http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 03:58:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honda FIT.. I now have one ;)  (Read 4171 times)
El-Producto
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2008, 02:59:42 PM »

I'm car shopping, and I love hatchbacks.  Had a 99 Honda Civic hatch, that I loved.

It's for myself, and my 2 daughters whom I have part time. 

Wondering what people's thoughts are from those that have one?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 06:17:07 PM by El-Producto » Logged

"Goonies never say die"
Magik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 03:25:50 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 26, 2008, 02:59:42 PM

I'm car shopping, and I love hatchbacks.  Had a 99 Honda Civic hatch, that I loved.

I have the 2007 Fit Sport in white. It's one of the best cars I've ever owned. My gas milage isn't as good as others I've heard of. I get roughly 31-33 mpg hwy driving, but only 27-28 with mixed city/hwy. I was reading in one of the other threads here that someone is getting 40 mpg!

As far as storage space, I've taken this sucker to target to pick up a console table, then gone to costco and filled the car to the brim. It is absolutely HUGE when you fold down the rear passenger seats.

The engine doesn't have a super amount of power, but that's to be expected from such a small car. You can feel the engine chug a bit when going up hills or trying to accelerate to merge onto the highway.

Anyways, hope this helps!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 03:37:28 PM »

I hate hatchbacks but have you looked at the Saturn Astra?

that Honda looks plane Jane.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 04:19:42 PM »

We just bought a Fit...hopefully it arrives from the factory this week. We looked at several cars in that price and gas mileage range and found the Fit to be much more car for the price.

At 6'3 I have a lot of headroom and can sit comfortably in the front seats and back seats. The back seats are a 60/40 split and fold down completely flat. An added bonus is the back seat seats fold up giving you the entire back seat floor board for carrying tall things like a bike with its front wheel taken off. It's the only car in its class that comes standard with ABS brakes and full air bag system.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »

I was actually just checking the Fit out and it kind of baffles me that the Civic has a more powerful engine while providing better fule economy than the Fit. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 07:15:35 PM »

Daehawk, the problem with the Saturn is well, it's a GM.  I refuse to buy any domestic vehicles thanks.
I swore off of domestics long ago.. won't even look at them, I say this as my Subaru is ready to hit 300,000 km.

Have you ever owned a hatchback?  They are so much more practical than basic 4 door.. and I think they look awesome.

All of the research I've done, says that the Fit gets the same, if not a little better gas mileage than the civic.  Mind you, you are comparing a 1.5L to a 1.8L engine.

I'll take the cargo space over engine size.  My Civic hatch chugged at higher speeds too.. but if I wanted a luxury ride, I'd be buying something different.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 07:21:00 PM by El-Producto » Logged

"Goonies never say die"
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 07:24:28 PM »

Quote from: Magik on May 26, 2008, 03:25:50 PM

I have the 2007 Fit Sport in white. It's one of the best cars I've ever owned. My gas milage isn't as good as others I've heard of. I get roughly 31-33 mpg hwy driving, but only 27-28 with mixed city/hwy. I was reading in one of the other threads here that someone is getting 40 mpg!

As far as storage space, I've taken this sucker to target to pick up a console table, then gone to costco and filled the car to the brim. It is absolutely HUGE when you fold down the rear passenger seats.

The engine doesn't have a super amount of power, but that's to be expected from such a small car. You can feel the engine chug a bit when going up hills or trying to accelerate to merge onto the highway.

Do you have an automatic?  I know that the manual gets better mileage.  I'm looking at the Sport with manual.  Does anyone know if you can get a sunroof?  I can't seem to find it on the website.

"Goonies never say die"
Magik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 07:28:10 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 26, 2008, 07:24:28 PM

Quote from: Magik on May 26, 2008, 03:25:50 PM

Do you have an automatic?  I know that the manual gets better mileage.  I'm looking at the Sport with manual.  Does anyone know if you can get a sunroof?  I can't seem to find it on the website.

Yup, I have an automatic. The manual does get better milage from what I hear. As far as I know, the sport doesn't come with a sunroof. However, when I bought mine, the dealership offered an aftermarket sunroof which looked pretty good. I didn't go for it, but you can certainly get one on your Fit.

I love this car!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 07:33:56 PM »

What about the volvo hatchback?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 07:38:59 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 26, 2008, 07:33:56 PM

If you're talking about the C30, I'm guessing the fact that it starts at $10,000 more than the Fit and gets much worse gas mileage (19/28) probably rules it out.

El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 07:39:33 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 26, 2008, 07:33:56 PM

Volvo's are great, and very reliable.  It's the insane cost of servicing the damn things that makes them a no no.  My Mom has an XC90, and although it's a great car.. it's expensive, and DAMN expensive to service.

Basically I have narrowed my choice down to the following.. and I'm leaning HEAVILY on the FIT.

Honda Fit
Honda Civic
Toyota Matrix
Suzuki SX4

"Goonies never say die"
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 07:41:57 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 26, 2008, 07:15:35 PM

Daehawk, the problem with the Saturn is well, it's a GM.  I refuse to buy any domestic vehicles thanks.
I swore off of domestics long ago.. won't even look at them, I say this as my Subaru is ready to hit 300,000 km.

Calling the Saturn Astra a "domestic" is a bit of a stretch.  It's a rebadged Opel (GM's European division) and is built in Belgium.  Actually, a lot of Saturn models are rebadges at this point.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 07:44:56 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on May 26, 2008, 07:41:57 PM

Quote from: El-Producto on May 26, 2008, 07:15:35 PM

Calling the Saturn Astra a "domestic" is a bit of a stretch.  It's a rebadged Opel (GM's European division) and is built in Belgium.  Actually, a lot of Saturn models are rebadges at this point.

Yeah, was about to say this.  From what I have heard, the cars are definitely reliable.  Interestingly enough, my grandma had an older one that lasted forever smile  Opel is a pretty good brand in my opinion. 

El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 07:53:37 PM »

I guess I am being a bit ignorant when it comes to the Saturn.  I certainly haven't heard BAD things about them, and I like their no haggle policy.

Can anyone attest to Saturn?  Good vs. Bad?

"Goonies never say die"
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 08:03:02 PM »

Just for information, that Astra picture Daehawk has been posting is not of an actual Astra you can buy now.  I believe it's their concept for the next line of Astras. 

This is what they really look like:

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 08:13:18 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 26, 2008, 07:53:37 PM

I guess I am being a bit ignorant when it comes to the Saturn.  I certainly haven't heard BAD things about them, and I like their no haggle policy.

I have an older Saturn and love it, but that has nothing to do with the Astra.  The key there is that the Opel Astra does have a good reputation.  Keep in mind, however, that Saturn has repositioned itself price wise so it's not on the cheap side of things anymore.  The 5 door Astra starts at a higher price than the 5 door Honda Fit, for example.

However, it's probably worth test driving if that's the kind of car you are interested in.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 08:15:04 PM by Sarkus » Logged

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 08:26:06 PM »

Yeah, while I was car shopping I was looking at an Astra myself.  I test drove a Scion tC and fell in love with the car though.  I am now the proud owner of a 5speed White Scion tC.  My friends Honda Fit is very roomy inside and it has a bit of pep for such a small car.  Perfect for you if you are looking for a gas efficient car with a roomy interior smile

Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »

Whats the car sight that lets you look at the interior and play with colors?  I cannot seem to find it.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 08:39:08 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 26, 2008, 07:39:33 PM

Volvo's are great, and very reliable.  It's the insane cost of servicing the damn things that makes them a no no.  My Mom has an XC90, and although it's a great car.. it's expensive, and DAMN expensive to service.

Basically I have narrowed my choice down to the following.. and I'm leaning HEAVILY on the FIT.

Honda Fit
Honda Civic
Toyota Matrix
Suzuki SX4
You won't consider an American vehicle (even when the Japanese vehicle you are looking at is more American than the American vehicle) yet you will consider a Suzuki?

Why car buyers *insist* on remaining ignorant I will never understand.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 09:10:18 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 26, 2008, 08:39:08 PM

Volvo's are great, and very reliable.  It's the insane cost of servicing the damn things that makes them a no no.  My Mom has an XC90, and although it's a great car.. it's expensive, and DAMN expensive to service.

Honda Fit
Honda Civic
Toyota Matrix
Suzuki SX4
You won't consider an American vehicle (even when the Japanese vehicle you are looking at is more American than the American vehicle) yet you will consider a Suzuki?

I'd like to see how many 10 year old Sunfires are driving around vs. a Corolla.

The Suzuki is on my list because it's AWD.  I'm not sure any of the domestics carry such a model.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 09:14:29 PM by El-Producto » Logged

"Goonies never say die"
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 09:12:12 PM »

Things have changed a tad bit though.  The quality and reliability of certain domestic brands has gone up smile  I would have to check a car reliability site though as just making the statement does not help my argument any.  Then again, I am a tad bit of a hypocrite since I did purchase a Scion Tongue 

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 09:12:21 PM »

Well, do you have any suggestions for domestic cars that would fill a role similar to the Fit?

I'm in the market for a new economy car, and the Fit fills my needs pretty well.
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 09:18:10 PM »

I wish they would have brought over the European focus to the states.  Gas efficient, pretty reliable, and it looks halfway decent.  The American focus does get good gas mileage, but only comes in coupe and sedan styles.  I have had my old ZX3 focus for 7 years and I finally picked up a new car, but I was really happy with the mileage and reliability of the car.  Like I said though, the fit was amazing when I rode with my buddy.  I have nothing bad to say about it.  Have you looked at a Yaris by any chance?  Some of those actually look pretty mean smile  The price of the Fit is a definite selling point though, as I would have to look up some other domestic cars to see their prices. 

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »

My wife drives a Fit.  It should be noted that she only ever drives Hondas (and yet when I told her not to mention that to the salesman she ignored me  icon_evil).  We test drove the Civic and Fit the same day and both of us liked the handling of the Fit to the Civic which seemed heavier and more disconnected from the road.  The sticker on the cars show the automatic having a 1 mpg better gas consumption compared to the manual, we got the auto but I don't know if real world driving proves out the sticker or not.  The wife loves the car and it can really handle a lot of stuff inside.  I don't really drive it much (probably have driven it less than 25 miles) but the front passenger seat is comfortable.  This is a standard Fit by the way, not the Sport version but I don't see anything that you get in the Sport that would change the basic handling and performance of the car.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 09:49:07 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on May 26, 2008, 09:38:00 PM

My wife drives a Fit.  It should be noted that she only ever drives Hondas (and yet when I told her not to mention that to the salesman she ignored me  icon_evil).  We test drove the Civic and Fit the same day and both of us liked the handling of the Fit to the Civic which seemed heavier and more disconnected from the road.  The sticker on the cars show the automatic having a 1 mpg better gas consumption compared to the manual, we got the auto but I don't know if real world driving proves out the sticker or not.  The wife loves the car and it can really handle a lot of stuff inside.  I don't really drive it much (probably have driven it less than 25 miles) but the front passenger seat is comfortable.  This is a standard Fit by the way, not the Sport version but I don't see anything that you get in the Sport that would change the basic handling and performance of the car.

Well, at least in Canada, the Sport comes with 15 inch wheels and better tires, as opposed to 14 inchers on the Base.  I understand it makes quite a difference to handling, not sure if it's worth the extra.. but you get quite a few other things on the sport.

"Goonies never say die"
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2008, 10:20:22 PM »

Let me see if I can confirm the wheels in the US model of the Fit.  I was wondering why the sport cost so much more than the normal fit when all they really added was some trimming.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 10:26:29 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 26, 2008, 09:10:18 PM

Quote from: cheeba on May 26, 2008, 08:39:08 PM

Honda Fit
Honda Civic
Toyota Matrix
Suzuki SX4

I'd like to see how many 10 year old Sunfires are driving around vs. a Corolla.

The Suzuki is on my list because it's AWD.  I'm not sure any of the domestics carry such a model.

Im not sure on overall Toyota reliability these days but my first car was a Corolla SR5 with a T2C engine. It was a 1974 one and i got it in 1986. Ran great. I could repair any problem myself. I should never have sold it. Idiot me. It had nearly 200k on it or more IIRC.

Heres a pic of one almost like it cept mine was metallic gray.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 11:15:29 PM »

Nissan Versa?
Pontiac Vibe? (Basically the same car as the Matrix, but you might get a better deal)
Mazda 3? (More fun than the Matrix, heck, probably all the cars you've mentioned).
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2008, 11:47:03 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 26, 2008, 10:20:22 PM

Let me see if I can confirm the wheels in the US model of the Fit.  I was wondering why the sport cost so much more than the normal fit when all they really added was some trimming.

The Fit comes with 14" wheels and the Fit Sport comes with 15" alloy wheels.

Here are the differences between the Fit and the Fit Sport

- 14" wheels compared to 15" alloy wheels
- 160 watt 4 speaker stereo system compared to a 200 watt 6 speaker stereo system
- Sport has front, side and rear spoilers
- Sport has fog lights
- Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters on Sport models equipped with the 5-speed automatic transmission

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 12:28:00 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 26, 2008, 08:03:02 PM

Just for information, that Astra picture Daehawk has been posting is not of an actual Astra you can buy now.  I believe it's their concept for the next line of Astras. 

Well, this is the 3 door version:

Personally, after going through the buying process with my brother, who is getting one of these tomorrow, I would very highly recommend them to anyone looking at small cars. These are probably a bit too pricey for the OP, however.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2008, 12:30:56 AM »

Quote from: RobbieD on May 26, 2008, 11:47:03 PM

- 160 watt 4 speaker stereo system compared to a 200 watt 6 speaker stereo system
- Sport has fog lights
- Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters on Sport models equipped with the 5-speed automatic transmission

The Sport also has a security system with remote entry as well as cruise control.  

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2008, 12:32:51 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 27, 2008, 12:28:00 AM

Personally, after going through the buying process with my brother, who is getting one of these tomorrow, I would very highly recommend them to anyone looking at small cars. These are probably a bit too pricey for the OP, however.

Yeah, I realize what the 3-door looks like, but it is not like the picture Daehawk posted.  The shape and lines are quite different and the bumper and front grill/fog-light thing is different as well. 

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2008, 01:40:07 AM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 26, 2008, 07:53:37 PM

There's several models across all the GM brands that aren't actually GM built cars, but european or even in at least one case japanese makes that are just rebadged.

As someone mentioned earlier the Pontiac Vibe is just a Toyota Matrix with different body panels, all the way down to the engine and transmission options and the interior build.

Definitely best to do research on all the potential options in the market segment you're looking at before discounting anything.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 01:42:46 AM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2008, 01:40:58 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 27, 2008, 12:32:51 AM

Quote from: cheeba on May 27, 2008, 12:28:00 AM

Yeah, I realize what the 3-door looks like, but it is not like the picture Daehawk posted.  The shape and lines are quite different and the bumper and front grill/fog-light thing is different as well. 

Agreed, Daehawk posted a concept version, possibly even for this generation's Astra.
The exterior looks great, but the interior design is a bit lacking in my opinion. Then again, it's not bad for a cheap car.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2008, 02:16:55 AM »

I was very surprised to not see the Versa up on your list, in all the initial rankings the fit barely beat out the Versa. You get so much room in the Versa, the Fit supposedly has a little more pep than the Versa, but you should definitely consider it.

I would have one, but we really don't need another car payment right now. I will however seriously consider a Versa hatchback when they come out with the next revision at the end of 2009.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2008, 02:23:07 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on May 27, 2008, 02:16:55 AM

I was very surprised to not see the Versa up on your list, in all the initial rankings the fit barely beat out the Versa. You get so much room in the Versa, the Fit supposedly has a little more pep than the Versa, but you should definitely consider it.

I would have one, but we really don't need another car payment right now. I will however seriously consider a Versa hatchback when they come out with the next revision at the end of 2009.

I don't have a Nissan dealer close by which is one reason.

According to this article the Fit beats out the Versa and the Yaris.  http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/compact/112_0608_economy_car_comparison/index.html

But truth be told.. I haven't really looked at the Versa much, thanks for the rec.

"Goonies never say die"
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2008, 02:44:05 AM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 27, 2008, 02:23:07 AM

Quote from: Tebunker on May 27, 2008, 02:16:55 AM

I don't have a Nissan dealer close by which is one reason.

According to this article the Fit beats out the Versa and the Yaris.  http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/compact/112_0608_economy_car_comparison/index.html

But truth be told.. I haven't really looked at the Versa much, thanks for the rec.

I will admit, I am a Nissan Homer, but having driven the Yaris - just didn't feel right, the Versa and the Fit, I would have no issue with the fit other than the fact that I hate its body, especially the front end.

Also, while that report is good, they had a preproduction Versa for the test, you should definitely go check one out if you can find a dealership.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 02:47:14 AM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2008, 04:24:47 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on May 27, 2008, 02:44:05 AM

I will admit, I am a Nissan Homer

Do you play La Cucaracha when someone toots your horn?  slywink

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2008, 12:39:21 PM »

Quote from: RobbieD on May 26, 2008, 11:47:03 PM

- Sport has fog lights

You left out a major one...

- Cruise Control

Note:  That was for the 2007 models, the '08 models might include cruise on the non-Sports now.

We have an '07 Fit Sport and we absolutely love it.  The thing gets great gas mileage (my wife insisted on getting the 5 speed manual) and more room than our first apartment.  Case in point, we just made a run to Home Depot and drove home with two 6 step stair risers, ten 2x8's cut into 5 foot sections, 10 bags of white marble chips and various bits of sundry.  And we only had to fold down one of the rear seats.

A friend of mine is 6'11" and he can sit comfortably in the front seat which is a very rare occurance.  On the opposite side of the spectrum, my wife is 4'10" and she can see over the dash and reach all the controls without the aid of her "booster" pillow that she needs to drive most any other vehicle.

The most common complaints I've read about the car are road noise (which is why you get the 200W stereo), seating positions (which I can't understand given my examples stated above), and harsh ride (which I can agree with but it only occurs in very specific conditions).  The highway ride is smooth and comfortable (we've made two trips to Colorado and back and it averaged 40MPG highway both times).

All in all, I highly recommend it.

Edit:  Whoops, I see that EngineNo9 already addressed the cruise control.

The Sport also has a security system with remote entry as well as cruise control. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 12:44:27 PM by TK-421 » Logged

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2008, 01:05:07 PM »

Well, I did some research on the Versa, and although it sounds like a great car.. it lacks the seating/storage versatility of the Fit.  If you are getting a compact car, you want the most storage possible, IMHO.

Fit is still at the top for me.  I wish Honda had better financing deals though.

"Goonies never say die"
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: