http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 01:59:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Horror Novel Recommendations  (Read 1656 times)
Animus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2005, 01:43:32 AM »

I'm a sucker for the horror genre in whatever medium. I prefer the more psychological, subtle take over the gore/slasher/typical haunted house stuff. For instance, some of the stuff in 2001 with Gygory Ligeti's Requiem playing gets to me far more than anything like Halloween or Friday the 13th. While I've found a few movies and games that do that quite effectively (The Ring, System Shock 2, etc.), I've yet to find a book that does. The short stories of Thomas Ligotti have come the closest to really getting under my skin. And House of Leaves did a good job of creeping me out intermittently. Other than that though, nothing really has. I love reading and I know there's got to be some good scary stuff out there but outside of the above exceptions I've yet to find it. I've read several Steven King novels and while I've found them compelling mainstream stuff I've never really been scared by them.

Anyway, if anyone can recommend some good (possibly obscure) stuff that leans toward the psychological side of the scale (tho that's not required, if it's really scary generic horror stuff let me know) I'd love to hear some recommendations.
gameoverman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 03:02:52 AM »

Ghost Story by Peter Straub is the one novel that pops into my mind in this category.

For short stories, I find that the older ghost stories work best for this kind of kick.  MR James' "Oh Whistle and I'll Come to you, My lad" always works for me.  F. Marion  Crawford's "The Upper Berth", Oliver Onions' "The Beckoning Fair One"  being favorites too.  

The cool thing is you can get these stories for free at sites like this one.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 03:23:12 AM »

i would recommend picking up anything by H P Lovecraft.  He was all about the psychological horror.  The things you cant see, and only hear.  There are a few compilations out there.  Most people will tell you that the Call of Cthulhu story is one of his best, but in my opinion, I dont really think so.  Rats in the Walls is my fav, I think.  BUt thats my recommendation.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 03:29:50 AM »

Scariest. Read. Ever.

biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 05:23:35 AM »

Dean... whatsisname - Kuntz?  especially the one about the guy and his dog (Einstein, maybe?)...  all his titles were similar - Whispers, Watchers, , or Whatevers, so i'm not sure which it was.  maybe Watchers.  similar to Stephen King, but definitely worth a try.  

i know i read one that made me not want to go near a cellar hatchway in about a zillion years. :oops:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 10:52:36 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
Dean... whatsisname - Kuntz?  especially the one about the guy and his dog (Einstein, maybe?)...  all his titles were similar - Whispers, Watchers, , or Whatevers, so i'm not sure which it was.  maybe Watchers.  similar to Stephen King, but definitely worth a try.  

i know i read one that made me not want to go near a cellar hatchway in about a zillion years. :oops:

I used to read Koontz all the time back in high school.  I liked him ok, but the more I read, the more annoyed I got that all of his horror stories had logical, rational, scientific explanations.  There were no supernatural stories...only stories about people with psychic powers or severe psychological problems, and every story followed a similar pattern.  Once I found Stephen King in college, my cravings for more traditional, supernatural horror were finally satisfied, and I've never looked back.

Unfortunately, I've read almost all of King's books, and I haven't found any other horror authors I like remotely as much.  Lovecraft's ok, but his stories are mostly similar and usually predictable.  I'll have to take a look at some of the other authors mentioned above.
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 11:55:31 PM »

H.P. Lovecraft
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 12:49:43 AM »

King, as has been mentioned.

Robert McCammon is also good.  Brian Lumley's Necroscope books are decent as well.
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 02:12:22 AM »

I thoroughly enjoyed(was scared by) The Bog by Michael Talbot.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/068805952X/002-4624914-4653642?v=glance
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 01:55:11 PM »

I'll second Lovecraft.  There's a great compilation of some of his better stories you can find online or in a bookstore.  One of my favorites is The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward or perhaps Shadow over Innsmouth.  Good stuff.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 06:05:06 AM »

Give Muriel Grey (Gray?)'s the Trickster and Inferno a shot.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 05:35:19 PM »

The big names have been mentioned, but I'd like to second Robert McCammon and add a few of my own.

Stephen Laws, (straight supernatural horror) British, some of his books are hard to find in the US (I'm in Canada, easy as pie here) but man the first time I read "Darkfall" (no not the Dean Koontz book by the same title) I was quite freaked out. Any of his are good but Darkfall, Chasm and Daemonic are particularly fun.

Also, if you've missed Richard Laymon, (psychological horror) he's considered by current horror writers to be one of the best, check his stuff out.. yikes! Too bad he's dead frown

Honorable mentions: Simon Clark and Bentley Little (his book "The Association" is my favorite)

If you want more, just ask, but those are my favorites.

Simon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 05:40:39 PM »

Animus, if you can find his books check out James Herbert. He's a British horror author and I've read all of his books over the past twenty years. I've recently read books by Bentley Little (The Walking and The Revelation) and Graham Masterton (The Devil in Gray) and those were pretty good. The Alienist by Caleb Carr, more of a psychological thriller, was absolutely excellent.
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 08:12:51 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
One of my favorites is The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward or perhaps Shadow over Innsmouth.  Good stuff.

s

IMO, his greatest stories as well.  Definitely "must reads" for fans of the Horror genre.  After reading Lovecraft, you see bits and pieces of his style all over the place.

The game "Alone in the Dark" was an homage to the style of Lovecraft's stories.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 10:50:00 PM »

Another well known British author that is not very well known here is Ramsey Cambell.  

-Crusis

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2005, 12:53:00 PM »

The best horror I've read recently has been A Winter Haunting by Dan Simmons.

A Winter Haunting.

It's a sequel to another great book, Summer  Of Night

While you don't HAVE to read the first to enjoy the second, it helps.

Another good, intelligent book is Nocturnes by John Connolly.

I've not been too impressed with much other 'modern' horror lately.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: