http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 12:00:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy crap. I just realized it's been 10 years since I joined GoneGold.  (Read 2886 times)
ravenvii
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2009, 08:28:16 AM »

Yep, it was back in '99. I joined GoneGold after lurking since around the summer of '98 after discovering GoneGold through Falcon Northwest. What a great group of people, and what a great forum. I checked GoneGold daily from that point on forwards until it's sudden demise. I consider this forum the "successor" to the GoneGold forums, but it just ain't the same. I don't check here daily, though I do check around a few times a week. I don't post here nearly as much. It's a great place here, that's for sure, but the "dynamic" isn't the same, know what I mean?

Man, to think about how much has changed in the past 10 years, and yet I see many of the same faces here. Some of us has known each other for ten years, and yet barely know each other at all.

Since, I've graduated high school, graduated university, and am now in my second year in law school.

The memories. Damn, I can't believe it's been a decade.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:55:45 AM »

I think I joined GoneGold back in 2000, but I don't think a lot of people in here even recognize my nick.  icon_razz
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 01:07:10 PM »

It has been 10 years for me too.  I think I officially registered for the forums in June 1999 (25th person) as ATB, but I'm pretty sure I had been on the site reading rich's writings prior to that.

I found him by surfing random gaming links trying to find PC game release dates and that ended up with me landing at the site/column he had prior to GG whose name escapes me.  On that site he had a different name Uther Pendragon maybe? (or that could have been someone entirely different) and instead of Tiny Fuzz he had an animated golden dragon.

Those were the good old days for sure. Rich was doing okay, he was friendly and approachable and overwhelmingly generous. He and I had some personal correspondences and when I inquired about a game he sent me a copy along with 3 GG t-shirts (all XLs biggrin ) that I still have.  Probably the biggest lasting impact he had on me (besides the progeny sites including this one) is that he introduced me to Turn Based Strategy games in the guise of Heroes of Might and Magic III.  It has remained one of my favorite genres to this day.

Some of us has known each other for ten years, and yet barely know each other at all.

Very poignant and absolutely true.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 01:18:19 PM »

Ive seen your pictures and you are no XL.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 01:56:35 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on February 09, 2009, 01:07:10 PM

Some of us has known each other for ten years, and yet barely know each other at all.
Very poignant and absolutely true.

Quote from: Canuck on February 09, 2009, 01:18:19 PM

Ive seen your pictures and you are no XL.

Seems I've been avoiding the right web pages .. slywink I don't want to know how well you know SS, or see any of these pictures you speak of. Tongue

Truth be told, I found GG whilst looking through the PC Gamer mag (IIRC) and was looking to keep up to date on release dates.

It's there that I discovered ConsoleGold (which was while Ron was just starting it up for the first time). I thought to myself - hey, I should offer some help!

Which reminds me, I need to get back to work. frown

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 02:12:16 PM »

I discovered GG from PC Gamer as well and joined back in 2000. I have no idea what # I was. I do miss that site and good Rich. Evil Rich sucked but we did get GT out of it which I think is a far superior site since Ron realizes he can't do it all by himself and actually has a support staff.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 03:32:23 PM »

7 years ago here. Jan 4, 2002. I found it by reading Usenet gaming groups, which I had been using since around '96. I thought web forums were stupid smile I eventually converted after spammers and trolls just bathed usenet in their slime.

I have made some good friends at GG/OO/GT over the years. Probably a few enemies as well slywink
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 03:35:52 PM »

Pretty sure I joined GG around 2000 as well.  Damn that's a long time to hang around this particular brand of craziness.  smile

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 03:36:34 PM »

I think it's been about 10 years for me too since I wandered into Gone Gold. actually it may be more- I remember posting about Ultima IX on the boards before it came out, and that was in Fall of 1999.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 03:38:18 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 05:01:50 PM »

I didn't register until January of 2002 but I had GG bookmarked long before that and used it and Adrenaline Vault to keep track of updates to my games.  I never read any forums of any kind until I got interested in the first XBox in late 2001 it didn't take me lurking that long to see that GG was a better forum than many of the others out there.

I got nailed with Forum Effect right off I think with Medal of Honor: AA and Disciples II: Dark Prophecy, those two accurately modeled what the forum effect's future would be for me also.  One game I played through several times and bought the expansions the other has yet to actually be installed, I did read the manual though. 

If it hadn't been for Jeff trying to start up a league for Papyrus' Nascar Racing 2002 I'm not sure I would have stuck around and made the friends I did. BTW that league went nowhere but the following year when 2K3 came out we got the league running and it lasted a bit over a year.

It's been an odd but most likely similar journey to GT for me, I registered long ago then GG went down, migrated to OO and posted a bit more at Qt3, had the OO/BC split and went with BC then just stopped posting and reading forums for a year or two then came over here to GT.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 05:13:13 PM »

I joined Gonegold to announce that Pharaoh had gone gold. I was the producer. Wiki tells me that was Oct 31, 1999, so I guess my 10-year anniversary is still coming.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 06:23:51 PM »

Not exactly sure when I joined GG, but it would have been in the 2000-2001 time frame. Scary.

LiveTAG: happydog
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 06:46:47 PM »

Quote from: Rich on February 09, 2009, 05:01:50 PM

I got nailed with Forum Effect right off I think with Medal of Honor: AA and Disciples II: Dark Prophecy, those two accurately modeled what the forum effect's future would be for me also.  One game I played through several times and bought the expansions the other has yet to actually be installed, I did read the manual though. 

If I follow the order of your thoughts, the game you didn't install was Disciples. Let me just say you missed one of the best TBS games ever. Go back and play it now.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 06:49:28 PM »

Pssh, joined in '98 - yeah, that's right.

(I think it was '98...I was the 400th-something member, so if anyone was around that, they'll know for sure)

TheMissingLink on PSN
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 07:57:57 PM »

I dont recall when I joined the forums or  GG but geez time sure does fly. It seems like just a couple years ago we were all wondering about Y2K. And before that i was playing Duke Nukem 3D. Going back and back there was Tie Fighter and DOOM II. Where does time go. I cant grasp that its been 9 years since 2000. I thought Id been gaming a long time back them..since 1994. Wow. Im old and Im sad.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 07:59:48 PM »

I remember signing up in the forums to play in the Madden League online.  It was a lot of fun, and we had some great write-ups.  I believe it was in 2000 when I signed up, but I'm not 100% positive.

My opinion of Rich has obviously been soured, and I can't excuse what he did to us.  I had emailed with him on a few occasions, and he seemed nice.  I even helped get an EB Games gift card for Christmas one year.  Now I can't stand thinking about him.

I figured out that I registered on 3/14/2001.  I think I've been working for CG/GT since 2003, just before E3 started.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:06:49 AM by Graham » Logged

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 08:09:34 PM »

Then it must be 10 years for me, as well!  ninja
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 08:10:09 PM »

not sure when, but it was post '99, right around when ve3d exploded and iirc, op flash was on the horizon and i bought a uk copy to play it 6 months earlier.  i guess that makes it ~2000-2001 or so.  

and yes, it is odd to think of all the people you know who you have never met (or only briefly)

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 08:15:43 PM »

I made exactly one very fun contribution to the Gone Gold site - back in 1999, a buddy and I attended a small Nox (a strange-perspective Diablo clone basically although it inexplicably lacked co-op play) launch party at a LAN gaming center (long since defunct) in Virginia. A Westwood Studios/EA (remember them?) rep was on hand to chat with us gamers, introduce us to the game and its controls, and then let us play on the PCs which were all set up to run NOX in multiplayer.

They also ordered lots of free pizza from a nearby Jerry's, and we could drink all the soda I wanted. I had so much fun. We didn't get copies of the game, but I remember getting some fun merchandise (I think it was a T-shirt and a keychain and button).

Anyway, I told Rich I had attended and offered to do a little write-up for GG which he accepted. It turns out there was a second Gone Gold visitor there too - I think it might've been the guy I talked to while eating pizza, who was crazy about OGR (Online Gaming Review). So Rich posted both of our impressions from the event, and that was about the closest I ever got to gaming journalism.  icon_cool I should've printed or saved the GG site the day my piece ran.  tear

I was sorry to hear about GG unraveling -- I had stopped visiting the site at that point and wasn't really a regular at its forums as I've become here.

I loved that game prices round-up by David what's-his-name. That was my bible for finding discounted games for a long time.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 08:18:43 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 08:27:03 PM »

To aid in the trip down memory lane, here's Wikipedia's notable video games in 1999 cut down to just PC titles:

• January 31 - Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (PC)
  • February 28 - Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance (PC)
  • March 16 - EverQuest (PC)
  • March 31 - RollerCoaster Tycoon (PC)
  • April 10 - Warzone 2100 (PC)
  • April 30 - Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast (PC)
  • April 30 - Star Wars: Episode I Racer (N64, PC)
  • June 1 - Heroes of Might and Magic III (PC)
  • June 14 - Descent≥ (PC)
  • June 18 - Counter-Strike (original PC MOD)
  • June 30 - Kingpin: Life of Crime (PC)
  • July 31 - Outcast (PC)
  • August 11 - System Shock 2 (PC)
  • August 27 - Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun (PC)
  • September 30 - Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (PC)
  • October 31 - Half-Life: Opposing Force (PC)
  • October 31 - Ultima IX: Ascension (PC)
  • November 9 - RollerCoaster Tycoon: Corkscrew Follies (PC)
  • November 15 - Homeworld (PC)
  • November 26 - Unreal Tournament (DC, PC, PS2)
  • December 2 - Quake III Arena (PC)
  • December 12 - Planescape: Torment (PC)
  • December 31 - Battlezone II: Combat Commander (PC)
I'd try and pull some shots of Gone Gold circa 1999 but I can't access the internet wayback machine at work.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 08:46:32 PM »

I'm pretty sure I joined in 2001.  I began working with Starshifter and he turned me on to GoneGold.  When it blew up I floundered without a forum for a while but eventually found my way to OO and GT.  GT has become my primary forum of choice but when traffic here slows down I peak over at OO from time to time when I need a distraction.  Ultimately I've known a number of folks from the community for about 8 years. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 08:54:45 PM »

I discovered Gone Gold in late 99 through some of the forum regulars who also posted on the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg newsgroup.  Hard to believe it's been that long!
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 09:02:04 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 09, 2009, 08:27:03 PM

To aid in the trip down memory lane, here's Wikipedia's notable video games in 1999 cut down to just PC titles:

• January 31 - Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (PC)
  • February 28 - Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance (PC)
  • March 16 - EverQuest (PC)
  • March 31 - RollerCoaster Tycoon (PC)
  • April 10 - Warzone 2100 (PC)
  • April 30 - Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast (PC)
  • April 30 - Star Wars: Episode I Racer (N64, PC)
  • June 1 - Heroes of Might and Magic III (PC)
  • June 14 - Descent≥ (PC)
  • June 18 - Counter-Strike (original PC MOD)
  • June 30 - Kingpin: Life of Crime (PC)
  • July 31 - Outcast (PC)
  • August 11 - System Shock 2 (PC)
  • August 27 - Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun (PC)
  • September 30 - Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (PC)
  • October 31 - Half-Life: Opposing Force (PC)
  • October 31 - Ultima IX: Ascension (PC)
  • November 9 - RollerCoaster Tycoon: Corkscrew Follies (PC)
  • November 15 - Homeworld (PC)
  • November 26 - Unreal Tournament (DC, PC, PS2)
  • December 2 - Quake III Arena (PC)
  • December 12 - Planescape: Torment (PC)
  • December 31 - Battlezone II: Combat Commander (PC)

What a crappy year '99 was for PC Gaming  ninja

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 09:05:30 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 09, 2009, 10:55:45 AM

I think I joined GoneGold back in 2000, but I don't think a lot of people in here even recognize my nick.  icon_razz

I remember you TiLT.  Probably a lot more of the early GoneGolders too, if I had a decent enough memory.

I have no idea when I joined, but I recall it must have been sometime around '98, because I seem to remember being active on GoneGold around the same time I was all hyped up about European Air War, which came out in Oct. '98.  I'm pretty sure I had more posts on GG in however many years I posted there (3-4?) than I do on OO/GT combined.  I never quite got as active in the forums here as I did on GG.  Or maybe GG's demise killed something in me.   disgust

XBox Live:  JNacht
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 09:53:23 PM »

My favorite game that year was actually Delphine crybaby's sharp 3-D Diablo clone Darkstone, which I ran a fan site for (The Shadow's Darkstone Tomb) for about 2-3 years.

I actually didn't play much heavily on that list outside of System Shock 2 and Homeworld, but yeah, back in '99, PC retail shelves were like being a kid in a candy store in terms of developed-for-PC games and very few multi platform ports. Which isn't to say you can't do a fine multiplatform game that's fine on PC (i.e., Fallout 3, Bioshock etc.) but I think back in the days when PC games were almost always specifically developed for the platform, there seemed to be more hits than misses. Or is it just rose-colored glasses nostalgia?  icon_razz
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 09:55:13 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 10:07:44 PM »

On the internet, nothing is truly gone forever.  For those who want to see it:
Spoiler for Hiden:
revisit January 24th, 2002 and the forum

For those who don't, don't.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 10:10:49 PM »

God PC shelf space is a thing of the past. I went to pick up a PSP game at Gamestop last week. I asked where the PC stuff was and damn if I wasn't standing right beside it. 3 shelves big..each shelf about 2' across..so maybe 20 games total there. frown

1994 - 1999 I can remember Gamestop(software Etc) and Electronics Boutique having one or one and half walls of the store filled with PC games. The consoles both..SNES and Genesis had very small spaces to themselves. You could find all the new PC games plus stuff from years before. it was heaven. My local Software Etc even had like 3 or 4 demo computers up running looping demo videos of games coming soon. I recall seeing Wing Commander II and Star Trek 25th Anniversary ruunning for sure. I sat there hours just watching those things and browsing shelves of games and racks of magazines.

I still recall calling my local VHS rental place to see if a certain console game had come in so i could rent it. I had to go by magazine release dates back then to guess at it. The net was not the net of today. There were few graphical sites out there and you still got your PC game patches off BBSs smile

Whoops sorta drove off topic there. Sorry. Just took me back to my best years.

EDIT: I also would like to say I miss those old big PC game boxes frown
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:14:47 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 10:18:31 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on February 09, 2009, 10:07:44 PM

On the internet, nothing is truly gone forever.  For those who want to see it:
Spoiler for Hiden:
revisit January 24th, 2002 and the forum

For those who don't, don't.

That's pretty awesome. I tried to drill back to the 9/11 thread but it wasn't available.  icon_frown  Reading that front page makes me smile at the memories and Rich's distinct personality as it showed through in his writing and frown at how it all fell apart.  I hope he's doing ok.

Now that I think about it, I know for sure that I was at GG as early as 98 as that's when I started my first real office job and that's where I discovered GG.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 10:21:22 PM »

LOL my signature from Dec 2001:
AvP 2 - My GOTY 2001
I Love My Gamecube!

My original leo8877 crashed and burned in the forum crash.  When I registered for the second time, it was on    11-30-2000.  I am pretty sure I'd been there for a couple years already when that happened.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:23:07 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 10:30:05 PM »

Memories for Ron

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2009, 10:41:02 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 09, 2009, 10:30:05 PM

Funny.... even back then he was saying it was going to be fixed in the redesign.

I keed... i keed..   
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2009, 10:53:54 PM »

Rich's thoughts on Mafia.   nod

Spoiler for Hiden:
Nortonís Ice Cream is on the southwest corner of the central plaza in Chinatown. Iím standing in the central plaza as I write this, taking notes as I walk around this unique and colorful district in the city of Lost Heaven. I mention Nortonís because there is a fender bender just outside their front door, and the ensuing traffic jam and honking horns are reminders that no place stays peaceful for long. I think Iíll take a walk.

Itís bright and a little crisp today, too cold for shirtsleeves, but not too cold for open windows to dot the buildings that surround the plaza. Fresh duck hangs in the grocery store windows and I breathe in the exotic smells as I pass by. I see a sign for Bad Guy Pale Dry ale, and itís awfully tempting at only five cents a glass, but somebody has to drive my orange Thor ragtop home, and since Iím running a little short on friends lately, I guess I should stay pale and dry myself. I can always drop by Salieriís bar later when I get back to Little Italy.

There are beautiful women in this part of the city. I admire them as they walk by. We are worlds apart--cultural differences and all thatóeven though we live in the same city and our neighborhoods are less than a mile apart. I know the 1930ís are pretty progressive compared to any decade that came before it, but I donít think dating a Chinese woman would go over very well at home or at work. Plus I couldnít exactly explain my day job to her, now could I? Every choice we make opens up some doors and closes others. Sometimes I can even hear them lock behind me.

Itís not like me to complain about my life. The Don is a great boss, Paulie is the best friend a guy could ever ask for, and Sarahówell, Sarah is just beyond words. Iíve just been thinking about things every once in a while. I think it all started when I snuck onto that luxury paddlewheel steamer (believe me, you donít want to know why I was there, although I bet you read about it in the papersóyeah, that was me). While I was waiting to take care of my business, I walked around and just listened to the beautiful people. They werenít that different from meóbetter accents, better clothes, sure, but underneath we are all pretty much the same. I listened to the band for a few minutes on the top deck, and that swing music just got into my blood. Everything felt fine. My life feels good, usually, but not fine. It made me wonder what my life might have been like if I made different choices, if I hadnít accepted an invitation to join a certain organization. I didnít have to, but I couldnít see spending my whole life broke as a cabbie. Now Iíve got plenty of dough, but what they say is true. Nothing is free.

What they should have said is that the only thing free is nothing.

When I got back from that cruise I drove out to Oak Knoll that night, past the houses of the rich and famous. More security guards than I have family. You wouldn't believe the rides people have out there, either. I wonder how they got it all, whether they think they deserve it, whether they lie awake at night like I do.

I don't mind blood on my hands. I just wish I could get it out of my dreams. They say the essence of a great man is that he overcomes his flaws. Well, I must have a chance to be truly great.

Maybe later Iíll take a drive past the airport. It always clears my head to drive up into the mountains. That road has enough curves to forget everything, including your troubles. One night I took a side road, just a dirt trail, really, and before I knew it I pulled up to what looked like a logging camp. That's the thing about Lost Heaven. Look around--you never know what you'll find.

This isn't a game. It's a world. It's Mafia, and we are never going to look at games the same way again.

I can't even compare this game to other games. I have to compare it to film, and that is a compliment of the highest order. I thought of two directors while I played this game--Quentin Tarentino and Alfred Hitchcock. Tarentino is an obvious choice, but what impressed me even more were the times that I thought of Hitchcock. There is a chase scene that reminded me strongly of the general feel of North by Northwest. There is a second chase scene that begins up an agonizingly steep hill, and the sense of helpless urgency created by the terrain was an ingenious nod to Hitchcock. The camera angles used in the cut scenes were seemingly influenced by him as well--influenced but not copied.

There are so many "best evers" in this game that it's hard to list them all. Best game world in terms of complexity, architecture, and detail. Best writing. Best graphics (lighting effects and textures are sensational). Best sound effects. Best voice acting. Best soundtrack. What is even more incredible is that in these categories Mafia is not just barely the best ever--it is truly a leap forward. It's not just a small difference--it's a shocking, brilliant gap. Illusion Softworks has vaulted into the ranks of the elite developers, maybe even right to the top, on the strength of this game.

While I'm mentioning best ever categories, the soundtrack and voice acting have to receive special mention. Instead of an original soundtrack, actual period music is used, and it is just absolutely spectacular. Django Reinhardt, The Mills Brothers, Louis Prima, Lonnie Johnson, Louis Jordan--the songs perfectly reflect the era because they were part of the era. If you haven't heard of these musicians, they're well worth listening to outside the game as well. The voice acting is also stellar. What an enormous difference it makes in the immersive quality of a game when the voice talent cares about what they're doing and has real ability.

Great games, like great people, overcome their flaws. Mafia has them, but for once the flaws didn't make me turn away. This is the only game I've ever played without being able to choose where I save that I didn't quit on. The save points are hard-coded into the missions, and as you would expect, some are unevenly placed. However, and I'll probably never say this about another game, there are times during the game where not being able to save creates an enormous amount of tension, particularly in one particular mission involving a race. I don't want to drop any big spoilers for people who haven't played the game, but there is a race mission and you have to win to progress in the story. It lasts between eight and nine minutes, your car is very touchy in terms of handling, and the other drivers will actively impede your progress. This is the absolute poster child for the kind of mission I can't stand.

And I couldn't stop playing it. The graphics were so exhilarating (like the Grand Prix Legends engine gone to heaven) and the sensation of speed so compelling that I just kept driving. I couldn't even finish a race the first five or six times I drove the mission because the car was so twitchy. Kept playing. Couldn't figure out how I could possibly ever win the damn race. Kept playing. Cursed, threw the controller. Kept playing. Finished third a couple of times, then second. Kept playing. I'd probably put two hours into this mission, and I realized that my neck was practically locked into place because of how tensely I was holding my body. I was just totally into this damn race. Then I drove a flawless race, finish in eight minutes, won by thirteen seconds, and I was whooping and hollering like I just won the Indy 500.
The race was so good that it became a game inside a game. I think that's what kept me going. There were a couple of other missions that were very difficult for me, and I got frustrated, but I never considered stepping back or taking a few days off. There was no way I was stopping. The missions themselves are generally fascinating--there is an amazing mix of activities and levels of difficulty as well as locations. You can usually take several different approaches successfully, but there is usually a key, conceptually, in terms of completing the mission, and if you haven't figured this out you better hope you have plenty of ammo and very good aim. The best approaches are very ingenious, at times, and they usually require you thinking about the world as a world instead of a game.

This is the first time I've ever played a game with problematic design decisions where my response has been "I don't care." I just don't. It's just too fantastic to be dragged down. The game affected me more than any other game I've ever played.

Mafia affected me because the game broke from the traditional game mold. What we mostly feel in games is adrenaline. That's exciting, and it keeps me playing, but there needs to be more. I want to feel dread. I want to feel regret.

I want to feel human.

I felt some of these things in Mafia, and that alone makes it groundbreaking, at least for me.

I still want more, though. I want relationships to develop, to prosper and to sour. If a game has a two gig footprint, there has to be room for relationships. It can't all be about adrenaline. I can get the adrenaline from Speedball on the Amiga 500, circa 1989. A game has to have context to be meaningful, and without meaning, a game can be great fun but not great.

I'm not sure if this is the greatest game I ever played. I got to the final mission, and before I started I knew that if it was done just right, I would write about it in terms of being the greatest. The setup for the final mission is just epic, the location is epic, the mission itself is outstanding, and yet--two missteps, though small, made me hold back just slightly. The save game for the last mission is placed inappropriately, I felt, which drains some emotional impact from the mission. There is also a voiceover I wish I could just have cut out entirely except for the first few lines. I was trying to think about all the things that had happened to me, all the amazing things, and the game wouldn't let me reflect. That's another feeling I don't think I've ever had in a game before, a moment where I was reflecting back on all the things I'd seen and felt, and thinking about them not as a game player but as a human being.

As I write that, though, I realize I've already made my decision. There is no other game where I could drive my car around the city, park somewhere, and just enjoy the day. I can do that in Lost Heaven. Swinging tunes, a bustling city, a thousand things to see and do. I think I'll just put the car in the garage, take the trolley, connect with the elevated train station on Market Avenue, and ride the train to the waterfront. It's a great day for exploring. Be seeing you.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2009, 11:27:43 PM »

I started there sometime in 2002 I think.  I remember I was getting close to 3,000 posts by the time it folded.

I miss Jetfred.  He pretty much disappeared after GG folded.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2009, 11:51:42 PM »

Wow the web archive stuff is hilarious. I remember having to change my forum name after the crash by having to add theNextGeneration to the end. I remember lurking late in 1999, and then fully joining in the spring of 2000

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 12:45:13 AM »

Hmm, now I'm going to have to figure out when I joined GG...

On a side note... Blackjack, I think I was actually at the Nox event in Virginia with a friend too (if it was in Northern Virginia)! I wasn't the OGR guy but that was the only release event like that I've been to. It was actually a pretty fun, if limited, game.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 06:43:42 AM »

I have no idea when I joined GG, probably around 2000-2002, maybe earlier. I was a lurker mostly in GG, still am for the most part.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 07:03:52 AM »

Joined 2001 as far I can remeber...dang, thats a long time ago!!

you think we'll be here in another 10 years?

A new one
warning

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 12:33:54 PM »

Quote from: Laner on February 09, 2009, 08:54:45 PM

I discovered Gone Gold in late 99 through some of the forum regulars who also posted on the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg newsgroup.  Hard to believe it's been that long!

It's weird but I still remember some tags people had.

You were always (and still are in my mind) "Laner - Gone Golder - Extra Funky"
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2009, 02:15:06 PM »

Seems like the profile pages are included in that Web Archive site so I was able to look up my user profile and discover I joined on 6-30-2000. Kinda cool to browse through GG again smile.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2009, 03:17:24 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 10, 2009, 07:03:52 AM

Joined 2001 as far I can remeber...dang, thats a long time ago!!

you think we'll be here in another 10 years?

well, we will, but you..... well.....

Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: