PM »

IMO, PotC3 is just average.  It's not great, it's not horrible, but it's really pretty average.  Watch it if you've seen the first two and want something on while you clean the house.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2007, 06:49:59 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 11, 2007, 12:46:00 PM

but what about the RUM?

I hid it.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2007, 08:57:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 11, 2007, 06:49:59 PM

but what about the RUM?
I'd hit it.

FTFY

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2007, 09:22:42 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 11, 2007, 08:57:02 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 11, 2007, 06:49:59 PM

but what about the RUM?
I'd hit it.

FTFY

yes.  I had sex with your rum before you drank it.  Supertight FTW.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2007, 11:24:09 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on December 10, 2007, 10:24:37 PM

You're referring to Pirates on this one, right?  Cuz SM2 was leaps and bounds better than #1.  smile

yup.  sm2>>sm1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>eating 3 day old donkey shit without a spoon>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
sm3

tromik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2007, 08:42:42 PM »

I would have loved it if I know WTF was going on. There's absolutely no summary of the first two movies, nothing. And they through all these new concepts and characters in without explaining anything. The action was still pretty good, and the music was great, but overall just immensely weak.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2007, 08:45:08 PM »

Quote from: tromik on December 12, 2007, 08:42:42 PM

I would have loved it if I know WTF was going on. There's absolutely no summary of the first two movies, nothing. And they through all these new concepts and characters in without explaining anything. The action was still pretty good, and the music was great, but overall just immensely weak.

Would it make you feel better if you knew that the third movie is equally confusing to the people who saw the first two?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: