http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 09:37:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hoodwinked = damn funny  (Read 844 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2006, 03:54:04 AM »

My Fair Lady and I went to see Hoodwinked yesterday and I was cracking up start to finish. Just thought I'd share...

The story picks up with Red Riding Hood (Anne Hathaway) showing up at Granny's (Glen Close) house only to encounter the Big Bad Wolf (Patrick Warburton) already waiting for her. The Wolf lunges at Red, Granny busts out of the closet tied up, and the Woodsman (Jim Belushi) busts through the window waving his axe like a madman apparently there to save the day.

And that's when the cops show up, arrest everyone, then take their stories and try to make sense of everything.

Naturally, you have four different takes on the same story with some inspired variations. How everything meshes together is hilarious, but I think the story overstays its welcome. The final sequence is really funny, but it takes longer to get there than it should have. Plus, I think the story would have ruled if:
Spoiler for Hiden:
the ultimate villain had won out in the end and there was no "happy ending" per se.

Overall, I loved it. The character interactions, the rapid-fire gags, the attention to detail in the background, and so forth. As for the pop-culture references, they're actually funnier here than in either Shrek movie which I consider hugely overrated "time capsule" films that kids will look back at 20 years from now and not get any of the jokes. Hoodwinked at least has a singing hillbilly goat who is a riot from the second he's introduced.

Also, can we please declare a moratorium on wall-to-wall pop songs for animated films not made by Disney? Kthxbye.

Hathaway was suitably pouty as Red, but Warburton (as expected) stole the show as Wolf. It's almost a spoiler to note who he's dressed like, but if you're a fan of Chevy Chase then you'll appreciate the gag that much more. biggrin The animation was above average, but comparing a CG flick to anything by Pixar (or Square Enix for that matter) will just result in a distant third place. It looks good, and actually suits the story perfectly, but it remains far from the cream of the crop. The writing, though, made up for it. All hail Warburton.

Grade: A-

Highlights:

- Patrick Warburton across the board.
- Wolf's assistant.
- "What... have I.... done...?"
- The singing goat.
- ".... doesn't make much sense, but...."
- The overlapping stories, and the specific points where they overlap could make for extremely fun repeat viewing.
- "Hold it, Triple G."
- "The creepy one?"
- The Bakery Bandit.
- The Hummingbirds.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 04:11:36 AM »

Gotta say, I laughed for about a minute straight to the preview I saw with the turtles yelling "RUN!!" and they just barely start crawling away.

Always wanted to see this, but it got raped by a critic in this area, so I held off.  Maybe I'll convince a friend to check this one out, thanks!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 12:21:49 PM »

"What... have I.... done...?"

followed by "what kind of candles are those?"
                 "dee-na-meet-aye...."

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 04:18:47 PM »

Ok, now I must go watch the trailer. You have intrigued me WBS.
Haavok1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 10:17:19 PM »

I must not have been at the same movie, we walked out after 20 minutes.  Not a laught to be heard in the theatre, not even from the small kids there.  Maybe it got a whole lot better after we left but I was totally disappointed with what I saw.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 11:24:24 PM »

I would have to say that the first 20 min were slow... Red Riding hoods story is kind of lame on it's own; until she gets to the Goat it's not that funny.

Hers is the straight-man... it's the setup for the entire premise of the movie. The rest of it is tearing the story apart.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: