http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 02:52:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOLY CRAP!!! VOLTRON Movie Announced!!  (Read 4278 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2005, 01:16:09 AM »

Filmic Adaptation Announced for Greatest Anime About Giant Robot Cats.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 01:34:18 AM »

perfect thread title!

I am loving this new movie trend, it's like being a kid again.  Ok, what beloved childhood cartoon is next...a live action Duck Tales movie?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 01:38:07 AM »

COOOL...
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 02:06:23 AM »

I sure hope it's the lion Voltron and not that ghetto car Voltron.

Not sure we needed an f'ing Voltron movie...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 02:14:46 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

Don't worry, I think I'm the only person on the face of the planet that liked the vehicle Voltron better.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 02:27:54 AM »

Maybe they can get Andy Dick to play that nerdy gay character from the show. I hated that character and I hate that actor.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 03:03:18 AM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
perfect thread title!

I am loving this new movie trend, it's like being a kid again.  Ok, what beloved childhood cartoon is next...a live action Duck Tales movie?

TailSpin my friend.  TailSpin!

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 03:05:27 AM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
perfect thread title!

TailSpin my friend.  TailSpin!

Antonio Banderas as Don Carnage? smile    Tale Spin was my favorite show, followed by Duck Tales.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 04:48:54 AM »

Tailspin reminded me completely of Tales of the Gold Monkey

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 04:49:43 AM »

I was always partial to Chip n' Dale's Rescue Rangers.

-Autistic Angel
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 04:54:20 AM »

The sad thing is that I can remember the theme songs to each of those Dinsey cartoons.  Sadly I can't even remember my own cell phone number...

I did a Google search for "car voltron" and found a rather amusing argument about the proper name.  Apparently "vehicle voltron" is the appropriate title.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 10:41:18 AM »

I fondly remember coming home from class and watching Bonkers and Darkwing Duck.  Ah memories... smile

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 01:17:48 PM »

Don't worry, I think I'm the only person on the face of the planet that liked the vehicle Voltron better.

I liked the "other" Voltron as well.  Cool weapons (the rings), the ability to form lesser combinations, and a more sci-fi setting made it cool.  The only thing I couldn't stand about it was the whole 5 minute battery trick that got overplayed all the time.

Anyway, this is absolutely fantastic news.  Looking forward to it. smile
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 01:57:49 PM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
I fondly remember coming home from class and watching Bonkers and Darkwing Duck.  Ah memories... smile

Young'n. :wink:

How come the "Disney Afternoon" theme song I now have running through my head is the one show that hasn't been mentioned yet?

"Bouncing here and there and everywhere..."

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 01:59:24 PM »

I never got to see the new Voltron. I heard it was all hardcore CGI and looked kinda plastic-like.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 02:15:28 PM »

How come the "Disney Afternoon" theme song I now have running through my head is the one show that hasn't been mentioned yet?

"Bouncing here and there and everywhere..."

You're making the old Disney theme songs bounce through my head! Stop it!

I'm gonna have the Gummi Bears theme stuck in my head now for hours...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2005, 03:02:52 PM »

Every Saturday afternoon this local college radio station plays several hours of a capella music.  The best one?  A medley of your favorite childhood cartoon songs.  Gummi Bears, Duck Tales, and Tale Spin all blend into each other, its great!  

Just did some poking around, and it looks like its "Cartoon Medley" by the BU Dear Abbeys.  CD is for sale

Or just listen online 2-5pm Eastern on Saturday and call and request it!
http://www.wers.org/allacappella/
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 03:38:04 PM »

Young'n. :wink:

Hey, thats what I keep feeling reading this thread. Voltron was old school.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2005, 08:43:05 PM »

Very cool.  I loved Voltron.  I'm actually watching it all again with my five year old.  We are through most of the Lion Voltron shows, and he'll be getting some of the Vehicle Voltron episodes for his birthday.  For his birthday party, he's having a Voltron party, with Voltron plates from eBay.  Already bought him a few toys off of eBay as well.

I'm having a harder time getting through the newer episodes of Voltron that were made in Korea, the quality just isn't anywhere near as good as the originals.

Next we'll probably watch Star Blazers, the first anime I watched, which is all out on DVD.

Tailspins was one of my favorites as well!  I did a search, and its almost impossible to find.  Did this ever make video or DVD?  I couldn't even find any good sites about it.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2005, 09:55:58 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
Tailspins was one of my favorites as well!  I did a search, and its almost impossible to find.  Did this ever make video or DVD?  I couldn't even find any good sites about it.

lol, a Netflix search for Tale Spin brings up Zatoichi.  Blind swordsman, bear flying a plane, blind swordsman...
Baron Of Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2005, 04:21:32 AM »

Form feet and legs
Form arms and body
And I'll form the head

GoneGold refugee, needs food and place to stay
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2005, 04:33:05 AM »

Next we'll probably watch Star Blazers, the first anime I watched, which is all out on DVD.

You are the best dad ever.  That was my favorite show way back when.  I still have great memories of rushing home after school to see the next episode.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2005, 05:28:58 AM »

I know some of the eps hit video at one point, 'cause I bought the tape with "The Snow Duck" on it.  Great episode, that - prominent Wildcat and much fun in a Thembrian prison camp.

Think it's in a box in the closet...  May have to dig it up.

unbreakable
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2005, 08:40:26 AM »

I guess there are three of us.

That princess screaming every episode just grated on my nerves.  The cat one started out good, but ended up being MOTS every episode.  Plus, the "Votron Got Served" episode was classic.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2005, 12:56:38 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I never got to see the new Voltron. I heard it was all hardcore CGI and looked kinda plastic-like.

Horrid piece of trash.  It was awful.  Don't bother.

As an old-school Star Blazer fan, I loved this show (although I think G-Force/Battle of the Planets may have been my first anime).  One word of warning...I just finished up my Season 1 DVDs and the show does not age well at all.  It's pretty clear the guys who did the English script must not have been very interested in their work because some of the dialog translation is just plain awful.  Still, the first time I heard the theme song and saw the wave motion gun fire again, it was just like being a kid again.  Your kids will love it.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2005, 02:37:22 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"

I guess there are three of us.

For vehicle Voltron, I had the most amazing jigsaw puzzle as a kid.  First, you make an ordinary puzzle image, with a neat Voltron scene.  But!  Flip it over when you're done, and you have flattened versions of all the vehicles.  Push them out, and oh yes, you fold them into 3d versions of all the vehicles.  Don't stop there!  You can now, yes indeed, join them together to form one mighty stand up robot.

Best puzzle ever.
Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2005, 04:22:58 AM »

Quote from: "Gedd"

As an old-school Star Blazer fan, I loved this show (although I think G-Force/Battle of the Planets may have been my first anime).  One word of warning...I just finished up my Season 1 DVDs and the show does not age well at all.  It's pretty clear the guys who did the English script must not have been very interested in their work because some of the dialog translation is just plain awful.  Still, the first time I heard the theme song and saw the wave motion gun fire again, it was just like being a kid again.  Your kids will love it.

I may not be getting what you mean when you talk about the awful dialog translation, but the scripts for the American version of Star Blazers aren't intended to be just a translation of the Japanese.  The shows were rewritten for an American audience and in some cases also re-edited to tone down or cut some of the violence.  (My apologies if I misunderstood what you were saying.)

From Yamato to Argo

Even though I don't think the animation quality holds up that well, I totally agree about the theme song and just seeing the ship again.  I think back then Battle of the Planets came on either right before or after Star Blazers.  It was one full hour of after-school bliss.  biggrin  I think Gatchman/Battle of the Planets/etc pretty much started the whole team show concept that later led to Voltron, Power Rangers, etc.

Do you happen to know if the Yamato movies (which I think condense a season into a movie-length feature) are worth watching?

Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2005, 04:28:13 PM »

I may not be getting what you mean when you talk about the awful dialog translation, but the scripts for the American version of Star Blazers aren't intended to be just a translation of the Japanese.

Yeah, I worded that poorly. I know it wasn't meant to be a direct translation, just meant that the dialog was pretty bad most of the time. smile

I haven't actually seen the movies.  My exposure to Star Blazers was limited to what aired back in those days, which was season 1 and most of season 2.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2005, 07:23:04 PM »

I've seen some of the Star Blazers episodes lately, and they are more then fine for me.  They aren't up to current standards, but its still a fun show.  Quality/scriptwise, it has to be far beyond Voltron, as least the depth of the Lion Voltron.  I'll have to watch more vehicle one to know.

The Lions Voltron always involves one of the Lions or pilots getting incapacitated for a bit, a robeast beating on the others, until the other Lion returns, they form Voltron, then the blazing sword, and chop smile.  

We just started the Vehicle voltron episodes.  They seem fine, the Vehicle voltron is okay, but the characters don't seem as likeable.  I also don't like the fact that most of the vehicles are mostly just boxes.  

Battle of the Planets was another favorite.  I used to build Lego versions of the ship.  Fun stuff.  I'll have to rent and watch some of those as well.

I remember getting up at 5:30am to watch Star Blazers.  The good old days smile.  My kids are definitely enjoying watching all these things!

---
Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2005, 07:48:45 PM »

Yep, the good ol' Voltron formula.   Just like the A-Team converted their van into a fighting machine every night at 8:50 PM, Voltron would get his ass kicked around for a while until going with the Blazing Sword every day at about 3:55 PM. biggrin

At least Star Blazers and Battle of the Planets didn't use the Wave Motion Gun and Fiery Phoenix, respectively, at the end of every damn episode.   The Fiery Phoenix may have been almost every episode, though. Cool

Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2005, 12:20:21 AM »

Quote from: "Freezer-TPF-"
Yep, the good ol' Voltron formula.   Just like the A-Team converted their van into a fighting machine every night at 8:50 PM, Voltron would get his ass kicked around for a while until going with the Blazing Sword every day at about 3:55 PM. biggrin

Very true, although I seem to recall the Voltron finale being pretty epic.  A cameo from vehicle Voltron, the mice get their own ship...fun stuff.

At least Star Blazers and Battle of the Planets didn't use the Wave Motion Gun and Fiery Phoenix, respectively, at the end of every damn episode.   The Fiery Phoenix may have been almost every episode, though. Cool

Also true, although I do have to laugh at the number of times the ship went from being unbelievably damaged to totally healed (sometimes alternating between shots) or Sandor  came up with some new cool invention that no one knew about (a Desslock gun reflecting shield, think he might have mentioned that).

I love the show, just sometimes the dialog doesn't fit the scene, that's my only very minor beef.  Sometimes I think it would be better if I could just mute the spoken audio. smile

The big surprise for me was how bad Battle of the Planets was.  I got some tapes of that several years ago, and while again it was awesome seeing the team transmute, hop in their vehicles, and join up with the Phoenix (let alone the whirlwind pyramid), I was shocked at how badly edited it was (the scenes rarely made a logical transition from one to the next) and the dialog, again, was awful.  Now I know that the main reason for it was because Sandy Frank added in all those dumb 7-Zark-7 scenes, so they had to chop out the "good stuff", and of course Keyop's character supposedly swore every other word out of his mouth (the real origin of his speech impediment), so I fully understand *why* it's bad...doesn't change my feelings towards it. smile

I'm going to have to check out the SB movies at some point.  I wonder if they're subtitled or if they were given the "Americanization" treatment that the series had.
Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2005, 04:58:20 AM »

Gedd - Have you checked out the Gatchaman OVA DVD?  The updated animation style is a bit more watchable and the material is not Americanized. The DVD has three 45 minute episodes with either Japanese with subtitles or English dubbed.  Definitely worth viewing for a dose of modernized nostalgia.

Gatchaman DVD

Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2005, 02:57:25 PM »

Thanks for the link Freezer, might just have to check that out. smile
Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2005, 04:59:36 PM »

Quote from: "Gedd"
Thanks for the link Freezer, might just have to check that out. smile

I think I bought mine at *gasp* Best Buy, so it should be easy to find.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2005, 12:32:14 PM »

The big surprise for me was how bad Battle of the Planets was. I got some tapes of that several years ago, and while again it was awesome seeing the team transmute, hop in their vehicles, and join up with the Phoenix (let alone the whirlwind pyramid), I was shocked at how badly edited it was (the scenes rarely made a logical transition from one to the next) and the dialog, again, was awful.

Yeah, I was shocked as well when I watched a couple episodes last year.  I'd be curious to watch the Gatchaman version, which is supposedly much better.

The Lion Voltron finally was okay.  I liked it until the mice had to save the day, yet again, then Voltron easily beat the King off.  Voltron is another show I'd be curious to watch in its original Japanese, so we don't have them fighting 'robots' all the time smile.

What good newer anime is around now?  Cowboy Bebop is great, but what about space stuff?  How is the Gundam stuff?

---
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2005, 11:11:19 PM »

The Lion Voltron finally was okay.  I liked it until the mice had to save the day, yet again, then Voltron easily beat the King off.  Voltron is another show I'd be curious to watch in its original Japanese, so we don't have them fighting 'robots' all the time smile.

Sounds like a Voltron / Urotsukidoji cross-over I was quite happy knowing nothing about...  :wink:

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2005, 04:27:00 AM »

What good newer anime is around now?  Cowboy Bebop is great, but what about space stuff?  How is the Gundam stuff?

Try Outlaw Star. Loads of fun until the end when it goes off the rails, but otherwise good stuff.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2005, 05:48:24 PM »

since we're talking about Voltron, these should be mentioned:

Centibestial King GoLion
Armored Fleet Dairugger XV

(the series from which the 2 cartoons were ripped off from)

the Space Battleship Yamato movies?  i'm a big fan of old anime, but couldn't get through the first one... will have to try again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: